• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wonder if they're making a new Superslim? It's not like Sony to immediately discontinue the previous gen.

PS4/Pro had been unavailable in Canada for MSRP for a long time now.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Thread title might be misleading as PS4 500GB Black and PS4 1T Black seem still be available.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
That'd be crazy. JP devs tend to support Sony systems for a while into a new gen. Just look at PS3 and Vita.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This Japanese PS4 production line was the one who was fully automated from start to end?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they're keeping the Pro models at all.

Not sure what the cost difference is, but the difference here between a Pro and a PS5 is so small it makes the PS4 Pro completely pointless. That said, I assume Sony make more money off a PS4 Pro sale.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised. Glad they're not ending production completely. Few models being manufactured probably makes it easier, especially for a system on its way out.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
During the springtime, I was actually interested in procuring a white PS4 Pro or a PS4 slim but they've virtually been sold out since then and I've never seen them in stock anywhere brand new at standard MSRP. I think, therefore, that these SKUs have effectively been discontinued since early 2020 and only now are we getting official confirmation.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a discount on the Pro, still want to pick one up as a secundary PS4.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a new SKU is coming if they are only stopping the white consoles? Seems like the Black 1TB Pro and possibly Slim model will be sold still.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
PS4 Pro discontinuation in Japan was announced on 10/28 after shipments stopped in September.

news.yahoo.co.jp

「PS4 Pro」の日本の出荷9月に終了していた PS5の生産強化のため(河村鳴紘) - エキスパート - Yahoo!ニュース

ソニーの家庭用ゲーム機「プレイステーション4 Pro(PS4 Pro)」の日本向けの出荷が9月に終了していたことが28日、明らかになりました。既に商品のホームページが更新されており、「出荷完了」の文

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It will hopefully be at some point, when all the Japanese stock stops being systematically sniped by bots. Problem is that these bots are setup by scalpers who resell for near 100% profits to other scalpers, who apparently then send the consoles off to China for further profit. And demand in China isn't going anywhere.
I'm actually curious to see how many single-user connections PSN is receiving from PS5s located in Japan.
The situation here is beyond absurd at this point.

Since I live outside of Tokyo, I don't have access to big shops such as Yodobashi - where every single console is only sold through lotteries anyways (where scalper groups compete too of course).
I tried snatching a unit for 3 weeks in December (digital or regular), using Twitter alerts, as well as religiously connecting to major online retailers every single day around the time SKUs were normally going on sale, mashing F5 for 30 minutes like there's no tomorrow. Best I could get to was seeing the "put in cart" button.
Trying to press it of course always ended up in a server error since I'm just a single person far outnumbered and outpaced by machines.

After the week 1 mark, it was basically a game, where the goal was achieving a purchase, rather than buying the item itself.
That got old, and I gave up. Fuck this shit. I've been able to buy every single console without problems in this country since the Gamecube in 2001. Every. Single. One. (Except the Xboxes)
For the longest time, it was just a matter of getting in a line early in the morning and grabbing info from available sources (mostly 2ch). But now, there's just no way. Switch was already a mess, but this is by far the shittiest launch I've seen in 20 years. I haven't even had the opportunity to see a PS5 in person.

I'll buy a unit when I can go to Amazon and simply click "buy" to get one at MSRP.
If my interest doesn't wane off completely before that. Because it is already largely gone.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
make senses. get rid of everything but the basic black 500GB slim model. the Pro should be completely killed off.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
This has been the case in Australia since mid-year. All versions of the PS4 had been discontinued except 500GB Black Slim and 1Tb Black Pro, but we weren't sure whether or not it was Covid-related production issues or planned obsolescence. (Or both.)

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense Pro is kind of useless right now, basic PS4 is fine and should get a price drop.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Cheese is rarely wrong in translation and he's spot on for this one.
The only potential for misinformation would be if that store mistook info from their distributor.