• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which language are planning on playing Judgment in initially?

• English dub first. Give me Greg Chun, Crispin Freeman, and the NA cast in their full glory.

Votes: 83 23.2%
  • Japanese with English subtitles first as nature intended.

Votes: 244 68.3%
  • I'm undecided.

Votes: 17 4.8%
  • Nani?

Votes: 13 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is fantastic. Great spin off from the yakuza framework.

Heading the characters speak in English definitely takes a little getting used to.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is Yakuza 6 even remotely newcomer friendly? I know it's not an ideal jumping in point for the Y series, and that I have better options.

But if I wanted to play Y6 with almost no knowledge of the series, would I be completely lost? I'm ok not getting the references to the older games, and I fully understand that the story won't have the same impact for a newcomer.
Each yakuza has a self contained story. So the story in Yakuza 6 has not much to do with anything else, most of the characters in Y6 appear for the 1st time in Y6. When Y6 starts you can also view a resume of events from all previous yakuza games, that let you know the characters a little better.

But Y6 will not have the same impact if you start playing it 1st. The conection the player have with the familiar characters makes the game much more meaningfull than for someone that is meeting them now for the 1st time.

While can be played for its self contained story, it will be much more enjoyable if played in last after all other Yakuza games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Yakuza 6 even remotely newcomer friendly? I know it's not an ideal jumping in point for the Y series, and that I have better options.

But if I wanted to play Y6 with almost no knowledge of the series, would I be completely lost? I'm ok not getting the references to the older games, and I fully understand that the story won't have the same impact for a newcomer.

It's the final chapter for the protagonist of the 6+ mainline Yakuza games.
You can play it, the story itself doesn't rely too much on the former games, but the emotional impact will be much weaker.

I'd recommend Yakuza 0, which most people think is a superior game to Y6 anyways.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yakuza 6 is the ending of the Yakuza series and features many characters from the other games. It literally starts off with a minor recap of the ending of Yakuza 5. You can play it without playing the other games, but you definitely won't get as much out of it and will be wondering about a few things.

As an ideal jumping off point, I'd recommend Yakuza 0.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
First game since the original Yakuza 1 I'm playing with the English dub. If Kiryu was in it I'd be doing subs, his and Majima''s VA are the characters to me, but I'm going to give the English guys a shot this time.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First game since the original Yakuza 1 I'm playing with the English dub. If Kiryu was in it I'd be doing subs, his and Majima''s VA are the characters to me, but I'm going to give the English guys a shot this time.

Agreed. As a big fan of the past few yakuza games it would be weird hearing those characters in English. But since this is all new characters I'm going for it.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I have been on a real yakuza kick lately. I beat kiwami and 6 back to back and I don't know if I want to play this are kiwami 2 next

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay feels weighty and more substantial than the Yakuza games. Both on walking around and in combat.

I really like how there is no pause at all when a fight starts.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
First Yakuza game.
This game is fire. It's so funny, lol. Love it, it's so zany and wacky! Between this and CTR, summer is off to a good start!

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we can help you decide. What did you like about Y6, and what has you interested in YK2 and/or Judgment?

I have beat 0 and kiwami and I want to play kiwami 2 because I want to continue the story in order. I also heard kiwami 2 is one of the best games in the series with the best villain.

I want to play judgment because it has the different detective mechanics, different characters and the English voices have me interested. I also don't want to get burnt out and think those changes would make a difference.

I could get Kiwami 2 for a lot cheaper and wait to get judgement decisions decisions

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting baby from monkey ball out of the ufo catcher is killing me but I neeeeeeed the full set

Null Pointer

Senior Localization Producer for SEGA @ Atlus
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
Irvine CA
I have beat 0 and kiwami and I want to play kiwami 2 because I want to continue the story in order. I also heard kiwami 2 is one of the best games in the series with the best villain.

I want to play judgment because it has the different detective mechanics, different characters and the English voices have me interested. I also don't want to get burnt out and think those changes would make a difference.

I could get Kiwami 2 for a lot cheaper and wait to get judgement decisions decisions

The dilemma is real.

Personal opinion, I think you should go with Judgment. YK2, or just Yakuza 2, is as you say, one of the best games in the series and has been around for 15+ years. It's not going anywhere. But the release of Judgment, a whole bunch of firsts for RRG Studios, is happening right now.

