• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Edge.Maverick.600.410041.jpg
He eats snowboards and bleeds Mountain Dew.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
really not understanding the "basch fon ronsenberg is a super pretentious name" posts. that's a fairly bog standard "fantasy germanic" name; basch/bosch is a real name and ronsenberg just has like, an extra letter in it. fon instead of von. if anything it's kind of uncreative rather than over the top pretentious

What I'm getting from some of these posts is that if it's not English it's pretentious / bad. Be it Latin, German or French.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
It may sound good on English, even on Japanese, but to romance language natives it sounds so dumb.
Rex just means "King" to most of us.

dc90yxn-14b1558f-d251-45fd-9b13-4538e3a03e06.png
This is weird. Im spanish and while i know rex is king in latin, i dont feel its that hard to know it can be also male name in english so it sounds completely normal. If you actually told me it reminded you to a typical dog name i would understand, but the last thing i think when a character name is Rex is in King or the dinosaur.

And in xeno it would be fitting because Pyra is could be seen as excalibur, so... yeah, this is a weird stance to take.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
ITT I learned that people think Rex is a weird name. It's not common by any means, but I've known multiple people with the name.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
"If it's not English, it's weird and difficult to pronounce", the thread.

Seriously, most of these seem like perfectly fine fantasy names.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Seymour? More like Seymour better villains! Am I right? Okay see ya later...

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
Is it not pronounced like "sur-gay"?

As a name atleast. There's the fabric serge prounced as surge but I assume the character is using the name pronunciation.

If it's the French name it's kinda pronounced like surge (/ˈsɜrdʒ/). Sur-gay would be Sergei which is Russian.

Oct 27, 2017
Serge, Rex, Zidane and Seymour are all real names, and then there are the obvious european / germanic-inspired ones that aren't really amazing or anything, just a bit unimaginative.

Braev Lee though. Ringabel. Come the fuck on.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Xehanort. That name is beyond stupid sounding and sounds like the noise made when your nose is plugged up and you force the air through your nostrils so hard, you shoot out boogers. That or an alien from the planet Xubzub. "I am Xehanort! Take me to your leader, Earthling!"

I think he was supposed to be Exodus... Which is not much better
His name is supposed to be Exdeath in the original.

it's...a completely normal human name

would you prefer his name be Purvis Aster Longsquillion?
People probably wanted his name to retain the sorta elemental/weather-related/time-related theme of past FF characters. "Oh, he's name should've been Blaze Flarehart!"

Clive is a normal name, but people also forget we got a FF game (and OLD one) where the main hero was named Cecil. I think in the early years of a FF, names get mocked. That's how it was for Cloud back in the day (I do remember some FF fans saying how dumb the name was). You play games, years pass, and those names stop sounding dumb and just sound, well, part of the series. Cecil and Cloud don't sound strange in the context of Final Fantasy, and in due time, Clive will be among them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serge, Rex, Zidane and Seymour are all real names, and then there are the obvious european / germanic-inspired ones that aren't really amazing or anything, just a bit unimaginative.

Braev Lee though. Ringabel. Come the fuck on.

Ringabel at least isn't his real name. It's Alternis Dim which is obviously a lot better.🤭

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crono is his name. Not cHrono.

I think it's a bad name for that reason where everyone thinks the name is Chrono as that's the title of the series.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The entire fucking FF 15 cast. There are more but did they just use a fantasy name generator or something?

• Gladiolus Amicitia
  • Ignis Scientia
  • Prompto Argentum
  • Cor Leonis
  • Iris Amicitia
  • Aranea Highwind
  • Ravus Nox Fleuret
  • Regis Lucis Caelum
  • Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
  • Gentiana
  • Iedolas Aldercapt
  • Ardyn Izunia
Someone grabbed a Latin dictionary and just went wild. Always wonder how these names read to a Japanese audience.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
None compare to Philbright Westriverside Warehouserock XXVI. Weep from the knowledge that you cannot achieve such naming perfection.

zoneoftheenders.fandom.com

Phil

Philbright Westriverside Warehouserock XXVI (shortened to Phil(フィル Firu)) is a BIS driver from Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars. An effeminate young man, Phil is often mistaken for a girl and is mocked for such by Razma and Yukito. He drives the light armored vehicle Blade, which he upgrades...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Someone grabbed a Latin dictionary and just went wild. Always wonder how these names read to a Japanese audience.
Nomura's got a Latin fetish. Only name that doesn't sound strange is "Iris". Iris is the most normally casual name (there have been girls named "Iris") among them and is a name I could actually see existing in a previous FF game.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
This thread reminded me of going to GameStop way back and asking for Star Ocean 4 and the clerk goes, "Sure thing... EDGE MAVERICK!" Then he and his coworker just started cracking up.

I'm gonna go with Nooj. They must've wanted an awful name to match his outfit.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I was ready to come in here and refute the centra premise of the thread. But I can't. You're right. They're all terrible.