• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not just incredibly sexist and condescending, but pointless. This matters to nobody.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I read this earlier without context and literally thought it was some salty boomer's twitter.

This got published? ahahahaahahaahahh

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems insanely petty lol. I have a non-MD PhD and whenever official stuff attaches 'Dr' to my name I think it's corny as hell, but writing / publishing an opinion piece about this is so stupid.

lol this too, come on now
Right - I could attach "Esquire" to my name, but it's pretentious as fuck. But I ain't writing op eds to stop others. Absolutely horrible piece, and the kiddo is the cherry on top.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if heads will roll at the WSJ a la the NYT opinion page kerfuffle with Send the Troops.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Seems insanely petty lol. I have a non-MD PhD and whenever official stuff attaches 'Dr' to my name I think it's corny as hell, but writing / publishing an opinion piece about this is so stupid.

It never quite sat right with me that this was a running joke in Friends. And of course that paragraph is so gross with 'kiddo' and all.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
QDIUm-9VhrBqXsvwcJqzhHTZbQk=.gif

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know if this man had a doctorate or honorary doctorate, he would demand that everybody say it. You can just tell.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Misogyny is still pretty baked into advanced society but this is a petty and weird example. Pathetic little freak

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
"As for your Ed.D., Madame First Lady, hard-earned though it may have been, please consider stowing it, at least in public, at least for now. Forget the small thrill of being Dr. Jill, and settle for the larger thrill of living for the next four years in the best public housing in the world as First Lady Jill Biden."

Oh, good, he is admitting it is straight of mysogyny. Your hard work is not nearly as impressive as being the wife of your husband, that is what you should be proud of, man you married. While also downplaying her work as a 'thrill' something to only accomplish to have done it, not out of pride or any desire to improve or help a field.

I'm not sure who this guy is, but he is straight up trash. Fuck him.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oct 27, 2017
So like....between the Jill Biden one and the article dehumanizing gays, is there any vetting process with WSJ Opinion pieces or do you just pay a fee and that's it?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"As for your Ed.D., Madame First Lady, hard-earned though it may have been, please consider stowing it, at least in public, at least for now. Forget the small thrill of being Dr. Jill, and settle for the larger thrill of living for the next four years in the best public housing in the world as First Lady Jill Biden."

Oh, good, he is admitting it is straight of mysogyny. Your hard work is not nearly as impressive as being the wife of your husband, that is what you should be proud of, man you married. While also downplaying her work as a 'thrill' something to only accomplish to have done it, not out of pride or any desire to improve or help a field.

I'm not sure who this guy is, but he is straight up trash. Fuck him.
"Thrill at your opportunity to be a housewife!"

This dumb prick shouldn't be able to show his face in public again without being laughed or jeered out of the room.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb article. I stopped with a MS in engineering but if I had pressed on I'd wear it proudly.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Garbage column from a garbage human being. He's had over eighty years and this is as good a person as he could make of himself. Pathetic.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so close to going this dudes entire life without knowing about his existence

Also I just lost the game

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Er, does she have a doctorate or not? And if she does, what is the problem supposed to be? I would consider calling yourself "Doctor" if you got an honorary doctorate to be a bit "fraudulent", but if you actually went to school and earned one... what is the problem?!

And mocking her dissertation that is... on a subject 100% within the wheelhouse of her area of study?

The split between the editorial and news sides of the WSJ continues to be fascinating. They have excellent reporters, and some of the worst opinion people aside from maybe the New York Times.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Physician here. That article, much like the author and his opinions, is worthless misogynistic trash. She legitimately earned her title as a reflection of her expertise, and she is more than welcome to use it.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Clinical psychologist here who use "Dr" at my work. I have also literally saved lives when working with actively suicidal clients. I only mention this because I believe anyone who fights to keep our youth educated will have a far more profound impact on our society than I will and fully deserves to be called by their earned title!

Shame on the WSJ for publishing this garbage.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The degree is literally called a doctorate. Who's is the scumbag even, never heard of this fuckface

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad. I went from being the homeless child of drug addicts to a doctoral degree and and professorship and you better believe I am going to celebrate the degrees I earned over 12 years of education, and myself, forever. Feel free to die mad about it.
Well i don't really get mad about it. Sorry to dissapoint you. Not liking something doesn't mean I have something against the people that use it or how they achieve it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The official title of doctor, and doctrates in multiple disciplines (including education) have been a thing far longer than medical doctors :-P

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Physician here. That article, much like the author and his opinions, is worthless misogynistic trash. She legitimately earned her title as a reflection of her expertise, and she is more than welcome to use it.

Facts. Fuck any knuckle dragger acting like only medical doctors are allowed to use the title. Grow the fuck up, please. It's really insulting to people that put in that work.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This attack on our educators and blatant sexismis a key factor in why are country is so chock full of pieces of shit like this guy

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know... I kind of missed having conservatives attacking an incoming White House family for possibly being TOO qualified, while the outgoing First Lady literally has no qualifications at all and came in on an Einstein immigration Visa that was at the expensive of an actual qualified doctor.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Facts. Fuck any knuckle dragger acting like only medical doctors are allowed to use the title. Grow the fuck up, please. It's really insulting to people that put in that work.
Funniest part is that even those in the medical profession don't get the respect depending on their field. My sister-in-law is never referred to as Doctor in emails/phone calls with her colleagues because she's in physical therapy. I'm sure there's a good dose of sexism in that as well.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
WSJ should be ashamed for even publishing this trash, but with all the traffic it's driving to their site, I guess they don't really care.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree 100%. I may think it can come off as corny, but jumping from "eh that's a little lame" to "let me pen a sexist patronizing OpEd in one of the nation's most read newspapers to belittle a woman married to a man i dislike" is a fucking wild jump.
Right - I could attach "Esquire" to my name, but it's pretentious as fuck. But I ain't writing op eds to stop others. Absolutely horrible piece, and the kiddo is the cherry on top.
We can technically add Dr., even if Esquire is the socially accepted (and very corny and "i sniff my own farts") suffix.

...I've seen it. It's terrible.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree 100%. I may think it can come off as corny, but jumping from "eh that's a little lame" to "let me pen a sexist patronizing OpEd in one of the nation's most read newspapers to belittle a woman married to a man i dislike" is a fucking wild jump.

We can technically add Dr., even if Esquire is the socially accepted (and very corny and "i sniff my own farts") suffix.

...I've seen it. It's terrible.
Yeah, it seems like our "doctorate" isn't on the level of a PhD, so I never go there anyway. Esquire it is.