• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't see a thread for this. Delete me if wrong, anyway, its out on PSN and xbox and here are the times its available.

xbox store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/jump-force-open-beta/bwrdl05crcqz?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
psn: https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0700-CUSA13396_00-JUMPFORCECBTE000

Session #1: January 18th - from 13:00 to 16:00 (CET)
Session #2: January 19th - from 06:00 to 09:00 (CET)
Session #3: January 19th - from 17:00 to 20:00 (CET)
Session #4: January 20th - from 21:00 to 00:00 (CET)

I was looking at another thread and it reminded me this was out to download, and sorry I am a day early its available tomorrow.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that they just omitted the PC version from this. It could also help to know how the netcode works in your region before buying it.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
bug report: Rendering issues display cartoon characters with freakish, overrealistic hands.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Happened to be browsing PSN and saw this, glad it is early tomorrow

OP
OP
Troast

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just another PSA about this beta, seems a lot of people are not aware of it. Or maybe this game has no hype? I also don't mind the art style and I look forward to trying it out.

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the look of this during E3 and I really hope the game is great because it'll be the first fighter I'm buying as a non fighting game fan.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Wonder if I'll need PS+? I'm not currently subbed and don't plan on it.

OP
OP
Troast

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"First off, we're glad to report that neither PlayStation Plus nor Xbox Live Gold will be required for the open beta, meaning that the experience will be completely free for all fans who have been waiting for ages to try out this game that can easily be described as one of the biggest anime crossover titles of all time."

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet! You can play it offline, walk around the area and have fights against cpu. No need to wait for tomorrow for that.

Oct 26, 2017
The stages like NY, Hong Kong and Mexico look great but are we not getting actual stages from the featured characters's anime/manga? So for Naruto we'd hopefully see Konoha?

I am loving the fighting system, I'm not familiar with these games but it plays great. The framerate needs work though.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The stages like NY, Hong Kong and Mexico look great but are we not getting actual stages from the featured characters's anime/manga? So for Naruto we'd hopefully see Konoha?

I am loving the fighting system, I'm not familiar with these games but it plays great. The framerate needs work though.

The whole setting is that anime stuff is merging with our realm. So what happens is that you see anime stuff looking like it just crashed in our realm.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I can't do too much experimenting because the default AI is stupid as hell, but there is potential for fun here.

I wish I knew of a consistent way to raise my Awakening meter. I wanna finish Goku in style. 🤔

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Missed out on the last beta due to having to cover for my friend at work last minute, so hoping to partake in this one. Still freakin' wish there was an offline training mode, I want to demo a game in a single player environment, not be thrown in a multiplayer match with little to no idea how to play the game.

This is mainly for me, but here's the times converted to Eastern:

Session 1

Friday, January 18 at 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. EST

Session 2

Saturday, January 19 at 12:00 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. EST

Session 3

Saturday, January 19 at 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. EST

Session 4

Sunday, January 20 at 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. EST

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any idea how the awaken gauge works exactly? Just now I pressed the right analog stick and it worked. But I'm not sure what I did and is there a indicator that shows you when you can use it? I mean, where even is that gauge?

I assume the blue circle is that gauge and I still don't know how it works. I see the circle filling and I see a flash, I tried pressing right analog, but nothing.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I played this at E3 and absolutely hated it, hopefully it is nice and improved now. Still interested in its development! Some cool looking things going on, but playing it is not fun.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Sweet! You can play it offline, walk around the area and have fights against cpu. No need to wait for tomorrow for that.

And I'm really happy with that, because when online match will work, I won't ne able to play except on sunday.

Didn't follow that game so what a nice surprise to see some of the characters here ! Match are fun, but I'm not sure about the gameplay, it could feel old quickly, but maybe there's some depth I can't ses right now. That said, I'm 100% confident my ass would be kicked by anyone online, I suck at fighting games.

Visually speaking it's kinda weird, specially with Dragon Ball's characters, but I can get it's a way to get think work together.

The hub is basically Xenoverse's one.

I can see myself buy this thing, maybe sooner than I think.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Anyone have any idea how the awaken gauge works exactly? Just now I pressed the right analog stick and it worked. But I'm not sure what I did and is there a indicator that shows you when you can use it? I mean, where even is that gauge?

I assume the blue circle is that gauge and I still don't know how it works. I see the circle filling and I see a flash, I tried pressing right analog, but nothing.

Nope didn't understand. The Blue circle is the stamina for me, you empty it by abusing of Lb. For me, since we have to use Rt + A to awake, it's the ki gauge that count, but there's something else I don't get. I also tried right analog but nothing happened.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope didn't understand. The Blue circle is the stamina for me, you empty it by abusing of Lb. For me, since we have to use Rt + A to awake, it's the ki gauge that count, but there's something else I don't get. I also tried right analog but nothing happened.

Buddy of mine found out how it works.

