• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I think the it's lost a lot in the back half. There's pretty much nothing going on between leaving the herbivore area until you reach the top of the lift hill and it doesn't tell as good of a story.

In the original you go off course because the boat ahead of you has been attacked by dinos and is blocking the normal route and Jurassic Park staff try to evacuate you through the Environmental Systems building. Along the way you see the T-Rex knock a Ford Explorer over a ledge and dilophosauruses attack you from another raft that's been attacked. Raptors and the T-Rex attack and cause damage to the building, which causes you to fall down the drop before the T-Rex can eat you.

Now you're just following the intended route the whole way. There are no animatronics or anything in the whole Carnivore Cove area; just characters from the movie on screens (really cheesy). The Environmental Systems building is now just the T-Rex enclosure, which is at the top of an 85' lift hill for some reason. There's an indoor jungle at the top and nothing causes you to go down the drop. You just seen Blue and Indominous stare at each other and then the T-Rex joins in and you fall.

It looks so sterile and kinda cartoony. The Indominous Rex enclosure looks especially silly.

I'm avoiding watching the video, but yeah, wouldn't the aquarium make way more sense to have as part of the GIANT show building? (or the lead-up to it?) I'm shocked that isn't where they put it.
I don't think so. It's silly enough they turned the giant show building into the T-Rex enclosure. Why would they build a jungle enclosure for a dinosaur the size of a bus 85' in the air? Putting an aquarium upstairs would make even less sense.

Where the aquarium is is fine. It's like an above ground pool with a tunnel through it.

Oct 25, 2017
They probably should've put the tunnel precisely between where it is now and where the "off the rails" part of the ride begins.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I'm going to miss that, but here's hoping whatever comes next is done right.

It's the ONE ride my daughter brought herself to go on during the family trip a few years ago. I don't think she's ever held on to me tighter than when she saw the T-Rex head.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good update to the ride, it's nice to see enough of the old ride survived for nostalgia purposes. universal studios as a whole has been improving with their attractions,

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Seems like most impressions from riders are pretty positive about the mosasaur scene. It can hard to property convey scale on a YouTube video and I'd bet that it's more impressive in person. It probably doesn't make as much sense as an opening scene as the original gate reveal, but it looks fine on its own.

Definitely agree that the ride is a little barren between the mosasaur scene and the lift hill, particularly the Predator Cove scene. Looks a bit better at nighttime (the lit up Predator Cove sign with missing letters is pretty slick), but yeah. Nothing really dynamic going on there.

In the original you go off course because the boat ahead of you has been attacked by dinos and is blocking the normal route and Jurassic Park staff try to evacuate you through the Environmental Systems building. Along the way you see the T-Rex knock a Ford Explorer over a ledge and dilophosauruses attack you from another raft that's been attacked. Raptors and the T-Rex attack and cause damage to the building, which causes you to fall down the drop before the T-Rex can eat you.

Now you're just following the intended route the whole way. There are no animatronics or anything in the whole Carnivore Cove area; just characters from the movie on screens (really cheesy). The Environmental Systems building is now just the T-Rex enclosure, which is at the top of an 85' lift hill for some reason. There's an indoor jungle at the top and nothing causes you to go down the drop. You just seen Blue and Indominous stare at each other and then the T-Rex joins in and you fall.

Maybe the drop is now an intended part of the "canon" ride? Not sure if the queue video would elaborate on that.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One day I'll get my jeep ride.

One day.

I'll celebrate the announcement by playing KOTOR 3 and rewatching the Seattle Mariner's World Series win.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the drop is now an intended part of the "canon" ride? Not sure if the queue video would elaborate on that.
I'm sure that's the intent. It's just way less intense and scary than dinosaurs causing the building to explode and makes less sense in building a sense of place. Nothing really happens directly to the raft that wasn't intended. Makes the danger feel more distant.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think so. It's silly enough they turned the giant show building into the T-Rex enclosure. Why would they build a jungle enclosure for a dinosaur the size of a bus 85' in the air? Putting an aquarium upstairs would make even less sense.

There's no reason that the ride has to begin at ground level, thematically. Hell, you already descend hundreds of feet into the lower lot anyway for the ride entrance. Regardless, it's not like much of anything makes any damn sense in Jurassic World anyway.

Despite that, I wasn't proposing strictly putting it upstairs, but as part of the lifthill or as an extension of the building leading up to it on

Looks functionally similar, still glad that Orlando's superior River Adventure remains untouched... for now.

It's only possibly superior now. The 2x T-Rex encounter and falling Jeep effect (when it worked, granted) made USH's version the standout imo.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Looks functionally similar, still glad that Orlando's superior River Adventure remains untouched... for now.

