• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really hard time following the plot since Okkotsu 'saved' Itadori, and then met up with Megumi to prepare for the culling game.

I can't keep track of all these Zen'in family members or what's going on, other than they are upset Megumi was named head of the clan. But it seems like everyone wants to kill Maki for some reason? I can't keep track of what the relationships between the different Zen'in members are. Can someone provide a brief summary of the situation? I guess I just expected the story to go to the culling game next and now I'm not sure what's going on.
Maki went to the Zenins to collect their cursed tools for use in the Culling Game. Her father hid them because he doesn't like that Megumi was made the family head and also has an enormous amount of contempt for and resentment of his daughters because he's an asshole and so is the rest of the family. Maki and Megumi are both sort of outlaws because they're working to free Gojo, which the Jujutusu elders made illegal. Dear ol' dad took advantage of that to advance his agendas, namely, killing his daughters and stopping Megumi from taking control of the family. Maki killed him instead, and now the family is trying to kill her for both the aforementioned reasons and because she just killed a family bigwig.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Maki went to go get some weapons

The Zen'in clan took issue with that, as they hate her and hate the idea of Megumi being the new head. Her cousin in particular (who he's confronting at the end of this chapter) is very misogynistic towards her.

Her own father attempts to kill her and Mai.

Maki kills him instead, and is at the level of Toji now thanks to Mai's sacrifice.

Maki is now killing the entire Zen'in clan, or at least all of their fighters that are attacking her first. They're attacking her due to her killing Ougi, her father.

-----

In short, her clan sucks, and Maki is putting them all down.
Maki went to the Zenins to collect their cursed tools for use in the Culling Game. Her father hid them because he doesn't like that Megumi was made the family head and also has an enormous amount of contempt for and resentment of his daughters because he's an asshole and so is the rest of the family. Maki and Megumi are both sort of outlaws because they're working to free Gojo, which the Jujutusu elders made illegal. Dear ol' dad took advantage of that to advance his agendas, namely, killing his daughters and stopping Megumi from taking control of the family. Maki killed him instead, and now the family is trying to kill her for both the aforementioned reasons and because she just killed a family bigwig.

Thank you! These were helpful.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Naobito is litteraly a Saint when compared to all those fuckers is mind blowing.

Kill em all !
Yeah, recent chapters paint Naobito's character in a much better light especially when you remember he saved Maki's life in Shibuya. I'm guessing he just mellowed out with power and age and was just as bad as Naoya in his youth.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
He was introduced to show Maki's power. It's really that simple. It wouldn't be nearly as effective if it was a random character. We know that the dude was a beast in the clan, could've potentially been head, and he got curbstomped. I can't really see what's the issue here
That's my point. It wasn't as effective (for me) because he was hardly even a character, when he had the potential to be one. That's what happens when a character is given only a handful of scenes after their introduction and before their death.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Naoya even funnier is we already saw his cocky ass fight earlier, I wasn't impressed

convo

Oct 25, 2017
""the current Zenin clan exists because of master Toji's whim"

That's an interesting quote. I wonder if that's going to be expanded upon.

Also, It can't be a coincidence that Jinichi looks like Uvogin and his big move was a big bang impact-level punch.
Yeah if Toji could have wiped the floor with them all the way back then, i wonder what stopped him. Naobito didn't seem to be on that bad terms with him back then, also his marriage did mellow him out for a time. Perhaps they were beneath him and also he was kinda scared by baby Gojo back then so maybe his concerns lay beyond just hating his family. Maybe there were other people besides Naobito that would prove hard to fight in the Zenin clan, the family dynamics from back then aren't all clear yet.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Not so sure about this. They didn't seem to know how he died, only that Maki killed him. Could've been an eye witness and the details got lost in the shuffle, could be some kind of security alert that lacked detail.
If it was an eyewitness, instead of something automated, they would had witnessed Maki standing over Ougi's corpse and ran away without Maki killing them on the spot.

That is what I mean.

What makes Naoya even funnier is we already saw his cocky ass fight earlier, I wasn't impressed
No, seriously.

His entire squad got destroyed and this dude is strolling up to her cracking jokes. Either he has something up his sleeve or he's a fucking idiot.