EDIT: But please don't forget to pick up YK2 later, tho lol

Feb 4, 2018
I'm on Chapter 2 and it's so so so good. Kaito is the best character. Also embarrassed to say that I've already spent over an hour playing pinball in my office.

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered this just now. Been a long time since I've played a Yakuza-type game. Kind of got a bit bored with them, but I think it's just that I needed a change of characters -- so this looks like it'll fit the bill.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Whew that pinball game is so weird.

It has a "made with unity" splash screen which means that Sega paid for the cheapest license for it that requires displaying the splash screen, and it also dumps the entire game out of memory to run it. There is a super long loading screen when you quit it and go back to the regular game. At least 5 times longer than loading back into the game from other arcade games.

They obviously have to dump the game to run a Unity app, but having that splash screen logo is pretty tacky. It costs like $100 more for the license that removes it.

Oct 25, 2017

It has a "made with unity" splash screen which means that Sega paid for the cheapest license for it that requires displaying the splash screen, and it also dumps the entire game out of memory to run it. There is a super long loading screen when you quit it and go back to the regular game. At least 5 times longer than loading back into the game from other arcade games.

They obviously have to dump the game to run a Unity app, but having that splash screen logo is pretty tacky. It costs like $100 more for the license that removes it.

That sounds so bad.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Since the game is currently out for those who pre-ordered, this will be open for the time being so that those currently playing can discuss.
However, as soon as the other OT goes up this will be locked. Does that work?

Couldn't you just merge them together? Just seems pointless to me. The game is out after all. I ordered it on the day of release on PSN, it's just not out physical yet.
Can I just buy this on PSN now and start playing it tonight?

Yup!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Couldn't you just merge them together? Just seems pointless to me. The game is out after all. I ordered it on the day of release on PSN, it's just not out physical yet.

Merging wouldn't work since this thread is newer and would take priority over it on the order of posts. When the new thread is up there will be a redirection to it, so you won't miss it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Jo-awn Thank you for doing an OT on short notice. Really appreciate it.

Last night I did the (side case spoiler)
first pervert case
and man that was both weird and hilarious. Hopefully there are more cases like that lol

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
There are a ton of missables for this game. Is there new game +? Is there a 100% guide somewhere?

I assume I should go on completely blind first time around Right?

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Curious if any Yakuza fans have found any returning characters in Kamurocho? I know they said there was no crossover, but I found (minor spoiler)
the Mama from Earth Angel
pretty early on. Anyone find anyone else interesting?

Oct 27, 2017
81-PdD36qqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Info

-Platform: PS4 (for now)
-Release date: 25th June 2019
-Price: $59.99
-Install size: 31GB
-Genre: 1 player brawler/adventure game but has 2 player mini games like Virtua Fighter and Puyo Puyo selectable from the menu screen
-Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza series and Binary Domain)
-PS4 Pro Enhanced
-Dual audio is available for the first time since the original Yakuza on PS2 in 2005. But the less said about that dub, the better (Mark Hamill's stellar performance as Majima aside).

Story:

After getting a murderer acquitted, fallen attorney Takayuki Yagami begins his personal quest for redemption. From thrilling confrontations to unexpected plot twists, this dark cinematic mystery is yours to solve.

Judgment marks the first time in over 12 years that a game set in the Yakuza series universe has received an English dub for its Western release. A star-studded English voice cast brings Judgment to life. Greg Chun takes on the role of Judgment's protagonist, Takayuki Yagami, supported by Crispin Freeman, Matthew Mercer, Cherami Leigh, Yuri Lowenthal, James Hong, Ed O'Ross, Amy Walker, Matt Yang King, Fred Tatasciore, Brian Mcnamara, as well as guest appearances by SungWon Cho, Cristina Vee, Max Mittleman, and many more."

Gameplay Features:
While it's set in Kamurocho and done in the Dragon Engine, Judgment differs from its Yakuza brethren in a few ways:

-Drone racing
-Disguises to infiltrate places for story missions and for fun outside the story
-Two distinct fighting styles: Crane (crowd control) and Tiger (single enemies) in addition to juggling enemies
-No karaoke, no Outrun
-A VR mini-game that involves a board game with various rewards
-Legacy mini-games such as Puyo Puyo, Virtua Fighter 5, mahjong, shogi, and more
-Detective investigation mechanics which are pivotal to the story
-Quality of Life improvements to the Dragon Engine such custom waypoint trails to a destination and more
-Wacky and fun substories for when you're not solving cases, kicking some ass, or flying drones like a good detective that you are.

