• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally I've had no issues with my launch day set (though I've heard many similar issues as yours, OP) but have you updated their individual firmware in the system options? If not, that might help?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Launch Switch owner here, left stick drift upward on 2 of them.
Still the best controller by such a huge margin since wiimote/nunchuck because of form factor not being like the usual handcuffs.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Back when I bought my Switch and was still caught up in the weirdness of it, I noticed I had issue with the JoyCon when separated from the device itself. Sent it in for repair and used the Pro controller. Now, I exclusively use the device in handheld or with the Pro. My question is, this drifting/disconnect issue, is it when the JoyCons are separate from the device or is it occurring as well in handheld mode? I wonder if I still have the issue.

Drifting and disconnections (or drops) should not be bundled together, as they're two different problems. Drifting happens as the result of the sticks wearing out over time. However the disconnections are intermittent and seem to wildly depend on the electrical equipment near your Switch.

Disconnections only happen when the joycon is in wireless mode. It never happens when it's physically connected to the Switch. I assume it stops sending through wireless and directly communicates input through the connector.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Joycons in general are amazing - but if you have faulty one you should get yours replaced.
They arent a full substitute for a Pro Controller though.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a switch, but played my cousin's during break. He's had it for over a year and I didn't really feel like it had any problems, except for when we took it on the go it had a little issue connecting.

Maybe you should make a poll. I'd be curious to see how many people are having/have had issues with their joycons.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
They're OK but feel cheap.

One thing I've noticed though is that if you're playing docked there can't be even minor obstruction between the joycons and the Switch screen or dock, not sure which one exactly as they'd be in the same place, or the connection gets screwed up and your inputs are off.

Reminds me of the Wii where you needed to point the Wii Remote right in the field of the sensor bar or it won't work/go haywire.

Can say the PS4 does not have this issue at all.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Joycons did launch with antenna issues. That's probably the problem. Nintendo started fixing it in newer runs, and they can fix it if you send them in. Only if the new joycons are within three months of purchase though.

You can improve it yourself with conductive foam. There's guides that aren't too hard to find. If you're comfortable soldering, there's also better antennas you can mod into them.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the connection issues are shit. My couch is approx 6-8 ft away from my TV, and the right joycon drops inputs like mad if I hold it in a certain way while laying down. The worst part, it doesn't just drop the inputs. It holds them and then sends them after it reconnects, sometimes a full 2-3 seconds after I press a button.

I like how they feel and split controllers are fun, but the connection issues are fucking wack.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. They're dog shit, I bought a pro controller day 1, annoyed I had to pay for joycons.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Never had issues with my joycons.

And yes, using them on their own is terrible but with a grip they're really comfortable.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They are easily my least favorite Nintendo controllers (and I usually love all their wacky ideas). Primarily it's a build quality thing. Since I got an NES in 1990, I've broken exactly 0 first party Nintendo controllers, and yet here I am on my fourth set of Joycons (which need to be replaced but are usuable) in less than two years.

They're also entirely too small, so small that it renders one whole game play mode (two players on one Switch each with a Joycon) basically unplayable.

Ergonomically I still prefer the pair to something like a Dualshock, but I think an Xbox controller has an edge over both.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
They suck to hold and after like 30 minutes off the system they sync really poorly and I have to press buttons multiple times for it to register. Very annoying.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're kind of shit. I've had 3 switches and all of them are loose in portable mode. I gave up trying to find one that doesn't wobble. The hori dpad one of the left is actually tight though, so that's cool.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Joycons have been great for me, though I hardly ever use them detached. Had my system since launch and primarily play handheld. Tv mode I generally use a pro controller that also doesn't have any problems for me but lots of people seem to complain about them. I think the build quality of the entire system is great.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Had this problem on the weekend when I pulled the joycons off of the system for the first time to play some 2 player stuff (usually use a pro controller).

Playing Tetris I was getting a mix of disconnects and heavy delay in button presses sitting no more than 10' away from the system.

Total bummer.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found them to be too small, very uncomfortable to use, so I immediately bought a Pro controller.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible you've got one from an early batch? I've never had any problems but I appreciate that's not everyone's experience. Joy cons have been my favourite ever controllers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually amazed that no one has made a 3rd party high quality joycon replacement.

But yes, the joycons are not good.
If they had everything the Joycons have in them (i.e. HD Rumble, gyro, NFC, IR camera), they would have to sell them at probably too high a cost to make it worthwhile. So the alternative would be to strip out all of that, at which point, there's hardly any point.

Oct 13, 2018
Switch Pro ain't that great either, though those can be fixed with a simple yet somewhat involved and annoying tape fix to correct one of the worst d-pads the industry has ever put out.

Eldainorn

Oct 29, 2017
Slovenia, Europe
I have noticed the same problem on one of mine also (can't remember if left or right currently, haven't played Switch in a while), but it disconnected only if my palm/fingers were covering joycon almost completely from all sides. Just had to hold it in a different way and it stopped disconnecting. Still sucks though. :/

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As soon as I tried the joycons I immediately ordered the pro controller, unfortunately that's not perfect either but I can at least live with it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I've really grown to hate them as well. Currently my switch is unplayable in handheld mode unless I run out and buy new joycons. Currently waiting for replacement parts to see if I can salvage my current ones. Also gotta replace the blue casing one of them as it cracked pretty easily. My daughter did throw my switch, but even then I didn't expect the plastic itself to crack. It's not even the joycon that won't stay registered as docked into the switch either.....:(. Wish Joycons weren't so expensive for a set.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the worst products Nintendo put out in regards to quality. Returned three sets in a row over two weeks just to get one which didn't have that problem. Mega unlucky in my case.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have no issue with the joycons, I prefer them to any other console controller because I can completely relax, I can't do that with my hands bunched up. I have large hands and I only get discomfort after a long time playing, and by the time that happens I should probably take an eye strain break anyway.

