• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Look at these comments 🤣 man it's feeling like 2012/2013 again. Let the cycle renew, I'm hype af for next gen.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They will be more powerful definitely. After the PS4 debacle, MS will never want to concede the power advantage again, since they had always been able to crow about it from the start of their move into the console scene.

"More advanced"? Not happening. They will both be using the same architectures, processes and GPU CPU combos even most likely. maybe the scarlett will be clocked higher or something like that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I believe it. They did not enjoy the PS4 having better performance last time. That 900p on Xbox made them mad. I'm about games though so whichever has the games I want is where I'll be most likely.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it. The Xbox One X was an incredible feat.

I hope Microsoft keeps their backwards compat initiative full steam ahead, been loving the original xbox and xbox 360 additions
Yup, allowing for all this backwards compatibility that the Xbox One currently has on launch day would be amazing.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't trust this source, but it does seem likely. That feels like the only strong card they can play at this point. The current install base for PS4 combined with the fact that it will be BC means that MS has an uphill battle even if they do edge them out in the power battle.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
X is more advanced than any console on the market
Still 3rd place every month virtually since launch in the USA which is their stronghold
Exactly, most powerful console is over rated. MS had the weakest and most powerful console this gen yet they are paddy last. With B/C the lions share of gamers will choose PS5 especially with superior 1st party exclusives from Sony. Games win the gen and Sony covering all angles with the SSD, B/C and Ray tracing.
Microsoft at E3 2019: "Up to 16K resolution!!!"
Sony at PSX, Can play Tetris up to 32k!

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way that either party know enough about each of the devices to confidently say one is more advanced or not.
Once detailed specs are floating around, then perhaps we can see how they stack up.
The only exception I can see is if MS are straight up changing their architecture.
Both parties will have a fairly fair grasp of what the other will be able to make just do to what price-point they think the other will come in at. But that's the thing, they don't know what price-point they will aim for.
If MS is looking to release at $500 and thinks Sony will release at $400 they will feel they have a clear advantage in terms of specs. But what if Sony also aims for $500. The difference is going to be a lot smaller.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft really is doing a two-tiered launch, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Anaconda > PS5 > Lockhart for power when all the dust has settled.

But the sources on this seem sketchy, since I would think details are locked down enough on either side to really know. Sony's vague details are already the best AMD is known to be offering in 2019, so unless the sources know that MS is incorporating AMD's 2020 lineup (which I think is known currently to only be a refinement year rather than a major jump), I can't imagine who could possibly know what the final plans for both companies are to know which is more powerful. I'm skeptical Sony even knows what their final specs will be.

Oct 25, 2017
All the people saying this have never said they know exactly what Sony has. It could easily be true, but this is all coming from the Xbox side.

It's weird that I now have more faith in Microsoft's hardware team than I do Sonys.

Sony still scored the biggest win in hardware this generation. A cheaper more powerful console at launch then more powerful at the same price after Kinect 2.0 was dropped. All Xbox did was release One X a year later and charge $100 more. Nothing exactly brilliant about that. The cooling system top notch though.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This has been known for a while. Pricing is up in the air but I'm guessing Microsoft will match Sony's sticker and eat the loss with gamepass and streaming making it up.

Having lots of options to play, a Netflix for games and the best looking/running games at the same price as a ps5 will sway quite a few customers.... providing they don't mess up the messaging.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were plenty of "insiders" willing to claim the Xbox One was more advanced than the PS4 after we had full details on both. Even though this was demonstrably false.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Exactly, most powerful console is over rated. MS had the weakest and most powerful console this gen yet they are paddy last. With B/C the lions share of gamers will choose PS5 especially with superior 1st party exclusives from Sony. Games win the gen and Sony covering all angles with the SSD, B/C and Ray tracing.
I mean, the PS4 didn't have a great exclusives library at launch if that's what you're getting at, but it still won. Price and Kinect bullshit at launch was what cost Xbox One the generation, not a lack of exclusives. It's a new generation, though, and anything can happen.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Doesn't matter to me at this point. All my games are on PS4 and I like their first part stuff way more. So PS5 gonna get my money.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say it won't be true, as that is what MS is aiming for, but Xbox/MS sources saying the Xbox system will be stronger after months of controlled leaks?

Color me shocked.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter how good or powerful it is. If it's more than 500, it's gonna be DoA. Why would you buy a Xbox over a PC at that point?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It will certainly be an interesting "battle" to see. Microsoft will continue with the most powerful console slogan and Sony will probably start talking about having the console with the best cost benefit.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always believed that Xbone would have been more successful if the price was $399, power is nice but if it had the same price as the PS4, I believe MS would have led the generation, they had the audience and install base.

On the subject, yes, maybe, who knows? It about the games and services right?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not that compelling. Sources are Xbox sources and then reiterating comments from MS about wanting to be most powerful

Considering we don't have any detailed specs around performance from Sony, how would they know?

Yeah and those comments were made at a time when, according to other sources, Sony was seriously considering putting out a weaker box in Fall 2019.

I don't think the gap between PS5 and Anaconda, either way, is going to be anything to write home about. As it usually does its going to come down the exclusive games that makes each platform stand out.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$549 max, if only to avoid the poisonous "Five Hundered and Ninety Nine US Dollars"

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were plenty of "insiders" willing to claim the Xbox One was more advanced than the PS4 after we had full details on both. Even though this was demonstrably false.

This too. How easily 2013-2014 is forgotten when it comes to all the FUD about hardware pre and post release. Remember when an xbox one update was gunna make it as powerful as the PS4 after launch? Yeah..

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Console wars will clearly be around until the world ends. I'm just looking forward to the console upgrades from a PC port perspective.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
They had a more powerful system to combat the PS2, but it didn't matter.

The difference between Xbox and PlayStation isn't power, it's the 1st party games they make, and Sony is as strong as they've ever been on that front.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Yeah, with Phil in place now and the fact that the Xbox brand finally has their ducks in a row they are going to be looking for a fight next gen . Sony will for sure have a tougher hill to climb next gen and they really need to come out of the gate swinging. Even as someone who is very bought into the Sony ecosystem I gotta say part of me is scared that they are going to just botch this next generation.
The fight won't end in a KO in the first round like this gen did, but I doubt they will botch next gen. Buying a PS5 is still a pretty safe bet for getting great 1P content, while buying an Xbox is more of a bet.

I'm leaning towards getting an Xbox at launch and I know the fight will be closer, but just how much closer we can't really tell just yet. We have no clue yet how things will play out for any of the new studios, and that's all that matters.

The beautiful thing is once the next gen hits off all bets are off, even if both sides play it safe and avoid making clear mistakes like the PS3's launch price or the MS's horrible One reveal. Anyone can grab the momentum. Also, an impressive launch lineup is important for getting a head start. There's a pretty big chance PS5's launch portfolio will be lackluster while we know MS will probably at least have a juggernaut in the form of Infinite.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The only thing I can think of is Ms box having more ram.

It's not a ram thing.

They had a more powerful system to combat the PS2, but it didn't matter.

The difference between Xbox and PlayStation isn't power, it's the 1st party games they make, and Sony is as strong as they've ever been on that front.

That example doesn't hold much anymore. Xbox was new to market and people weren't as technically inclined to have the "good stuff" like they are now. A good portion of casual people bought into PS4 early because they heard was better. If Microsoft matches price and people know they're getting more power for their money it will sway people and give them an edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.