I mean I feel the Orlando version will be re-themed to JW sooner or later. Though the retheming is no doubt going to be much more elaborate due to JP being a dedicated area in Islands of Adventure.

USH's version did require the refurb due to aging animatronics, but let's also not forget Universal Parks also have that "out with the old, in with the new" tendency.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like garbage besides the aquarium scene .

They removed the destroyed boat and falling car for some scratched walls and bent bars.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Side by side really shows how disappointing this upgrade is,
its just so barren and empty until the end now.

tumblr_msnzizT7MD1qda125o5_r1_250.gif

Last edited:

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So the one in Orlando is still the same? If so, seems like a win win. The mosasaur part is really cool and you get to experience the classic version still Minus the falling Jeep, RIP).

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
One more reason to hate Jurassic World, I guess.

I mean JW very much being pretty divisive in of itself doesn't help this revision's matters.

We can say what we will about the Michael Bay Transformers series (they still suck, apart from the ok at best first film; still gotta see Bumblebee), but you gotta admit the ride was the best thing to come out of it! It's genuinely entertaining!

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Robb Alvey over at TPR said it best:

robbalvey said:
Sooo... The Jurassic World re-do replaced the old JP "big reveal" door opening scene with TV screens & water sprays? I mean, that was a pretty iconic, "grand" moment of the previous ride. Did we really need to replace some decent animatronics & physical sets with more screens?

I just don't understand. That "reveal" was probably one of the most iconic movie > attraction moments of any ride Universal had ever created. Why did they think that replacing it with an indoor section full of TV screens was a good idea?

Seriously, how did we go from this...
jp2_1.jpg

to this...
screen_shot_2019-07-05_at_12.png

That's just embarrassing.

I'm over here being a good little pious Catholic boy and praying incredibly hard that the JP ride in Islands doesn't receive the "World" treatment.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
They should film the ride and put it as bonus on the next blu-ray disc just like Universal did with Back to the Future. That way at least you have footage of it that can be preserved.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in addition to the fact the ride itself isnt changed, the changes they did make look awful. The gates opening and the jungle theme was amazing.
Oh yes I definitely agree with that.

Mosasaur is the only good addition and its a screen + ruins the grand reveal and opening

I just can't believe they replaced
dilo.jpg

(in Hollywood's)
Jurassic%2BPark%2BRiver%2BAdventure%2BUniversal%2BOrlando%2B%25284%2529.png

(in Orlando's version)

with an empty area with scratches on the wall.

Ride reopened with big changes
OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is ancient, but I feel like bumping it because the ride has received quite the upgrade since the COVID shutdown.

Changelog:

*The awkward looking dead pteranodons in Predator Cove have been replaced with a crashed Gyrosphere. Most importantly, the two fighting compsognathus animatronics from River Adventure have been restored!
*An encounter with an Indominus Rex animatronic has been added to the end of Predator Cove right before the lift up into Tyrannosaurus Kingdom.
*The biggest most obvious change is the all new massive and fluid Indominus Rex animatronic added at the ride's finale. Like holy shit guys, look at it, it's incredible. Basically blows all the other old JPRA-era AAs out of the water.

Overall some very nice upgrades to add a lot of life to the second half of the ride. Seriously that I-Rex at the end is actually making me want our River Adventure in Orlando to get the upgrade.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is ancient, but I feel like bumping it because the ride has received quite the upgrade since the COVID shutdown.

Changelog:

*The awkward looking dead pteranodons in Predator Cove have been replaced with a crashed Gyrosphere. Most importantly, the two fighting compsognathus animatronics from River Adventure have been restored!
*An encounter with an Indominus Rex animatronic has been added to the end of Predator Cove right before the lift up into Tyrannosaurus Kingdom.
*The biggest most obvious change is the all new massive and fluid Indominus Rex animatronic added at the ride's finale. Like holy shit guys, look at it, it's incredible. Basically blows all the other old JPRA-era AAs out of the water.

Overall some very nice upgrades to add a lot of life to the second half of the ride. Seriously that I-Rex at the end is actually making me want our River Adventure in Orlando to get the upgrade.

That looks great! I can't wait to get back to the parks this summer. Especially since it'll be california residents only :p

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Changelog:

Thanks I hate it. I'm not a fan tbh. I recently went to the Orlando one again about 2 years ago as I have been going for years. (Florida resident) and I love it just the way it is.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Gotta applaud the crew at Universal Studios for going through the trouble of improving the ride (even though I wouldn't ride it myself, because I don't do tall drops). It's still makes me wonder if Islands of Adventure will give their version of Jurassic Park River Adventure the facelift as well. It would be controversial sure, but the animatronics definitely need replacing.

And off topic but still in regards to USH, but that Secret Life of Pets attraction was also pretty solid to look at, now that finally was able to open.