• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When you meet someone new do you introduce yourself with your full name?

• Yes. I am also quite popular I will have you know.

Votes: 64 26.0%
  • Yes but maybe that’s why I’m unpopular

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • Hell no

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Heaven no

Votes: 33 13.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Y'all maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed idk but I'm definitely not this guy

Screen_Shot_2020_11_10_at_6.26.09_PM.png

any time I reply to myself like that I'm doing it on purpose lol

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
When I lived in Latino America I did that, that's common from where I'm from. Once I move to the US I just introduce myself with my first name, second name initial, and my first last name. So I guess according to you my native country is not part of this planet.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I just realized that I can't think of a single time Charlie Brown has been called anything but "Charlie Brown". Peanuts is a long, long comic strip, I'm sure it's happened countless times, but nothing's immediately coming to mind.

Oct 27, 2017
It is common in my home country.

Like my name is four names. My name, my fathers, my grandfather and the family name. I live in Norway now and back in school they used to be confused when reading my name so I was being called by my father or grandfather's name some times.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
First thought when seeing the thread title. Knew from the get go that I would adore Magilou from this bit of dialogue.

She really is the best. She's kind of an incredible character because just on design and a description of what she's like you'd probably expect her to be almost a game ruining experience. Her design is obviously very weird, she's extremely loud and hyper, yet it all works.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
What if...the rest of the world actually does it and Americans are the odd ones by not using full names?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what the examples in OP made me think of lol.

It is weird in most cases, I suppose. Definitely with how it tends to happen in JRPGs. Like it's definitely normal depending on setting. Just not in the situations that usually show.

Edit: And yes, I know it's more normal for Japan. But for real, you think a character who just showed up to help you battle the big monster has the time before assisting you to ensure you know their full name? I don't know, there's just weird times for anything lol.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'd say it's probably a Japanese thing, since typically people will call you by your family name unless they're very close to you or know you very well. So it helps to know both at the beginning of a relationship.

Now I don't know if this is a time saving thing in games because of how accelerated getting to know someone is in a game, or if it's something people actually do regularly in Japan.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It is maybe more common here in Japan, but it depends on the context. At work people usually just go by their family name ("I'm Tanaka"), and in a casual setting they go by ther given name. Full name is rather formal. I'd argue is even more common in Latin America, or at least Mexico.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You think JRPG characters hold that crown?

LOL

If that was my name, I don't even think I'd be able to remember it, let alone enough to introduce myself to someone with it!

I think it's just one of those things I've gotten used to in JRPGs and anime, but I also think in certain settings, you may introduce yourself by your full name. Generally more formal settings? I also think it's a cultural thing in Japan to introduce yourself by your full name (I'm not an expert)

I can't think off of the top of my head the last time I had to introduce myself by my full name outside of maybe a work related function, where you were introducing yourself to other employees that you haven't met? Generally it's just first name with me in 99.9% of settings.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
Maybe it's just a narrative resource like thinking out loud and not exactly particular to JRPGs

Similarly this reminded of a scene in Wolfenstein 2 where the main villain says something like "William J. Blazkowicz, also known as Terror Billy!", in a way that to me felt directed to inform the player about the protagonist both his name and his nickname

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
I am Spanish and live in Japan, I always introduce myself full name in a professional setting, is quite common actually when someone new joins the lab. Like: Hi I am Luis Carretero and work in so and so, my project is..., If is a causal setting it can go either way just name or name and first surname (Spanish people have 2 surnames).

Or if I were in an JRPG would be Hi my name is Jakar Svendal the third, rector of L'Académie de Notre Maître des Médailles....

So yeah, it sounds normal to me, maybe not if the characters are kids, but not that weird. Also in Japan people put first their surname so they might introduce they selfs as "My name is surname name". so may be just a cultural difference.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"My name is Rhubarb Rhubarbarina"
"My name is Sinclaire. Sinclaire Ghirardelli."

or an actual example

"The name's Noel. Noel Kreiss." -Noel, Final Fantasy XIII-2

Why?

why does almost every JRPG do this

No one ON EARTH introduces themselves with their full name

What is up with this phenomenon

Does no one ON EARTH include Japan? You know, the country these games are made?

Its really not that hard to figure out when you stop thinking your customs are the center of the universe.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
This happens many times in the Trails of Cold Steel games, many times with the character's full title included as well, but one instance really stood out to me. (Note: I won't be using any real names or titles, because of spoilers and mostly because I don't remember the real names at all.)

Two sinister politicians are having a private, closed-door meeting. They clearly know each other very well, because they're in some kind of conspiracy. They're talking in that Xenogears-like way where they're emphasizing certain words but not being overly specific. And then, at the end of the scene - purely for the player's sake - one of them says something along the lines of "We'll be talking again soon... Vice-Secretary of Agriculture Hironimus von Doerffenheimer."

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a more iconic duo than Era and thinking your own culture is the only one which exists in the real world.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
In a business setting? It's the norm here in the Netherlands. In an informal setting it's only the first name.

It's probably a cultural issue though. I also have 3 first names (1 people actually call me and 2 I got when I was baptised). People in other countries don't seem to understand this though.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
In what country? In the US it's extremely weird.
Most if not all of europe?
A normal introduction is (first) first name and (first) last name, except in casual circumstances (which meating a complete stranger isn't)
If you happen to have middle names ot several last names, those are vey rarely used though.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I use my full name when I'm expecting a formal call or talking to a recruiter or something? This is really common in general.

zzzzz

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
It's normal to introduce yourself with your full name in a formal setting.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Fortunately the US isn't the capital of the world. Most people in my country introduce themselves with their full names in both casual and formal settings, and then referred to by their first names in casual settings and either titles + last names or just last names in formal settings

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not the last name that bothers me, it's the full camera pan from the thighs up to the head on every female character because you gotta check their Measurements when they join.

How else am I going to immerse myself into the world if I don't know every female character's exact measurements, favourite food and blood type?

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
In a business setting? It's the norm here in the Netherlands. In an informal setting it's only the first name.

I think that depends on how formal your place of business is. I've never uttered my last name in an office before, nor have I heard anyone do it. But maybe the guests that came in in suits looking all important did so... Can't say I've ever been part of those meetings 🤣.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I think that depends on how formal your place of business is. I've never uttered my last name in an office before, nor have I heard anyone do it. But maybe the guests that came in in suits looking all important did so... Can't say I've ever been part of those meetings 🤣.

Not even when you went for your interview?

I have to say I'm in pre-sales/consultancy so when you go to a (potential) client you usually have a formal introduction of yourself and the company. That might have skewed my views a bit.

Just looked it up btw: http://hetblauweboekje.nl/az/v/voorstellen/ the official etiquette is first and surname. And you should also mention your reason for existing according to that site.

"Hello, I'm Firstname Surname, and my parents had sex."

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the situation. An important party in a political war? Yeah, I need to hear the house name.
A flower girl on the street? First name will do.