• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Can I get some help with the Shocking science experiment? I have to shock 4 things and then kill them in 3 seconds. I went to the starting area near the ship where the pufferbirds are. I throw some bait, try to get 4 together and then zap them with the electric fruit and then shoot them with my charged shot but it never works. Any ideas?

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Just wrapped up the game, clocking in at 15 hours, and 100% completion. (To be fair, a good hour plus of that was probably leaving the game idle as there is weirdly no 'pause')

Really enjoyed my time with it. The world was just so much fun to explore, especially once you unlock a few more of the mobility upgrades - double jump and grappling hook being the two key ones. Movement always felt great, and really made the last handful of hours where I was just hunting down collectibles some of the best time spent with the game. The environments also capture a look you don't typically see in modern games - as there was just a ton of color being used. Everything was so vibrant. The level design also played a huge part in making that 100% run something I actually wanted to undertake, as there were only a handful of times where I felt like the game was being too obtuse in it's layout.

Typhoon also was (mostly) smart about making it pretty straight forward to tackle that 100% run. Most of the collectibles you eventually unlocked the ability to 'ping' in the world making it easier to find. As long as you are mostly diligent about scanning stuff - it's not a lot of mindless busy work. I only had to look up a handful (less than 5) thing I missed for scanning.

Biggest gripes are the combat still, it's just not rewarding or engaging. And at least on a controller it felt like it was missing some aim assist, or needed a lock on or something - everything moved too quick in combat. Some of the later enemy types that force you to use the "bombs" you unlock give some tactical planning, but it was all just a bit too straight forward and just a bit too "loose" for it to really click. That being said, I wish I'd have just used bombs all the time instead of when the enemy made me use them. As part of my clean up on collectibles, the few times i had to engage with combat I just dumped bait and shock and acid bombs and things just melted. Still not engaging, but at least it was quick.

The comedy aspects also never _really_ landed? Like I definitely chuckled a few times, and I preferred it to what would have been the alternative of super serious, or less obviously tongue in cheek, but it really felt mostly like background noise most of the time. And unless you are tracking down some of the collectibles, the ending just kind of trails off. I didn't really get a resolution to the main thrust of the story until after I went back and finished another two side quests which filled in the gaps. Story was never really going to be the draw here, but I hope if Typhoon gets another crack at this series they maybe integrate some of these beats more into the critical path. Overall the comedy and narrative were fine - not the best part of the game, and not the worst part. Which is a shame because they definitely seem to be leaning hard on the "OVER THE TOP COMEDY" in the marketing, when what really sold me was "LESS SERIOUS METROID PRIME".

Definitely recommend checking it out though. I mean, I did spend 15 hours with the game, hunt

Can I get some help with the Shocking science experiment? I have to shock 4 things and then kill them in 3 seconds. I went to the starting area near the ship where the pufferbirds are. I throw some bait, try to get 4 together and then zap them with the electric fruit and then shoot them with my charged shot but it never works. Any ideas?

I always ran into the issue that not everyone was getting zapped, ended up just spamming a couple of the shock bolt things to make sure everyone was zapped and then opened up. I also used the 'Repaired Teleporter' in the third area as 4 pufferbirds spawn in the immediate area around the teleporter making repeat attempts a bit easier.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, has any info been posted about the frame rate on Xbox One X?

Can't find anything on the web!

Just finished it tonight on One X. I didnt 100% it (yet) but landed 88%, so I've seen most of it. Frame rate seemed realy solid throughout.. I didnt go looking for issues or try and analyze it, but not once did I encounter any sort of issue that I can recall. And multiple times I thought to myself "hey, this is running really nice".

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice for the main(?) boss?
the planet seed guy. I can do the first two stages ok, but that third he covers the three rear platforms in lava AND smashes down the front pedastools. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I quite liked the game. The shooting definitely needs some work, but the traversal mechanics are great.

Only (and massive problem) is that they need to give an option to disable those videos. Towards the end I was dreading going back to the spaceship. :|

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Finished it over the weekend and can't say I enjoyed my time with it, only saw it through because it was relatively short.
Bought this because I'm usually a sucker for exploration-heavy games, love scanning/cataloging things and Metroidvania elements were a plus as well. However, there's barely anything interesting to find or uncover here, it's highly repetitive (gameplay, music, videos, gags...), lots of copy/paste in every regard, shooting feels mediocre at best, the humor is just awful plus the game crashed twice and UI bugs occured all the time.
I really liked the look of the world, boss fights and some of the mobility, but overall it left me really disappointed, unfortunately.

Last edited:

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
the planet seed guy. I can do the first two stages ok, but that third he covers the three rear platforms in lava AND smashes down the front pedastools. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

Just keep moving running / jumping, there always seemed to be a safe space when I tried it (just yesterday). The other thing that helped me was bombagranets... you can keep getting a supply against the back walls in those cocoon things. Hold it down for 2 seconds then lob, it should explode and take out a bunch of weak points on the boss quickly.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
This game is fucking great, I need more stuff like this.