Frequently Asked Questions:

I've never played a Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game. Do I need to know anything about the series in order to jump into it?

No, you can start with this game and be totally fine. This game has nothing to do with the Yakuza series other than the setting and the Dragon Engine.

Is Judgment basically Yakuza 6 with a reskin?

Judgment shares the same skeleton but it has numerous enhancements and gameplay differences. For instance, this series has way more heat actions (EX Moves in this game) than Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2, the last Dragon Engine games. In addition, Yagami has wall jump moves so his fighting style is akin to Jackie Chan's action movies. Think Police Story meets The Departed.

Where is Judgment set?

The game takes place in modern Kamurocho (fictional Kabuki-cho) which is familiar to longtime Yakuza fans. Unlike Kiryu Kazuma however, Yagami Takayuki is a resident of Kamurocho so we get to see the setting through a new lens. This means new characters as well as new locations within Kamurocho. In addition, he's younger, methodical, and a master of disguise among other things.

Million dollar question: Is Pierre Taki in this version of the game?

No, Sega moved quickly to replace his in-game model. Thus, it did not affect Judgment's release date.

Has it really been 19 years since the last time a Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game was dubbed?

It sure has. Sega of America has done an incredible and meticulous job on the localization. Please make sure to thank Scott Strichart on Twitter for his hard work. If this game sells well, then we might see dual audio in a future Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game. *cough Shin Yakuza*

Is this game for PC? I want to play it on 60FPS at 4K.

Not yet but given how pleased Sega has been with the sales of its catalog of games on PC, I'm sure there's a PC release in the near future.

Is this the first time Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has made an original game outside of Yakuza?

No, as I mentioned before Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio worked on Binary Domain, a 3rd person shooter set in a futuristic Japan. It's quite good with a branching narrative and destructible robot limbs. In short, it's not their first rodeo. Many members worked on Sega games of yore such as Super Monkey Ball and arcade games.

Can we expect to see any characters from the Yakuza series to make an appearance in Judgment?

Absolutely not. Strichart and the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio team made it clear that this is a completely separate series that has nothing to do with Yakuza. It's completely accessible to anyone. The best analogy is to compare it to Sleeping Dogs.

Does this mean we're going to get a Binary Domain sequel?

Here's what Romain said about that as he interviewed Nagoshi:

How long does it take to beat this game?

20 hours to power through the story; 110+ hours to 100% everything. There are a few missable trophies if you're aiming for the platinum trophy. I hope you're good at Puyo Puyo and mahjong. Good luck!

Is this series like Grand Theft Auto?

No, think of it more as a spiritual successor to River City Ransom with a smaller setting to play in. You can't jack cars or beat up anyone because you're working with the law. Weapons behave like temporary power-ups that break.

I'm interested in getting into the Yakuza series. Where should I start?

Naturally with Yakuza 0 to see where it all began. Check out the Yakuza Community thread. It's a wonderful community of comprised of Yakuza fans who post impressions of various games for the first time or replays.

I think I see a few pigeons in this game. Are there any pigeons?

That's no pigeon. That's a cat. ;)

Media

71PNs1-g5CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61%2BTR7UMVFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71dEPSkaAIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71FAM7c6oLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Important Links

Review thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/judgment-review-thread.124518/page-4

Yakuza Community Thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yakuza-community-ot-no-yakuza-here

Official website: http://yakuza.sega.com/judgment/home.html

Metacritic (79): https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/judgment

Open Critic (82): https://opencritic.com/game/7759/judgment

Scott Strichart's Twitter account: www.twitter.com/TriggerRedd

House Keeping Stuff/Acknowledgments*

-Please be mindful of spoilers and tag them appropriately with either the spoiler tag or the cross tag. Anything story specific or a cool unlockable is considered a spoiler. Use common sense where necessary.
-Please be kind to each other. Don't antagonize each other when it comes to ranking the Ryu Ga Gotoku games. It's all subjective.
-Please enjoy the game whether you intend to play it dub first or Japanese with English sub.

