• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So what I'm seeing here is that this game is fantastic if you're down for more Yakuza shenanigans.

I'm in. More Yakuza is never a bad thing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if this is fully voiced?

I bounced off of Y0 because there is way too much unvoiced text to scan through in between the actual, incredibly well done, cutscenes

Only story is voiced. Side stuff, bar some of the girlfriend moments are voiced. Which I prefer. 6 had great side stories but had too few of them. Judgment works better because it has way more stuff to do. Just my opinion/

!!! i was ready for a shorter Yakuza-esque game.... my gaming time is way less then usual.... i'll still play it i can't get enough of that series !

Any comment on the difficulty ? I wasn't super impress by ex-hard on Y6 and KIwami 2 (compare to kiwami 1 felt perfect difficulty)
Not Kiwami difficulty I'm afraid. Too many people complain about it going by everywhere I read (which frustrates me as it actually made the game not pathetically easy like past games).
Its harder than 6 and Kiwami 2 for sure though. Bosses are actually pretty dangerous, even groups of enemies will fuck you up if your in a corner (I've gone from full to no health in seconds when getting ganged up.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://thisgengaming.com/2019/06/20/judgment-review-playstation-4/

8.5/10
Some of Judgment's detective gameplay isn't as good as it could be but they don't detract too much from an otherwise great game. The story writing and cast of characters is another strong showing from RGG studio and the combat system is as fun as ever. Kamurocho is also filled to the brim with fun side activities that kept me immersed in its world. Whether you a fan of the Yakuza franchise or jumping into this world for the very first time, Judgment shouldn't be missed.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Had this pre-ordered since last year, cant freaking wait.

Appreciate they put English audio in the game, easier to recommend to friends. I don't typically play games in anything but English but after playing a handful of Yakuza titles, the Japanese voice acting is top notch and it would feel weird not to play this as well in Japanese now.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Have any of the reviewers given this game its due praise for the excellent localization effort?

They essentially localized it twice. The English dub lines are totally different from the subtitles for the Japanese audio track.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this, but I'll wait until its like $20-30 in a few months. Just don't have the budget for it atm.
Glad it's getting solid reviews!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of unfortunate that the consensus from the reviews I've seen so far suggest Yagami is the weak link here. I do wonder if it's a voice acting issue, or if the character is just generally flat no matter what language you play in. I'm not expecting another Kiryu so I'm hoping his absence doesn't feel so noticeable to me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of unfortunate that the consensus from the reviews I've seen so far suggest Yagami is the weak link here. I do wonder if it's a voice acting issue, or if the character is just generally flat no matter what language you play in. I'm not expecting another Kiryu so I'm hoping his absence doesn't feel so noticeable to me.
I'd argue that point in the couple of reviews I've seen it mentioned is rubbish. Yagami is excellent in the game, especially late in the game. I genuinely have no idea where the reviewers are getting that opinion from.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Sorta self-promo, but over at GameXplain I gave the game a "Liked-A-Lot" score, the tick below their highest. I more or less agree with the general critique against the game, though I was more positive about it than some.

I held out hope through the entire game that Judgment would eventually take us to a new city, which didn't happen. You do get to go somewhere entirely new for the series, which I don't want to give any detail on as I personally refrained from talking about the plot elements that take you there to help keep the surprise of the story twists, but it's not somewhere you really experience in the same way as a city. That said, while I was disappointed about this, Judgment gives us the best Kamurocho that's ever existed in terms of its feeling as a place. A lot of the restaurants and stores have a minor NPC character who has a struggle you can help them with, and as you interact with them more you'll fill up a friendship gauge. Some of these people you'll see out and about on the town, too, which is awesome after so many games of never seeing named NPCs just doing their thing around the town. It's a small touch, but as you engage with it more and more it really helps you bond with the city. I don't ever want them to move back from this element as it really helped make up for being in Kamurocho again.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue that point in the couple of reviews I've seen it mentioned is rubbish. Yagami is excellent in the game, especially late in the game. I genuinely have no idea where the reviewers are getting that opinion from.
It's definitely not the VO. Greg Chun killed it as Yagami - the EN for Yagami is better than the JP, honestly.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
6 had a goodd story but its gameplay is kneecapped by being the first game in the new engine. So content was less and combat was simpler. Judgment solves both those problems easily while having a much better story on top of it. So yeah, its undoubtedly the best of the dragon engine games.

