• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Played a couple of hours just now and wow. This is the first game I've played on the Dragon engine (played 0, 3, 4 some 5 and working on kiwami right now) and holy crap the difference is massive. I will say playing in 30 fps is a huge bummer coming from the stellar PC ports of the yakuza games, but it's definitely something I'll get used to after playing for a couple more hours. It's pretty clear that even though this isn't a yakuza game by name, it is a yakuza game through and through. And I'm totally fine with that :D

How is Judgment & the Yakuza series take on Tokyo? Is it a 1 to 1 recreation? I'm going there later this year & thought it would actually be a good idea to roam the streets in those games to get a feel for it.
Tokyo specifically (since yakuza features other locations) is a recreation of Kabukicho, as others have pointed out. Even though you can't use it as a map, the atmosphere and feeling of downtown Tokyo is captured incredibly well!

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on the voice acting. The japanese is fantastic and the natural fit but I'm enjoying the english as well and being able to not just stare at the subtitles. I might keep jumping between the two.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on the voice acting. The japanese is fantastic and the natural fit but I'm enjoying the english as well and being able to not just stare at the subtitles. I might keep jumping between the two.
I started with Japanese, which is fine, but I'm thinking about switching to English just so I don't have to read so much.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at how "balanced" the fighting is. I'm not a big Yakuza guy, so this is probably dreadfully easy for most of you, but for me each boss fight I basically lose with the boss still at like half-HP, then on a second try I win with like a sliver of health left. I'm not using the environment as much as I should, but I find that balance is just right for being hard but fair for a beat-em-up.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at how "balanced" the fighting is. I'm not a big Yakuza guy, so this is probably dreadfully easy for most of you, but for me each boss fight I basically lose with the boss still at like half-HP, then on a second try I win with like a sliver of health left. I'm not using the environment as much as I should, but I find that balance is just right for being hard but fair for a beat-em-up.
Remember you have a block button. That was a big one for me when I first started playing Yakuza games. You get so focused on offense you forget to block.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I didn't see this coming.
Playing as Saori!

That was so unexpected and honestly I loved that little part. Soari is great.

doncortez77

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Im enjoying the game so far.

A little hint i want to pass on. later when you meet one of the friend interactions "Tanago" Mr. Try and Hit Me. Save yourself the trouble and one hit him with EX drunken fist special. Just be at the alcohol level higher than six and hit triangle.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Can someone tell me how many stray cats I'm going to have to find in the investigation scenarios?

You can spoiler it if need be.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wow, I'm bad at the combat in this game. Yagami's attacks just seem sluggish compared to Kiryu's for some reason. I just finished Chapter 1, but it's still gonna take some getting used to.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
On the fence with this, tempted to pick it up as I like the look of the detective side of things. I played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 back to back last year and when Yakuza 6 came out, I couldn't get past the first three chapters. Not sure if this is different enough or if enough time has passed to jump into.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Was there one in the very first tutorial investigation scene? I heard a mew in the second and been watching since but not sure if I missed one
Which is the first tutorial one? If it was in the Champion Street alley with the detective, yeah there is one there you need to find.

I was hoping for a total number but this is good enough.
Well, I played the Japanese version 6 months ago, sorry I can't recall every last investigation scene ;) Plus I don't know if all the optional side quest ones count either (I got them all to be on the safe side). There's loads.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm bad at the combat in this game. Yagami's attacks just seem sluggish compared to Kiryu's for some reason. I just finished Chapter 1, but it's still gonna take some getting used to.

I get the opposite feeling, playing Yagami is like some Jet Li shit compared to playing Kiryu for me outside of Y0 Rush Mode.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Spent tonight clearing through a load of arcade gems:

Beat Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for the umpteenth time.
Beat The House of the Dead: Dead Souls Edition (Kamurocho of the Dead). God it gets crazy in the last two chapters with all of the Virtua Cop timers on the mini bosses and bosses. Really enjoyed it though. I'd love to see it expanded as an actual lightgun arcade game spin off. It's what the original Dead SOuls should have been in the first place!
Beat Motor Raid. Which is new to me, never played it before but damn it's really fun. There was so many of these sci-fi fast paced racing games back then like F-Zero. I will be returning to this. Always a joy when some SEGA arcade game you've never heard of and never got to play back in the day gets ported to the games that RGG makes. Still keeping my fingers crossed for Planet Harriers one day!
Played some darts. Played the crane games, getting the toys, just i nthe off chance there's another side quest involving them (and just for fun as well I suppose).

Not tried the gambling games again yet.

Still on Chapter 1 after having the game for like 3 days now haha. Can't stop getting distracted. Looks like the friendship missions are going to be really addictive too.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of a specific question, but does anyone know how big of a role ProZD's character plays? I'm a big fan of his so I was tempted to play some of the game with English VA just to hear his performance, but it just seems wrong to play a Yakuza game with anything but the original dub especially given the star power in the game.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ive had similar feelings, I think he is a bit over animated and tiger style feels so slow to me. I really want those speed upgrades because of this. Hard mode seems to take the fun anyway with enemies auto blocking too much, don't know if normal is like that. I wish it was a bit more like DMC or KH where even on hard difficulties, if you find an opening, you can make good use of combos.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Please RGG, never get rid of the ability to sprint and jump off walls and do attacks after. Shit is so fucking GOOD.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't have the game yet, but I was wondering if it is possible to access the arcade games like Virtua Fighter, directly from the main menu.