Thanks again to the Yakuza Community thread, the localization team at Sega of America, and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio for their hard work. Please support the games so that more of them come out. In turn, more games can be ported to other platforms so that more people can enjoy them. Thanks for reading!

*The OP is a work in progress with revisions and tweaks being made as suggested or needed. Banners and GIFs are welcome. :)

Where's the poll option for Japanese audio with French subtitles?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Debating a preorder on Monday (still have Best Buy GCU) so I can pick it up Tuesday. How're you people liking the game? I loved Yakuza 0, Kiwami. I liked (not loved) 6 and Kiwami 2 mostly due to the new engine feeling more sluggish; not just talking about FPS.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There are a ton of missables for this game. Is there new game +? Is there a 100% guide somewhere?

I assume I should go on completely blind first time around Right?
Yes go completely blind for your first playthrough.

And yeah there is an NG+ and there is also a premium adventure mode unlocked after beating the game which let's you carry over all your side stuff progression (mini-games, records, items, side cases, etc) without having to worry about the main story at all.

Both of these modes will unlock after you beat the game once.

The only truly missable stuff are the specific things that you need to do during main story missions, like finding cats in all of the clue searching scenes for one of the trophies.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yes go completely blind for your first playthrough.

And yeah there is an NG+ and there is also a premium adventure mode unlocked after beating the game which let's you carry over all your side stuff progression (mini-games, records, items, side cases, etc) without having to worry about the main story at all.

Both of these modes will unlock after you beat the game once.

The only truly missable stuff are the specific things that you need to do during main story missions, like finding cats in all of the clue searching scenes for one of the trophies.
Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer.i can continue then with no worries.

I am loving the game A LOT.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm in talks with PrinceOfWhatever and the OT is indeed done. He was going top post his thread on Tuesday I believe since the early digital release came out of nowhere.

The early digital release has been a thing since the game was announced in the west.

This all seems very silly. The game is out, people needed an OT. Oh well, seems like it's been worked out.

shadowman16 are you playing this version? Any thoughts on this version of Homura vs the Pierre Taki model? So far he still seems badass to me

Feb 4, 2018

lol the splash screen was super jarring when I first saw it, never thought something like that would pop up in the middle of the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Its so fucking tacky. This mini game is probably my least favourite thing in the game as its not a great table, the load issues you mention take me out of the game completely, and I feel it should run smoother as well. I mean, I don't like Pachinko tables the teams used in previous games, but there's no denying the attention to detail used is so damn solid, so seeing the way this was done kinda hurts it. Just go to the arcade instead ;)

Guys any help with the missing cat case?

President cat?
Buy cat food
Approach it outside the millenium tower
follow it in, get drone out and search for it on some of the higher pillars? scaffholding? in the building
The rest should be pretty straight forward, just watch out for some of the fights, they are pretty intense!

Jo-awn Thank you for doing an OT on short notice. Really appreciate it.

Last night I did the (side case spoiler)
first pervert case
and man that was both weird and hilarious. Hopefully there are more cases like that lol
There's several of them. They are all equally strange/hilarious.

Curious if any Yakuza fans have found any returning characters in Kamurocho? I know they said there was no crossover, but I found (minor spoiler)
the Mama from Earth Angel
pretty early on. Anyone find anyone else interesting?

Aside from shop keepers like that, there's not really any, but...

Look at the magazines that some people read in resturants. If you've played Yakuza 6 you should recognise the article many are reading! Seems people like trashy hit pieces on adorable pop idols.

Also, well there's another one. Kinda.

The early digital release has been a thing since the game was announced in the west.

This all seems very silly. The game is out, people needed an OT. Oh well, seems like it's been worked out.

shadowman16 are you playing this version? Any thoughts on this version of Homura vs the Pierre Taki model? So far he still seems badass to me
Nope. I'm playing the HD Remaster of Yakuza 5. I go physical for Yakuza always. So I'm waiting until next week.

What difficulty do y'all play on? Can you change difficulty on the fly?
I always use hard. And yeah, swap in the options menu any time you want.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Is performance more stable than previous titles on the engine?

Sorta?

I feel FPS is a way more stable 30 and the jaggies from Y6 are mostly eliminated like they were in Kiwami 2. But on a pro at least, I am noticing hitching coming in or out of certain scenes. It still "feels" more optimized to me than Y6 or Kiwami 2 overall. Combat feels more weighty too

Status
Not open for further replies.