• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Volume 0 releases next month (will also be available on the app/browser)
1974720144.jpg
It's about time.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some togashi deep cuts.

I think the character right before the Gojo flashback gets directly compared to a Yyh character

A lot of good todo faces in the series haha

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Some people were wondering about the translator change?

Well, turns out, they had a pretty good reason to 86 the old guy:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
People always thought he was a little strange, but nothing to that extent. Blegh.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Another packed chapter/long wait coming
-Not sure I fully understand maximums. Appears that Jogo's meteor was one. Is the geto uzamaki flashback panel from the prequel? Looks spooky.
-If technique can be extracted going to assume that Geto's body now has mahito's curse technique.
-Glad Miwa wasn't killed off. Was worried there. Wild going at fake geto.
-Mai redeemed! Fake Geto acknowledges guns as viable to fight sorcerers with.
-Nice that we get the proper reveal that not geto is noritoshi kamo (also kyoto school kamo's "me?" haha). Interesting twist is that kamo had the stitches too, so real identity probably goes even further back.
-Poor Choso! Itadori's memory shenanigans run deep.
-Urame! Going to get more info on them, and maybe Sukuna's motivations? Seem to be working with kamo for now anyways.

It's almost too bad the kyoto group ran so soon. Seemed like Fake Geto/Kamo was ready to shed some light on things.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes Choso joins the side cast permanently

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay can someone remind me why Choso is so effed up mentally? I guess I forgot what happened after his fight with Yuji.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Okay can someone remind me why Choso is so effed up mentally? I guess I forgot what happened after his fight with Yuji.
Choso kicked Yuji ass and before landing the final blow as revenge for killing his brothers he suddenly had memories of Yuji being another brother of his and the memory freaked him out because it means he almost killed his brother

Reminder its impossible since choso and his brothers were made centuries ago

Also same thing happened with Todo during a fight he suddenly had memories of Yuji being his best and closest friends even Though Yuji never met him before initially we thought it was a joke

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Geez, Itadori's memory fuckery just ridiculous. I really want to know how it works and what's required to make it activate

Good to see the other Kyoto students in action again. I figure that they'll get more screentime after this arc, since if Gojo isn't freed, hoo boy are they gonna be needed.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Choso kicked Yuji ass and before landing the final blow as revenge for killing his brothers he suddenly had memories of Yuji being another brother of his and the memory freaked him out because it means he almost killed his brother

Reminder its impossible since choso and his brothers were made centuries ago

Also same thing happened with Todo during a fight he suddenly had memories of Yuji being his best and closest friends even Though Yuji never met him before initially we thought it was a joke
Ah, thanks. I did remember Choso just walking off but I forgot why. And I reread Goodwill recently so I remember that as well. I didn't connect the dots between the two events until just now, but that's a very interesting discovery there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the reaction to finding out the real identity of Getwo. There's a lot of value in the historical Big Bad character, whether or not they show up in the present. In the same way as Gojo, big figures who warped the setting around them are just nifty. Reminds me a little of Heinrich Kemmler from the Dresden Files, who is extremely dead by the time of the books, but whose atrocities are still felt.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that we finally have a name for fake Geto, but it doesn't really help clarify discussion because we two named noritoshi kamo in the scene.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
The thing is "evil Kamo" is not even the real villain since the dude took over his body in the past. At least that is what I took from it

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Could be that he always had those marks. Could be that he doesn't even have a name that matters, so Kamo is as good as any.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, so similar spiral but with a different curse.

One in this chapter might be mahito? Creepy!
And I guess him reading more Ito is starting to show.

6426-BEC1-0-E64-4266-96-EC-AD423-F9-EB9-DB.jpg

What are some of the titles you're currently reading?

I'm trying to find out more about the books Togashi (YYH) used as inspiration for his work. I've heard that he loves Junji Ito's manga. I had previously only read his well-known titles, but I'm currently reading more of his various published works.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently this chapter added more fuel to the fire on theories on wtf is going on with the nine cursed wombs and Not-Geto. Kinda wild if true considering all of the set up you can see in hindsight.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still say Kamo really is Kamo because otherwise... what's the point? Maybe there was somebody else in the body initially, but it'd be dumb to repeat the trope. The mind we're dealing with is probably the mind that did the stuff that earned Kamo his rep. Maybe that's the original Kamo, maybe it's somebody else that assumed the identity, but I figure it's still "the most evil sorcerer in history," and I'd wager on that person's real name being Kamo.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
We did get a bit of insight into Kyoto Noritoshi Kamo's dad during the goodwill arc and it seemed pretty clear that he sucks! Noritoshi was son of mistress, forced into being heir because he got the technique, and his mother was tormented and eventually sent away.

So I'm going to go with he named him after the most evil sorcerer because he is a dick.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Onizuka reference?

j71Ua6P.png

--
Storing energy in the left arm.
gDM2RPg.png

--
Goodwill event has some great fights. I haven't been watching the anime too much, but hopefully Mappa can stay consistent.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I recently caught up and may have miss some things, who is Kamo? What chapters was all this foreshadowed and explained?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Reread Vol. 0, now with the official translation.

AMZBqSU.png

Definitely recommended to see what the series' precursor was like, but also because it works perfectly well as a prequel and gives some great scenes to Toge and Maki. Panda has a little, but well, he can speak for himself:

ZHVmFm1.png

And something to keep in mind whenever Toge speaks (assuming Gege is still following this):

QgWA44q.png

And design-wise, you can tell that Yuta and Toge were prototypes for certain other characters. :P Gege mentioned that he changed Toge's hair in the main series for that very reason.

qpEqQpr.png

Yuta is a great character, and I hope he makes his way into the main series. And of course Geto is made to be an entertaining antagonist in only half a volume.

In the postscript, Gege says that he had no intention to get Kaisen serialized in WSJ, but the four chapters were so well received and it was a lot more convenient to have something already realized become a serialization. And as he's said elsewhere:

8b1FCMs.png

Oh, and Chase, I guess the Japanese was the same here:
u2sZGzz.png

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
So both Geto and jogo's maximums have maximum in the name, but Choso's brother's technique, "supreme rot" did not. Though "supreme" might be close enough.

Looking forward to reading volume 0. Only gone through a summary before. Is fun to see those design swaps.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this one feels like kind of a reach to me, lol.

BTW, how good was that chapter? The JJK one. Loved the texts between Nobara and Yuji especially, and him immediately recognizing the girl was very sweet. Not in the "epic" sense, just... Yuji's a good dude.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
On the top right nobara panel to the left of her face it makes the direct comparison.

Yeah, that was a good chapter. Been a minute since we could have a nice / pleasant one off chapter haha.
Ohhhh, I thought it was another of the visual references, not a... literal reference. Lol. Missed that!

And yeah, the manga's spent... nearly half the run now in Shibuya.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Heh, yeah. He kinda snuck that one in there, especially with it being somewhat obscure for the series.

Now for Gojo's Digimon logic.

5wTsZtY.png

--

A friendly creature that wraps itself around a person's body.
rds98Qr.png

Last edited: