• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, but Special Grade is a broad, broad category, and Toji fucked up everybody less powerful than Full Power Gojo. We don't know if Maki is all the way there, but she's undeniably going to be moving towards the very high end of that range, and all due respect to Naoya... which is not much... I don't think he has what it takes to hang out up there.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Maki is so busted at this point she'll make most look like fodder. At least Naoya got that fight against Choso to show what he's capable of.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
TBH I'm loving the pacing. Hit the beats, don't let anything drag. I would've maybe had a full extra chapter worth of pages in the last 4-5, maybe? But I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Speaking generally, I think buildup is kind of overrated. If a moment sells itself, it sells itself. No need to drag it out. More complex stories can require more groundwork being laid, but this is... not super complex, lol. It's the Maki Revenge Hour. I'm expecting the Culling Game to be more complex, given how much time got spent on rules and prep for it, but this arc is more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" thing.

Yeah, but Special Grade is a broad, broad category, and Toji fucked up everybody less powerful than Full Power Gojo. We don't know if Maki is all the way there, but she's undeniably going to be moving towards the very high end of that range, and all due respect to Naoya... which is not much... I don't think he has what it takes to hang out up there.
None of the zenin are Special grade

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking generally, I think buildup is kind of overrated. If a moment sells itself, it sells itself. No need to drag it out. More complex stories can require more groundwork being laid, but this is... not super complex, lol. It's the Maki Revenge Hour. I'm expecting the Culling Game to be more complex, given how much time got spent on rules and prep for it, but this arc is more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" thing.
My feelings exactly. People prematurely assumed because of the positions these dudes held that these guys have a future, without much material to actually back up such a future.The themes that the series is championing is dismantling the establishment because they are fucked. All of them have been shown to be self-centered assholes ignoring the global threat, with or without Geto doing a fortnite, these guys would be making the world a worse place because they were free to do as they please without Gojo around.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
There were a few weird translation hiccups, but I thought that they were supposed to be Special?

If they're just grade 1 then yeah they fucked
It's a weird thing they're apparently just grade 1 but special grade 1 (or Supreme or whatever depending on translation) is to show them being certified without actually going to jujutsu tech

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
holy crap what a great chapter, though the scribble art was horrible.

I already know this chapter animated will look amazing

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
They're Grade 1 not Special Grade
Special Grade 1 just means that They're not Jujutsu tech but are certified

But regardless sure
I'm aware of their rank.

My point was that they share it. If Grade 1 includes "jobbers" with non-jobbers, that's a pretty big flaw with the system.

Ogi/Jinichi getting killed by broken Maki doesn't make them jobbers.

Though given the (lack of) panel time they got, I can see why one would think that.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
To repeat something I've said within the spoiler tags:

Seriously, could anyone have expected that THIS where Maki's story with the Zenin clan would end up back when it got established in the Goodwill Event?

Back then people could have expected one of the two
  • Maki proves herself and becomes clan head
  • Maki gets sidelined and looks on from the sidelines as Megumi fixes her clan for her.

Was, "Kill Bill Itachi Massacre" on anybody's bingo card? Looking back at the Goodwill Event and lighthearted baseball episodes, it is kinda crazy to see the places the manga has gone, as well as the change in tone.

They're Grade 1 not Special Grade
Special Grade 1 just means that They're not Jujutsu tech but are certified

But regardless sure
The nomenclature sure is confusing.

The translation should've used a different word instead of special, in order to avoid the confusion with the actual Special Grades.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
holy crap what a great chapter, though the scribble art was horrible.

I already know this chapter animated will look amazing
Oh man, I wasn't even thinking about this. We're in for a treat in, like, 2024.

The translation should've used a different word instead of special, in order to avoid the confusion with the actual Special Grades.

I think they got translated as Supreme Grade 1 first, but that also sort of sucks. Associate, Certified, Effective, that kind of word would work better.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There were a few weird translation hiccups, but I thought that they were supposed to be Special?

If they're just grade 1 then yeah they fucked
Afaik, the only Special Grades are as follows:

• Gojo
  • Geto (when he was still a sorcerer)
  • Yuki
  • Yuta
People who can be argued to be Special Grade tier, but aren't certified as such

• Rogue Geto/Kenjaku (duh)
  • Hakari (heavily implied to be that strong)
  • Toji
  • Maki after ch.149
I laughed at Ranta near the end. Poor dude.
At least the kid wasn't conscious long enough to see who emerged from the dust.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The preview says

Maki moves to stop the culling game so either Naoya dies or somehow pisses off.

