• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
If the product improves, they stop the Saudi shows and we get consistent reports of good behaviour from management back stage with good wrestler morale then I might consider watching WWE again.

They'll never stop the Saudi shows, so it's still years away for me but I can see a path back to watching again. Which I haven't been able to see for the last 4 years.
WWE is under contract with the Saudi government so they couldn't stop activities there even if they wanted to. The best thing we can hope for is that they don't re-sign in........ 2028. 🥴

Oct 8, 2019
I'm not so sure on these two.

The first is down to marketing and I can see Khan being a big part of them making sure that everything is marketable and tradmarkable.

The second is also down to the potential of a sale I think. The new method of signing unknown school sports stars could be them developing a feeder system and process that is ready for non wrestling company to continue to use after a sale. Easier for new owners to come into a system where you simply scout good athletes and place them into a training system then hiring people who can scout existing talent and judge if they need training etc. Also keeps costs down as you are singing unknowns.

but your also not getting talent you can use. The results of the new training have been abysmal because you need to hire massive amounts of new trainers or your going to get WCW's Power Plant because no one is going to get enough time with a trainer to actually get good.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Takeovers back in the day were fantastic, but the weekly shows were only ok. And the best of those weekly shows were during the one hour pre-taped era. When NXT went live and extended to two hours, those shows were not very good (extremely hit and miss). Now HHH is being asked to run five hours of weekly live television
I'd agree that weekly shows were kinda whatever back in the one hour era, I never kept the network going for them but I would happily watch them when I did my usual sign up for the takeover, the one hour format was snappy if nothing else.

Meanwhile I'd argue that two hour NXT was actually pretty good and only really stalled out towards the end with the Kross era.
I thought it followed a similar format to AEW where each week at least aimed to have one or two notable matches, while sprinkling in the odd PPV/takeover lite episode.
Arguably its biggest issue was just that Dynamite offered something similar but more compelling, fresher and ultimately more purposeful

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The WWE will not suddenly become the company with the bangers that slap cum and fuck from the indies. HHH is fully aware that booking a show catered to smarks is vastly different to one that is more "casual"

At best I expect improvements on some really specific stuff that Vince loves, but for the most part is still going to be the WWE that you love to hate

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
but your also not getting talent you can use. The results of the new training have been abysmal because you need to hire massive amounts of new trainers or your going to get WCW's Power Plant because no one is going to get enough time with a trainer to actually get good.
Who said anything about it being a good direction to take?

I'm simply stating the most likely reason that it was implemented in the first place. Cheaper talent, can be built from the ground up, can give them whatever shitty names and characters you want to trademark etc.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
You are expecting way too much

I don't think I'm expecting much at all.

are we forgetting just how incompetent vince mcmahon was

any idiot off the street could do a better job. hhh on his worst day is > vince on his best day.

any idiot could tell you "this is not how a real human being speaks" or "you should probably hire the people training for your craft instead of... people who look good but have no knowledge of your craft."

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The WWE will not suddenly become the company with the bangers that slap cum and fuck from the indies. HHH is fully aware that booking a show catered to smarks is vastly different to one that is more "casual"

At best I expect improvements on some really specific stuff that Vince loves, but for the most part is still going to be the WWE that you love to hate
I figure at best it goes back to at least something like the first half of the 2010's, aka the shield and authority eras
A mixed bag of content with some notable highs and baffling lows

which would be a mammoth jump over whatever the fuck the last few years have been.
I still remember the raw that broke me, Lashley's sisters....

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm expecting much at all.

are we forgetting just how incompetent vince mcmahon was

any idiot off the street could do a better job. hhh on his worst day is > vince on his best day.

any idiot could tell you "this is not how a real human being speaks" or "you should probably hire the people training for your craft instead of... people who look good but have no knowledge of your craft."
Vince isn't dead, and he's still the majority owner of the company. Steph and HHH are not going to come in and make the type of changes that would upset Vince

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WWE is under contract with the Saudi government so they couldn't stop activities there even if they wanted to. The best thing we can hope for is that they don't re-sign in........ 2028. 🥴
In the meantime, they could not promote them outside of Saudi Arabia and just have them be very expensive untelevised house shows.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Vince isn't dead, and he's still the majority owner of the company. Steph and HHH are not going to come in and make the type of changes that would upset Vince
Nah, on SD they were using verbiage that Vince banned including ROH and NJPW. WWE wrestlers were also commenting more on other company wrestler's pages including them commenting on Cesaro's ROH win. Yeah it's small stuff but we wouldn't get something like that on a regular Raw or SD back when Vince was here. Vince is the dude was banned the world "belt" and "wrestler" being said. Even if he's the majority shareholder, he can't stop em.

