• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Joss Whedon is stepping down from his upcoming HBO drama series.

The writer-director is leaving The Nevers, his quasi-superhero series centered on a group of young women in Victorian-era England.

The move comes amid a controversy surrounding Whedon's time directing the Justice League reshoots for Warner Bros. Actor Ray Fisher has publicly accused Whedon of "abusive, unprofessional" behavior on the set of the 2017 film, and his claims are being investigated by the studio. (Whedon and WB have disputed some of Fisher's allegations.) Warner Bros. and HBO are both owned by WarnerMedia.

"We have parted ways with Joss Whedon," HBO confirmed in a statement Wednesday. "We remain excited about the future of The Nevers and look forward to its premiere in the summer of 2021."

ew.com

Joss Whedon exits HBO series 'The Nevers': 'I am genuinely exhausted'

Joss Whedon is stepping down from the upcoming HBO series 'The Nevers.' Meanwhile, there is controversy over his time directing the 'Justice League' reshoots for Warner Bros.

Looks like Ray Fisher won. Hopefully Ray gets more roles on future WB projects.

749422975329108028.png

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like he was forced out or anything. I was hoping this might be a moment of awakening for him, but it doesn't seem like it.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title doesn't match the contents of the article.

According to the article Joss Whedon is stepping down because of the level of commitment being too exhausting for him.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. Show sounds like trash too, so we'll see if it ends up decent or not

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think this genuinely might be because they've been slow as fuck to produce this, or at least part of the reason. Episode one wrapped August of last year.

Oct 25, 2017
See during his 90s halcyon days I knew he was revered but I never ever liked his stuff. Glad he's been processed out of both cinematic universes now.

"Movie jail" or whatever it's called, it's not the "blacklist" blacklist but it's still kind of like the blacklist right?

Cyborg as a character has been elevated by modern DC/WB for a long time now (and deservedly so, his best iterations have come about because of it) so very keen to see Fisher's portrayal find a new voice.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
He's had throngs of people sharpening their knives over his output for the better part of 10 years. I think the first Avengers was the last time he released anything to universal acclaim.

Its not just based on his output tho. Sure some just have ire for that but the overlying negative opinion of him is attributed to harrassment allegations from Ray Fisher

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's still a show he created. So he'd still presumably end up making a lot of money from it if it's a success.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what Whedon did?
Allegedly, racism on set, cutting out minorities in movies, sexism on set, adding gropey crap to Justice League, and I think that's it for the JL stuff involving Fisher. Outside of that he's apparently a serial cheater and performative feminist according to his ex-wife.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Joss admit to preying on women back in the Buffy days?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Its not just based on his output tho. Sure some just have ire for that but the overlying negative opinion of him is attributed to harrassment allegations from Ray Fisher
While I'm sure you're right, there's literally years worth of articles talking about Whedon being misogynistic, problematic, a fake feminist, etc.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Joss admit to preying on women back in the Buffy days?
I think your are being loose as to what he admitted to. Doubt he'd refer to it as preying lol

Just admitted to cheating on his wife, with people from work I think.

He's supposedly scummy yeah

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's had throngs of people sharpening their knives over his output for the better part of 10 years. I think the first Avengers was the last time he released anything to universal acclaim.

It's remarkable how stalled his career has been since Age of Ultron and Avengers 1. I know that Age of Ultron had a mixed critical response, but it still made a lot of money, and Whedon chose to make his next big film in the Snyderverse.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable how stalled his career has been since Age of Ultron and Avengers 1. I know that Age of Ultron had a mixed critical response, but it still made a lot of money, and Whedon chose to make his next big film in the Snyderverse.
I don't think he's ever been comfortable as a director. If he hadn't been brought on to fix Justice League I doubt he would have released anything since Age of Ultron.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure you're right, there's literally years worth of articles talking about Whedon being misogynistic, problematic, a fake feminist, etc.

Yeah, it's very weird to see this framed as just a recent thing, even if that's coming from people with good intentions. Like even as someone who was a big fan of his stuff as a teen (Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse...) there's always been stuff building up over the years that made me think unfavorably of him. Learning how Charisma Carpenter was treated, and his horrible ideas for Inara in a possible Firefly season 2, and so on.

Meanwhile I literally forgot he was involved with Avengers to begin with.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's kind of insane how far Whedon has fallen. Like, Buffy/Angel/Firefly used to be discussed as much as Star Trek, Star Wars, X-Files, etc. People don't even joke about wanting Firefly back anymore.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
tenor.gif

I can now theoretically watch the pilot without thinking about Gross Whedon even if he will get paid for a long time if the show gets picked up for more as he developed it. Twice fired by WB in only 3 years. Nice. And good on Ray for kicking him when he is down. A JLA crew member revealed some stuff I won´t get into elsewhere that wasn´t picked up by the press. Whedon had it coming for years and Ray will easily find people to back his accounts up.

@Kromis Accountability over entertainment.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Can't they hire a female showrunner/writer/director for a series about young female superheroes in Victorian England? Like, the premise is great, but women behind the camera for this kind of series would be better in my opinion.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to... take credit(?) for something like this is wild, but Fisher has shown he's more than a little delusional about his standing.

Delusional? Obviously you know more about it that he does. Also good that you're so easily dismissing everything Fisher says for Whedon who is a well known creepy douche.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Good. I have a lot of reverence for alot of Whedon's past work, but you have to fucking lie to yourself to not see his scumminess showing through even in some of his most revered material. The treatment of Charisma Carpenter was grotesque, he was a creep, and the world has moved well passed him.

May the Fisher investigation be a nail in that coffin.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Can't they hire a female showrunner/writer/director for a series about young female superheroes in Victorian England? Like, the premise is great, but women behind the camera for this kind of series would be better in my opinion.
I mean it's kind of his thing though? I remember him talking about wanting to do a Victorian superhero show way back in like 2013, or 2014, when he had an interview with Chris Hardwick on the Nerdist.

So like, purely from a "oh a show about women therefore should be done by women" standpoint, sure, yeah, but this was one of Whedon's and now Whedon is no longer there. So honestly who knows. A couple of old Buffy/Angel showrunners are attached as executive producers in Doug Petrie and Jane Espenson, plus Bernadette Caulfield, but I have no idea what that means to be honest.