• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
www.prnewswire.com

Joseph Deen, 8-Year-Old Gamer, Signs to Professional eSports Team Known As Team 33 for a $33,000 Signing Bonus

/PRNewswire/ -- Team 33 announces today that it has added one of the youngest eSports players in the world to their exclusive roster; Joseph Deen is now known...

Hollywood, Calif., Dec. 3, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Team 33 announces today that it has added one of the youngest eSports players in the world to their exclusive roster; Joseph Deen is now known in the gaming community as 33 Gosu. As part of the signing, Joseph received a world-class gaming setup worth over $5000 and a $33,000 signing bonus.

Joseph Deen, now known as 33 Gosu, is one of the youngest players to ever sign to a pro eSports team and has been training with Team 33 for the last two years, since the age of 6, in order to make his dreams come true.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
8-year-old me would've died from the amount of candy I bought with that money.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I was born too soon.

6cdb452c8371193168e56d897962ee22.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That child is totally going to grow up to be a professional , mentally well rounded individual.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Soccer team do this as well around that age, they recruit lots of young talent to go to their farm teams. Lewis Hamilton was signed by Mercedes at the age of 12 for F1.

It doesn't happened in the US because major sports go through a drafting phase. That is not the case for Soccer and F1 are sports that don't have draft. Each year a different league might be considered the top.

Remove drafting and I can garantee teams would be signing 10y old prospect for their farm teams.

This backlash is a very American thing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This money is saved somewhere or the parents just keep it?

Anyway that's not healthy imo.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a low signing deal? Or maybe I only ever see the real big ones and it's normal. Hopefully the latter.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a blurry line of whether it qualifies as work or play.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
This reminds me of the kid who dropped out of high school to play Guitar Hero professionally. I looked it up like 15 years later and it turns out that he got a GED and is now making games

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand. Why would him getting a free PC and 33k ruin his entire life. People have some strange ideas on this website.
Child actors and sports stars often end up with all kinds of mental health and substance abuse issues, you need to have really amazing parents and loads of safeguarding to help that not happen. Also eSports and gaming is rife with all kinds of problems already, I wonder just how safe that environment is for a child on the whole.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Child actors and sports stars often end up with all kinds of mental health and substance abuse issues, you need to have really amazing parents and loads of safeguarding to help that not happen. Also eSports and gaming is rife with all kinds of problems already, I wonder just how safe that environment is for a child on the whole.

Surely you see the difference between 33k to play videogames in online tournaments and multimillion dollar hollywood deals for child actors.

Oct 30, 2017
i ain't gonna shit on an 8 year old but i'll shit on the parents who are allowing this shit to happen. my man's gonna cry after every loss.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Born too late to explore the Earth.
Born too soon to sign to a professional eSports team at age 8 for $33k + $5k gaming setup.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
F1 drivers start in Karting at like age 3 or some stupid shit. Haha. They are definitely in deep already at 8.