This isn't a "hey guys Vince is the shadow owner we gotta listen to him or else" situation. I think people are just thinking that because most people are pessimistic when it comes to anything that might be positive wrestling-wise.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The real question is how long before Vince gets angry about the changes and starts getting really aggressive about selling the company.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds now that vince is retired,Stephanie would allow a forbidden door show with aew,njpw,roh,or impact wrestling ?
If they feel it would make them money and improve the company, it can happen. Chances shot up but right now who knows. It's definitely a higher chance than when Vince was here that's for sure. It's not a .0000001%.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be hard to say how much change there's going to be. Could a happen tonight with it being the first full trips show, could happen after summerslam if they just follow-up on what Vince was planning. Or it could never change and it'll all be Vince via radio, with HHH being seen as the best continuity candidate for that.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
All I heard for years was "the stock would tank if Vince goes"

"As far as the market goes, Vince is the only guy who can run a pro wrestling company"

snip1txjh7.png

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Apparently the stock is up due to the belief that, with Vince gone, the company's sale is now inevitable.

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we're going to live in a world where WWE wrestlers can own their own names again and use them if they ever leave the company. Hell imagine a world where WWE wrestlers can actually go work other promotions like an independent contractor should be able to as long as they prioritize WWE bookings.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone forgetting NXT's shit booking under Triple H in the last couple of years when he was in charge? I dunno why people are expecting some sort of significant change in the product.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is everyone forgetting NXT's shit booking under Triple H in the last couple of years when he was in charge? I dunno why people are expecting some sort of significant change in the product.
Yeah I distinctly remember a lot of complaints during that time and the general consensus was that he was too focused on trying to one up AEW that he ended up fucking things up.

Could be different of course but I think he won't be booking raw and Smackdown like he did during the 'golden age' of NXT regardless, mainly because it's different audiences.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
HHH being in charge does probably mean that Io stays.

I don't think he messes with any character changes Vince has already done though. At least not immediately.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
JFC, listening to WOR, it now looks like the 14.6 million of company funds is NOT the same thing as the 12 million that Vince (apparently) paid out of his own pocket. This would include stuff like that one person getting a 100k raise due to an arrangement made with Vince.

Just how deep does this wormhole go?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Pre2.0 NXT went down hill for me when Ciampa, Gargano and Adam Cole (and the rest of UE) were the focus for what seems like years, going two hours on USA didn't help either but if I never see another "Johnny Wrestling" or Adam Cole match it would be too soon.

And I know a lot of people lost interest when it was clear that nothing in NXT mattered when it came to talent moves to the main roster where they were frequently turned into chumps.

Prince Akeem

Nov 5, 2017

There was a stretch where NXT was must see TV and the best programing WWE produced in several years.

There also was a stretch where NXT was dull as dishwater and the only thing folks cared about was the takeovers...and even that started to wear thin.

This is why I think things will improve but at the same time I don't think Paul is this booking God some are making him out to be.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
For all the faults people like to give NXT (and rightfully so), when Io Shirai and Finn Balor were the top champs, their stuff was absolutely great.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
For all the faults people like to give NXT (and rightfully so), when Io Shirai and Finn Balor were the top champs, their stuff was absolutely great.
Balor's second NXT run did absolutely nothing for me. I distinctly remember him being attacked and later doing a promo about his unknown attacker attacked him to get a push, but instead was going to get a squash instead (or something like that). Eye-rollingly awful

Last edited:

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Balor's second NXT run did absolutely nothing for me. I distinctly remember him being attacked and later doing a promo about his unknown attacker attacked him to get a push, but instead was going to get a squash instead (or something like that). Eye-rollingly awful
Things didn't go so well for him once he hit the main roster.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Just remember that HHH had Keith Lee unify and North American and NXT titles...just to give one up the next week.
I mean to be fair, that probably wasn't his fault. Vince loves to call up people at the worst possible times just to piss off Triple H.

Vince had also pulled something similar with Kairi and Io. Because KAIRI talked about it, and originally, Io was supposed to turn on her instead of Candice. But then she (Kairi) got called up and Triple H had to pivot to a Candice/Io feud instead. And during that entire time, while Io was getting more popular on NXT, Kairi was wasting away on the main roster.

Oct 8, 2019
Another big change is that I dont think HHH is going to think 'Why should I push Sarray or Io Shirai when I am already pushing Asuka, I just need one of them"

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Just remember that HHH had Keith Lee unify and North American and NXT titles...just to give one up the next week.

Dont companies usually do that though? When Warrior won the WWE belt he had to relinquish the IC belt for example. Don't know of any promotion that's let anyone keep both the main and secondary titles. Could be forgetting one though.