• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Snowden has proven to be a known shit stirrer and has shit opinions. Openly dressed MET detectives are now UK secret police ? You want to know about secret police ask your host Putin.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It really could not be more obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together what their goals are, but Assange must still be charged in such a way as to not imperil legitimate journalists exposing the misdeeds of powerful institutions. If they hit him with the Espionage Act, that is some actually disturbing shit. My fear is that this is the avenue for Trump's DOJ to finally begin "opening up those libel laws" like he so desperately wants to do.

if bolton/trump are involved in this, this is most likely the real reason

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Where exactly did I say that? So you think the US DoJ is going to charge him for releasing that information? Sure.

You support him right? Then you are wilfully over looking death that his has cause because he once did something good. Typical white man defense. Cant we just ignore that rape, those piles of dead bodies, just because he has adoring fanboys.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Snowdens a hero tho???

He may as well be. I guess.

We live in a really shitty world. The info he stole from the govt was definitely a game changer in the sense it gave us an idea how broad the surveillance is. He showed us we live in a non fictional big brother state.

That action was heroic. He isn't a hero.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
Statement from PM of UK:

"[...]This goes to show that, in the United Kingdom, no one is above the law.[...]"

Unless they broke the law for the referendum on Brexit. Then it's fine.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Whistleblowers are important, but that is not the role Assange played. He was an information broker, posing as a neutral clearing ground for information while actually seeking to effect a particular outcome by filtering what did and did not get released. Moreover, he repeatedly (and in some cases intentionally) allowed collateral damage via his releases by including identifying info for regular people (military sources, women voters in Turkey, etc.) who stood to be harmed.

If he had been everything he claimed to be, I think he would still be facing the same outcome here. And that's likely not a good thing - though perhaps he would already have been taken out by former collaborators with fewer scruples, like Russia.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
Should we love and celebrate someone who was instrumental in getting Trump elected instead? Someone who helped irreparably harm the country for decades?

ya cause Hillary would have been a GREAT choice lmao - id rather someone whos dumb and too stupid to realize his racism to that snake Hillary.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
They're going after him for this
Of course they are. Apparently that's totally a-okay with some people though because Trump or something.

I mean, all that stuff just makes the Assange case so complicated to judge, but I honestly cannot fathom how anyone is happy with him being charged on these grounds.
You support him right? Then you are wilfully over looking death that his has cause because he once did something good. Typical white man defense. Cant we just ignore that rape, those piles of dead bodies, just because he has adoring fanboys.
Yes, I said I'd be happy with him being charged on rape allegations or hacking (of the DNC e-mails if he did so himself), so I must obviously support him.

That's what I love about discussions on this forum, this constant "You're not 100% with me? Must be one of them, then!" Really leads to fruitful and productive discussions.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Snowden has proven to be a known shit stirrer and has shit opinions. Openly dressed MET detectives are now UK secret police ? You want to know about secret police ask your host Putin.

He's claiming he's talking about police officers in plain clothes which had been staking out the embassy days beforehand... Which is still plain clothes officers, not 'secret police'. Snowden of all people should damn well know what 'secret police' implies.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you live? I think it's complicated as far as Snowden. Back in 2013 I thought so too. But the last six years, being stuck in Russia, I just have an issue with a lot of his tweets from that account.
C4V1gFOWIAAm1XM.jpg

NOTHING TO SEE COMRADE

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they are. Apparently that's totally a-okay with some people though because Trump or something.

I mean, all that stuff just makes the Assange case so complicated to judge, but I honestly cannot fathom how anyone is happy with him being charged on these grounds.

Yes, I said I'd be happy with him being charged on rape allegations or hacking, so I must honestly support him.

That's what I love about discussions on this forum, this constant "You're not 100% with me? Must be one of them, then!" Really leads to fruitful and productive discussions.

The illegal wars carried out by the US, and notably, the UK, don't really matter when it comes down to it. You could see that in America when it came to 2016 and suddenly George Bush was a hero because something something poncho at Trump's inauguration. You repeatedly get rhetoric that Trump is far worse than Bush because all the lives lost in the Middle East aren't on home soil (even although many American soldiers were killed).

One doesn't have to currently like Assange, to be honest about why the US Government is gunning for him here. It's nothing to do with the things everyone is talking about in this topic. It's for sharing leaked information that made the US Government look like shit.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Whistleblowers are important, but that is not the role Assange played. He was an information broker, posing as a neutral clearing ground for information while actually seeking to effect a particular outcome by filtering what did and did not get released. Moreover, he repeatedly (and in some cases intentionally) allowed collateral damage via his releases by including identifying info for regular people (military sources, women voters in Turkey, etc.) who stood to be harmed.

If he had been everything he claimed to be, I think he would still be facing the same outcome here. And that's likely not a good thing - though perhaps he would already have been taken out by former collaborators with fewer scruples, like Russia.

