• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
jurassic-park-alan.gif

No.
What.

That's not real

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lost World is the second best movie of the franchise and nothing will change my mind.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i agree

only because the "heroes" in jurassic park 2 are dumbasses and are responsible for like every death in the movie

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't we have a discussion about this without "no your wrong" and "movie is trash" nonsense?

I swear, I can have discussions anywhere offline avoiding all of this crap, but log on and try and you get countless people using really needless language and posturing like their subjective opinion is truth.

Anyway....

I don't think either film is particularly good, but then I only watched them once at release and I honestly can't remember much of either. I should probably give them both a watch again to see what I think now. Good excuse to rewatch the entire series.....

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I've always thought it was universally agreed upon that TLW was the absolute worst. I don't think my family even owned it when I was kid. We all just skipped to Jurassic park 3 and didn't even count it as a real entry. Remember watching it once and it was god awful

Jp3 had some great moments. The one where the guy runs out in front of the plane begging them to stop has stuck with me a long time as one of the best scenes in the movie.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
OP, you have my sword. I always liked JP3.

I'ts not even in the same realm as the first film, but it's decent enough. The latest films make it look fantastic in hindsight.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm too big a fan of Jeff Goldblum to agree. Also, I don't think JPIII has a scene as good as the one with the trailer being knocked off the cliff by the T-Rex.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
JP3 has better dinosaurs and a less annoying plot, so...

While its pretty close I'd have to say yes. It's easily better than the two World sequels as well.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this movie and gif 1000 times and this is the first time I've noticed the raptors cute little hands resting on the seat in front of him.

See, this is why people hate on this scene so much. They're so distracted by the talking raptor, which raptor communication has been perfectly set up as the current driving force in Grant's research in previous scenes so it's natural he would have a nightmare like this, that they don't pick up on the tiny details of the raptor clutching the seat in front of it. Once your imagination fills in the gaps that are off camera all you can see is an adorable therapod riding in a plane with its seatbelt on and wondering if it's okay to recline its seat.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I am actually a huge Tea Leoni fan so I like 3 better.

But honestly they are both really bad and have some REALLY stupid scenes.

Sep 5, 2021
lol
I watched JP3 years ago and don't remember that much. What's the context of this scene? Is Alan Grant dreaming about intelligence of dinosaurs?!

I hadn't noticed that too, until this post!

In Jurassic Park III, Dr. Grant (unsuccessfully) coaxes Ellie's parrot to say his name, because of his interest in raptor vocalization and his belief that dinosaurs evolved into birds. This ties into the infamous "talking" raptor scene, where the raptor DOES say his name.

fqvwpcx29zr51.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nah TLW is better even despite some lows. JP3 isn't nearly as cohesive overall.

TLW has some great atmosphere and physicality to it. Julianne Moore is great, Goldblum, Postlethwaite, and even Peter Stormare getting merked by Compsognathus. It's even got my favourite quote for tall grass areas :p
I liked the ending because it calls back to the novel in how dinos did end up getting off island.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The truck sequence is better than anything in JP3.

TLW ain't great and tries some way to be a worthy follow-up to Jurassic Park, but it can't live up to it. But it's not without its creativity.

JP3 is pretty much completely resigned to be a goofy monster movie, that occasionally has to look in awe of the dinosaurs for like 1 scene. B-movie slashers are fun, but this isn't a great one.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't the spinosaurus snap the t-rex's neck like a kung fu movie?

They're both bad.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I. Love. The Lost World. JP3 is just ok which is sad because it could have been a great concept I think the cast and script isn't that great though.

Maybe a hotter take but I like every movie in Jurrasic World trilogy more than 3.

Last edited:

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He happens to be dreaming about a dinosaur and he interprets it as it talking as someone is trying to wake him up.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
In Jurassic Park III, Dr. Grant (unsuccessfully) coaxes Ellie's parrot to say his name, because of his interest in raptor vocalization and his belief that dinosaurs evolved into birds. This ties into the infamous "talking" raptor scene, where the raptor DOES say his name.

fqvwpcx29zr51.jpg
Thank you guys!

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
What's with Era's love fest over this movie suddenly? This is like the third or fourth "JP3 is underrated" thread over the last year or so.

The movie is trash. The whole thing looks cheap as hell. That opening paraglider scene was some of the worst green screen ever put to film. Half of the movie is so obviously filmed on a sound stage that it's distracting. Plot threads like Grant's protege possibly being up to something dishonest go literally no where. Character motivations are completely nonsensical.

Oh and this:

Alan Grant: "there is not a single force on this planet that could get me back on that island."
*3 minutes later*
The Kirby's: "we'll give you some money"
Alan Grant: "ok i'm in"

The only thing this movie has going for it is that it's mercifully short.

It's the worst of the Jurassic films, Fallen Kingdom and Dominion included.

Like a lot of relatively average movies which received a cold reception on release, time has been kind to the JP sequels in general and in this case it's boosted even further due to major disappointment with the new Jurassic trilogy.

Personally I enjoy them much more than the JW movies, which commit the biggest crime of just feeling soulless. LW and JP3 are super campy and character motivations are uniformly ridiculous, but some of the dinos are cool and both movies have some pretty great set piece action sequences.

