• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Bought my Switch on release day and immediately I noticed the issue with the left one losing signal. Now almost two years later and I'm still having issues with a pair I just bought during the holidays. Keeps disconnecting. And it wasn't only mine. The joycons from my sister's switch were also losing connection while we were all playing Smash. I don't think we were more than 15 feet away from the tv. That to me is terrible quality, considering the pro controller works like a charm and is cheaper.

So far this is my biggest problem with the Switch. Has anyone else encountered these connection lost problems?

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not since the launch versions no, the rest have been fine. As far as I was aware that problem has been fixed for a while. However I do agree that joycons have terrible build quality overall, just because they're subject to a lot of little problems.

Edit: Maybe it has to do with your Switch? Though you did say the Pro Controller works.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
yep my left one used to go haywire, but after sending it off to get fixed I've not really had any problems since

Shortiloe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sorry to hear that. Never had issues since launch. Maybe there is too much in the same room requiring a connection?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not since the launch versions no, the rest have been fine. As far as I was aware that problem has been fixed for a while. However I do agree that joycons have terrible build quality overall, just because they're subject to a lot of little problems.
All of the Joy Con I've purchased since day 1 have had the same issues my launch set did. Including a pair I picked up late this year.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. They go bonkers and in addition are way too small for even someone with medium sized hands. Still contend they are the worst controllers ever made (for one of the big console systems)

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I am actually amazed that no one has made a 3rd party high quality joycon replacement.

But yes, the joycons are not good.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate that my left joycon hasn't fit tightly into my Switch since the first week I got the console. It's loose and it's movement is distracting while playing in portable mode.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't had an issue with my launch joycons or my Mario Party ones.
So I guess Joycons are perfect?

Xomon

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
I haven't had any connection issue, but my month-old right Joycon makes a springy sound when I move it to the right. It is annoying but still functions normally so far.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yup my right joycon from my Super Mario Odyssey bundle keeps either delaying or entirely dropping inputs randomly once in a while. How do you mess this up? Surprising that this comes from Nintendo, who are usually very cautious about controls in all aspects of their game and hardware. How did they not catch this in test labs where multiple Switches co-exist with tons of other interfering hardware?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with them for what they are. They're better than any other Nintendo handheld, but worse than any Nintendo console.

The absurd price definitely pushes them over the edge into bad territory.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that my left joycon hasn't fit tightly into my Switch since the first week I got the console. It's loose and it's movement is distracting while playing in portable mode.

If you are interested i've replaced the plastic parts that click with the switch screen by metal ones and the joycon is not loose anymore, there are some kits on amazon or whatever sites.

The only thing is maybe these parts were made in plastic to avoid to much stress on these points in case of the switch falling and hitting the ground. Anyway i could not stand the loosiness so... Mine was loose after my daughter dropped it very hard.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They're notorious for connectivity issues. I haven't had any, myself - at least, not the common one. When docked my left joycon will charge but it keeps getting disconnected from the system. It works fine wirelessly. Go figure.

Both also rattle a little bit and just feel cheap.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back when I bought my Switch and was still caught up in the weirdness of it, I noticed I had issue with the JoyCon when separated from the device itself. Sent it in for repair and used the Pro controller. Now, I exclusively use the device in handheld or with the Pro. My question is, this drifting/disconnect issue, is it when the JoyCons are separate from the device or is it occurring as well in handheld mode? I wonder if I still have the issue.

Oct 29, 2017
I've never had as many problems with a controller as I have had with the left Joycon. The price of replacing it only adds insult to injury.

The Pro controller, in contrast, has been wonderful. It is my favorite controller of this gen.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the technical issues they suck. Trying to use split joy cons gave me boneitis and I'm someone who loves the Wiimote + Nunchuck , they are just too small/short and the sticks suck. Not to mention how expensive they are for the bad build quality.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Agree, between four different sets on three different Switches, I've had connection/drifting problems on left/right Joy-Cons. For how expensive they are it's ridiculous the build quality on these things. My Xenon 360 lasted longer than this shit. Anecdotal evidence and small sample size, yes, but that's a hell of a failure rate for my examples.

Thank goodness I play with the Pro/Hori Wired controllers most of the time.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They are the worst. Switch Owner since launch.

- I still have connection issues despite getting them replaced
- All four of mine fail to latch anymore.
- The Rz button on one of my joycons just stopped working.
- They frequently disconnect from the switch when attached to the screen.

Nintendo is usually spot on with making durable and functional hardware but the joycons are trash.

Last edited:

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes they are. But be careful. You might get ambushed like I did in another thread for mentioning the shit ergonomics. ;)

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
I just wish they were more durable. Clicking analog for sprint absolutely destroyed the stick's deadzone over time.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
After multiple sets of Joycons, I agree.
Joycons are irredeemable garbage, It's kinda shame they bundle this with the console and there's still so many QA issues with them after so long.
Pro Controller on the other hand is god-sent.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're uncomfortable crap even when they're working as intended. There are just too many compromises in their design to accommodate the hybrid nature of the Switch.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I have a launch Switch with launch JoyCons and never once had an issue.
Your anecdote does not a poor product make.

Lucky you. I bought mine for xmas and the left joycon keeps drifting. The fact that this keeps popping up and I even googled and others echoed an issue IS an issue. ALSO, given that they are $70 for a pair, this is an annoying occurrence.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the "Switch" in Switch just meant switching SD cards between a 150$ console with a good standard controller and an actual pocket-size 250$ handheld. I know the Switch-defense force thinks differently about it, but to me the joycons and the dock are overpriced trash.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
My launch and later-buy pairs are pretty irritating - they often go haywire and enter joystick inputs I'm not pressing. Navigating menus is annoying as sin. Agree they're pretty poor, in my experience.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Their not bad to me. I didnt have the disconnection problem. The problem i had with my joycons were the left analog stick drifting. happen a couple of months after purchasing my switch.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My hands are too big for them and the dpad buttons suck. Feel like it was designed for a kids hands. Thankfully the pro controller fixes everything wrong with them, aside from analog triggers and reduced portability but I use it as a home console 99% of the time.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My launch ones did this, but my others are fine.
I find my launch ones work a little better when used with the dog-face-controller grip or with the bumpers attached to them.

They're still my go-to way to play Switch games, personally despite owning a Pro Controller and a variety of 8bitdo controllers.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
They are absolute GARBAGE and I wish that nintendo would get their feet held to the fire over these things. BOTH sets of mine drift. And I don't live in a desert somewhere and take pretty good care of my electronics. No, this is a fucking DESIGN FLAW in these $70 pieces of shit. I adore the switch but the joycons are a nightmare.

I'm pretty much just fighting drift anytime I touch the system now.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Joycons are fucking fantastic. Get yours fixed. They're defective.
Eevery Joycon I've ever owned was defective. That's 8+ Joy Con that have went to shit including every single one Nintendo has fixed and sent back to me (they just break again).

Yeah that's FANTASTIC!!

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I have a launch Switch with an extra pair of launch JoyCon, and have never had an issue with any of them. Love 'em.

EDIT: My $170 Scuf Vantage PS4 controller, on the other hand, has had some serious issues. The right trigger triggers itself all of the time, and I did not adjust it to make it more sensitive. Pushing RB constantly triggers RT. WTF. Sorry for the off-topic rant.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They do seem to have a very un-Nintendo like failure rate. They also just don't feel very sturdy. I have a grip for my Switch when I use it handheld, to give it a bit more heft because I have big hands, and taking it on and off always feels a bit iffy.