Whistleblowing has it's place as a positive thing, when the data that is released is narrowly focused on whatever is being highlighted.

Information is a pretty fucking powerful thing, and when used without care can result of innocent people at best being placed in danger. The likes of Wikileaks, Snowden, Assange etc have been guilty of releasing data for the sake of it, with little care in the implications of such actions beyond what they intended. That has major ramifications.

People see this now, such as the incidents shown in the threadmark. It should be no surprise that it comes down to the political intent of those behind Wikileaks what happens with that leaked information - and history has shown that Assange/Snowden et al should be treated with the contempt they deserve. It's only a matter of time before Snowden, the pawn he is, sees himself seeing the same kind of situation once his current hosts have determined he is of no further use.

Oct 31, 2017
The illegal wars carried out by the US, and notably, the UK, don't really matter when it comes down to it. You could see that in America when it came to 2016 and suddenly George Bush was a hero because something something poncho at Trump's inauguration. You repeatedly get rhetoric that Trump is far worse than Bush because all the lives lost in the Middle East aren't on home soil.

One doesn't have to currently like Assange, to be honest about why the US Government is gunning for him here. It's nothing to do with the things everyone is talking about in this topic. It's for sharing leaked information that made the US Government look like shit.

Yup. And conviently, it allows people to forget about said war crimes. I'm all for prosecuting Assange for rape, but let's not pretend that's the only issue here

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
C4V1gFOWIAAm1XM.jpg

NOTHING TO SEE COMRADE

Those who actually believe this 2 party system isnt corrupt as fuck are delusional.

Trump is like the Antichrist. He is all the worst parts of capitalism rolled into a clown troll who has major self esteem issues and is a sociopath. He also believes all welfare should be corporate welfare.

Hilary was choice by default. Saying she was a good candidate is another conversation. I don't like her and I agree she is a corporate goon.

But she is one that wouldn't kill poor people and slave immigrants. So she wins by default. This tweet is disingenuous because it equates their awfulness when trump is so much worse. And it's not remotely close.

I don't think it's possible we will ever get a good candidate for president. Look what happened to Bernie.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ya cause Hillary would have been a GREAT choice lmao - id rather someone whos dumb and too stupid to realize his racism to that snake Hillary.

Welp

You honestly believe that Trump has no awareness of his racism?

The C's that the Trump family wrote on black families applications back in the 70s I guess isn't explicit enough for this person.

let them fuck it up and then have him go to jail in sweden

If they establish precedent it's worrying.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whistleblowing has it's place as a positive thing, when the data that is released is narrowly focused on whatever is being highlighted.

Information is a pretty fucking powerful thing, and when used without care can result of innocent people at best being placed in danger. The likes of Wikileaks, Snowden, Assange etc have been guilty of releasing data for the sake of it, with little care in the implications of such actions beyond what they intended. That has major ramifications.

People see this now, such as the incidents shown in the threadmark. It should be no surprise that it comes down to the political intent of those behind Wikileaks what happens with that leaked information - and history has shown that Assange/Snowden et al should be treated with the contempt they deserve. It's only a matter of time before Snowden, the pawn he is, sees himself seeing the same kind of situation once his current hosts have determined he is of no further use.
oooh. thank you, this is really well put.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I dislike Hillary. There's no way she's not a better choice than this fucking turd in office.
I agree with you, but we cannot keep going on with the fucking tweet from Snowden about the elections, it's like he somehow got Trump elected because he simply said that both Trump and Hillary were shit.

Every single time I read on this forum of some parallel reason why was Trump elected: Russia, Snowden, Fox News, my uncle, etc.
Sure I believe there was corruption etc, but it looks like a way to find someone to blame without looking at the status of the US during the election.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Denying climate change.
Locking kids in cages.
Inciting violence towards PoC.
Calling other countries shitholes.
A sexist piece of shit.
Rampant corruption.
Trying to fuck LGBTQ people
Nominating a known rapist called Kavanaugh as Supreme.

But sure, Hillary Clinton is worst than Trump. I don't even like her, but that statement is stupid.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And conviently, it allows people to forget about said war crimes. I'm all for prosecuting Assange for rape, but let's not pretend that's the only issue here

It would be better if posters in this topic could at least be intellectually honest about why the US is gunning for him here. It's not because of the 2016 election and Hillary Clinton not winning.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Having Assange in custody makes the Roger Stone trial a lot more interesting.

Assange can be compelled to appear in court during Stone's trial and he'll either take a bullet for Roger Stone or expose Roger Stone to get himself a lighter sentence.

Would Julian Assange die on a hill for Roger Stone? Or vice-versa?

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies, antagonistic behavior, and driving thread derailment
Denying climate change.
Locking kids in cages.
Inciting violence towards PoC.
Calling other countries shitholes.
A sexist piece of shit.
Rampant corruption.
Trying to fuck LGBTQ people
Nominating a known rapist called Kavanaugh as Supreme.

