• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Chapter 139: Hunter

- ...x Hunter?
- It looks like Naoya has the same super speed technique as Nabito.
- Choso/Yuji dynamic is still a lot of fun.
- I agree that Choso's specific wording – "your father had stitches on his forehead, didn't he?" seems too deliberate to not be a hint.
- I read a twitter comment saying Naoya looks like an evil version of Kita from Haikyuu, and I cannot unsee.
- Yuta/Yuji already? Damn.

Overall, it was a fun set up chapter. My own guess for next week is that, despite what he told the elders, Yuta has no intention of killing Yuji, or at the very least wants to get his side of the story first.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I love how much they're building up Yuta. Having 3 already powerful people freeze in their tracks just because he shows up nearby, and having Yuji compare him to the feeling of Gojo being around, but creepier. I'm really excited to see what's happened to him in the past year to make him this powerful, even without Rika.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
-Really dig the opening sequence. Sets the atmosphere of current state tokyo and the use of sounds effects flows well with the action.
-Been half joking about punished Yuta, but may be the case. The creepy line might be referring to Rika but guess we should find out soon. Either way being set up as a power house.
- I read a twitter comment saying Naoya looks like an evil version of Kita from Haikyuu, and I cannot unsee.
noooo

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

We don't know what's going on with Rika since the prequel had her released from the curse, what's really going on right now or if it's a retcon we don't know yet.
Yeah, it's kinda up in the air. Either it's a retcon and he still has Rika, or he's just learned how to channel his powerful innate cursed energy that allowed him to curse Rika in the first place. I wonder if he'll still have the copy powers he showed in the prequel, or if that was just connected to Rika.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hear some people thinking the manga is gonna end soon, but does it really feel like that?
Doesn't feel close to that imo. I think it's easy to go "oh man is this ending soon" whenever there's important stuff happening but I've felt like the past few chapters expanded the scope if anything.

We're in part 2 of 3 right now according to the author
Didn't the author say Shibuya was the first of 3 major arcs? That would make this part 1 of 3.
Source for this?
Either way being set up as a power house.
The fact that Yuki confused his energy with Gojo's for a sec lol. Yuta is on another level now.

Hakari where are you????

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We don't know what's going on with Rika since the prequel had her released from the curse, what's really going on right now or if it's a retcon we don't know yet.
Yeah, it's kinda up in the air. Either it's a retcon and he still has Rika, or he's just learned how to channel his powerful innate cursed energy that allowed him to curse Rika in the first place. I wonder if he'll still have the copy powers he showed in the prequel, or if that was just connected to Rika.
I mean, he literally called out Rika by name. What's in the air about that?

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yuta using other cursed spirits in her place for example or a pure mastery over cursed energy with him using her name out of habit. An explanation of her return is still needed if it's really her.
I'm not sure Yuta would be the type to call other cursed spirit the name of a girl he absolutely loved. But sure, an explanation would be fine
In the Japanese version, the name of the "Rika" that Yuta spoke to in his reintroduction was written differently than the "Rika" from Volume 0. Like, one was kanji and the other katakana I think, implying it's not exactly the same being.

Edit

This however is very interesting. Seems something was lost in translation

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Before the series blew up in popularity, had there been any indication of the overall length being predetermined - like a Breaking Bad or Mr. Robot type of scenario vs. a milk it until it fails type of manga? I ask because I just got through reading the latest arc and it seems that the power creep has been astronomical for Yuji to the point of it being a little absurd. He's already at over 10 fingers, and was able to keep trucking through like a hundred fights in the Shibuya arc and still he was the one who left unscathed (minus that face injury) while everyone else was either maimed or killed. We're not even 150 chapters in and it seems like he's on his own middle-grade that's somewhere between the rest of the cast and the special grades like Gojo and Yuta. I don't know how I feel about it because while I like him, I also like the rest of the cast and I'm already getting hints of a Naruto-like situation where there's no real point to 95% of the current supporting characters since he can just tank everything himself, so new characters are going to have to be constantly rotated in to test him.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Before the series blew up in popularity, had there been any indication of the overall length being predetermined - like a Breaking Bad or Mr. Robot type of scenario vs. a milk it until it fails type of manga? I ask because I just got through reading the latest arc and it seems that the power creep has been astronomical for Yuji to the point of it being a little absurd. He's already at over 10 fingers, and was able to keep trucking through like a hundred fights in the Shibuya arc and still he was the one who left unscathed (minus that face injury) while everyone else was either maimed or killed. We're not even 150 chapters in and it seems like he's on his own middle-grade that's somewhere between the rest of the cast and the special grades like Gojo and Yuta. I don't know how I feel about it because while I like him, I also like the rest of the cast and I'm already getting hints of a Naruto-like situation where there's no real point to 95% of the current supporting characters since he can just tank everything himself, so new characters are going to have to be constantly rotated in to test him.
I don't know but I have not gotten the sense of the series being stretched out due to increasing popularity. Shibuya itself never even felt close to like a conclusion due to lacking several aspects that were set up, and are now becoming part of the series.

