• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A transphobic court decision was made today where a judge ruled that a teacher in Virginia who was suspended for refusing to address transgender students with their preferred names and pronouns should return to work immediately:

Judge: Loudoun schools must reinstate teacher against transgender pronouns - The Washington Post

June 8, 2021

A Virginia judge said Tuesday that a Loudoun County teacher suspended for refusing to address transgender students with their preferred names and pronouns should return to work immediately.

In a seven-page ruling, 20th Circuit Judge James E. Plowman Jr. sharply rebuked the Loudoun County Public Schools system for its treatment of the teacher, Tanner Cross. Plowman called Loudoun's attempts to discipline Cross "an unconstitutional action … which has silenced others from speaking publicly on the issue."

Per Virginia law, Loudoun County Public Schools can petition for a review of the judge's ruling within 15 days of its issuance.

School officials had barred Cross from performing his job as a physical education instructor at Leesburg Elementary School — and from setting foot on campus — after he declared at a late-May school board meeting that he would never "affirm that a biological boy can be a girl, and vice versa." Cross said his Christian faith and determination to always tell the truth meant he could not use a transgender child's selected name and pronoun if it did not agree with their biological sex as determined at birth.

Cross was speaking against a draft proposal being circulated by Loudoun officials that would require teachers to use transgender students' preferred pronouns and names. In the speech, he also referenced a recent "60 Minutes" segment on transgender health care that included an interview with a child who began transitioning but came to regret the process.

Officials with the Northern Virginia school system placed Cross on paid administrative leave starting May 27, and forbade him from setting foot on Loudoun school grounds and from speaking at school board meetings.

On June 1, Cross sued the school system's top administrators, alleging their actions violated his rights to free speech and the free exercise of religion. He requested a preliminary injunction forcing his reinstatement and ending his banishment from school grounds and school board meetings.

Cross "does not believe that every student or teacher in [Loudoun County] should have to accept his view," the suit states. "But he also believes that teachers should not be compelled to say things that they do not believe to be true."

In his Tuesday ruling, Judge Plowman ordered that Loudoun County Public Schools "immediately reinstate" Cross to his position as a physical education teacher and rescind its ban barring him from school grounds while Cross's lawsuit goes forward. Plowman also critiqued several aspects of the school system's legal case, disputing in particular the idea that Cross's speech had caused "disruption to school operations," and wrote that the school's decision to put him on administrative leave seemed "an unnecessary and vindictive act given the end of the school year was so close."

In a statement, Michael Farris, president and chief executive of the Alliance Defending Freedom — the conservative legal group representing Cross — hailed the decision as a victory for free speech. The alliance has a history of taking on lawsuits that call into question the rights of transgender people.

"Educators are just like everybody else — they have ideas and opinions that they should be free to express," Farris said. "Advocating for solutions they believe in should not cost them their jobs."

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
And the slow slide continues...

"But he also believes that teachers should not be compelled to say things that they do not believe to be true" what a quote. So climate change? Election was stolen? Slavery? All optional if the teacher doesn't believe in it.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
So everyone at the school is just supposed to accept this asshole going on homophobic rants to a bunch of elementary school kids? How does that not disrupt school affairs?

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned: (1 Week) Advocating Doxxing
Would be a shame if the teacher's and judge's addresses were made public.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be legitimate to fire him if he had refused to follow the policy, but banning him from the school grounds and from speaking at (public) board meetings for objecting to a draft proposal is blatantly unconstitutional (as the public school is an arm of the state)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
March 11, 2019

During the Meeting of the LoudounGOP on February 25, the Loudoun County Republican Committee accepted the resignation of Jim Plowman, Loudoun County's Commonwealth's Attorney, after 18 years as one of our most distinguished members. Jim has been not only an outstanding public servant, but also a loyal, hard-working Republican and exemplar of integrity. The resignation is required in preparation for his appointment as Circuit Court Judge representing Virginia's 20th Judicial Circuit. Thank you, Jim. Virginia is blessed that your public service will continue.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this guy were my colleague... I don't even know. How can you be a teacher and not even respect your students' identities? Basically the only good thing about teaching at this point are the times when you get to make real connections with students and help them along in life. The pay sucks, the lack of being treated as a professional sucks, the red tape sucks, the standardized tests suck, but the moments where you can connect with a student and get through to them in some way, those are beautiful.

Why the fuck is this guy a teacher?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of "legally" accept if he was speaking on a proposed law or regulation (generally people should be fired when debating proposed laws). But if its been effect now can't they then fire him for violating it? (obviously they'll raise content neutrality claims, yada yada yada)

this is nonsense dicta from the judge which raises question biases

Plowman also critiqued several aspects of the school system's legal case, disputing in particular the idea that Cross's speech had caused "disruption to school operations," and wrote that the school's decision to put him on administrative leave seemed "an unnecessary and vindictive act given the end of the school year was so close."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So everyone at the school is just supposed to accept this asshole going on homophobic rants to a bunch of elementary school kids? How does that not disrupt school affairs?

? Is there more to this story? because the article says he objected to a proposal at a board meeting intended for that purpose, not that he said anything to any elementary school kids

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus what a bunch of bullshit.

