• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do we call the hole?

• Jumphole

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Leaphole

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Fasthole

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Other hole (say what hole)

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Warp tunnel

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Quantum vortex

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Hyperspace

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
We've seen some solid gameplay from the first wave of next gen titles and one thing is clear: we need to figure out what to call the hole that everyone is leaping through to quickly get from one place to another.

Well, say hello to the Jumphole.

It could be a small hole.
YBkrMpB.gif

A multiverse of holes
giphy.gif

Or a glowy rectangular hole
giphy.gif

What do all these holes have in common? Jumping. I rest my case.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That Spider-Man loading moment is blowing my mind. That's like what, 0.3 seconds?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The Spider-Man one could be really clever because when you think about it the engine could start dumping assets and loading in new ones as soon as Miles fires his webs onto the vent rather than as he travels through it as it's a fixed camera perspective from that point until he emerges outside.

Also, not going with Jump Hole as out of those examples Spider-Man is the only one involving jumps!

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
I hope for the PS4 version of MM they just stretch the jump hole so it's a mile long for the load

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
The Spider-Man one's really clever because when you think about it the engine can start dumping assets and loading in new ones as soon as Miles fires his webs onto the vent rather than as he travels through it as it's a fixed camera perspective from that point until he emerges outside.
Yeah theoretically but we have no idea that's what's happening here.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Before we get ahead of ourselves on the Miles Morales transition, we should probably get more information. For all we know that is a one-off situation where they pre-load the exterior chunk. For instance, you might see this exact same transition on the PS4 with the old clunker drive, if it's a special case. Not to say that the PS5 IO complex isn't incredible (by all accounts it's amazing), but it could be a very custom setup for a one time transition.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Before we get ahead of ourselves on the Miles Morales transition, we should probably get more information. For all we know that is a one-off situation where they pre-load the exterior chunk. For instance, you might see this exact same transition on the PS4 with the old clunker drive, if it's a special case. Not to say that the PS5 IO complex isn't incredible (by all accounts it's amazing), but it could be a very custom setup for a one time transition.
I think jstevenson commented on it in one of the Game Informer threads and it is indeed a loading screen.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
In all honesty if the PS5 can't do this pretty much all the time (and the same in the remaster of SM) I'll be more than a little disappointed. This speed of transition is what we've been sold and Insomniac have said "next to no load times".

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Demon-souls seems to do another solution, with the fog effect. Interesting to see if one will be come standard over the other.
Definitely be an option, but It's probably too obvious for some settings and too Souls-y, though probably be used more like just blinding brightness like God of War uses in places too. I guess a slightly slow door opening could probably be used even, given how fast the Spidey load already is, without it being super obvious like they are currently.