• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Metacritic: 80
Opencritic: 82

Judgment
Platform: PS4
Release date: June 21, 2019
judgment-normalhero-02-ps4-us-17apr2019

Review highlights:

PlayStation Universe - 90
A sizeably riotous spin-off to Sega's Yakuza franchise, Judgment combines the series penchant for balancing seriousness and absurdity with a hyper-engaging central protagonist whose deeply charismatic persona freshens the whole affair up massively. Judgment is a toweringly good offering then, and one that we hope leads to its own series with leading man Yagami at the forefront.

Twinfinite - 90
With an entirely original story and streamlined side content, Judgment is easily the best place to get introduced to the Yakuza formula, and for longtime fans it's the best Dragon Engine game yet. Either way, it's one you shouldn't miss out on.

DualShockers - 85
While it largely follows the same general formula of the Yakuza games that came before it, Judgment's focus on playing as a detective and solving cases around the city of Kamurocho never once got stale.

IGN - 82
Although I wish there was more depth to its detective work, Judgment's smooth and spectacular street fighting, eclectic array of side activities, and suspenseful serial killer-based plot makes for the best original Yakuza game of this console generation. With its high-quality English-language dub and all-new cast of characters, it's also the most approachable for newcomers. Provided you're happy to serve justice with the swing of a sledgehammer rather than the knock of a gavel, Judgment is well worth investigating.

EGM - 80
Making a spin-off to a beloved niche series that then drops its most popular character seemed like a crazy idea at first, but Judgment is a success beyond what I could have expected. Though it never quite escapes the shadow of its older siblings, this tale of a fallen lawyer and his refusal to let go of the truth provides an experience that has a lot to offer both Yakuza fans and newcomers alike.

Push Square - 8/10
Judgment may be a Yakuza spin-off, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best games in SEGA's series. Barring some gimmicky gameplay additions and some unnecessary story padding, it's an absolutely ace detective thriller. As we've come to expect of Yakuza Studio, Judgment's writing and characters are top notch, and it's arguably a perfect place to start if you're looking to explore the streets of Kamurocho for the first time. Another great showing from a developer that's at the top of its game.

ACG - Buy

Destructoid - 75
It still has that serious Ryu Ga Gotoku underworld tint, but it's also still as ridiculous as ever.

GameSpot - 70
Despite some unremarkable additions to the standard Ryu ga Gotoku template, by the end of Judgment it's hard not to feel like you want to spend dozens upon dozens more hours with Yagami and friends.

GamesRadar - 60
Despite the fantastic story, Judgment stops short of being a must-play thanks to its shallow and unfulfilling crime-solving gameplay.

Series history (Metacritic):

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
(PC) - 86

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Metacritic prediction: 82

Prediction of my heart's love for this beautiful game: 10000

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
I reviewed it for Digital Chumps.
Judgment swerves Yakuza's circuitous criminal conspiracies a few degrees off course before turning up at familiar intersections of violence, eccentricity, and drama. Novelties surrounding its private detective facade, however, breakdown into tests of patience instead of pragmatism. Judgment may be an honest amendment to Yakuza's doctrine but its most refined and exciting practices are also its most routine.
7.5/10 http://digitalchumps.com/judgment-review

Underrated/surprise asset is the Motor Raid cabinet at the Theater Square Club Sega.

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how uninterested I am in this. I think after all these years I'm finally burned out on the Yakuza formula.

I still hope it does well and people enjoy it though :D

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
What is up with some of the reviews deciding to say Ryu Ga Gotoku, but then use Judgement. Choose one naming convention and stick with it hahah

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting this comes out this week

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The absolute queen Caty McCarthy at USGamer (4/5):

Judgment is very much a Yakuza game in detective clothing, but with some clever twists and a killer mystery at the center, it ends up feeling surprisingly distinct. While some of the detective-specific mechanical additions are a drag, everything else vibes really well with the familiar Kamurocho setting. It's easily the best of the recent line of Dragon Engine-developed games in the series—even without Kiryu Kazuma at the center, and even without a karaoke minigame.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Push Square - 8/10

Judgment may be a Yakuza spin-off, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best games in SEGA's series. Barring some gimmicky gameplay additions and some unnecessary story padding, it's an absolutely ace detective thriller. As we've come to expect of Yakuza Studio, Judgment's writing and characters are top notch, and it's arguably a perfect place to start if you're looking to explore the streets of Kamurocho for the first time. Another great showing from a developer that's at the top of its game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Interesting that people are saying it's the best Dragon Engine game yet, considering Y6 was incredible.