I really enjoyed a lot of it, but for me the shooting part felt really off, and I was frustrated by it more than a few times. I can't be that bad since I finished the game (and am going to go on to 100% it), but if there was something they were going to change or update, it would be the aim assist I feel. Perhaps on PC with M/KB it is way better, but on GamePass with a controller, it wasn't wonderful.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep moving running / jumping, there always seemed to be a safe space when I tried it (just yesterday). The other thing that helped me was bombagranets... you can keep getting a supply against the back walls in those cocoon things. Hold it down for 2 seconds then lob, it should explode and take out a bunch of weak points on the boss quickly.
I JUST finished it this am, and I was having issue until I upgraded gun damage to level 2 and the bomb damage to level 2 should be much easier, Youll need to be level 2 in your field research, good luck

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely loving this game and it came out as a surprise. It's funny, cheerful, and the sense of exploration is one of the best I've seen in any recent game. Some people are calling it budget NMS clone, or Subnautica on land...both are wrong. As this game has very clear objectives and goals, and doesn't overwhelm you with materials and crafting. It also has proper story and dialogue.

However, I have two major issues with the game:
1) Performance: The game is very inconsistent here and at times I'd get 100FPS while looking at a sprawling area, but others I'd get 50 when looking at something much less. Gsync also doesn't seem to work and it feels very choppy (I tried fullscreen as well as borderless, I also have correct settings in nvidia control panel)

2) The UI is all wack, some things require F to confirm, some things require enter to confirm. Some things require Esc to go back, some things require backspace to go back. Sometimes things just simply don't work in menu and you have to click somewhere else int he menu and then press the designated button for it to work.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
stupid that there is no type of map. it kills my desire to go back and explore previous areas after gaining a new ability.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
stupid that there is no type of map. it kills my desire to go back and explore previous areas after gaining a new ability.

I loved the lack of a map. The areas are not that big
and they already point out exactly where everything is with upgrades and the secret nearby hints.
If they added a map on top of that there would be no exploration left, which is the best part of the game.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017

This initially bothered me, but I noticed that the "Global" quests all showed the number of collectibles in each area. Along with later skills you can unlock which will 'ping' the collectibles in the world - the lack of a map didn't really bother me.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Very bad bug- my controllers no longer work with the game (PC)

Anyone experiencing this?

edit- PSA- this is an EPic game store bug.. I updated store on my main PC and that's when this bug occurred.

I tried the game on laptop and was able to use my controller.. It turns out my launcher needed an update on my laptop.
I ran the update and now I have the same issue on my laptop as well.. I don't think this is a coincidence.

edit- New update this morning seems to have fixed the problem.

Last edited:

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
What was everybody's favorite commercial? I liked most of them bit the two standouts were Meat Buddy and Wedgie Burger. Those actually made me laugh out loud.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anything about what kind of new content we can expect in later updates? Here they just mention new content is coming..

I hope we get an ownable (not streaming exclusive) sequel at some point. There was a lot of good here that just needed a few adjustments and some refinements.

Alex Hutchinson mentioned some ideas in his EDGE column like I included in the OP but that's all we know.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Alex Hutchinson mentioned some ideas in his EDGE column like I included in the OP but that's all we know.

It is pretty much a finished product, so I'm not convinced adding an extra area will in any way elevate the experience, but we'll see what they have in mind later on then. It would probably be best saved for the sequel as with most DLC for these types of games.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Played up to the incomplete ending, but due to the combat I think I'm done. It took too many upgrades for the gun to be really effective as the recharge delay made things like the pikemanders a bit of a chore. Also, the Alien Alloys are extremely well hidden to the point where there is little chance of me finding them all.

Good fun, and the humour wasn't too grating but I could how some might be put off.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying my time with the game so far but that game REALLY needs some kind of item wheel... I don't even have the utility belt upgrades yet and scroling through all the items with left and right on the D-Pad is already super annoying...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
505 posted that they added DX12 support to the PC version that can bump performance 20-50%:

savageplanetgame.com

Game Update (PC) - Direct X 12 Support - Journey to the Savage Planet

Greetings, explorer! Today we’re deploying a helpful update that will add experimental Direct X 12 support for our PC player base. Depending on your hardware, use of Direct X 12 mode could result in a performance boost somewhere in the ballpark of 20 to 50%. Don’t say Kindred never does...

Anyone try it yet? I'm on 1X (which I hope they add a performance mode to -- looks great in 4K but I'd like some more frames).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Boy, this Shocked experiment is kinda garbage. The feedback on if they're shocked or not or what went wrong is really bad.

