• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

He doesn't look that bad for a pretty quick job, does he?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D4RzzflWAAAWtzD.jpg
D4Rz0OzWkAUwzCj.jpg

(Very dirty side by side comparison)
Very similar, just the new model looks 10-15 years younger

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look hugely different to me. Shame they had to cut the actor out completely, but I'm glad the Western release will still come out.

Oct 27, 2017
He looks like a more svelte, slightly older, Awano. Which is fine. If they're competent I don't care who plays the role.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
yeah seems like they just made some small tweaks, which explains the quick turnaround

also the music in that trailer is so good, gives me Hotel Dusk vibes. And is that Quinton Flynn as the lackey?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look that different, but as long as this helps the game avoid delays, I'm all good :)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not bad. I still prefer the original but I guess this will do. Though I wish they showed the japanese voice actor.

Shame what Happened though. Pierre doesn't deserve this.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Pierre Taki also did the original voice right? I really hope the western release still keeps Japanese voices as an option

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to pin it down but the new model definitely feels like it's missing some of that classic "yakuza sleeze" that the original model has. Overall it's fine though. Hopefully the replaced Japanese voice performance is good too

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Not digging that model at all. Hamura's original smarmy grin is... just not the same here. And that's a huge part of his character when I played the game through. Bit disappointed :(

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are drug charges a big deal overseas? It seems weird that he's being removed from the game just for doing drugs (unless I missed something). I get that he's a criminal, but did her harm anyone other than himself?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I kinda prefer the new look. I am super impressed with how quickly this has all happened. Ryu ga Gotoku Studio are wizards.

Are drug charges a big deal overseas? It seems weird that he's being removed from the game just for doing drugs (unless I missed something). I get that he's a criminal, but did her harm anyone other than himself?
They are. In the west stuff like cocaine is in thousands of movies and is commonly used in humor, but in Japan it's the kind of thing they try to hide and find especially disgusting / shameful. Especially with what people have to do to make and obtain it around there.

Something worth noting that I only recently found out is that he is a really prominent person in Japanese children's media. I feel bad for him, but he absolutely knew what could happen.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good. My biggest issue is how deep his dub voice is. Doesn't really fit the face imo. He's way younger for that deep voice. I doubt it would fit Pierre Taki either actually.

Still, looks good and Im very excited.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
He looks more like standard yakuza guy now lol.

Well I think people who haven't played the Japanese version or seen these videos wouldn't notice the changes anyway.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
They did it like in OutRun, where they barely changed the Testarossa so they wouldnt have to pay royalties.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They are. In the west stuff like cocaine is in thousands of movies and is commonly used in humor, but in Japan it's the kind of thing they try to hide and find especially disgusting / shameful. Especially with what people have to do to make and obtain it around there.

Something worth noting that I only recently found out is that he is a really prominent person in Japanese children's media. I feel bad for him, but he absolutely knew what could happen.

I always thought it was strange how there's barely any drugs in the Yakuza games. Maybe that has to do with it.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
That's... fine. It's not a model I would think anything of if I didn't know it was a substitute. I think I prefer the fleshier, less angular, less conventionally attractive of the real Pierre Taki, but it'll do.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Quite unfortunate, Pierre Taki has a hugely unique and menacing look from all the footage we had before.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Quite unfortunate, Pierre Taki has a hugely unique and menacing look from all the footage we had before.
Precisely. I was hoping they'd show the early courtroom scene with him. His smirk in that scene (in the original release) sells the entire scene and says more about his character than most of his backstory at that point. I'd love to see how that scene looks with the new model.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Precisely. I was hoping they'd show the early courtroom scene with him. His smirk in that scene (in the original release) sells the entire scene and says more about his character than most of his backstory at that point. I'd love to see how that scene looks with the new model.

Not to mention his smirk in the opening theme

segataki.png

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The new model looks great. I would say I prefer it.

The situation is still highly ridiculous though.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
eww that's bad. Hamura is the best part of that game. Turned off auto updates and I'm not gonna buy the western release lol.

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
eww that's bad. Hamura is the best part of that game. Turned off auto updates and I'm not gonna buy the western release lol.
Yeah I've turned off auto-updates as a result of this whole thing too. Still, Taki's face is on the icon for the trophy for beating Chapter 2 - can they even change those in an update?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan. Looks way too smooth, the lack of wrinkles ends up removing a lot of the texture these games tend to have due to their actor scans.