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a specific question, but does anyone know how big of a role ProZD's character plays? I'm a big fan of his so I was tempted to play some of the game with English VA just to hear his performance, but it just seems wrong to play a Yakuza game with anything but the original dub especially given the star power in the game.

He's in the game? I had no idea. Must not be a really major role, at any rate.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Ive had similar feelings, I think he is a bit over animated and tiger style feels so slow to me. I really want those speed upgrades because of this. Hard mode seems to take the fun anyway with enemies auto blocking too much, don't know if normal is like that. I wish it was a bit more like DMC or KH where even on hard difficulties, if you find an opening, you can make good use of combos.
Same thing for me, been playing yakuza games since the original on ps2 and something about the tiger stance just bad to me, not sure if its the gaps between in basic strings or the animations themselves. Also what does the "reverse" mean is it simply when you attack someone behind you?

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
This game is amazing, loving everything about it so far. Taking the Yakuza setting/gameplay and adding the detective elements feels like it was made just for me.

And the English voice acting is surprisingly good!

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
He's in the game? I had no idea. Must not be a really major role, at any rate.

Yeah he posted on twitter he voices "Tashiro" as well as some random NPCs. I'm guessing it'll end up just being a sidequest voice. But if he's one of the random people who assault you on the street I might switch to english VA for some free roam sections just for kicks.

Oct 27, 2017

Playing it on hard as well, and it can be irritating at times but I thought Yakuza was always kind of like that too.

They're not kidding when they say Tiger is better for one on one and Crane is for groups though . Basically unless you're fighting a heavy boss you shouldn't use Tiger, and if it's a boss with underlings Crane that shit until it's just you two. Then Tiger kicks ass.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it on hard as well, and it can be irritating at times but I thought Yakuza was always kind of like that too.

They're not kidding when they say Tiger is better for one on one and Crane is for groups though . Basically unless you're fighting a heavy boss you shouldn't use Tiger, and if it's a boss with underlings Crane that shit until it's just you two. Then Tiger kicks ass.
you're gonna have to use tiger for groups if you want the plat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he posted on twitter he voices "Tashiro" as well as some random NPCs. I'm guessing it'll end up just being a sidequest voice. But if he's one of the random people who assault you on the street I might switch to english VA for some free roam sections just for kicks.

Neither sidequest characters (outside potential girlfriends) nor random street thugs have English voices, so it's not that. It's probably bit parts in the main story that I haven't gotten to yet.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wohoo. Finally got my copy. Didn't know this came with a reversible cover. I like the white cover.

8ZSoovm.jpg

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm finding tiger to be useless on bosses though, I can't seem to pull of combos or even sometimes get hits in without taking damage, it's just so slow and they auto block everything so easily. I just end up spamming wall attacks and grabs as it feels like there is barely any openings for anything else. I don't remember having these issues with Yakuza games before even on legend, and especially before the Dragon engine. I can also mash attacks and occasionally get a hit but that feels wrong as I usually take damage while doing so.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well, thank fuck this has autosave. My power went out for literally 3 seconds or so this evening and I lost a grand total of one minute of progress thanks to the autosave.

Oct 30, 2017
3 thoughts:

1) The intro to this game is pretty awesome.
2) The 2 DLC packs look like shit that should be in the game by default. Camera filters, drone skins, and little figurines things? Come on Sega. Seriously?
3) What is this Play Pass thing? Do I need them? Why thy selling these things? For a single player game? I just don't get it.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Well, thank fuck this has autosave. My power went out for literally 3 seconds or so this evening and I lost a grand total of one minute of progress thanks to the autosave.

Auto save is life. FFIX froze on me when playing the switch version and I had not saved in 2 hours. I didn't want to close the game and accept the fact that it was frozen. Reloaded the game, hit continue and couldn't believe it auto saved.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is this to plat? specifically 100% especially on minigames, 0 and Kiwami 1 and 2 are a pain iirc

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in.. Ch6 as of last night and I feel like I have a pretty good guess as to where the plot is leading, but I wouldn't doubt some crazy twist. Great fucking game.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Auto save is life. FFIX froze on me when playing the switch version and I had not saved in 2 hours. I didn't want to close the game and accept the fact that it was frozen. Reloaded the game, hit continue and couldn't believe it auto saved.
The autosave in FFIX Remaster is AWESOME. Such a timesaver.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
My first Yakuza game and yeah.....it's awesome! I love the slow burn of the beginning, setting up the story and getting you familiar with the characters. It seems it's a lot deeper than I had thought.

I also got sucked into playing Virtua Fighter for a while, lol. Mad it to Dural but lost.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
OK, got around playing an hour or two.

- It's great to be back in Kamurocho and seeing the most recent iteration of it.
- Pressing X once to continuously sprint is a godsend, no more holding it down or tapping frantically.
- Yagami is a lot more nimble than the Dragon Engine iterations of Kiryu.

For all intents and purposes, this game is giving me all the same feelings as a titled/numbered Yakuza game would. And I am A-OK with that.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Anyone else having Shun Isaka populate as a friend? It says he shows up after you're chased by the police at least once but I've been chased 5x now and he's not popping up. Am I missing something?

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
For stances, I found myself using tiger more and more on small groups, it seems faster than to use crane. But also I almost never use the wallruning tricks as I usually miss and also it's annoying to lure enemies near walls.

Also, I found a Yakuza 1 reference,
had a smoke in the Little Asia construction area and one of the guys there started talking about how the Bantam bar used to be called Bacchus and that many people were murdered there once.