They're surprisingly correct for JJK all the time.
That's what I laughed at, he died thinking Jinichi killed her. I'm horrible.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
At least he died happy feeling like he did shit
When will anime/manga characters learn not to assume they beat someone with an attack that created a lot of dust?

When someone says "did we get them?", that is usually the cue for them either getting fucked immediately or shitting their pants as the dust clears and they see that no, they didn't get them.

Ranta was smart to die before he found out.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Mai's last words have become a curse for Maki, I'm not sure she wanted to slaughter everyone based on her initial reactiom, but Mai's words triggered her to do so

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Mai's last words have become a curse for Maki, I'm not sure she wanted to slaughter everyone based on her initial reactiom, but Mai's words triggered her to do so
This feels like the most direct example of the dying words = curse dynamic we've gotten thus far. Though I do wonder how much is supernatural compulsion and how much is just pure rage.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Afaik, the only Special Grades are as follows:

• Gojo
  • Geto (when he was still a sorcerer)
  • Yuki
  • Yuta
People who can be argued to be Special Grade tier, but aren't certified as such

• Rogue Geto/Kenjaku (duh)
  • Hakari (heavily implied to be that strong)
  • Toji
  • Maki after ch.149

Todo, Yuji, and Megumi were also implied by Gojo to be capable of breaking the special grade barrier

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The team Jinchi was leading were made up of at least semi grade one

But the three big zenin Naoya, Ogi and Jinchin are special grade 1
If I had to bet on who the semi was, it would be Ranta.

His technique seems like something that could restrain strong curses, but would need someone else to capitalize. Also, not impossible for there to be more members who weren't present.

Todo, Yuji, and Megumi were also implied by Gojo to be capable of breaking the special grade barrier
Nobara's gonna come back and get boosted up together with her boys, believe.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to bet on who the semi was, it would be Ranta.

His technique seems like something that could restrain strong curses, but would need someone else to capitalize. Also, not impossible for there to be more members who weren't present.
It would be weird and funny if Hei is just all the decent zenin all what 4-5 of them

But yeah probably

What the fuck do the zenin do all day if they have ninja regiments and a whole squad made of grade 1s

Do they do missions or sit around being assholes

The big three don't seem to do much it seems all jujutsu tech

Also why do some big three sorcerers go to school and some don't

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird and funny if Hei is just all the decent zenin all what 4-5 of them

But yeah probably

What the fuck do the zenin do all day if they have ninja regiments and a whole squad made of grade 1s

Do they do missions or sit around being assholes

The big three don't seem to do much it seems all jujutsu tech

Also why do some big three sorcerers go to school and some don't

Like people in power in the real world those in power in the Jujutsu world simply use their accrued power to maintain their own positions and enforce the status quo while doing little for the world at large unless they got some kind of direct benefit for it. Naobita didn't show up at Shibuya because he wanted to save lives or anything so noble.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The main team has some absolute monsters on it now that Maki has become a god of destruction and we haven't even met the much hyped Hakari. All this and Gojo isn't even in the picture which makes the line up of heavy hitters even crazier. Which of course probably means Gege is giving Kenjaku some real monsters to even things out, either ancient curses or really dangerous cursed users. Or perhaps Sukuna becomes a more active participant and things get really fucked up.

Either way I'm expecting Nobara to come back swinging a sledge hammer.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Well it finally happened...

Still waiting on Jennifer Lawrence's reaction to her pivotal role in the story.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there were Three members ofKamo family lol
And Gojo clan is apparently just Gojo not including whatever servants he probably has

You know what I mean lol also just two.
So Gojo clan would be irrelevant that can't be right, how this supossed rivalry with Zenin works then in times where there's no special born Gojo?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I mean lol also just two.
So Gojo clan would be irrelevant that can't be right, how this supossed rivalry with Zenin works then in times where there's no special born Gojo?
Kenjaku technically counts lol

Idk Nanami fanboy said Gojo clan is a one man team ( i have to assume that's not counting like servants and other non jujutsu sorcerer who probably have curse power)

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kenjaku technically counts lol

Idk Nanami fanboy said Gojo clan is a one man team ( i have to assume that's not counting like servants and other non jujutsu sorcerer who probably have curse power)

Nah since he no longer in Kamo body.

