• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm...not sure how you can judge anything about the ride from this. I mean if the colors being different ruin the ride for you then you already made up your mind about this a long time ago.

The theme is a huge part of the appeal of Disney/Universal rides. It's what elevates them above other parks, which otherwise have far superior attractions if you only care about thrills. So I don't think it's shocking that some would be turned off by changing the theme from one of the most iconic movies of all time to an inferior reboot.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Got a link?

I had no hope for this makeover from the start though. The Jurassic World movies are hot trash and it sucks they're influencing the direction of the land. Even the new raptor coaster coming to JP in IOA sounds super lame as far as being an immersive, thematically consistent experience goes
Tbf the current JP ride at IOA is severely outdated. Wish they did a full reimagining of that as it has potential, but in 2019, it's a complete joke. Maybe once the coaster is done.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Tbf the current JP ride at IOA is severely outdated. Wish they did a full reimagining of that as it has potential, but in 2019, it's a complete joke. Maybe once the coaster is done.

IOA's version has always been vastly inferior to the Hollywood version too; I'm surprised they didn't target the refresh there first.

In any case, I wish they would just update the rides without retheming them.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The current belief among theme park insiders is that Universal might be waiting for the reaction to the Jurassic World rebrand at the Hollywood park before they turn Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure into Jurassic World. If this is true, time will tell if the River Adventure gets a retheme...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm...not sure how you can judge anything about the ride from this. I mean if the colors being different ruin the ride for you then you already made up your mind about this a long time ago.
I mean the ride is hardly anything special, its all about theming.
Jurassic World's theming is extremely sterile.
the fact that they are going pretty hard on that aesthetic also means they probably won't have the much more visually interesting stuff like
800px-Jurassic_Park_car.jpg

Anymore as it doesn't match the land.

Would anybody care to take a picture with that bland silver Mercedes,
hell no.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IOA's version has always been vastly inferior to the Hollywood version too; I'm surprised they didn't target the refresh there first.

In any case, I wish they would just update the rides without retheming them.

Probably because Hollywood only requires a ride being updated, whereas there's quite a bit more at IoA that would need retheming (the visitors center, flyers etc.)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The current belief among theme park insiders is that Universal might be waiting for the reaction to the Jurassic World rebrand at the Hollywood park before they turn Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure into Jurassic World. If this is true, time will tell if the River Adventure gets a retheme...
It needs a full overhaul, not just a retheme. I'm not a fan of JW, so I don't need a retheme. But whether they make it JW or keep it JP, they need to really redesign the whole thing from almost top to bottom. It's pathetic as-is.

This is coming from someone who has no nostalgia for the ride as I first rode it last year.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The complaints of this being changed into Jurassic World being a bad thing makes no sense lol. The faults of the new movies wouldn't apply to updated animatronics, etc. It's just a straight upgrade no matter what way you look at it.

You say that now, but what if they add that shit that happened at the end of Fallen Kingdom?

Oct 25, 2017
The theme is a huge part of the appeal of Disney/Universal rides. It's what elevates them above other parks, which otherwise have far superior attractions if you only care about thrills. So I don't think it's shocking that some would be turned off by changing the theme from one of the most iconic movies of all time to an inferior reboot.

Yup, its the reason Tower of Terror is the greatest theme park attraction in the world,
its essentially an above average drop tower but the theming in combination with it just make it unmatched.

The Jurassic Park theming is iconic and timeless, World's hardly existed and wasn't even used well in its movie.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the ride is hardly anything special, its all about theming.
Jurassic World's theming is extremely sterile.
the fact that they are going pretty hard on that aesthetic also means they probably won't have the much more visually interesting stuff like
800px-Jurassic_Park_car.jpg

Anymore as it doesn't match the land.

Would anybody care to take a picture with that bland silver Mercedes,
hell no.

I still think you're overreacting and being to hard on it but whatever, we won't know if the the ride is good or not until it opens.

Also that jeep is UGLY.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well bumping this for the first TV spot of the ride.

Unsurprisingly, screens are coming. But seems to be for the mosasaurus portions.

Though I gotta be amused by the man running away from Rexy in the TV spot... while he was on fire!

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
My favorite ride at Universal. RIP.

