• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to know more about him, and I know he has a lot of passion about the series, but seeing interviews with him really shows that he understands the series really well, even more than a LOT of hardcore fans that I know personally

I've put the skinny there

The full interview:

His understanding of the repetition of war, and how it affects Solid Snake and Big Boss, who keeps returning in this cycle of violence over and over again is really insightful. It's hard to fathom a filmmaker talking about a video game series in earnest like that. Anyone else would just talk about the action, the war, or how the Snakes are badass icons, he just talks about how they're just living through pain.

I hope he does more interviews like these, I'd love to hear more about his interpretation of the Metal Gear series.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not sure why it's surprising, he's said a lot that he's a huge fan of Metal Gear, even going as far as having references to it in King Kong: Skull Island. He's a pretty hardcore gamer.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why it's surprising, he's said a lot that he's a huge fan of Metal Gear, even going as far as having references to it in King Kong: Skull Island. He's a pretty hardcore gamer.
What's surprising about it? He's a huge fan of the series.

The way he interprets the series and how he manages to zone in the qualities of it is really interesting. Being a hardcore gamer has no relevance to the level of analysis he displays when it comes to the series.

Plenty of fans doesn't try to read into the series more than necessary, which isn't a good or bad thing, it just depends on how people consumes games.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Nice Interview, thanks for the link

The way he interprets the series and how he manages to zone in the qualities of it is really interesting. Being a hardcore gamer has no relevance to the level of analysis he displays when it comes to the series.

Plenty of fans doesn't try to read into the series more than necessary, which isn't a good or bad thing, it just depends on how people consumes games.

Well put

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

It's interesting for sure, but contrary to fans he's actually trying to put out a product that encomposes everything MGS stands for into a different medium. Him going deeper into the material should be expected, he's making the movie. If he doesn't 'get it' the movie is sure to bomb hard.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'll give him, I'm certainly more open about his collaboration with Kojima and those panels he held than the Gabe Newell and J.J. Abrams contemplation-panel about a Half Life movie.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see if he manages to pull it off because it sounds very ambitious, video game movie or not. Skull Island doesn't exactly inspire confidence but his heart and head seem to be in the right places.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I just saw this on my feed, make it happen! Could be the greatest video game movie

Don't think he looks like him at all.

We need a Pliskin look a like;

81Yk1JrOEJL.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Duncan Jones is a great director and a huge fan of the Warcraft games and lore.
That still wasn't enough to translate the franchise to the big screen.

Certainly, it's a necessary requirement that the filmmakers understand the core of the Metal Gear series - it's not a guarantee that the final product is going to do the franchise justice.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has he figured out how to have a strong grip on not harassing women, or have people just stopped talking about that?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw that interview back then and I was sold on him. He understands the franchise. Also, he's a pretty good director; Kong Skull Island was great.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Any adaptation that is forced to cut out on Kojima's meandering style of exposition whilst still preserving all the other elements can only improve upon the original games.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. But then studio execs will ask him to dumb it down, add more explosions, then fire him, do extensive re-shoots and we have another entry in the Jose Padilha Robocop, Josh Trank Fantastic Four -bucket :P

Only chance this have is that if it's A24/Blumhouse production.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the movie is just a direct adaptation of the 1st metal gear solid or mgs2. I'll have little interest if it tries to be anything else.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it. Now that Oscar Isaac wants to get involved, whatever studio JVG made his pitch to might end up giving the project a 2nd look.
JVG is doing a good job garnering interest that's for sure. Fingers crossed.
Also, Iko Uwais might be involved if MGS is the "secret project" teased here

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think this director is the right man for the job, the movie can be terrible or great but it would be for sure interesting. He gets metal gear and have made it something that belongs to him in a way, i trust him.

Also oscar isaac is way to good of an actor to be in a videogame movie so the involvment of him gives huge credibility to the whole project. It may be at the end a serious esoteric action movielike the gray or something bobbastic like mission impossible.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any Hollywood studios are going to sink money into this project. Especially since Tomb Raider bombed and Konami isn't interested in supporting the Metal Gear anymore. Giant robots have been poorly supported by box office as well.

It would take a commitment from someone 10X bigger than Oscar Isaac to really get things off the ground. Maybe someone like Tom Cruise, who has a lot of pull in international markets.