He's like Gojo and Sukuna levels of arrogant. Except those two can back up their arrogance, while Naoya jobs to Choso.

Last edited:

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Somewhere in hell:

Naobito: "And this is why you weren't chosen to be clan head you dumb piece of shit."

The man came up with a plan once and it ended up dooming the entire clan.
In retrospect, Naobito probably agreed in slow reform for the Zenin clan. He challenged Maki rather than completely shoot her down and even signed a deal with Gojo to amend his will in the event that Gojo should be incapacitated to give up control of it all to Megumi.

Its hilarious seeing one of them say the only reason the Zenin clan is around is cause Toji didn't kill them originally. And they still talked of him as if he were a stain on the clan.

His entire squad got destroyed and this dude is strolling up to her cracking jokes. Either he has something up his sleeve or he's a fucking idiot.

He's like Gojo and Sukuna levels of arrogant. Except those two can back up their arrogance, while Naoya jobs to Choso.

Funny - I was thinking last night that one of these 2 has to die coming out of this fight next week, and unless Naoya has some trick up his sleeve, he is absolutely toast. To be fair, Choso's power level, like many others, varies wildly depending on both the environment and match-up he's facing.

I think we have often tended to look somewhat down on Choso due to almost losing to Yuji, getting beaten back at the height of Shibuya, and losing to Okkatsu, but in reality he has demonstrated his ability to adapt and overcome on numerous occasions.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So if waltzing in and slaughtering the Zenin clan was always the answer, Gojo is an idiot for not doing it earlier

From what we've been shown, they're a bunch of useless assholes who don't fucking do anything besides being horrible. Gojo had no excuse.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Gojo could kill anyone he didn't like if he really wanted to lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if waltzing in and slaughtering the Zenin clan was always the answer, Gojo is an idiot for not doing it earlier

From what we've been shown, they're a bunch of useless assholes who don't fucking do anything besides being horrible. Gojo had no excuse.

Gojo said he could easily kill everyone but that it wouldn't get him the kind of change he wanted.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

We don't really know if destroying the clan like this will have positive consequences in the short term or in the long run.

I'm not sure Maki knows or cares. She is running on pure vengeance and a dead girls last words that might as well have been "rip and tear until it is done"

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. It wasn't as effective (for me) because he was hardly even a character, when he had the potential to be one. That's what happens when a character is given only a handful of scenes after their introduction and before their death.
When this sort of thing happens in media, where there is little introduction, i can't quite see that point since it would have taken more time to convince me that he had some sort of potential. He's a clan head or something i guess, but did that fact alone make him out to be special? Perhaps by going by tropes and assuming that would hold here. If i know my chimera ant arc, then there were plenty of threats that could have been but got folded like a chair by stronger people. This was literally the first fight we got shown of him, i'd have needed something more before that to believe he wasn't gonna be fodder to be honest.
The clans naturally have some build up i can give you that, but as a wise man once said "jujutsu sorcerers are shit", so maybe our assumptions of these clans in the current era were a bit high.
Brain is doing the whole battle royale with a whole country and not just the clans because, whatever is out there in jujutsu society isn't worth a damn to him, the big shots and big curses he has unleashed himself. So in conclusion, i just think Jinichi was a jobber since i had no assumptions of his strength before this chapter tbh.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I mean Gojo could kill anyone he didn't like if he really wanted to lol
Gojo said he could easily kill everyone but that it wouldn't get him the kind of change he wanted.
I am sure Gojo will be on the same wavelength as Maki after he comes out of the box.

He was willing to tolerate them before, due to his considerations, but now the Jujutsu higher ups have pretty much declared war on him and his allies and have killed people he cares about, in addition to demonstrating their uselessness in the face of crisis.

The revolution that Gojo wanted is gonna be starting soon and it is the establishment itself that is forcing it along.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Gojo would have wanted to change the foundations by nurturing a generation of people with better ideals than the current status quo, also even if he did stomp all the clans, there would still be threats in the shadows that would have taken over in the place of the clans. Gojo wasn't omniscient of every threat of the universe, with preperations people could escape or have plans against him which clearly happened. I think his experience with Toji and Geto later on sorta humbled him that he just being by himself won't be enough to change the world.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, yeah. It's just that Maki is so busted at this point it skews everything.