Look at the picture of your character on the top left. When you get hit and when you attack it will fill this picture with a yellow line. Seems like it fills faster when you get hit. When it's at half you can trigger it or wait to let it fill completely and then trigger it. :)

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Buddy of mine found out how it works.

Look at the picture of your character on the top left. When you get hit and when you attack it will fill this picture with a yellow line. Seems like it fills faster when you get hit. When it's at half you can trigger it or wait to let it fill completely and then trigger it. :)

You mean the ki or stamina (don't know the english Word for it) with the number ? Because that gauge can be filled by pushing Rt

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
How do you play offline?
I choose the avatar and then it starts communicating and it says it can't connect and if I want to play offline and then I choose yes :)
I hear it's easier for Xbox users. On PS4 I had to follow these steps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQWGTQqaxs it won't connect to the internet but the game then let's me choose offline mode.

How do I fight with the CPUs? Edit: You go to the online batter NPCs.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fought a few CPU matches. The game is pretty fun! Is the beta only 30 fps on X? It didn't feel very smooth, which would make me consider the PC version if they won't have it at 60 for release.

Also, playing Blackbeard is hilarious. He's so big that I couldn't see the opponent through his body, so I just kinda had to wing it and attack in a direction.

Oct 26, 2017
Man I so much want to see a open world RPG with a battle system like this. Sure we're getting that open field One Piece game but it won't have combat as great and fun as this by the looks of it. Who knows what that Dragon Ball RPG will be like, but that remains to be seen.

I remember Naruto : Rise of a Ninja and how I loved to just roam around Konoha. I'd love a actual big open world Naruto game with combat like this. But I guess that's never gonna happen.

Oct 26, 2017
Fought a few CPU matches. The game is pretty fun! Is the beta only 30 fps on X? It didn't feel very smooth, which would make me consider the PC version if they won't have it at 60 for release.

Also, playing Blackbeard is hilarious. He's so big that I couldn't see the opponent through his body, so I just kinda had to wing it and attack in a direction.

Oh man I wish it was 60fps on X. It does look very crisp, so could be native 4K? And yeah, the framerate isn't without it's issues. Definitely doesn't stick to 30fps.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What was top thing you disliked about it?
Was only able to play it briefly, but from my experience the controls seemed pretty experimental in a way? And there was so much flashiness for such little input, it was like I was engaging in a 10 second cutscene with every button pressed. It was very hard to tell what was going on, but maybe with time it becomes deeper? I don't remember too much else, but I just remember being blown away how much I did not enjoy it. Curious to hear others opinions.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I wish it was 60fps on X. It does look very crisp, so could be native 4K? And yeah, the framerate isn't without it's issues. Definitely doesn't stick to 30fps.

Yeah it looks really good IQ-wise. Some of the characters fit the art style really well. I was impressed with how great Hisoka and Blackbeard looked. Some like Rukia look a little off (mostly just her face), but the game is incredibly sharp, and all the abilities look awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if it's native 4k. The framerate could use some work, but i'm definitely interested in picking this up at release.

Was only able to play it briefly, but from my experience the controls seemed pretty experimental in a way? And there was so much flashiness for such little input, it was like I was engaging in a 10 second cutscene with every button pressed. It was very hard to tell what was going on, but maybe with time it becomes deeper? I don't remember too much else, but I just remember being blown away how much I did not enjoy it. Curious to hear others opinions.

I haven't played it a ton yet, but I know what you mean, it has an auto-combo feel going on but with some of the characters having slow/long animations, it can feel a bit like you're locked in. I haven't tried all the characters but I find myself enjoying the faster characters like Rukia more since they feel more snappy. I think a higher framerate would help a lot as well. I'm not sure what the demo you were playing was running at, but on the X the open beta is 30 at max and seems to be dipping below that. A locked 60 would go a long way.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
How do you play offline in the beta? It doesn't seem like I'm able to.
For PS4 do these steps and then you will be offline and will be able to access the game.
sn53jfxnz0b21.jpg

(Credit SergioM3)

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Missed out on the last beta due to having to cover for my friend at work last minute, so hoping to partake in this one. Still freakin' wish there was an offline training mode, I want to demo a game in a single player environment, not be thrown in a multiplayer match with little to no idea how to play the game.

This is mainly for me, but here's the times converted to Eastern:

Session 1

Friday, January 18 at 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. EST

Session 2

Saturday, January 19 at 12:00 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. EST

Session 3

Saturday, January 19 at 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. EST

Session 4

Sunday, January 20 at 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. EST

Thanks for the conversion I was pondering on this myself

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
For PS4 do these steps and then you will be offline and will be able to access the game.
sn53jfxnz0b21.jpg

(Credit SergioM3)
On the one hand, appreciate the info, but I hate how I have to jump through hoops just to try the game in a single player environment so I can learn the controls at my own pace. Why not offer a training mode for the off hours? Or better yet, why not just offer offline mode to everyone in the first place instead of having to deal with my internet settings?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Uh.

My first impression is that I think I'm disliking this more than J-Stars.