Oct 27, 2017
The shooting mechanic is starting to grate on me.....especially the 5 hr reload animation that always seems to happen at the worst possible time. Shooting in general just doesn't feel solid. Makes certain battles and enemy types very tedious. Other than that, i love the game.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Has anybody had any issues on Xbox One X with it shutting down due to overheating? It keeps happening randomly to me and it's only ever happened with this game. Sometimes I play for 10 minutes and it happens, sometimes I play for 2 hours and it doesn't.

I've checked the vents for dust and all seems fine. It's annoying as I'm enjoying the game but having a random chance of my console turning off is making me not want to play it.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody had any issues on Xbox One X with it shutting down due to overheating? It keeps happening randomly to me and it's only ever happened with this game. Sometimes I play for 10 minutes and it happens, sometimes I play for 2 hours and it doesn't.

I've checked the vents for dust and all seems fine. It's annoying as I'm enjoying the game but having a random chance of my console turning off is making me not want to play it.
My X was turning off with Minecraft. Did a search and someone suggested a factory reset, which I've done. There's an option to leave your games/apps installed to save you redownloading them. Worth a bash?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Boy, this Shocked experiment is kinda garbage. The feedback on if they're shocked or not or what went wrong is really bad.
one of my big criticisms about the game is several of the experiments are really finnicky. At least with the shock one you can just use the cave by the ship and teleport to a spot with the shockplants and back if you keep messing up. The jelly-bile on 2 enemies one was a mega slog because the best places for it werent super close to a warppad to reset things with.

a lot of upgrades that i think are kind of key to the game (like the movement ones!) are tied to them, and instead of encouraging me to try out the different tools in my toolbox (which i think is the intention) it felt more like "those seeds you're already using? use them in a super specific scenario thats a pain in the ass to pull off"

Oct 27, 2017
Game was great until the final boss battle which makes the horrible shooting mechanic impossible to ignore. Youre required to zoom all over the place and shoot with extreme precision all while dealing with many different environmental hazards all while also dealing with things shooting at you. Making things worse is the reload time when you run out of shots which is far too long.

After 10 or so tries and getting close all to get fucked everytime by either the slow ass reload while im getting attacked or the aiming and shooting which feels imprecise for a battle like this, i said fuck it and deleted the game. If they patch in an easy mode or some way not making the shooting stuff so infuriating when it needs to be precise, maybe ill come back and finish it.

If not, far too many other games out there to play

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Ok, just got this with the discounts on Epic Games Store and I'm loving it.

Very nice design of the world and I'm really enjoying the progressive structure of the game.

Go check it, especially if you like Metroid Prime-like progression and exploration.

PlayerReady

Oct 31, 2017
Really disappointed with this game, I think the trailers were misleading. Not finding it fun at all, got on release and gave up near the end. The game feels too clunky and the combat is so bad, nothing really stands out.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Did the update break the co-op in this? I started replaying this in co-op (on Xbox instead of PS4 this time) and we can start the game well enough, but when at some point we quit and resume next session, we're stuck on an endless loading screen. We've tried it a couple of times and started over with the same result. First play session is fine, but in the second we can't connect again.

And did anyone try the DLC?

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention that the normal game has added a much needed lock on feature and even extra auto aiming, with a box highlighting when you're close enough to hit. Really cool of the developers to add this!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tried out the DLC and at first i was excited for more JTTSP, but the new drone enemy that can easily shred your health and so far only appears in arenas covered in toxic waste quickly got on my nerves. I feel like people who were struggling with the combat in the main game are not going to have any fun with the DLC based on what ive played so far

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i just finished it. it was... fine? they seemed to have looked at how annoying the final boss of the main game was and decided to just do that again but make it so much more annoying. kind of a bummer all things considered

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it was just alright. They for whatever reason double downed on the combat (which i thought was fine in the main game but not the main draw) and skimped on the exploration/platforming (which is why I love the game). I wished there were more sections like the Chasm of Eternal Suffering or whatever that area where you need to jetpack around the electrified spikes and vines was called and less cramped combat arenas dealing with waves of drones/pikemanders. Also kind of a bummer the water boots got played up in the trailer but its only used for a few kindex entries and optional postcards right by the start of the DLC.

The personality was still on point, Kronus was funny as a character, and at the end of the day im still exploring some alien planet while twangy banjo music plays so I had fun with it. Just not as much fun as I wanted to have

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I need help. I'm in the mushroom area, after you defeat the three "teleporting" creatures you need to shoot in their tails (two weak spots), behind a bombable wall in the cavern there's a living plant I need to open, but I don't know how. If I scan it I receive a message to look for hints nearby, but I found nothing in the cavern.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Colourful alien world FPS with a focus on exploration, I should give this a go. With the Epic coupon, it's now £14 so not bad price.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
What are the requirements? I'm only a few hours in so I obviously don't have all the gear and stuff...

We have to start a co-op game, revive eachother, slap eachother and we have to kill the first boss, Cragclaw. I have a save right infront of the boss, and unlocked the teleporter near him. All you need is the hook thing to get up there. If you have that it should be pretty fast.