I too got mine on release day, no issues. Only issue is drifting and compressed air sorts that out.

Probably an unpopular opinion but Joycons are better than the Pro Controller.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Also, are people doing the re-calibrate thing that usually fixes this? I heard that solves the issue for many people.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My launch joycons kind of have issues now but I don't feel like replacing them so I'm just holding out for the first Switch redesign.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst console controller since N64.

Bad build quality, bad design of sticks and dpad, extremely uncomfortable to hold in split mode and handheld(without grips)

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Agreed - they are garbage. The issues they have are underblown, not overblown. It's tough to discuss it though because some fans get extremely defensive when it comes to the big N. I play all Switch games with a Pro controller (which has been fine) unless a joycon is required, of course.

Insaniac

Jul 27, 2018
I would say thats a little hyperbolic, but they do feel like the 'most prone to issues' hardware that i've used since the DS broken hinge issue.

My left joycon started experiencing drift a few weeks before warranty ran out so I got it replaced by Nintendo and has been the only issue i've dealt with regarding joycons. My launch Right joycon is still going strong. I've never had an issue with Joycon connectivity when the Switch is docked.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I have no issue with the joycons, I prefer them to any other console controller because I can completely relax, I can't do that with my hands bunched up. I have large hands and I only get discomfort after a long time playing, and by the time that happens I should probably take an eye strain break anyway.

I too got mine on release day, no issues. Only issue is drifting and compressed air sorts that out.

Probably an unpopular opinion but Joycons are better than the Pro Controller.

Do you have the AA battery pack grips? Not so much for charging, but to use them just for the larger size they have in your hands? They feel great...highly recommend for anyone that plays primarily split JoyCon.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped reading here. Not to say people don't have this problem, but most systems at launch have some sort of issues.

Anecdotal much? Here's a list of my systems that didn't have any issues at launch:

- NES.
- GB.
- SNES.
- GBC.
- N64.
- GBA.
- DS
- GameCube.
- 3DS
- Wii U

Those that did have issues:

- Wii (flashing/colored pixels)
- Switch (Desynching joycon)

How is that "most"?

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Joycons are fucking fantastic. Get yours fixed. They're defective.
Haha - calling controllers that clearly have a significant problem (do a simple search on google to see the massive complaints around this) "fantastic" is just spreading lies. Are you a Russian bot?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I want to love the joycon, I enjoy using them, but you're right OP... their QA is straight trash. They drop signal if you look at them.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
We own several joycons. One of them suffers a bad drift issue. Now I only buy non-joycons that we can use when Switch is docked. Problem is my kids always play undocked so we are basically frakked. I'm too lazy to blow dust out of the other joycons that so far have been working. So I am just praying the others last

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
I had a Switch at launch but sold it after I finished Odyssey and BOTWI. Left Joycon had the issues many speak of, and right one had the springy sound mentioned by another poster earlier. These were annoying, but never really bothered me or affected me much. Really only used them attached to the switch. I was at a friend's house and we played some Smash and Mario Party the other day, and I couldn't believe how horrible they were. My hands are average size, maybe a bit bigger, and it was an abysmal experience. I get there are alternate controllers, and the attachments to the tops you can get extras of, but just the controllers themselves were terrible for party play. Just so strange.

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Switch, but after buying a launch unit, I have no faith in Nintendo build-quality anymore.

Just cause it's the 1st batch, doesn't mean it's ok for $80 controllers to breakdown so fast. If they're not interested in making hardware that functions competently, then they don't need to make hardware at all.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
lol @ the downplaying of very real issues people are having.

Quit the warrior bullshit, and this is coming from someone who's primarily a Nintendo gamer and loves his Switch to death.

I've had some joycon issues, but nothing nearly as bad as some other people are having. My brother however has had way worse issues than me and ended up buying a new pair cuz they would always go haywire.

But I guess these are just "anecdotes".

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love split control design, but even after sending my right launch one to Nintendo, it still has connection issues.

Like I can't sit cross legged,
as my knee will cause it to have connection issues.
(as i relax my hands near my waist)

They're out of warranty now, will the foam fix the issue,
or am I screwed, as they were already supposedly fixed by Nintendo?
Never really had bad issues with previous Nintendo controllers. (owned all their systems since the Famicom)
The new Joycons I have seem to be better,
but still have had connection issues if I'm cross legged.
(Am about 6-7 feet from console)

Even my brothers new Smash Bros Switch has the line of site joycon connection issues, and he's about 6 feet away.

(all on latest firmware)

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
My left joycon's analog stick has a bit of twist in it and it started pretty soon after I got it. I think I damaged it while playing Splatoon 2 and pressing it in, which I should say now is probably by least favorite button to use for anything. Clickable analog sticks are annoying, I wish they'd had extra paddle triggers or something. That's my only major bummer with them so I guess I should consider myself reasonably lucky.

Guess this is more relative to general build quality rather than connection but that's my experience.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'm considering getting a Switch eventually, what's the experience playing games that require motion controls like Arms or Mario Party if you only use the Pro controller? Can you use it for those?