• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man that hiatus just hit me like a truck. Get well Gege but no JJK for what'll feel like forever is pain. Guess Black Clover and My Hero will have to do
HxH fans be like:
maxresdefault.jpg

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This hiatus bout to make me start that Kaiju series or Undead Unluck, need to fill the void

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This hiatus bout to make me start that Kaiju series or Undead Unluck, need to fill the void
I've been thinking of picking up more manga to buff up my Mangaplus Sundays for a while and this hiatus is probably gonna push me further.

Been thinking of Dr. Stone, but I dunno if I should start with anime first.

Been reading OP, MHA and JJK.

The last time I was actively reading several WSJ series at once was in the early 10s with One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. The last several months when I started doing that again have been a much better experience in contrast, when I think about it. I personally prefer One Piece post Zou to the post timeskip arcs prior by a good distance; the current MHA, despite some issues, is a much better time than War arc Naruto and JJK obviously appeals to me more than whatever the fuck was happening in that Bleach war or god forbid, the Fullbring arc. Outside of brief moments when HxH wasn't on a hiatus, it is no contest, really.

Also Spyfam wasn't around back then, so really, no contest for me. Plus there is now a site where I can read official translations weekly for free, instead of having to endure Mangapanda and "the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory".

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of picking up more manga to buff up my Mangaplus Sundays for a while and this hiatus is probably gonna push me further.

The last time I was actively reading several WSJ series at once was in the early 10s with One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. The last several months when I started doing that again have been a much better experience in contrast, when I think about it. I personally prefer One Piece post Zou to the post timeskip arcs prior by a good distance; the current MHA, despite some issues, is a much better time than War arc Naruto and JJK obviously appeals to me more than whatever the fuck was happening in that Bleach war or god forbid, the Fullbring arc. Outside of brief moments when HxH wasn't on a hiatus, it is no contest, really.

Also Spyfam wasn't around back then, so really, not contest for me. Plus there is now a site where I can read official translations weekly for free, instead of having to endure Mangapanda and "the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory".

I recommend Dr. Stone. Very different premise and protagonist from your usual battle shounen.

And Spy X Family > Bleach and Naruto combined ;D

Oct 25, 2017

Been reading OP, MHA and JJK.

Also Spyfam wasn't around back then, so really, no contest for me. Plus there is now a site where I can read official translations weekly for free, instead of having to endure Mangapanda and "the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory".
Dr. Stone:
Screenshot_2020-10-21-1-Dr-STONE-Vol-1-Official-Manga-Trailer-YouTube.png

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone is just incredible. Who knew a shonen manga about science would be so captivating.

both are good

Kaiju No. 8 has a cool plot, great art, and cool fights

Undead Unluck is kind of an insane story with crazy powers and a crazy mish mash of a plot. Definitely less serious than Kaiju No. 8. Also can be very fan servicey and trope-y and the main character falls into the lecher trope more than a few times, although it's not nearly as bad as Fairy Tale or Seven Deadly Sins. It is there though. I like it though and it can be a pretty fun read.

I'd recommend Kaiju No. 8 first, I feel like you'd like it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Dr. Stone seems like the best choice.

Is anime good enough?

It's serviceable, gets the job done. Again, not a series that has a bunch of fancy fights like your typical shounen, so it's not a dealbreaker or anything

Dr. Stone is just incredible. Who knew a shonen manga about science would be so captivating.

both are good

Kaiju No. 8 has a cool plot, great art, and cool fights

Undead Unluck is kind of an insane story with crazy powers and a crazy mish mash of a plot. Definitely less serious than Kaiju No. 8. Also can be very fan servicey and trope-y and the main character falls into the lecher trope more than a few times, although it's not nearly as bad as Fairy Tale or Seven Deadly Sins. It is there though. I like it though and it can be a pretty fun read.

I'd recommend Kaiju No. 8 first, I feel like you'd like it.

Yea I wanted to build up chapters for both, but maybe I'll just go ahead and read it sooner rather than later

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yea I wanted to build up chapters for both, but maybe I'll just go ahead and read it sooner rather than later
Kaiju No 8 is a good enough time, but, out of personal experience, I would advise not to go in too excited by the prospect of an adult MC.

He acts and talks exactly like your average fired up shonen teen, for the most part. That really bummed me out when I got into it, but otherwise it is a good enough read. Also chapters don't drop on Sunday, so you'd have to save them if you want to read it together with Sunday releases.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck has 66 chapters now which is a good amount imo. Kaiju is only at like 30 something and is on a 3 week on 1 week off schedule (releases on Thursdays)
Kaiju No 8 is a good enough time, but, out of personal experience, I would advise not to go in too excited by the prospect of an adult MC.

