• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yea, this isn't new news, but it's awesome all the same.

What about non-english languages ?

It's not being dubbed in those languages, so they only need the japanese translation sub. (The only other option would be to translate from the english dub script, which wouldn't really make sense. It would be transferring the altered english localization, which could be problematic.)

The prospect of playing with the english dub with the japanese audio sub is actually kinda neat imo.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Good, this would have been a deal breaker for me otherwise. I can't play a RGG game in English at this point.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is great. Dubs do often change a lot of stuff, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (I prefer entertaining translations that take some liberties over accurate but dull ones), but you don't need to be fluent in Japanese to see when dubtitles simply do not match the Japanese audio, and that is distracting.

Plus, more options is always good. Purists who prefer a more straight translation get what they want.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This only furthers my desire to support this game as much as I can. I don't know a ton of Japanese, but it always threw me off a bit when I recognized the JPN audio saying something while the ENG subtitles said something completely different (i.e., "dubtitles"). I'd much rather a direct translation of the Japanese script to English as subtitles, rather than just copy the English localization.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes when I play the game for myself! I've been wanting more "authentic" Japanese/English subtitles in my games for a while. I really should pre-order this soon...

Last edited:

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Sega is doing everything right with this release.

Hope it sells well and pays off for them, I really liked what little I played of the JP version. I'll definitely double-dip and play the whole game with this combination of JP VA and the matching subs option.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
hope it pays off!

I imagine that could have been pretty expensive tho so hopefully fans let them know it was appreciated (and use it!)

Apr 24, 2018
This is really cool. Happy to see Sega trying to please as many people as they can with this series in recent years.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
As if you needed anymore reason to love Ryu Ga Gotoku studios and the localization team. They have been knocking it out of the park recently.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Is the audience of people who know enough Japanese to know the subtitles don't match the audio but not enough to just play in Japanese really big enough to justify the expense of localising a game twice?
Don't have to know much Japanese to know something doesn't match with the subtitles imo. Especially when it's something like a name which generally sounds the same in both languages.
When names get changed in the localization, the Japanese voice actors will be saying a different name than the subtitles show.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
IllinformedThoroughAchillestang-max-1mb.gif

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't mean the subtitles for the JP track are overly dry or, well, less-localized. If it's simply a matter of the English dub required adjustments d/t timing or whatever that's one thing, but I'm not very keen on wanting something to sync up with the original performance meaning getting text that doesn't sing as well.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Wouldn't expect anything less. Yakuza has set a precedent, and it's what the North American fans want. The inclusion of a dub is just icing on the cake for some people.

I hope this doesn't mean the subtitles for the JP track are overly dry or, well, less-localized. If it's simply a matter of the English dub required adjustments d/t timing or whatever that's one thing, but I'm not very keen on wanting something to sync up with the original performance meaning getting text that doesn't sing as well.
You don't have to worry about that at all. The translation team has fun with the Yakuza games, they are not word for word at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah I'm curious here. I want the localisation text to read like Y5, Y0, Y6's localisations, which aren't direct translations of the JP audio.
Am I still going to get that if I play with the JP audio + subtitles.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
So far the English Dub just lacks the charm and quirky nature of the Japanese dub.

Like they are overly serious all the time. One example is all the lines I have heard in English failed to capture the essence of Kimura Takuya's "Chotte mateyo" .

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to worry about that at all. The translation team has fun with the Yakuza games, they are not word for word at all.
Yeah I'm curious here. I want the localisation text to read like Y5, Y0, Y6's localisations, which aren't direct translations of the JP audio.
Am I still going to get that if I play with the JP audio + subtitles.

I've only played Y0, K and K2, and I loved their localizations. That's why I am hoping they don't save the flavor for the dubtitles in service of appeasing a more "literal" crowd. The team is super good so I understand I'm probably fretting over nothing.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Neat, always nice to have options. Happy for the purists, but I'm a big fan of how SEGA has been handling their Yakuza team translations. I like that they add little extra flavour to probably compensate for things lost in translation.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good stuff. I always use the Japanese language option if a game has it -- nice to know they're specifically accommodating that.

I do wonder if it will be a literal subtitle or not though -- it's relatively inconsequential either way as far as I'm concerned, but I say this in that sometimes even without a dub they bake in some localization in the subtitle for ease of understanding for the general audience. I.e. I've been catching up on Koreeda films the past few days and on the DVDs, and I've noticed twice where Hokkaido was said in the film and the subtitle simply used "the north." During I Wish, one of the boys referred to Koshien and the subtitle just said "that famous baseball stadium."

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
What sort of things feel off? I only really play games dubbed so I'm having trouble understanding what problems are being addressed here.
Couple of reasons.