Does a great job aping Splash Mountain in it's progression, slowly upping the tension until you get the dino and drop.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping because the ride is in soft opening and we have footage now.

What do you think? While I don't know if it's better than the original I think it looks good.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

What do you think? While I don't know if it's better than the original I think it looks good.

I'm surprised the operator didn't stop the ride before the drop because the guy had his camera on.

That's what happened to me back in Orlando.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah apart from the Mosasaurus and a lick of paint, it's the same ride.

I was expecting you'd be in those hamster balls. I hope they don't rebrand the Orlando ride if this is all they're doing.

Well, strictly speaking the Orlando Ride is the River Adventure, because the whole themed land is Jurassic Park.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Another patented Universal Screen. Cool. At this rate, none of their rides are worth going on unless it's Harry Potter themed. How disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
It really bugs me that they replaced the opening scene with screens. Like, okay, you can put screens on the ride, but the way the original ride started was basically perfect.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
So they added the water dinosaurs (whose placement doesnt make any physical sense, it just feels glued to the Stegosaurus section), the big JW bad dinosaur, and Blue? It's not that different but I hate the screens.

Looks like Orlando got the better new addition this year with the Harry Potter coaster.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense how the mosasaur could splash water on you, the tanks look contained not open to the air. Seems like a strange addition, feels tacked on to me. But the ride needed a new coat of paint so badly so I suppose it could have been worse

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some first impressions:

I kinda like the new first encounter with the aquarium but it doesn't instill as much amazement as the old intro into the park did. I don't really like that they just tossed in movie characters. It makes the ride feel less independent and more dated. I do like that they added more dinosaurs into the internal area right before the drop but I don't know if it was worth getting rid of everything that happens before you go up the lift hill.

I also noticed that they altered the plot so your boat doesn't get bumped into the predator containment area by that dinosaur coming out of the water, they straight up send you in there willingly. That's kinda weird.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

It's ok, but overall it's a downgrade from the original. Screens have replaced a lot of the practical effects and animatronics from the original. Not a huge fan of seeing Chris Pratt either, I liked it when the references to the movies were subtle rather than direct and in your face.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
As someone who's only been on the Orlando version and thinks it's fine but not iconic, this seems like a downgrade.

They've lost the initial gate/reveal, the story and flow of the ride is all messed up, the new concrete work towards the end (I think it's new, looks different than Orlando) seems sterile and uninteresting, the Jeep falling effect is gone (though apparently it was broken most of the time anyway), the lift ramp doesn't have as many animatronics as the old one, and you miss out on the T-Rex coming out of the smoke.

The rest of the interior stuff seems fine, though a better low light camera would be nice to see how obvious some of those screens are. The initial aquarium stuff is interesting but very screen heavy and as someone else pointed out, the water splash is nonsensical (Universal does love those water sprays).

Not a disaster, but a waste IMO.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Some first impressions:

I kinda like the new first encounter with the aquarium but it doesn't instill as much amazement as the old intro into the park did. I don't really like that they just tossed in movie characters. It makes the ride feel less independent and more dated. I do like that they added more dinosaurs into the internal area right before the drop but I don't know if it was worth getting rid of everything that happens before you go up the lift hill.

I also noticed that they altered the plot so your boat doesn't get bumped into the predator containment area by that dinosaur coming out of the water, they straight up send you in there willingly. That's kinda weird.
Just sending people into the predators area is pretty fitting for Jurassic World honestly, the whole doing stupidly dangerous stuff to get money is a prevelant theme in that film. Although the execution of the story is a little off.

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Another patented Universal Screen. Cool. At this rate, none of their rides are worth going on unless it's Harry Potter themed. How disappointing.

I mean...there's a grand total of one screen based segment on the whole ride, at the beginning.

The rest of it is all AAs. The Blue animatronic they have at the end is actually really impressive looking.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...there's a grand total of one screen based segment on the whole ride, at the beginning.

The rest of it is all AAs. The Blue animatronic they have at the end is actually really impressive looking.

I guess. I'm just not a fan of losing ambiance for screens. Like the original had the gate opening and the famous music. That's the kind of stuff I really like. Now it's just another screen tunnel. The rest of the updates are solid, but the screen is what kills me.