Can't say I'd agree with rating it below an 8 though, but that's my bias showing. I've already 100%ed the Japanese release and will do the same next week with the English release. Story is fantastic, combat feels much better than the last two games thanks to a more fleshed out fighting style (well, two technically but they are more similar than past style switches in 0/Ishin/Kenzan),lots of fantastic content, side stories and just a genuinely fun game all round.

How does this compare to 0?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare to 0?
Well, its hard to rank one over the other. But I'd say both are among the best the studio has released. This is definitely the best game using the new engine, no doubt about that. If you loved 0, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one loads as well. Only thing I might say people might like less or more is the combat depending on their opinions on 0s combat.

It's definitely not the VO. Greg Chun killed it as Yagami - the EN for Yagami is better than the JP, honestly.
Well, I can't agree with liking the English VO more than the Japanese one, but I do like how nice the English VO turned out in this game, nice to see the series really put an effort into it and I'd be happy to see them continue to include dual VO work for future games starting with Shin RGG.

30 of course. PS4 aint running games in the new engine at 60FPS. Best hope for PS5 patches/ports in the future if you want that. Or just wait for PC releases.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... I want to play y6 before this so I can finish the Yakuza story (finally). I guess I will hold off on buying this for now until its pc release.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I can't agree with liking the English VO more than the Japanese one, but I do like how nice the English VO turned out in this game, nice to see the series really put an effort into it and I'd be happy to see them continue to include dual VO work for future games starting with Shin RGG.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying all the EN VO is better than the JP (tho I did love it for the most part) - I'm just saying I like English Yagami better than Japanese Yagami. Kimutaku has never been the best actor to begin with, and his voice sounds the same in almost every scene in this game - it gets annoying fast.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews sound great. Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Going to be interesting to see if we get 60fps games as the standard from this studio on PS5.
Im hopeful they just improve the same engine we have now, which (specs willing) should give us 60FPS. Nagoshi actually talked about his interest in improving AI with next gen, so hopefully that means goons that are a little smarter in PS5 Yakuza games!

Just to be clear, I'm not saying all the EN VO is better than the JP (tho I did love it for the most part) - I'm just saying I like English Yagami better than Japanese Yagami. Kimutaku has never been the best actor to begin with, and his voice sounds the same in almost every scene in this game - it gets annoying fast.
Totally get where your coming from, I just prefer his Japanese VA myself :)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Seems most liked the English VA, really pleased with that

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be interesting to see if we get 60fps games as the standard from this studio on PS5.
Considering how this studio operates I have a feeling we will be getting PS4 Yakuza games for a long time so 60 FPS for PS5 doesn't seem too unlikely given the game will probably be cross gen and the console is supposedly getting a huge pump on the CPU front. I would have no issues with that at all. A dragon engine game running at 60 FPS sounds good to me.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate that physical is out later. I think I'm going to move my eb money that's down on it to a PSN card and pay the digital tax to play early.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If really feels like a ton of people are sleeping on this title or didn't even know about it. Strange.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of stuff went over my head in FotNS because I wasn't a fan of the series.

Also the side stories looked pretty tame/boring compared to actual Yakuza games.

FotNS also had the detriment of coming out like a month after K2, and I personally didn't have enough of a breather between the two. Doctor Ken mini game is one of my favorites in the series though lol.

After a few months of break though, I'm so ready to dive into Detective Yakuza

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of stuff went over my head in FotNS because I wasn't a fan of the series.

Also the side stories looked pretty tame/boring compared to actual Yakuza games.

I dropped the game after realized that i can't go and play these arcade games like the other yakuza style games. They make you doing long side quests to grind parts for each arcade cabinet lol. It is by far grindiest and most tedious ''Yakuza'' game and i feel like the 72 MC score was generous.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just placed my order, and going in basically 100% blind. New game from Yakuza team is a safe bet.