But sure, Hillary Clinton is worst than Trump. I don't even like her, but that statement is stupid.
Ya, cause Hillary probably isn't all those things and more too.

The point is id rather someone who's dumb and falls over their untied shoelaces than Hillary who is just as bad, but smarter and can hide it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Wikileaks selectively leaking the Panama Papers to protect Russian interests and suddenly not caring about transparency:
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/1...-government-during-u-s-presidential-campaign/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-russian-authors-say/?utm_term=.8bbe74e163d8
https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ma-papers-as-an-attempt-to-destabilise-russia
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/717458064324964352 (Also some antisemitism here, but I'll come back more to that one later)

Leaked Wikileaks emails proving that Assange did what he did to help Trump win:
https://thinkprogress.org/dump-of-w...on-assanges-conspiracy-theories-324923bf22a3/
https://theintercept.com/2018/02/14/julian-assange-wikileaks-election-clinton-trump/

Wikileaks twitter account posting stuff like Russian-propaganda conspiracy theories about MH17
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/492033939142619136?lang=en

Now, unlike the Panama Papers connected to Russian interests, which Wikileaks chose not to leak, Wikileaks was suddenly interested in transparency again when it came to stuff like, say, leaking information regarding rape victims in Saudi Arabia and the identity of gay men:
https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/23/...rsonal-data-exposed-rape-victims-saudi-arabia
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ts-sensitive-medical-information-saudi-arabia
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...udi-arabia-homosexuality-arrest-a7206901.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawo...sing-tyranny-or-a-tyrant-itself/#1518bdab7034

And the information of every woman voter in Turkey:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wikileaks-erdogan-emails_b_11158792
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-of-the-Female-Population-of-Turkey-Last-Week
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016...-most-of-turkeys-adult-female-population.html
https://www.wired.com/2016/07/wikileaks-officially-lost-moral-high-ground/

Oh, and there was also those times where Wikileaks posted blatantly anti-Semitic stuff like this:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ht-have-meant-by-that-anti-semitic-tweet.html
http://www.timesofisrael.com/wikile..._comment_id=1127039907342378_2005230816189945

The point being, Wikileaks under Assange was a thoroughly terrible organization not interested in transparency in any actual meaningful sense, not giving a damn who they hurt, and based on their selective interest in leaking information, what they do and don't leak, and the type of conspiracy nonsense posted to their Twitter, that they/Assange were very, very, very much connected to Russian interests. And that aside, the damage they did to Turkish and Saudi Arabian citizens with reckless release of information that serves no purpose at all other than to be damaging cannot be defended no matter how one feels about transparency (as it has nothing to do with transparency at all to begin with, as it's not useful to anything other than government interests in those countries and those that would wish to do harm at that information), especially with them giving up any claim to actually care about transparency regardless with their reaction to the Panama Papers.

Wikileaks under Assange was a terrible, terrible organization which was doing way too much harm to way too many people for those kinda reasons and more (as this naturally isn't even touching stuff like the rape accusations against Assange personally), but that stuff is a good starting point.
This was an incredibly helpful post, thank you! In my head, I was thinking "Why are people so against a dude releasing information?" but this gave me exactly what I was looking for.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The point is id rather someone who's dumb and falls over their untied shoelaces than Hillary who is just as bad, but smarter and can hide it.

I say this with full sincerity, you are astonishingly apathetic and your opinion is putrid. Take your both sides and false equivalency bullshit elsewhere.

The damage done to the federal government by Trump is gigantic and it will take multiple competent administrations to undo his bullshit. Educate yourself or wallow in your ignorance. Your choice.

This was an incredibly helpful post, thank you! In my head, I was thinking "Why are people so against a dude releasing information?" but this gave me exactly what I was looking for.

It should be a threadmark.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

I sure hope this is a joke or something like that. Because, wow, this is so wrong.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Because the dead gay and women Saudia Arabia and Turkey will never have their day in court because they are not white man with means. Instead of going to court and proving his innocent, this fucker ran away long enough for the statue of limitations to kick in on most of his rape charges. Sometimes the only solace victims of crimes get is for their attacker to be taken down on unrelated crimes. Tax evasion seems like such a milquetoast charge mob boss, but no one cries for Al Capone.

Oct 25, 2017

If Hillary were present, Brett Kavanagh and Neil Gorsuch would not be Supreme Court justices.

Its 2019, there is no excuse to be this ignorant

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the dead gay and women Saudia Arabia and Turkey will never have their day in court because they are not white man with means. Instead of going to court and proving his innocent, this fucker ran away long enough for the statue of limitations to kick in on most of his rape charges. Sometimes the only solace victims of crimes get is for their attacker to be taken down on unrelated crimes. Tax evasion seems like such a milquetoast charge mob boss, but no one cries for Al Capone.
but ah, as the wise man (me) once said, would you still be happy if he never hurt anyone? makes you think.