• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
The long gaps between each wrestler's match and their next one is really hurting the pace of the series. Some of the participants are just having their first match now - 9 days into the tournament!

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
This might be the most boring G1 I've ever seen so far.

I have to agree. There have been a couple of standout matches, but overall the energy and excitement just hasn't been there. It doesn't feel like the G1 at all really.

The long gaps between each wrestler's match and their next one is really hurting the pace of the series. Some of the participants are just having their first match now - 9 days into the tournament!

Yep. I don't feel like the 4 block setup has worked, although that might be down to the scheduling rather than blocks themselves and how they have set them up. You look at the schedule for some of the G1 days and they seem to put a bunch of uninteresting match ups on the same day that have zero star power. That day last week when they had Fale, Owens, and Yujiro singles matches take up 3 slots of a 4 G1 match card was just dire and gives the illusion that a lot of the tournament is missable.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have enjoyed quite a few matches in the G1 but it definitely feels a lot colder than previous years, it is a mixture of the crowds not being able to cheer and NJPW just not having very many compelling characters right now.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
It doesn't feel special when you're a guy who's not the world champion and has never even earned a major world title.

At least in the case of Brock you can say he's a former multiple time world champion in WWE, NJPW and UFC. He's an attraction, similar to how they booked Andre in the later years. You can't book MJF as a threat because he's not doing anything to earn a spot in the rankings outside of random blood feuds.
No lies detected.
Especially when half of his matches ended with him using the ring lmao Very compelling…
Looking forward to him fucking off to WWE so I don't have to see dudes I like stuck in feuds with him where he always does the same shit.

"No no no no, cut my music! I will NOT wrestle you tonight IN THIS SHIT HOLE THAT IS *insert city*, you will have to face these 5 dudes I booked myself (for some reason), go through my 3 trials (that Tony Khan accepted for some reason even though he doesn't respect me!?!?), and MAYBE we'll talk!"

😴😴😴😴

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It doesn't feel special when you're a guy who's not the world champion and has never even earned a major world title.

At least in the case of Brock you can say he's a former multiple time world champion in WWE, NJPW and UFC. He's an attraction, similar to how they booked Andre in the later years. You can't book MJF as a threat because he's not doing anything to earn a spot in the rankings outside of random blood feuds.
My thoughts exactly.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected.
Especially when half of his matches ended with him using the ring lmao Very compelling…
Looking forward to him fucking off to WWE so I don't have to see dudes I like stuck in feuds with him where he always does the same shit.

"No no no no, cut my music! I will NOT wrestle you tonight IN THIS SHIT HOLE THAT IS *insert city*, you will have to face these 5 dudes I booked myself (for some reason), go through my 3 trials (that Tony Khan accepted for some reason even though he doesn't respect me!?!?), and MAYBE we'll talk!"

😴😴😴😴

Yet he was two of the best AEW fueds this year. And one of them was the fued of the year.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
No lies detected.

😴😴😴😴
I'm still annoyed when I think about the Cody/MJF feud. Cody was EVP, he should have just pulled rank and said if you don't fight me you're gone and no one will even ask about you the next day. I might be joining you on the anti-mjf sentiment. But I'm still leaning towards wanting to see him back for All Out.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm stunned at the opinion that MJF had average matches. Aside from the Punk match, I thought all of his other big PPV matches were straight fire. The Jungle Boy one was a top 5 for me that year.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
I have a question for people saying they won't watch WWE because of Saudi Arabia. While I know some of the reasoning behind this (and believe me Saudi Arabia is in war with my country so I understand), there is something I don't get. Isn't almost every company in the world having business with Saudi Arabia? Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Google, Apple, etc... Everyone is doing business with Saudi Arabia so why is it a problem with WWE? Unless the deal with Saudi Arabia is different or that it's easy to boycott WWE but not the products of these companies.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I have a question for people saying they won't watch WWE because of Saudi Arabia. While I know some of the reasoning behind this (and believe me Saudi Arabia is in war with my country so I understand), there is something I don't get. Isn't almost every company in the world having business with Saudi Arabia? Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Google, Apple, etc... Everyone is doing business with Saudi Arabia so why is it a problem with WWE? Unless the deal with Saudi Arabia is different or that it's easy to boycott WWE but not the products of these companies.
It's not the (main) reason why I don't watch WWE, but yeah when you think about it they might be the easiest company to "boycott". You just have to change the channel and you're good.

The other thing is that the Saudi stuff is an integral part of their product at this point, with them actively hyping up the events, building stories in their other shows…
You don't get a big flashing "SAUDI ARABIA IS A GREAT COUNTRY" when you go to McDonalds or grab a Coke.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
What hampered the MJF situation is it unintentionally happened at the beginning of the craziest news cycle wrestling has experienced in years.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021

It's not just Saudi Arabia for me. It's that plus all the other ties with shady or immoral organisations, plus my distrust of Triple H, the company still being run by a McMahon (the person of the "philanthropy is the future of marketing" quote), and the general horrible presentation even without Dunn's grubby mitts on the camera direction and editing.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
This is the weakest G1 in a long time, the long wait between matches for certain wrestlers, a weak lineup and rinds being unable mean it is sorely lacking.

It would have been massively improved if NJPW had leveraged their cooperation with other promotions and cut the dead weight.

Fale and Yujiro, neither contribute anything to the G1. Some people are pissed about the inclusion of ELP, but he works his ass off and will deliver, plus I could see this being the beginning of his transition to heavyweight full time.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I am surprised at the lack of GLEAT dudes in the G1.
BOSJ was way better in that regards with wrestlers from different companies

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
This Yujiro/Pieter story is impossibly bad on so many levels. And trying to get the audience to feel sympathy for Yujiro is just yuck.