Makes me wonder if the Culling Game will have any tension with Yuta/Maki/Hikari all competing.
With the shit that happened in Shibuya you could say i've tuned out whatever establishment powers exist in this world, because clearly no one was prepared enough. Naobito got got, the head of the Zenin, and Maki survived a similiar attack? That could have clued us in on something perhaps.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Gojo would have wanted to change the foundations by nurturing a generation of people with better ideals than the current status quo
Yep, but the situation is different.

The establishment has started or is about to start waging the war against the generation he and his colleagues have nurtured.

All while the said generation is trying to save Japan and the world from a Jujutsu apocalypse.

The revolution is gonna have to be violent, rather than a gradual replacement, and it will start without Gojo.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Now if we're actually talking about a character with actual screen time, Naoya got to fight some guys, has the powers of the former head and clearly talks a lot. He has to do something more if he's the last one standing with enough of a history we know of to make whatever comes next interesting. He can be the misogynist to the end and die, or worse get his ego shattered and mind broken. There's something to be done about him than just death.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The only fodderized Zenin I would have wanted to see more of was that Ranta kid.

Dude looked and even talked like some shonen protagonist. Like, I could imagine a dude that looks like him palling around with Tanjiro or something.

Was this kid just as rotten as other Zenin men? Would have liked to see a tiny flashback of him being a misogynist ass or something, just to see the juxtaposition with his shonen lead appearance.

But yeah, I'm perfectly OK with all of these guys getting offed for the sake of Maki Supremacy, Jinichi included.

That boy giving his life to give Jinichi a shot at her, only for Maki to stroll by him holding Jinichi's horrified severed head? That was some epic shit.

Edit: Now Naoya is a different matter. He has some gas in the tank as a villain and I think I'm gonna write out a post arguing why Gege should let him survive this.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo what is Megumi gonna inherited now??? Half a house that needs some major blood cleaning and a kit kat lol

Might as well start a new clan called Fushiguro because at this point this seems more dead then the uchiha.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Naoya seemed to have liked Toji, so he's less about the cursed technique part of supremacy but just a real woman hater. He might have something to say about Toji before his potential last moments. Dunno how much he got left to talk about unless next chapter is a flashback to Toji's time in the Zenin clan.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Me last week: man I'm disappointed with the execution of this arc it doesn't give sufficient time on the tragedy of an underused-

This week: YAS KWEEN SLAY

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I couldn't quite make it out, because it was on the pages with unfinished art, but did Maki slit/tear the throats of those two big-shot Zenins with her bare hands?

That is metal AF.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
All of these Zenin jobbers should have been doing stuff in Shibuya, at least to establish them in advance, further build towards this conflict, and show that they actually do stuff besides sitting on their asses and being jerks

With how sudden this all is, I just don't feel anything from all this. Which sucks, because Maki going full Toji SHOULD be pretty awesome

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I've felt like JJK has increasingly been turning into HxH since somewhere around the flashback arc (at times blatantly so), but now it's getting silly.

On a more serious note, I hope Gege can get some rest. Great chapter tho, if only for Maki making the Zen'in shit their pants.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
All of these Zenin jobbers should have been doing stuff in Shibuya, at least to establish them in advance, further build towards this conflict, and show that they actually do stuff besides sitting on their asses and being jerks

With how sudden this all is, I just don't feel anything from all this. Which sucks, because Maki going full Toji SHOULD be pretty awesome
Well the head of the clan was there and he died. Also people pointed out that the ninja guy who was about to interrogate Yaga with Yoshinobu was dressed like the Zenin goons this chapter, so some zenin guys are out and about. Now clan Gojo we know nothing much about besides the man himself, it seems only clan Kamo is doing alright right now.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
damn Maki is crazy powerful now. Wonder how she stacks up against Yuta at this point. Wonder if Naoya is about to die too or if he's strong enough to fight her.

also Jinichi really is an Uvogin homage lol, his cursed technique is just massive punches. Honestly this whole segment has felt very Hunter x Hunter and I'm here for it.

