• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Target has stated on Twitter that they are restarting sales of Pokemon cards with "a limit of 2 items per guest per day":

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
From what I hear card prices are on the decline. Let's hope the mania starts to fade and people can actually get their hands on packs without being mobbed.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm completely in the dark here. Can someone please explain to me what the FUCK happened to make Target stop selling them in the first place?

Where there like stampedes to get them or something???

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I'm completely in the dark here. Can someone please explain to me what the FUCK happened to make Target stop selling them in the first place?

Pretty much. Fights and other violent skirmishes broke out over people trying to get cards.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think the incident that triggered this happened at my Target. There was a four vs one altercation in the parking lot over Pokémon cards. I was leaving another store when they all went into lockdown.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the incident that triggered this happened at my Target. There was a four vs one altercation in the parking lot over Pokémon cards. I was leaving another store when they all went into lockdown.

I remember the last time I saw people get into a fistfight over Pokemon cards.

It was 3rd grade, FFS...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I will note it does say "select". Target's actually been selling Pokémon cards as normal in-store purchases for at least a week, it's just been a small selection of low-demand SKUs (like Battle Academy starter kit) with no promotion. It could just be that, but now "official".

I hope so anyway. This shit ain't worth it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why the sudden popularity?

I had a childhood friend I haven't talked to in years reach out to ask if I had any of my pokemon cards left

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I kinda hate these "two per customer" things because it offloads the judgement and enforcement onto the store staff.

Scalpers are never above bringing their entire family in, trying to queue up several times in the hopes that they get a different staff member, or just wheedling the person to "just sell me six this time, my kids wanted to come get some, but they had to finish their homework."

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
If I worked there I'd 'forget' to put the cards out every day.

They have vendors that put them out, not the store. Another problem was with vendors getting harassed and threatened. It's ridiculous. I haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in forever, but I'm interested in the Hidden Fates ETB. I don't even know where the cards are at my store. I haven't seen them in the front for a long time now. I've seen people say electronics and others say toys.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hate these "two per customer" things because it offloads the judgement and enforcement onto the store staff.

Scalpers are never above bringing their entire family in, trying to queue up several times in the hopes that they get a different staff member, or just wheedling the person to "just sell me six this time, my kids wanted to come get some, but they had to finish their homework."

As someone who used to work in a grocery store I absolutely agree. What really kills me is when you stand your ground, customer complains demands a manager and the manager tells you to just sell them, making you look like the person in the wrong.

Retail sucks lol

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, what is this about? Why is there such demand? Does this mean I can go and sell my childhood collection for billions? I do have a few foils and stuff.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon fans basically became hypebeasts.
More like hypebeasts invaded once they realized they could make some money off it

It's also worth noting the people in that twitter video were mostly storming over sports cards, not Pokemon. The Pokemon stuff is the last stuff to be grabbed in the video, right before it stops you can still see a bunch of Pokemon products on the shelves

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
There has to be money to be made for it to be this crazy with all these adults. However, I do remember how brutal it was when I was into it as a kid there were legit people buying all of the boxes in my small town and reselling packs at like a 300 percent markup.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
There has to be money to be made for it to be this crazy with all these adults. However, I do remember how brutal it was when I was into it as a kid there were legit people buying all of the boxes in my small town and reselling packs at like a 300 percent markup.

During the big hype last year, you would see elite trainer boxs that were usually $50 being resold for $200+

sejny

Oct 30, 2017
The parent company must be leaving a lot of money on the table if the resale market for current sets is that crazy.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
The parent company must be leaving a lot of money on the table if the resale market for current sets is that crazy.
It's not, the hype is starting to die down. Places have been selling Battle Styles products at a discount, Target flooded the market with like 26,000 Shining Fates ETBs like two weeks ago and they're becoming easier to find at other places.

It might pick back up once the 25th anniversary set releases though.