Cross said his Christian faith and determination to always tell the truth meant he could not use a transgender child's selected name and pronoun if it did not agree with their biological sex as determined at birth.

So he's okay with using an alternative name as long as he personally decides the name is okay for the gender of the kid (which he's also give himself the power of deciding)

"Educators are just like everybody else — they have ideas and opinions that they should be free to express," Farris said. "Advocating for solutions they believe in should not cost them their jobs."

No, that's not what being an educator is at all you prick. I bet you'd have a problem if other educators decided to make the opinion that Cross should be harmed!

Cross "does not believe that every student or teacher in [Loudoun County] should have to accept his view," the suit states. "But he also believes that teachers should not be compelled to say things that they do not believe to be true."

Math teachers to begin teaching that 2+2 does in fact equal 5!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I must have missed the section in the Bible on transgender pronouns in Catholic school. These aren't their religious beliefs, these are bigoted cultural beliefs based on current day conservative rhetoric that specifically targets children on the basis of sex.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what would happen if the students were to misgender the teacher

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the court is basing their decision on his comments being made at a board meeting about the proposal and not directed in the classroom towards a particular student in the classroom.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. It ain't nearly as hurtful to misgender a cis person. It'd be like calling a white guy the n-word to prove an ill considered point.
I get it's totally not on the same level, but there are plenty of insecure guys that lose their shit if you refer to them as a woman.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think this person is a douche but I'm not sure he can be banned from entering the campus because of something he said at a PTA meeting or town hall. This actually is a "free speech" thing since it's a public school. I think he should just go get a job somewhere else, like at a farm in Arizona or perhaps hell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
My faith tells me that isn't a person, so I will start referring that teacher as "it". It is a bigoted asshole.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this person is a douche but I'm not sure he can be banned from entering the campus because of something he said at a PTA meeting or town hall. The actually is a "free speech" thing since it's a public school. I think he should just go get a job somewhere else, like at a farm in Arizona or perhaps hell.

I don't understand. You don't think they'd have had the power to fire him if he said he was a pedophile at a PTA meeting or said that going forward he'd be calling all black kids the n-word?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. You don't think they'd have had the power to fire him if he said he was a pedophile at a PTA meeting or said that going forward he'd be calling all black kids the n-word?
For speech? If the speech isn't explicitly prohibited or unprotected (and I think you could make a case these are fighting words), I think it would be difficult to make a constitutional argument to dismiss him.

Like, no, I don't think he would be fired for saying he's a pedophile if he's not actually a pedophile. Being a pedophile is another issue in and of itself, of course.

edit: To be clear, they're not even saying they barred him because of what he said but because of the distraction it caused.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
"Teachers should not be compelled to say things they don't believe to be true"... like the kid's name? I don't see how the First Amendment extends to making this guy the arbiter of his students' genders.

Fuck this guy and fuck this judge.

I think this person is a douche but I'm not sure he can be banned from entering the campus because of something he said at a PTA meeting or town hall. The actually is a "free speech" thing since it's a public school. I think he should just go get a job somewhere else, like at a farm in Arizona or perhaps hell.

But surely he can be fired the first time he actually purposely misgenders a student in class. I almost missed the fact that this was all based on his comments in opposition to policy at school meeting, and not an actual interaction with a student.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, DP.

"Teachers should not be compelled to say things they don't believe to be true"... like the kid's name? I don't see how the First Amendment extends to making this guy the arbiter of his students' genders.

Fuck this guy and fuck this judge.

But surely he can be fired the first time he actually purposely misgenders a student in class. I almost missed the fact that this was all based on his comments in opposition to policy at school meeting, and not an actual interaction with a student.

Yeah, if it's against their rules I think so.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Reading the article elsewhere, it does seem like this was unconstitutional. He didn't actually misgender a student; he said it during a PTA meeting, which is a public forum where you can essentially say anything you want, IIRC. (as long as you're not inciting a riot or trying to start a fight, of course)

wtop.com

Loudoun schools ordered to reinstate teacher after suspension - WTOP News

A judge has ruled Loudoun County Public Schools must reinstate a physical education teacher who was suspended for saying he would not refer to transgender students by their preferred pronouns.

Of course, if he follow through with his threat, and the school has a policy against it, they can just fire him.

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
If this guy were my colleague... I don't even know. How can you be a teacher and not even respect your students' identities? Basically the only good thing about teaching at this point are the times when you get to make real connections with students and help them along in life. The pay sucks, the lack of being treated as a professional sucks, the red tape sucks, the standardized tests suck, but the moments where you can connect with a student and get through to them in some way, those are beautiful.

Why the fuck is this guy a teacher?

for some, being psychologically abusive to kids is its own reward

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I would just straight up blank the teacher. He can't give you a detention if he don't know your name

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. His "Christian faith" which translates to "I'm an asshole who doesn't really follow the teachings of Jesus."

What does that solve?

I've always thought protests should be targeted at the parties involved, not just outside the school or courthouse or whatever. Make those responsible have to see it when they're eating dinner.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
thumbtack_on_chair_8253.png