Where the fuck is CIMA? I thought for sure he'd be in this G1. T-Hawk would have been great also.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whilst any company dealing with SA is bad in my books, there is a difference with what WWE has going on.

The entire premise of their deal is to promote SA and make them look like a progressive and welcoming place for tourists, It's propaganda (sports washing).

I mean let's look how the first one or two events were promoted in WWE. They constantly referred to how progressive and great it was. Constantly talk about how working with WWE has made them take steps to overcoming outdated rules by them having women's matches on the show etc.

It's not just them deciding to sell a drink in the country, it's tailoring an entire product to help improve the image of a country that openly breaks human rights rules.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst any company dealing with SA is bad in my books, there is a difference with what WWE has going on.

The entire premise of their deal is to promote SA and make them look like a progressive and welcoming place for tourists, It's propaganda (sports washing).

I mean let's look how the first one or two events were promoted in WWE. They constantly referred to how progressive and great it was. Constantly talk about how working with WWE has made them take steps to overcoming outdated rules by them having women's matches on the show etc.

It's not just them deciding to sell a drink in the country, it's tailoring an entire product to help improve the image of a country that openly breaks human rights rules.
Exactly. While I'm not really a fan of supporting any company doing business with the Saudi's, but a company doing blatant propaganda for them that also happens to be not supported by just changing the channel makes their product easily ignorable for me

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I def miss MJF. He's the best heel on western wrestling right now and there's no one even close to him. His pipebomb would have ended up being bigger if it had been followed with... anything. But Tony had Forbidden Door and nerds to be fed so that basically killed every storyline that wasn't the BCC vs JAS. AEW has felt directionless since. But the first half of the year had MJF being on the best feuds of the year and at least one MOTY candidate.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I think NJPW is more willing to let their junior weight division eat pins to outside the company dudes. Same with those outside companies. Like Ace Austin or wheeler Yuta isn't going to be as protected as hangman page

The BOSJ made me think the G1 this year was going to be insane but I stead we got ... Lance archer.

I think if AEW hadn't had injuries we would have gotten more crossover.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I think if AEW hadn't had injuries we would have gotten more crossover.

I did think that at first, but man, all of those stories involving Trent, Malakai, Hangman, Miro, etc have been straight fire at the top of the card huh? Oh...

I still agree that it's more than likely the reason. But I think TK has shown little to justify it as the right one.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I did think that at first, but man, all of those stories involving Trent, Malakai, Hangman, Miro, etc have been straight fire at the top of the card huh? Oh...

I still agree that it's more than likely the reason. But I think TK has shown little to justify it as the right one.

I think TK is booking scared right now. He's got a PPV in 5 weeks and doesn't want anyone else getting hurt.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I def miss MJF. He's the best heel on western wrestling right now and there's no one even close to him. His pipebomb would have ended up being bigger if it had been followed with... anything. But Tony had Forbidden Door and nerds to be fed so that basically killed every storyline that wasn't the BCC vs JAS. AEW has felt directionless since. But the first half of the year had MJF being on the best feuds of the year and at least one MOTY candidate.

If anything, MJF isnt coming back anytime soon...not during the Summer/beginning of Fall. The whole point of MJF being AWOL is to keep asking "where is he?". Pretty sure he'll be brought back later in the year when AEW needs those TV ratings up because whether you like the guy or not, there is the proof when he's on the TV, ratings for that segment go up.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Also, MJF seemed to need some time off for his own mental health, so AEW not booking him for a while to let him feel better is a good decision even if it fucks with the "storyline program".

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
So Triple H taking over creative is also good also because Kevin Dunn is a giant piece of garbage, to the shock of no one.

View: https://twitter.com/Aqeelk94/status/1552287063302627328

The day Dunn gets fired will be one of the best days in WWE history.

The moment I saw him critique John Hennigan (John Morrison) on Tough Enough, I thought, "yeah this dude is giving off douchebag vibes." It's probably why the women's division is in the state it is now.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whilst I haven't been thinking about MJF week to week, I do think he is missed.

If they do work something out and he comes back properly, I don't think this break will have hurt anything. All it takes is for him to make a shock return in some big angle and you would get the talking going again. Holding him off is smart because if they had brought him back quickly it would have felt even more of a work and people would have got over it pretty quickly I feel.

Hold off for punk to be back and eventually have MJF make a shocking return to set him up for a title shot and win. Would be a massive story and would be pretty exciting I think.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think by this time next week Dunn is out on his fucking ass

The real changes will start post-Sooma Slam

Oct 8, 2019
There's a bunch of things Jim Cornette is wrong about like Japanese Joshi Wrestling, but his utter hatred of Kevin Dunn is not one of them. Dunn hates wrestling, Dunn despite having no interest in wrestling can ruin wrestlers careers by stating dumb shit like "I dont like their accents" or "She needs some boobies"

The problem is that what was the follow up to the pipe bomb? Turn MJF into a babyface who fights off a bunch of ex-WWE sent by Tony Khan? The reason why you could even followup the pipe bomb in WWE was because Vince already made himself a villain following people shitting on him for the Bret Screwed Bret thing.

Tony Khan doesnt want himself to be a character, he doesnt want the EVP to be characters, he certainly doesnt want the storyline to be "Tony Khan is a mark for ex-WWE guys now watch MJF beat them down"