• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Mega Man 8's a common citation of infamously terribad voice acting in gaming, but having finally finished it for the first time on Switch, I'm surprised I hadn't been made aware of the divisiveness surrounding the Jump-Slide segments. I say "divisive" because between a quick Google search and the above video, there's fans who can practically beat this with their eyes closed and others, like me, who endlessly fall into the molten depths of Dr. Wily Hell; good god, I was stuck on the Wily Castle iteration for days. Even after I got acquainted with the sign telegraphing (the lights blink whenever you have to jump) or the Astro Crush trick (your board stalls in the air whenever you summon meteors), I could never situate my board's position to the speedy auto-scroll, let alone memorize the lay of the land to cheese Astro Crush or gauge my jumping distance (Okay, so do I use it..here? Ugh, no, I didn't jump in time!)

I hear Mega Man 9 gets pretty brutal, but I imagine whatever's ready to hand my ass to me will actually be, uh, fun. Right? In the event you have pitch-perfect reaction, what else deserves the crown of Hardest Mega Man Level?

(Anyway, MM8 was thoroughly average otherwise, IMO -- it looked nice, but I found the gimmicks on top of frequent visual overload to be overkill, and I never found myself humming along to the music. At least I got the below video out of it -- poor me forgot Rush Coil wasn't in this one!)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I don't really find it hard at all. Even as a child I don't recall having a bad time there.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Jump jump slide slide that's how we ride tonight...

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy enough once you figure out that you just have to jump or slide the second time the game says it.

As far as most difficult Mega Man level, it's got to be Rainy Turtloid's stage with the darkness nightmare effect active in Mega Man X6. Whatever you do never beat Infinity Majinion before taking on Rainy Turtloid.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My favorite classic Mega Man game.

www.resetera.com

I still think Mega Man 8 had the best style out of any Mega Man game

It's been nothing but regression since then. Mega Man 8 had: -Big, colorful sprites -Fantastic animations -Voice acting (good in Japan, so bad it's good in the west) -A really chill soundtrack -Great character portraits -An extra focus on story without going overboard or focusing on it...

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just here to say your embedded tweet is absolute "perfectly cut screams" material

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I hear Mega Man 9 gets pretty brutal, but I imagine whatever's ready to hand my ass to me will actually be, uh, fun. Right? In the event you have pitch-perfect reaction, what else deserves the crown of Hardest Mega Man Level?

entirety MM9 was essentially the "apology" for jump jump slide slide

what you want about "hard" in mega man without the frustration, minus the straight up bullshit parts of MM1 and 2

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Last time I tried to play it on psp I couldn't get through it despite doing it before years ago, I don't know if I can ever go back to 8 after that