He acts and talks exactly like your average fired up shonen teen, for the most part. That really bummed me out when I got into it, but otherwise it is a good enough read. Also chapters don't drop on Sunday, so you'd have to save them if you want to read it together with Sunday releases.
idk, he definitely does act like a fired up shonen protag, but I also feel like he does bring a little bit more nuance and maturity to the role than your average 14-19 Shonen Protag.

But I agree in general it's not as different as one would expect, esp. since a majority of the supporting cast still falls into the teenage age range.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Also it is not exactly Weekly Shonen Jump... or shonen... or weekly... or anything Jump... but Delicious in Dungeon is some good shit and I recommend it to anyone in the market for a new manga series to catch up on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck has 66 chapters now which is a good amount imo. Kaiju is only at like 30 something and is on a 3 week on 1 week off schedule (releases on Thursdays)

Ideally I like to have at least 100 chapters built up. If people are still singing its praises at that point, then I truly know it's worth checking out while still having a good amount to binge.

Though that's with regular weekly series. For something bi-weekly though, I'd not as fussy about it since it'd take much longer to get that far lol, it's just a matter of when I feel like it

I have 0 expectations about that, to the point that I regularly forget it even had an adult MC lol

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
What is the difference between Gojo x Geto and Geto x Gojo?

Also am I blind or are they not shipping Nobara and Maki? Their interactions are straight up ship fodder, weird.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally I like to have at least 100 chapters built up. If people are still singing its praises at that point, then I truly know it's worth checking out while still having a good amount to binge.

Though that's with regular weekly series. For something bi-weekly though, I'd not as fussy about it since it'd take much longer to get that far lol, it's just a matter of when I feel like it

I have 0 expectations about that, to the point that I regularly forget it even had an adult MC lol
you could get away with waiting on Undead imo, although I'm not really sure how long it will run for because it kinda feels like the current arc is the last major arc before the final arc? Although we are still probably less than halfway through the current arc. At this point though I don't think the quality will skyrocket or lessen. it's been pretty consistently wacky throughout the whole series so if you like the beginning you'll probably like where it is currently imo.

the real answer is to read Mashle though

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Most mangaka should take breaks

Hell they should do what they did with Oda and force him to take breaks (i know they only did it because Oda is their cash cow and they don't want to him to be too injured or burned-out and is likely totally cynical and pragmatic move)

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Gege taking his Togashi inspiration a bit to serious lol

Joke aside let the man rest and then make a comeback stronger.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
"Indefinite hiatus" scares me. Please don't let this be one of those manga that never finishes. At least tell me Kugisaki's fate. I don't wanna spend all this time wondering lol.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
"Indefinite hiatus" scares me. Please don't let this be one of those manga that never finishes. At least tell me Kugisaki's fate. I don't wanna spend all this time wondering lol.
seems like Gege really wants to finish JJK, esp since it seems that JUMP is forcing him to take a break rather than him wanting to

I feel like he will resume the story once he gets the R&R that he needs, assuming he doesn't develop any chronic issues (which is all the more reason he should rest as much as he needs to!)

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The most stupid thing about that list is the people defending it like to claim everyone who is grossed out about it is hypocritical for having StopAsianHate in their bio as if both are comparable

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The most stupid thing about that list is the people defending it like to claim everyone who is grossed out about it is hypocritical for having StopAsianHate in their bio as if both are comparable
If the grossed out comments were specifically saying that something is wrong with the Japanese fans in particular, then I get it, if not, then yeah, those defensive comments are hella dumb.

I am pretty sure there will be similarly weird ships in there in there if you scan the Western fanbase.

Horrible ships are an international phenomenon

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
"You see, Naoya got stabbed in the back by a woman and died when he himself previously said that any woman who couldn't walk three steps behind a man should get stabbed in the back and die."

Just a little on the nose there, Gege.

Well, after only around 10 chapters, bye Zenin Clan, I guess (assuming Naoya doesn't survive that).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"You see, Naoya got stabbed in the back by a woman and died when he himself previously said that any woman who couldn't walk three steps behind a man should get stabbed in the back and die."

Just a little on the nose there, Gege.

Well, after only around 10 chapters, bye Zenin Clan, I guess (assuming Naoya doesn't survive that).
If he did die from that, I wonder what the chances are of the "you gotta kill a Sorcerer with cursed energy or they might come back as curses" finally coming into play.

There were only a few pages of raws so I don't have the full context, but it did seem like a plain kitchen knife.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
If he did die from that, I wonder what the chances are of the "you gotta kill a Sorcerer with cursed energy or they might come back as curses" finally coming into play.

There were only a few pages of raws so I don't have the full context, but it did seem like a plain kitchen knife.
Yeah, that'd be an interesting direction to go.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Gege. This is truly a back breaking industry. I'm the same age and I feel rundown most days and I don't have the immense pressure he has. Can't imagine what he's feeling. Let him rest as long as he needs. We can wait.