• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which episode was more emotionally impactful to you

• Jurassic Bark

Votes: 104 44.1%
  • Luck of the Fryish

Votes: 143 60.6%
  • Who gets sad at a cartoon

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
In a vacuum, no retcons or future episodes taken into consideration that may lessen the emotional impact, this is comparing the episodes as they first aired.

In this corner, The Luck of the Fryish:

The story of Philip Fry, the Original Martian. But not the Fry we know and tolerate. The story revolves around Fry's relationship with his older brother Yancy, antagonistic and very competitive. Particularly over the ownership of a lucky 7-leaf clover. The scenes from the past show how hard the brothers fought each other over anything and everything, and the resentment and rivalry.

In the future, Fry learns that his brother is buried in a cemetery for heroes, and his tombstone declares that he is 'The Original Martian' -- the first human on Mars, which was Fry's childhood dream. Not only that, but apparently his jerk brother changed his own name to Philip. Resentful, Fry goes and grave-robs his brother, but discovers that the grave is actually that of his nephew (Yancy's son). Ultimately and despite all their rivalries, Yancy loved his brother and when he went missing, he named his first born son in Philip's honor, and gave him the lucky clover. It was his nephew that was the Original Martian.

dCotB0S.png

In this corner, Jurassic Bark:

The story of Seymour, the dog who was Fry's loyal & beloved companion in the past. In the future, Fry finds the fossilized remains of Seymour. In flashbacks it's shown that Seymour followed Fry around everywhere with devotion and joy. When Fry disappears into the future, the loyal hound continues doing their routine alone. Others occasionally may look in on him (slipping him a slice of pizza here and there), but Seymour is lost and heartbroken, and ultimately the episode ends with him laying down to his final rest, in front of the pizza shop Fry worked at, his eyes slowly close while his best friend never returns for him.

lnf7eW7.png

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Bark made me cry the first time I saw it, which was shortly after my dog had been put down, who happened to look very much like Seymour. I miss you, Kennedy.

He waited for him, just like he was told to... :(

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
For years, Luck of the Fryish would fuck me up every time I watched it.

Last edited:

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Jurassic Bark has the stronger single moment, but I give it to Luck of the Fryrish if considering the entire episode.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think dead animal tropes tend to be really emotionally manipulative and shallow, and I say this as someone who's had cats and dogs their whole life. Jurassic Bark is great but there's a lot more emotional nuance in Luck Of The Fryish.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"Jurassic Bark" is manipulative trash.

"The Luck of the Fryish", while using the same tools as "Jurassic Bark" to pull at the ol' heartstrings, is actually character focused and thus deserving of at least some of its praise.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Much of the fryish was deeper to me. Really hit. Jurassic barn definitely provided the fiel feels but it wasn't the same.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Brother who always fights you but deep down would miss you so much if you were gone that he'd name his son after you?

I have teary eyes just thinking about it.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have to turn off Jurassic Bark before the final montage. I just can't.
Basically. First time I saw it must have been relatively close to putting our family dog down bc I remember losing it, absolutely bawling which even in extremely emotional moments in any other show nothing comes close. I don't think I've watched it again.
Luck of the fryrish, while a good/great episode never had any impact or anything, never thought it was a special episode until seeing it in posts/lists etc...I get why it has an impact just not on me.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Luck of the Fryish. His family all dead, never knowing what happened to him. Fry being in the future with no close family. Game of Tones also really screwed me, I watched it at the time my mom was sick. Broke me down.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Jurassic is sad as fuck but Luck of the Fryish pretty much flawless and more memorable.
Meanwhile just broke me man.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Game of Tones also really screwed me, I watched it at the time my mom was sick. Broke me down.
This is actually a good sleeper pick especially considering it was the 4th-to-last episode. Other ones I'd put up there are The Late Philip J. Fry, Leela's Homeworld, and The Sting (even though that one seems to be more controversial). I know I'm forgetting some though

Oct 25, 2017
Fryish, because the entire episode is amazing.
Besides the emotional excellence it even had my biggest laugh of the series

The jaywalk joke and punchline just came out of nowhere and destroyed me the first time I watched it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Don't have a brother but I have a dog so voted Jurassic Bark and the song* too sheesh. Also holy shit at the " manipulative" comments... Christ the utter cynicism in some of you.

* s/o The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Luck of the Fryish is the better overall episode.

Jurassic Park had the better gut punch ending.

I laugh more at the Luck of the Fryish ending because of that fucking song.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Jurassic Bark. I won't even watch it on iTunes.

Luck of the Fryrish didn't have much impact on me at all.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
why would such a successful man have a tribute to the uncle he never met on his headstone

i don't buy it at all

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Bark was more emotional impactful for me (I love my brother but I'm the older one and we never really fight so I didn't connect as much with the other episode) but Luck of the Fryish was the better episode.

Damn I miss Futurama, even if the new seasons weren't as good as the older ones, they were still good.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Jurassic Bark is sad, but the series basically invalidates it later on with the revival, so it's less sad to me when I think of it.

Luck of the Fryish? That still hits.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Luck of the Fryish. His family all dead, never knowing what happened to him. Fry being in the future with no close family. Game of Tones also really screwed me, I watched it at the time my mom was sick. Broke me down.
is that the one he visits his mom in a dream cause boy was that episode a tearjerker.

Kohinoor

Aug 21, 2019
Personally, I think Luck of the Fryish has a more existential impact. It leaves you thinking about the importance of family and legacy, but also about the frailty of an individual in the course of history.

Jurassic Bark was sad, and it had an impact on me even as someone who's never owned a pet, but I just don't get the same feeling I see here.

Oct 27, 2017
Luck of the Fryrish was always the far superior sad episode to me. Maybe it's because I never had a dog, which seems to be what makes the difference

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with dogs, have dogs now, and will probably always have dogs.

I don't have any siblings. My dogs were basically my siblings.

So Jurassic Bark.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
As someone with brothers, Luck of the Fryish.

Honourable mention goes to the "I'm Lars!" scene from Bender's Big Score.