• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

The jury has found former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin guilty on all the counts he faced over the death of George Floyd. The trial has been one of the most closely watched cases in recent memory, setting off a national reckoning on police violence and systemic racism even before the trial commenced.

Chauvin has been found guilty of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. He is being remanded to custody and sentencing is expected in eight weeks, Judge Peter Cahill said.
Second-degree murder — unintentional is defined as causing death without intent to do so, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense. The maximum sentence for second-degree murder is 40 years.

Third-degree murder is causing death to an individual by "perpetrating an act imminently dangerous to others and evidencing a depraved mind without regard for human life," but without the intent to cause death. It carries a maximum sentence of 25 years.

Second-degree manslaughter is causing the death of another by "culpable negligence, creating an unreasonable risk" in which the defendant "consciously takes the risk of causing death or great bodily harm to another individual." It carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.
www.npr.org

Derek Chauvin Found Guilty Of George Floyd's Murder

Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, has been found guilty of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Last edited:

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Nice to see that once out of every 10,000 cases (actually probably way way more) that justice is actually served.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Going to prison, murderer. This doesn't begin to address injustice in America, but perhaps the signaling of a shift in accountability.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Thinking about George Floyd calling out for his mother while this monster choked the life out of him.

This is an emotional day.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It should have been obvious, it should happen far more often, but I am still celebrating. Hope this is the beginning of steps of making a better city here in Minneapolis.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't even be stressed out on the results in the first place considering it's so clear cut and anyone with a conscience can see that he's guilty but I'll take it.

Edit: bail revoked too? Nice!

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
That's one down. Hopefully, the other two won't get off because Chauvin was convicted.
I shouldn't even be stressed out on the results in the first place considering it's so clear cut and anyone with a conscience can see that he's guilty but I'll take it.

Edit: bail revoked too? Nice!
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm usually pessimistic by nature about these cases, but this one hits different.

Last edited:

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I hope that we can look back on this 20 years from now and say that this was truly the turning point.