1. The timing is off. Japanese sentence structure is different than English and puts emphasis on different things. Sometimes a string of sentences can read "better" in English by re-arranging the order of things while still keeping the same general meaning. While this is fine if your script is purely text, or if you just have to deal with a dub, it can be jarring when reading subtitles and a character's name shows up in the spoken dialogue but doesn't show up in the written dialogue until 1-2 lines later (or earlier).
2. Sometimes writers will change some details of a script to something the target audience would find more appropriate, but the difference is obvious when listening to the original audio. The localization scripts for Persona 3 and 4 change up the ways characters address each other a lot (the most common is "last name-san" replaced with "first name-kun/'chan"), and they got away with this because there wasn't any Japanese audio option on the disc. I don't think I noticed this in Persona 5, and if Atlus USA did change how they did things it was probably because of the dual audio.

Another example: In Xenoblade 2, there's a scene where a robot maid character talks about her "bunny suit" mode. But in the Japanese script she talks about her bikini armor, and she literally says "Super Bikini Armor" in English when talking about it. There are multiple other cases where even someone who knows no Japanese can still tell that a line was significantly changed in such a manner. They also changed the names of most of the characters and locations for almost no discernible reason, other than maybe making things easier to pronounce for the VAs, so half the time when you hear a character name the text says something different. That part also inadvertently ruining a good deal of foreshadowing for people able to pick up on patterns in the names that don't exist in the English script.

All of the Blades and Titans have Japanese or otherwise east Asian sounding names. This implies the connection between Blades and Titans (that Titans are what Blades eventually grow into), that several characters are secretly Blades, and helps the setting feel consistent. In English almost all of the names were changes to various cultural sources so none of those links exist anymore.

It also ruins consistency with Xenoblade 1 where the Monado displays Japanese characters as it carries out different functions, and the Monado is a creation of the same person that created the Blades in Xenoblade 2.

Keep in mind that either way, a translator still has leeway with the script to "localize" things. They just have more leeway with a dub script because they don't need to take cases like the above into account. Any good translation will involve some form of localization, and I doubt either script will be an overly literal one given the Yakuza team's track record.

EDIT: Another example coming to mind is in Dragalia Lost, where the localized script actually heavily rewrites quite a few things. The English script tries to add more "punch" to a lot of lines, and it's really obvious when a line is way longer in English than the voiced dialogue could possibly allow for. I also remember in the main story in the scene where "basically everything goes bad", some characters are rewritten so heavily as to be saying the complete opposite of what they said in the Japanese script, probably because everyone in the Japanese script acts extremely dumb around that point.

Last edited:

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there's enough of a localization difference to warrant it, then I certainly approve.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of effort they're putting into this release is extraordinary for a localization. I'm really excited and I hope this really pays off for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been too interested in this game before just because I still didn't even play Yakuza 0, but this made me want to buy it.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
that's really cool of them to do, I'll definitely be playing with the spoken Japanese option. Would be awesome to see more devs doing this in the future

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
English to Japanese localizations should do this. Do it for movies too.

Is the audience of people who know enough Japanese to know the subtitles don't match the audio but not enough to just play in Japanese really big enough to justify the expense of localising a game twice?

It's much easier to come up with the subtitle dialogue than dialogue to fit a dub. You can probably come up with A on the way to B without it feeling like a huge amount of extra work.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to stick to the Japanese VO with whatever the default English subs are. The localization team has already nailed it with the recent Yakuza games and it's definitely how I want to experience the game first time through.

It's really cool that they're giving this option though!

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessarily a feature I would clamor for, but it shows an impressive understanding of the fan base and a real confidence in putting resources toward the game on SEGAs part.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
SoupyHomelyBittern-size_restricted.gif

I know a teeny bit of Japanese, and it's really annoying when you use the JP voice track and can tell that the localized subtitles do not exactly match what is actually being said.

Thanks for going the extra mile on this!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What sort of things feel off? I only really play games dubbed so I'm having trouble understanding what problems are being addressed here.
Sometimes localization change some name around. Xenoblade 2 did it I think. So when you play with japanese voice acting, the spoken name and the english subtitle don't match.

That might sounds not a big deal, but imagine watching those hyped anime moment where the character yell each other name like "Narutooo!!!!" And "Sasukeee!!!" But in the subtitle you see Steve and Tony or something.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
What's odd is that even some of the larger companies, like Netflix and Hulu, still get this wrong and you end up with (for example) Hunter X Hunter dub with japanese translated subtitles that don't match what the dub is saying 25% of the time. It's weird that no one thinks to ask this very basic question.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's cool of them.

But I feel like the amount of nerds (me included) who know enough japanese for dubtitles to annoy them such a minority that it's not even remotely worth it.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fantastic, I love how much care they put into their localisations.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am a fan of localization rather than direct translation, but that's awesome to give the option.