Hints at how strong characters like Megumi and Maki could become make me hopeful Itadori won't just eclipse everyone to the point of no one being able to contribute.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
he hasn't really been challenged yet by a technique user though, so there is room to grow.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Iirc Itadori physical prowess were always above normal. In the first chapters he's able to fight a little with demons without much training. He's evolving quickly but is he in his own class tho ?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yuji spends most of the series taking Ls. He barely "wins" without incredible amounts of help. He lost to that Special Grade in the first few chapters, he couldn't beat Mahito by himself the first time, couldn't beat Todo, him and Todo couldn't beat Hanami, loses to Choso...: he doesn't have too many wins under his belt despite his strength.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Chapter 139

I expect that Yuji's father/creator really is Kamo or at least whoever Brain's host was before Geto. Something about Choso's words suggests to me that at least that's not bullshit.
Chapter 139: Hunter

- ...x Hunter?
- It looks like Naoya has the same super speed technique as Nabito.
- Choso/Yuji dynamic is still a lot of fun.
- I agree that Choso's specific wording – "your father had stitches on his forehead, didn't he?" seems too deliberate to not be a hint.
- Yuta/Yuji already? Damn.

Overall, it was a fun set up chapter. My own guess for next week is that, despite what he told the elders, Yuta has no intention of killing Yuji, or at the very least wants to get his side of the story first.

Choso believes Yuji is his brother so obviously they have the same father.

Choso is like a few days old he couldnt know anything about Yujis actual history.
I think its just Yujis jutsu causing him to make these assumptions.

While I dont doubt it could be a cool twist to say Yujis actual father was taken over by Brain, i dont think thats the case.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

Yuji was healed during Shibuya by the person who was with Todo, and I think it was implied Sukuna healed at least the fatal wounds he received during the Choso fight when he took control. Plus, he didn't seem like he was stronger than Todo during the Mahito fight. He was saved by the fact that Mahito didn't want to use his domain/idle transfiguration on him directly due to Sukuna.

I agree Yuji growth is happening a little quickly, but I don't think anything we've seen puts him beyond everyone else.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
From 2019:

l8MDxXN.png

A couple days after the anime started:

Oct 25, 2017
The audience writing off Choso as just being affected like Todo, only to turn out yeah Yuji actually just is related to him would be an incredible swerve.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I recalled an interview where Gege said that he knew how he wanted to end the story with Megumi, but not with Yuji. Not sure where I read that.

Gojo made a big point about how the current generation of sorcerers are becoming stronger much faster/have much more potential than the older generations, connecting it with the increase in strength of curses. He also has his eye on a few people that he thinks will be able to surpass him. I'd like to believe this means that the whole cast will start getting some power increases as things go on so that they're not all just background fodder.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The audience writing off Choso as just being affected like Todo, only to turn out yeah Yuji actually just is related to him would be an incredible swerve.
Thing is, we know he got mindfucked. He had that dream sequence with him and his brothers having a picnic with Yuji, which DEFINITELY didn't happen. It'd be a hell of a coincidence.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it, really. I don't think Itadori managed to beat any major antagonist by himself. He got destroyed by Choso, got help from Nobara against Mahito, got wrecked, got healed, and without Todo he would have been toasted. For someone who is the vessel of Sukuna, I really don't such power creep.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason he won against Mahito was Nobara accidentally helped by destroying his clone and making Mahito weaker and Todo making the greatest fake out in the manga so he can land a hit

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gojo also mentioned Yuji as someone who will only grow stronger and has the potential to be a new level.

No power creep

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Choso believes Yuji is his brother so obviously they have the same father.

Choso is like a few days old he couldnt know anything about Yujis actual history.
I think its just Yujis jutsu causing him to make these assumptions.

While I dont doubt it could be a cool twist to say Yujis actual father was taken over by Brain, i dont think thats the case.

I don't think Choso has any special insight. But the exact wording he used was interesting because he specified the Brain as the thing that connected them. Choso and the other death paintings have 3 parents - their mother, a cursed spirit, and the Brain as Noritoshi Kamo, who experimented and mixed his blood in with theirs.

Brain already admitted to messing with people, turning them into vessels, so I think Choso will end up being indirectly right: they're "brothers" in the sense Brain had something to do with creating them, even if they're not directly biologically related.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Brain did say that his plans resulted in a ton of evil Yujis, so it could be that he does have some direct insight or involvement in whatever made Yuji... the way he is.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Also always a tell when an anime protag's parents are mysteriously not disclosed yet.

Plus we know Gege plans on bringing in Yuji's mom.

Although there's also the theory Yuji's mom is Yuki, who made her first non-flashback appearance in the manga a few weeks after this interview.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Although there's also the theory Yuji's mom is Yuki, who made her first non-flashback appearance in the manga a few weeks after this interview.

I was also full on the Yuki is Yuji's mom train but their interaction was so cold that I dropped it for now

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

This kinda feels like it kills the idea that Choso is on to anything - surely if Brain was Yuji's dad, there wouldn't still be real uncertainty about bringing that up.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I love how much they're building up Yuta. Having 3 already powerful people freeze in their tracks just because he shows up nearby, and having Yuji compare him to the feeling of Gojo being around, but creepier. I'm really excited to see what's happened to him in the past year to make him this powerful, even without Rika.
Yeah agreed

Oct 25, 2017
I think the way that Gege has handled Gojo in the series is perhaps the best I've seen any Shonen aside from maybe Demon Slayer handle a character so broken and OP that they could have been the main character. The way the world reacts to Gojo is what I wished we saw more of in stuff like Dragon Ball.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you manga readers, in the anime they keep having these small flashback to some event that happened but we didn't see. Is that from volume 0?