Sooo what is Megumi gonna inherited now??? Half a house that needs some major blood cleaning and a kit kat lol

Might as well start a new clan called Fushiguro because at this point this seems more dead then the uchiha.
Megumi never wanted to be part of the Zen'in so I doubt he cares tbh

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've said it before, but the good guy team is getting STACKED with top tiers.

Gege benched Yuki for the time being, but we still got Yuta, Maki is now a Toji-like beast and Hakari was heavily implied to be around this level. That is THREE special grade tier combatants to take active part in the Culling Game.

I wonder if Gege is planning to introduce a ton of new beastly threats if he is buffing the cast to this extent. Like, I know that they are gonna be in different thunderdomes, but still.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Naoya and Maki just aren't gonna fight. Naoya respected Toji's strength more than anyone else in the clan apparently and just saw his clan get slaughtered, we know Naoya's limits from his fight with Choso, therefore everyone knows how a fight would go down so why bother?

Ultimately every person that Maki killed so far was in self-defense, he's going to say something smug, talk about Toji, then bounce. Maybe Maki does plan on going full Itachi on the clan but Naoya's a speedster anyway soo

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
If it was an eyewitness, instead of something automated, they would had witnessed Maki standing over Ougi's corpse and ran away without Maki killing them on the spot.

That is what I mean.

No, seriously.

Tbh I wouldnt say Naoya jobbed to Choso

Naoya was beating on Choso for a while and lost because he assumed he knew the limits of blood manipulation and didn't know Choso was a curse-human hybrid.

the fight was not a stomp in Choso's favor, it was a pretty equal fight and if they were to fight again I don't think Naoya would be done in by the same attacks.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think Naoya and Maki just aren't gonna fight. Naoya respected Toji's strength more than anyone else in the clan apparently and just saw his clan get slaughtered, we know Naoya's limits from his fight with Choso, therefore everyone knows how a fight would go down so why bother?

Ultimately every person that Maki killed so far was in self-defense, he's going to say something smug, talk about Toji, then bounce.
Naoya's been abusing her and her sister her whole life, looking down on them, making creepy sexual comments, etc.

He's pretty much the personification of the abuse the sisters had to endure.

I can't imagine her letting him go, of all people.

The only way I can see her letting him live of her volition, is if she decides that humiliating him, maiming him and having him live with it is a punishment worse than death.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
People forget Choso is a special grade curse and was getting demolished by Naoya and Naoya only lost because he made an incorrect assumption about him

Naoya would still lose against Maki but he's not a jobber like his uncles

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
People forget Choso is a special grade curse and was getting demolished by Naoya and Naoya only lost because he made an incorrect assumption about him

Naoya would still lose against Maki but he's not a jobber like his uncles
Yeah Choso isn't a scrub by any means. Like Naoya let his overconfidence get the best of him so that he missed small details but from what we saw, the dude is good

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I might have exaggerated with the "jobbing" and yes, Choso is formidable, but that showing seriously doesn't give me the impression that Maki wouldn't be able to fold him as she is right now.

I think both Ogi and the entire Hei squad could've done pretty well against Choso too, yet Maki ran through them like wet tissue paper.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I'm loving the pacing. Hit the beats, don't let anything drag. I would've maybe had a full extra chapter worth of pages in the last 4-5, maybe? But I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Speaking generally, I think buildup is kind of overrated. If a moment sells itself, it sells itself. No need to drag it out. More complex stories can require more groundwork being laid, but this is... not super complex, lol. It's the Maki Revenge Hour. I'm expecting the Culling Game to be more complex, given how much time got spent on rules and prep for it, but this arc is more of a "sit back and enjoy the ride" thing.
I know Naoya has the projection technique, but all three are/were Special Grade 1.
Yeah, but Special Grade is a broad, broad category, and Toji fucked up everybody less powerful than Full Power Gojo. We don't know if Maki is all the way there, but she's undeniably going to be moving towards the very high end of that range, and all due respect to Naoya... which is not much... I don't think he has what it takes to hang out up there.