LET THAT SINK IN. THEY SOMEHOW MADE J-STARS LESS FUN.

First off, the presentation feels soulless. At least in J-Stars, as weird as some of the UI choices were, it at least embraced the fact it was all about the fact they were all from manga. This just feel like "NO, THIS IS SUPER SERIOUS, THIS AIN'T NO COMIC OR CARTOON". I've also never been a fan of games where they need to feel as though they need to get rid of a normal menu & have you walk around a giant area just to select what you want to do. If it's just for the online lobby, I guess it's fine, but I don't want to have to walk to one place to another just to play the game offline. I disliked this in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle & always used the menu option, and I dislike it here as well.

Also I guess I already knew this, but the fact all 3 characters share the same lifebar is kinda lame. It makes it feel like there's no point in choosing two other characters unless they're suppose to be used for combos or assists, but it just encourages me to just stick with one character. As a fan of the Marvel Vs. Capcom games, it just goes against everything I enjoy about crossover tag games, that each team member matters because they're most likely going to partake in the fight, but here, it just seems at the moment that I can get by with one character if I'm good enough with them.

I tried playing as Kenshiro & Hisoka, and while I'll give it a few more tries to get a better hang of the controls, they don't feel fun to control? It's hard to explain, but I think how Sparks & Tharp explained it seems to be the best way to describe it at the moment:

I haven't played it a ton yet, but I know what you mean, it has an auto-combo feel going on but with some of the characters having slow/long animations, it can feel a bit like you're locked in. I haven't tried all the characters but I find myself enjoying the faster characters like Rukia more since they feel more snappy.

So far, I'm now very likely to cancel my pre-order of the deluxe edition, even with the 20% discount from Best Buy. I guess if there was one good thing, it doesn't seem like it'll have the annoying long super cutscenes that J-Stars had like when you powered up & HAD to see all three team members charging every single match.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I wasn't expecting a very high level of polish, but wow, those pre-fight intros are extremely underwhelming, how can you hype a fight with the characters just standing there opening their mouths?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting a very high level of polish, but wow, those pre-fight intros are extremely underwhelming, how can you hype a fight with the characters just standing there opening their mouths?
Man, that's another downgrade from J-Stars. Every character had a special title card with their name & the logo of their series in the corner, even the non-playable characters who were only support.

Hell, there was a ton of fun crossover intro quotes based on who you were playing as vs. who you were fighting, including some great references like Gintoki & Joseph Joestar being voiced by the same guy.

I'll have to test it out with stuff like Goku vs. Frieza, Gon vs. Hisoka, etc. to see if there's any special intro quotes, but again, this just feels like they sucked out all the manga soul that J-Stars had.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay wise this is easily miles better than J Stars. Thought I'd be bothered by the shared health bar but it works fine and just makes matches quicker. The smaller maps, faster wakeup, improved hitstun, smoother combos, etc are all very welcome improvements. Only issue I have so far is that it feels more on the button mashy side since there doesn't seem to be a ton of variation in the directional attacks, though I've only played so little so I can't tell for sure. At the very least the combo game being improved still makes the core experience solid. I hated how much invulnerability on wakeup there was in J Stars.

Man, that's another downgrade from J-Stars. Every character had a special title card with their name & the logo of their series in the corner, even the non-playable characters who were only support.

Hell, there was a ton of fun crossover intro quotes based on who you were playing as vs. who you were fighting, including some great references like Gintoki & Joseph Joestar being voiced by the same guy.

I'll have to test it out with stuff like Goku vs. Frieza, Gon vs. Hisoka, etc. to see if there's any special intro quotes, but again, this just feels like they sucked out all the manga soul that J-Stars had.

Honestly I prefer the new intros. Quick and snappy. The ones in J Stars were cool the first two times you saw them, then you realize it takes a solid minute of introductions before you can get into the meat of the action which is the core of any fighting game. The ones in Jump Force are one and done, and I'm sure they'll have plenty of character interactions via dialogue.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I prefer the new intros. Quick and snappy. The ones in J Stars were cool the first two times you saw them, then you realize it takes a solid minute of introductions before you can get into the meat of the action which is the core of any fighting game. The ones in Jump Force are one and done, and I'm sure they'll have plenty of character interactions via dialogue.
Fair enough, one of the things that was annoying with J-Stars was the unskippable scenes in battle, like that power-up cutscene of seeing all 3 characters spinning in a circle with close-ups for each one. It was just one of those little touches that went a long way to show the game was celebrating 45 years of Shonen Jump history with just how many they had & how many unique ones involved characters from different franchise. Again, maybe they're still in Jump Force, I just need to discover them.

I'll give the game another go in a bit, but so far, it just doesn't have that same "celebration of SJ's history" feeling that J-Stars had, despite how that game was rather mediocre at the end of the day, which is why I'm able to overlook some of the flaws the game had because it wanted to pay homage to all the franchises included.

Oct 25, 2017

There are crossover quotes