Detective story in a Yakuza skin was what I excepted, and I'm totally cool with that.

Oct 27, 2017
Reading through some of the reviews, it seems like the highlights are that it has a really strong story and cast, with some of the new combat systems being fun. But that the experience doesn't feel as exciting due to some awkward pacing, some annoying aspects regarding the detective aspect of the game, and just being tired of another game in Kamurocho.

Definitely sounds like an amazing game and a unique take on the Yakuza world, but it doesn't seem like it will bring back the people who are tired of RGG games after having played four in less than two years. I say this as someone who has been a RGG fan since the PS3 since I am also one of those people who have sort of felt like there's been way to much of the series lately.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
My veins. In them.

I haven't gotten around to starting Yakuza 6 yet. Anyone know if this has any spoilers for that in it? Not sure whether I need so shelve my copy until after Y6.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
We pushed our review life as well.

The Outerhaven - 3.5/5

Judgment is without a doubt the best playing Yakuza game to date. It has all of the quality of life improvements of the Dragon Engine alongside a host of new welcome features. The combat and minigames are the best they've ever been. The narrative is interesting overall, but can feel misguided and aimless at certain points.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Looks like a solid entry and I'm excited to dig in - Bravo to the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios!

I'm confident that Kazuma would approve.

2HRR.gif

Also glad that Sega isn't releasing this in the midst of a huge AAA-title storm and having be buried, like they did with Yakuza 6, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and Sakura Taisen in spring 2020. T________T

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Under normal circumstances, I'd definitely get this day one.

But in this glorious utopia where Yakuza games show up on PC, I'm gonna wait for this one to get ported to PC and I'll be THERE day one.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that people are saying it's the best Dragon Engine game yet, considering Y6 was incredible.

Detective story in a Yakuza skin was what I excepted, and I'm totally cool with that.

6 had a goodd story but its gameplay is kneecapped by being the first game in the new engine. So content was less and combat was simpler. Judgment solves both those problems easily while having a much better story on top of it. So yeah, its undoubtedly the best of the dragon engine games.

Can't say I'd agree with rating it below an 8 though, but that's my bias showing. I've already 100%ed the Japanese release and will do the same next week with the English release. Story is fantastic, combat feels much better than the last two games thanks to a more fleshed out fighting style (well, two technically but they are more similar than past style switches in 0/Ishin/Kenzan),lots of fantastic content, side stories and just a genuinely fun game all round.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely do not understand how professional reviews work anymore.

I see a lot of praise, but scores for a lot of these reviews seem off. Also a lot of reviews say this is a very good spin off of yakuza, being better than some of them.

I wanna play this regardless.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nice, wonder if they'll make this a franchise with sequels or if they're gonna go back to Yakuza. I'll likely pick this up on a sale since I still have 0, Kiwami 2 and 6 to go through though.

Oct 25, 2017
The tailing stuff looked bad in the original trailers. Bummed that they actually are.

Hope they aren't too frustrating at least. Some of the stealth stuff like in yakuza zero were badddd

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely do not understand how professional reviews work anymore.

I see a lot of praise, but scores for a lot of these reviews seem off. Also a lot of reviews say this is a very good spin off of yakuza, being better than some of them.

I wanna play this regardless.

Seems on par with the rest of the series at least, there's always a weird score disconnect when reading Yakuza reviews for some reason lol

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I'd usually get this Day 1 but I still need to get through the Fist of the North Star game first. I'm super excited for this game so having to wait is a bummer.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, wonder if they'll make this a franchise with sequels or if they're gonna go back to Yakuza. I'll likely pick this up on a sale since I still have 0, Kiwami 2 and 6 to go through though.
Well they are planning to do several Ichiban games so that series is not going away any time soon. I hope we get another Judge Eyes game, with refinement to the detective stuff it'd be even better. We'll have to wait and see, I doubt we'll hear much about it this year if TGS does indeed focus on Shin RGG, but here's hoping we get more Yakuza/JE news!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I played through Y1 (original) and Y2 (original), but then I fell off of Y3 and Y0 (despite liking them). I currently own Y0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 so I'm hoping Judgment will rejuvenate my drive to play through the Yakuza series.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Basically it depends on how frustrated you are after dozens of tailing missions

If you hate them, it's 6/10. I didn't mind them, so for me it's a 9/10.