• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

RQTAOu4.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | PS4
Opencritic

IGN 6/10
Journey to the Savage Planet is a game with a lot of nice ideas – trying to single-handedly twist a well-worn genre into new and exciting shapes – but ultimately doesn't quite have the courage to commit to them. There's a lot to enjoy, particularly in its opening hours, but for all its grand ambitions, Savage Planet ultimately falls back on tired ideas to see it through to an underwhelming end. Like the ship you're trying to repair throughout, it's an admirable thing, but it can't quite nail the landing.

Destructoid 8.5/10
Journey to the Savage Planet was such a fun way to kick off the decade, and I'm going to bring it up at the end of the year when people inevitably begin asking about the overlooked gems of 2020. If you want something light and breezy with an intoxicating collectible-based feedback loop, here you go.

Game Informer 8/10
Journey to the Savage Planet presents you with a well-constructed world full of fun collectibles to hunt down and interesting wildlife to survey, but the way the world design encourages and rewards exploration is its biggest accomplishment.

USGamer 2.5/5
Journey to the Savage Planet puts you in a brilliantly colorful world, and tasks you with exploring to your heart's content. The moment-to-moment exploration is enjoyable, but the act of combat offers very little in the way of a challenge. The score and insane FMV adverts give Journey to the Savage Planet a lot of personality, but the tiresome parody nature of the writing really lets it down.

Eurogamer Recommended
But good grief, there's something so special about being untethered this way, free to float and stomp and cheese my way around this remarkable place, poking my head into the nooks and crannies as I meander along, admiring the friendly fauna I pass by. I don't know why EKO's so keen for us to find the fuel and get home. I'm pretty sure I never want to leave here.

Spieltimes
Journey to the Savage Planet finds greatness from the gameplay design in its DNA and its laid-back atmosphere, hitting the marks in these areas thanks to a smartly smaller scope.

Karak - Buy

Wccftech 8/10
Anybody pining for more Metroid Prime needs to put Journey to the Savage Planet at the top of their list. The game has a few rough edges and its sense of humor might not be to all tastes, but it captures that inviting, adventuresome Metroid spirit better than anything I've played in a while. This Savage Planet will pull you into its orbit if you give it half a chance.

Unranked Podcast

Last edited:

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it wayyyy more than I thought I would. The fact that it's so condensed and boiled down the essentials was so crucial. Just wish the story had been stronger. My thoughts can be found here!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The visuals of this game look supremely up my alley. I hadn't really paid attention to this at all, but this looks very good.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Like none of the several Reviews I read even touched on performance... anyone got word on the PS4 Pro performance?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the game is only like 6ish hours for a first playthrough? Seems maybe a bit light on content for $30

Played over 20h of it at this point, did most of what the game had to offer and had a lot of fun with it, despite the combat not being on par with exploration and puzzle mechanics.

Here's my review (in Brazilian Portuguese), gave a 7.75/10
Do you have any idea how long did it took you to finish the critical path?

Last edited:

dp4200

Oct 15, 2019
Feenix I played on PS4 Pro and it was smooth except for a few drops during some combat encounters. My co-op partner's experience on base PS4 wasn't terrible, but the drops were more frequent. Hopefully the day one patch irons out the performance issues.

dp4200

Oct 15, 2019
So apparently the game is only like 6ish hours for a first playthrough? Seems maybe a bit light on content for $30

Critical path took me between five and six hours but there are still tons of places to explore and things to collect once the credits roll.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love the artstyle of this so much! Played the demo at EGX last year and instantly fell in love with it. Looking forward to grabbing it when I can!

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

I explored a bunch before hitting the more narrow last third of the game, I think I had over 12 hours of playthrough when I first finished

I imagine you can for sure hit credits in 5 or 6 hours if you go straight to the designated goals, but the game has a few main objectives and that critical path is just one of them

If you love exploring the enviroments gathering resources and upgrades while solving enviromental puzzles, you should spend more than 6h to get to credits

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it took probably 10-12 hours.
Critical path took me between five and six hours but there are still tons of places to explore and things to collect once the credits roll.
I explored a bunch before hitting the more narrow last third of the game, I think I had over 12 hours of playthrough when I first finished

I imagine you can for sure hit credits in 5 or 6 hours if you go straight to the designated goals, but the game has a few main objectives and that critical path is just one of them

If you love explorating the enviroments gathering resources and upgrades while solving enviromental puzzles, you should spend more than 6h to get to credits
Thanks everyone!

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

I believe i clocked just over 8 hours, though there is plenty of secrets and things to discover beyond just the main quest if you want to extend that time.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It definitely looks like my type of game with everyone saying its for the explorer types. How would you guys compare it to Outer Wilds?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching video walkthroughs of the opening segments and as a fan of crafting/survival games in general, I thought it looked absolutely spectacular. From the colorful, technically gorgeous visuals, to the completely irreverent tone.

Kinda worrisome that reviews are saying it doesn't carry through on the back half.

Will wait an see.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is a blast. Thanks for posting mine.
Disappointed to see its really gone under the radar for many I guess.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Talked to 4 others who played it and no one thought the enjoyment trailed off. But see it here on a couple of official reviews. Eh each to their own.
For the price felt more than fair.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't keeping up with this game, but glad this is not just some walking simulator.

ACG review made me interested in it now, but way too many to play rn :/

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a solid first effort. Might get it down the line, too many games to play atm.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"Anybody pining for more Metroid Prime needs to put Journey to the Savage Planet at the top of their list. The game has a few rough edges and its sense of humor might not be to all tastes, but it captures that inviting, adventuresome Metroid spirit better than anything I've played in a while. This Savage Planet will pull you into its orbit if you give it half a chance."

can anyone else vouch for this prime comparison?????

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
"Anybody pining for more Metroid Prime needs to put Journey to the Savage Planet at the top of their list. The game has a few rough edges and its sense of humor might not be to all tastes, but it captures that inviting, adventuresome Metroid spirit better than anything I've played in a while. This Savage Planet will pull you into its orbit if you give it half a chance."

This came up in the preview thread:
Game doesn't just have "Metroid Prime elements" -- it pretty much is Metroid Prime. Won't say too much more, but it's scratching some itches. Oh, also, the game now looks quite a bit better than any of that E3 2019 footage.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the "I swore this was coming to Game Pass, but I'm not sure why" camp haha. i think I'll wait for it to show up there, 505 Games tend to move over pretty quick.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

In terms of exploration, sure. But in terms of the systems at work, I feel like that's a much looser comparison.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i just watched this for a bit (i don't need to watch the whole thing, to avoid spoilers) and i'm down for a game like this that is "more Metroid Prime" -lite. I'm glad it's only $30.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019