• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Direct link.

Direct link.

www.patriots.com

Patriots WR Julian Edelman Announced His Retirement

Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman announced his retirement today.

Edelman, 34, is a veteran of 12 seasons with the Patriots after originally joining the team as a seventh-round draft pick (232nd overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft out of Kent State. The 5-foot-10-inch, 198-pounder played in 137 regular season games with 85 starts and is second in team history with 620 receptions, fourth with 6,822 receiving yards and ninth with 36 receiving touchdowns. He also had 58 rushing attempts for 413 yards, the most rushing attempts and rushing yards by a wide receiver in Patriots history. His 9,869 all-purpose yards are fourth in team history.

Direct link.

Direct link.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Greatest catch of all-time.
jLrqcA.gif

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
He failed his physical so I don't think he'll be heading out to Tampa anytime soon, he's done for good.

Must suck to have to step away from something you love so much, but as a New Englander with a only a passing interest in Football, Edelman will be missed.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
One of my favorite Patriots ever, right up there with Troy Brown, Brady and Bruschi for me. Dude had an amazing career, replaced a possible HoF in Welker and did amazing. Glad he's stepping away while he's still somewhat healthy because he was dealing with bumps and bruises the last few years.

Greatest catch on Super Bowl history, still have no idea how he caught it or how the ref knew he caught it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him to retire now.

I honestly feared for him last season because Cam was hanging receivers out to dry for most of the year and I thought if edelman comes back he's gonna get popped a few too many times.

He's got some achievements that are pretty wild. Pretty sure he's the 2nd most accomplished receiver in playoff history, behind jerry rice. And I think he has more playoff wins than any other wr. I have to go back and double check that one. Wish I was at my computer to pull up the stats and compare.

I don't think he'll make the HoF, but a solid case can be made because of his epic post season performances for 11 seasons.

There are more talented WR in the nfl the last 10-20 years. Fitzgerald, CJ, Antonio Brown, Green, Jones, Dez, Reggie Wayne, etc... But in terms of post season, there's Jerry Rice and then Julian Edelman. Not bad for a college QB. Also one of the greatest 7th round picks ever.

Last edited:

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Reggie Wayne might not get into the Hall of Fame (although he should and probably will) and yet Patriot homers are arguing for Edelman to be in the HOF. At no point in his career was he even a top 5 WR in the league. He was good, but not even close to HOF worthy.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
What does it say about GM bill that the best WR he gave Brady in the past 10 years was a Kent Stae QB?

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Reggie Wayne might not get into the Hall of Fame (although he should and probably will) and yet Patriot homers are arguing for Edelman to be in the HOF. At no point in his career was he even a top 5 WR in the league. He was good, but not even close to HOF worthy.

Reggie Wayne should be in the HoF and Edelman should be too. He literally carried the team to multi super bowls on a team "with no WRs" and was SB MVP in a game starring Tom Brady. The argument is certainly there. Understood that there is a counter argument but there is def reasoning for the discussion.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
lol cant believe some people think he's HOF worthy off some playoff performances.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl 43 Big Ben to Santonio Holmes is my favorite throw/catch combo in SB history.

giphy.gif

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Reggie Wayne should be in the HoF and Edelman should be too. He literally carried the team to multi super bowls on a team "with no WRs" and was SB MVP in a game starring Tom Brady. The argument is certainly there. Understood that there is a counter argument but there is def reasoning for the discussion.

Edelman carried a team to SBs? Edelman has better playoff stats than Calvin Johnson. Is Edelman better than Calvin because Calvin didn't carry the Lions to a SB? If you switched those 2 is Edelman carrying the Lions to SBs? Saying any players should be in HoF based entirely of playoff stats is ridiculous, for anything other than a QB, and even then it can be overstated. In 11 seasons with Pats Edelman had 41 TDs including the playoffs. In 3 regular seasons with the Pats Randy Moss caught 47.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute legend. More memorable clutch plays than a ton of entire franchises.

The Seattle SB was one of the my favorite Jules games ever. Dude didn't leave one inch on the field that game.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Edelman carried a team to SBs? Edelman has better playoff stats than Calvin Johnson. Is Edelman better than Calvin because Calvin didn't carry the Lions to a SB? If you switched those 2 is Edelman carrying the Lions to SBs? Saying any players should be in HoF based entirely of playoff stats is ridiculous, for anything other than a QB, and even then it can be overstated. In 11 seasons with Pats Edelman had 41 TDs including the playoffs. In 3 regular seasons with the Pats Randy Moss caught 47.

Yep, you are right. There is nothing wrong with Pats fans thinking he is good and appreciating his career. But, this dude did not make a single Pro-Bowl. I wouldn't reduce my view of him because he played with Tom Brady, but come on, there are dudes out there who had more productive seasons with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Reality is he had a great career and played in a ton of big games, but he was not better than a ton of other dudes from his own era just based on the eye test but it's even worse if you look at his career stats. He basically has identical career stats to Pierre Garcon lol I am sure I'm gonna miss a ton but, Calvin Johnson, D Hop, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Davante Adams, OBJ, Larry Fitzgerald, etc etc. There is no argument for him that is reasonable

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
bleacherreport.com

Rob Gronkowski Announces NFL Retirement After 9 Seasons with Patriots

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has retired. He announced his decision Sunday on Instagram. By his incredibly high standards, the 29-year-old had a down year in 2018...

Legit retire or is he playing with the Bucs too?
Retiring to the Bucs mid season.
He will unretire to play with Brady

As a Bucs fan, don't even joke. Bucs don't need any more Pats and they have enough wide receivers that even Antonio Brown is a luxury.