The skull island ride is a screen, fast and the furious is a screen, now adding one to Jurassic Park. I know the Orlando park additions started as parts of the tram tour, but the screens just don't do anything for me.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Other than the aquarium and some plot changes, the ride is the same. It looks cleaner which probably loses some of the charm.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Universal could find a way to cram in some screens at the beginning of the ride. Truly their trademark.

That looked... ok. The ride has been in a bad state for most of this millennium, so it needed a lot of work. This looks like a cleanup and mild rebranding. Hopefully some of the new animatronics are built to last unlike the old ones.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice actually.

Glad Universal could find a way to cram in some screens at the beginning of the ride. Truly their trademark.
No no no. their trademark is always finding a way to squirt the guests with water. lol

The skull island ride is a screen, fast and the furious is a screen, now adding one to Jurassic Park. I know the Orlando park additions started as parts of the tram tour, but the screens just don't do anything for me.
Fast & Furious looks lame, but skull island is actually awesome at Orlando. Has a good atmosphere to it, esp with the outdoor scene, que & giant kong AA at end.

To be fair, they did just finish Hagrid and that is a roller coaster with no screens and next door they are building an intense roller coaster apparently. So at least not all screens.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Indominus and Blue animatronics looked great for Universal animatronics not in HP, but.... Not fond of replacing the Ultrasaurus with screens. At all. Was it truly not salvageable in some way?

I can only hope Orlando's JP doesn't get rethemed, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I like what they've done with the final internal area, they've given that spot a really solid upgrade. Lots of new animatronics and much more decoration. I think it's worth it for that stuff.

I'm apathetic to screen shit so the aquarium is fine I guess as an intro. Was worried about more screen shit but it looks like that's about it.
Not a fan of plastering Chris Pratt's face all over screens near the end. Like another user mentioned, that makes the ride less timeless and puts a hard date on it.
The middle section seems pretty similar to the original version however they made it way cleaner and took out all the realistic set dressing and wreckage. That's a downgrade for sure. At least put some damn foliage around or something. All that clean flat concrete around the IndoRex's cage sucks.

All in all...I'll allow it. It's not a total win but I think the upgrades outweigh the downgrades and the old ride as it was needed some TLC for sure, half the shit didn't work anymore.

On a kind of related note to new features of this ride, I was recently walking around the IndoRex's actual cage set. I think World is trash but it's still fun to see that environment in person.

GR4ZGpl.jpg

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Eh doesn't actually look too bad. Thankfully the screens only happen in the beginning of the ride, but I too question it's placement as well. As in how are you in aquarium and suddenly it's just a tunnel of you just turn your head back?

Pretty much most of the dilophosaurus animatronics before the second lift hill seem to be gone as well. They didn't even think of replacing the falling car with those gyrospheres?

And not to mention it doesn't seem like the indominous and Rexy don't look like they are battling it out before the drop.

I guess suffice it to say, it looks to be a mixed bag. But the sad part is that parts of the ride were aging badly.

Nov 11, 2017
I honestly think it looks terrible. There are aspects of it that are better- the predator zone is good fun, especially the Dilophosaurus, and the initial aquarium section looks [technically] great. But this does not tell a story and it doesn't awe you.

The new generic main theme plays as you enter into... a big closed room with nothing visible yet and then a shark? Compare that to the doors opening revealing a Brontosaurus rising up out of the plants with the original JP theme playing. This reminds me of Jurassic World wasting the JP main theme playing on them arriving at the hotel and entering their hotel room. Compare that to the original Jurassic Park of seeing the first dinosaur. They just don't seem to understand what connects with people when it comes to Jurassic Park and dinosaurs.

If they were going to replace the Dilophosaurus, escaped jeep crashing down with nothing but 'zone' signs, they should have put the interior screen section there instead and kept the opening as a big open reveal of Jurassic World.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
If they were going to replace the Dilophosaurus, escaped jeep crashing down with nothing but 'zone' signs, they should have put the interior screen section there instead and kept the opening as a big open reveal of Jurassic World.

I'm avoiding watching the video, but yeah, wouldn't the aquarium make way more sense to have as part of the GIANT show building? (or the lead-up to it?) I'm shocked that isn't where they put it.