Not to mention that given JP3's production in particular, it's amazing they released anything vaguely coherent at all.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of relatively average movies which received a cold reception on release, time has been kind to the JP sequels in general and in this case it's boosted even further due to major disappointment with the new Jurassic trilogy.

Personally I enjoy them much more than the JW movies, which commit the biggest crime of just feeling soulless. LW and JP3 are super campy and character motivations are uniformly ridiculous, but some of the dinos are cool and both movies have some pretty great set piece action sequences.

Not to mention that given JP3's production in particular, it's amazing they released anything vaguely coherent at all.

See, I find that to be an apt description of JP3: soulless. Clearly a film that was only made because there were still a few more dollars to be squeezed out of the franchise. It literally has nothing to say and has no reason to exist. And it's ambitions were nil.

At least with Lost World, there were clear ambitions to make it every bit as good as JP1, if not better. It failed in those ambitions, but at least it had them. Be it the arrival of the larger crew sent by InGen as they're all driving and capturing dinos, the caravan scene with the baby t-rex, the tall grass scene with the raptors, the compsognathus attacks, the T-Rex attack on the camp, and of course the T-Rex reaching San Diego...

Like, most all of those scenes were hugely ambitious. I actually find Lost World to be underrated, if anything. JP3 was just a soulless cash grab.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never stop saying this.

I'd rather watch the gymnastics scene a thousand times on repeat than watch JP3 once. JP3 is a poorly-funded, poorly-acted, poorly-created embarrassment and an offence to film making. And if you think TLW is somehow worse then you need to reevaluate your opinion on…well everything.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Lost World has several great setpiece scenes that still hold up. JP3 is a completely unremarkable, forgettable movie with almost nothing of note (which still makes it better than 2/3 of the World movies)

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I turned 12 on July 18th, 2001, the day JP3 came out.

I hyped it up from the moment I heard about it for the first time during teaser that dropped season finale of the first season of Survivor.

The first film blew my little 3 year old mind, then The Lost World did the same when I was 8.

I remember vividly walking out of the movie theater on that day in July 2001. I cried because I hated it so much.

I've since grown to appreciate it for the mess that it was, and have also found something to love about the World films, but at the end of the day, Jurassic Park is still a perfect film.

CaveGhostPurp

Jan 12, 2022
JP3 is legit the 2nd best of the Jurassic movies. Dumb fun that moves along at a nice pace and is only let down by an abrupt anticlimactic ending (budget issues?).

Loved Lost World as a kid but when I watched it as an adult it felt like kind of a mess. I enjoyed the San Diego bullshit but that's about it.

All 3 of the OG trilogy are better than the new ones though

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
My older brother took me and my other brother to see The Lost World when it was released and it was so unforgivably boring that my 9-year-old dinosaur-loving ass almost dozed off in the cinema. Jurassic Park 3 is a sloppy mess but at least there was some entertainment value in how crap it was.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
JP3 is legit the 2nd best of the Jurassic movies. Dumb fun that moves along at a nice pace and is only let down by an abrupt anticlimactic ending (budget issues?).

Loved Lost World as a kid but when I watched it as an adult it felt like kind of a mess. I enjoyed the San Diego bullshit but that's about it.

All 3 of the OG trilogy are better than the new ones though
JP3 was getting hit with script changes and rewrites literally while they were filming. It was a production mess. So many elements had to be cut or reused and framed for different purposes. It feels like a rushed disaster at several points because that's exactly what it is. Not without its charms, but clunky because it was flying by the seat of its pants.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I haven't really watched LW or JP3 in years but as a kid I enjoyed both of them. I just liked LW more, I think.

Plus it gave me a really ballin board game.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

The Lost World was boring, bad, wasted Ian Malcolm, and overlong.

JP3 was bad, but relatively short and fun.

Neither of them touch the original ofc.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as people shit on it, Jurassic World is basically the sequel that people wanted to Jurassic Park all along, and even if was done by a much lesser director, the fact that it more or less nailed that aspect of it was good enough.

JP > World > TLW > JP3 > Dominion > Fallen Kingdom

Actually to be honest FK and Dominion both suck, but I think I might like Dominion better just because it has OG cast characters.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JP3 knew what it was and didn't overstay it's welcome, I'm direct contrast to TLW.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I love JP3 and think the Spinosaurus is a great addition to the franchise. The Lost World was such a disappointment to me because I went into the movie having read the book not long before and the book is so much better than the movie it's not even funny.

I also felt like the whole San Diego section was dumb and pointless and the book ended far better.

Overall I like 3 aside from the Spino v Rex thing, which they could have fixed by having the Spino kill the Rex in water if they wanted to go that route.

Anyways, the Spino, aviary (which was a great part of the books) and the ending being a bit non standard were all things I enjoyed about the movie.

It's a shame they can't really bring the Spino back in the movie franchise without a vast majority of people wanting it murked by a Rex, it's a cool dino that has only gotten cooler scientifically since being in that film and has a ton of potential to be a great scary scene stealing monster when used right.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Hard agree.

Just from the wasted potential alone, I will never forgive TLW.
JP3 was just a fun romp and didn't try to be something it wasn't.