Then it's weird, just a couple chapters ago they were talking how Megumi had backing within Zenin clan because of the chance to repair relations with the Gojo clan. With Gojo sealed why would they care in that case.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was never sure if the Gojo clan thing was a colorful bit of exaggeration or literal. Like, Gojo came from somewhere, he's got parents and stuff, presumably there are other Gojo-clan sorcerers. It's just that compared to Gojo they don't really matter.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I was never sure if the Gojo clan thing was a colorful bit of exaggeration or literal. Like, Gojo came from somewhere, he's got parents and stuff, presumably there are other Gojo-clan sorcerers. It's just that compared to Gojo they don't really matter.

I mean compared to him 99% of the people are irrelevant, there could be a Jogo lvl guy in that clan and still won't matter lol

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I might have exaggerated with the "jobbing" and yes, Choso is formidable, but that showing seriously doesn't give me the impression that Maki wouldn't be able to fold him as she is right now.

I think both Ogi and the entire Hei squad could've done pretty well against Choso too, yet Maki ran through them wet tissue paper.

Ogi said that in terms of cursed technique, Naobito never surpassed him and that the only reason he wasn't head of the clan was because of Maki and Mai.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Zen'ins were a clan that placed strength at the top of the food chain. If it were, Toji would have been the head of the Zen'in clan during his lifetime without a doubt.

I do think that Maki now has the same capabilities as Toji, but she probably has room to grow to seeing as how she got her gift after sustaining heavy injuries and hadn't had time to recover yet.

On another note - Choso doesn't get enough credit for his tactical abilities. When he beat Yuji he ultimately did so by outsmarting him whilst keeping certain things about his abilities to himself. And he ultimately outsmarted Naoya too. This was something Naobito wouldn't have suffered from since it was said he was the highest rated tactician the Zen'ins ever had, and it was his combination of his tactical skills along with his cursed ability that earned him the title of the fastest sorcerer alive.

If Naoya beats or kills Maki, there are gonna need some back story to properly sell that, cause outside of Maki's injuries I wouldn't be able to buy it. Heck, she brute force beat a cursed technique that locks her in place if the person looks at her this week.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So the chapter trended in the US, didn't it?

h4bgcf8sna271.jpg

Can't wait for 2024 when anime gets there and we see random ERA threads espousing Maki Supremacy in the off-topic.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think Naoya will survive. Wiping out the entire Zenin would be weird, and he is the only 'bad' one left.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Naobito is still an asshole but how is he the most reasonable Zenin
Dude at the very least seemed more pragmatic than the rest of his family he forced Mai to be a sorcerer and stopped maki promotion
But he also saves her life in Shibuya and cooperate with her and Toji against Dagon
Even promoted Megumi over his own son

Hell the only reason Zenin clan is dead now because they refuse to listen to his will lol
Probably learned his lesson from Toji

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever season 3 of JJK comes out I'm expecting the Maki rampage to be one of those events where the animators and staff take some creative liberties and burn though their budget at record speeds. Just the scene where she's taking out the powerless jobbers squad couple be extended to show her killing everyone in elaborate detail. If they want to keep the Kill Bill influences going strong make it cut to black and white just as the action starts getting gory and brutal.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever season 3 of JJK comes out I'm expecting the Maki rampage to be one of those events where the animators and staff take some creative liberties and burn though their budget at record speeds. Just the scene where she's taking out the powerless jobbers squad couple be extended to show her killing everyone in elaborate detail. If they want to keep the Kill Bill influences going strong make it cut to black and white just as the action starts getting gory and brutal.
Animators better pray season 3 doesn't have more ridiculous fight scenes

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

This is from the popularity poll options, as far as I understand.

Hakari keeps getting hyped up. Secret weapon? Even stronger than Yuta, at least under certain conditions?

Also here is the twitter thread of a really nice fancomic about Maki's early days in Jujutsu Tech. Translated with the author's permission.

Naobito is still an asshole but how is he the most reasonable Zenin
Dude at the very least seemed more pragmatic than the rest of his family he forced Mai to be a sorcerer and stopped maki promotion
But he also saves her life in Shibuya and cooperate with her and Toji against Dagon
Even promoted Megumi over his own son

Hell the only reason Zenin clan is dead now because they refuse to listen to his will lol
Probably learned his lesson from Toji
Seeing how Ogi's glorious plan resulted in the furious massacre of the clan, I guess children aren't the only reason Naobito was chosen over him after all...

Naobito's probably cussing his dumb brother out in hell right now.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been wondering if Mappa would attempt to make some OVAs for JJK perhaps detailing some more slice of life stuff for the main trio and giving some attention to the more neglected side characters. I think there are some light novels or something out there for the series already, correct? Those could be fodder for adaptations outside the main series, then again maybe volume 0 getting a movie squashes that kind of stuff for the time being.