• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
No one is making light of it.

Well that's not how I read it. I am telling you that there are hurtful attitudes toward suicide and addiction in this thread.

I'm amazed that anyone actually believes that it's actually ok to make harmful posts as long as the target is deemed worthy of them.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about being upset. I'm talking about basic empathy and the desire to publicly express the lack thereof.
Oh, he's repeatedly done the same (or things to that effect)? Sure, but nobody's saying that he should be treated as a benchmark. You don't become better by turning your head when somebody is down.

I also don't get worse because I don't really give a shit about a bigoted piece of trash who makes a living off of shitting on vulnerable groups of people. Sorry but not caring about terrible people doesn't make you a terrible person.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I wasn't talking about being upset. I'm talking about basic empathy and the desire to publicly express the lack thereof.
Oh, he's repeatedly done the same (or things to that effect)? Sure, but nobody's saying that he should be treated as a benchmark. You don't become better by turning your head when somebody is down.

Like, i agree with this on paper?

But considering the tangible damage he has done to the online discourse with his bigoty, I really don't give a shit about trying to be the better person here.

But if I don't bother to learn who he is to begin with I can claim innocence and come out on top as the truly morally superior person here

lol yeah can't make this shit up

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Except when that person is Jordan Peterson.

Like, empathy is not given away for free. Neither is respect. It's earned. He's done absolutely nothing to earn either. He in fact has spent the last few years of his life ensuring that he deserved literally none, and quite frankly we are honoring him right now by treating exactly the way he wants other to be treated.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The clinical psychologist that should know about the dangers of benzos tries to detox from them cold turkey using a medically induced coma. When going cold turkey on them is litreally asking for brain damage inducing seizures.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
Ah yes so close to your approval I'm sorry my master I've failed you. And yes, by definition differing viewpoints. I never said I agree with them, I ardently don't. He's yet to commit a crime so it's ideological, so absolutely viewpoints albeit ones with intolerance in mind.
sure, he may be espousing dumb bullshit about women and fantasizing about piledriving toddlers but you have to respect the man's commitment to his ideals

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind part of what you're asking for is marginalized groups that he has targeted and attacked to extend empathy back toward their attacker.

Deleted member 7373

Jordan Peterson being dead (or brain dead) would be a net positive for earth. Same with Rush Limbaugh. I can't imagine being sad at this news.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Jordan Peterson shits all over everyone else: I sleep

People shit on Jordan Peterson: HAVE SOME BASIC HUMAN DIGNITY!

Everyone whining about people being psyched that an asshole is getting a taste of his own hubris here is telling on themselves. Where were you when he was the one causing exponentially more people pain?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Except this isn't a thread about suicide and you're the one injecting it into the conversation.

"Ms Peterson, who herself gives talks on self-help topics, said her father was suffering from an "endless, irresistible restlessness bordering on panic and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.".

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Well that's not how I read it. I am telling you that there are hurtful attitudes toward suicide and addiction in this thread.

I'm amazed that anyone actually believes that it's actually ok to make harmful posts as long as the target is deemed worthy of them.

How much do you actually know about Jordan Peterson? And don't say it's not relevant because to the literal thousands of people harmed by his views it's very much relevant.

No one, aside from maybe the actual victims behind his viewpoints, have been wishing a brain damage inducing addiction on him on a regular basis.

But now that it has happened, you cannot expect people whose lives have been made demonstratibly worse, to now feel bad for him. The manner in which his comeuppance is being served is irrelevant. The fact that it was from addiction would possibly be tragic if he hadn't spent so much time trying to peddle pseudoscience nonsense that potentially harmed people who were also suffering and followed his bad advice. He is literally getting a taste of his own medicine right now.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me dread whenever Trump gets seriously ill.

"Hey guys are really bad people for not showing sympathy for the man who put children in cages, ran a campaign on bigotry and went out of his way to infest our government with his bigoted sycophants. Who is the real asshole here?"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Peterson preaches pseudoscience, recycled pop psychology and religious fundamentalism.
I guess there is such a thing as karma.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Keep in mind part of what you're asking for is marginalized groups that he has targeted and attacked to extend empathy back toward their attacker.

I'm not asking anybody to do anything. And I'm a member of multiple groups he has targeted yet I can't help but empathize with his suffering, and I genuinely believe it's better this way and don't feel any weaker for it.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Please point out where I advocated for any of that, I'm not entirely convinced you know what you're doing here.

Calling them viewpoints is giving credence to the idea that they are a position to be debated.

You might be right from a technical standpoint, but it makes it sound like something that has merit in being discussed in both directions.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Ah yes so close to your approval I'm sorry my master I've failed you. And yes, by definition differing viewpoints. I never said I agree with them, I ardently don't. He's yet to commit a crime so it's ideological, so absolutely viewpoints albeit ones with intolerance in mind.

Bruh, tolerating the intolerant eventually leads to the proliferation of intolerance.

Even if it's "different viewpoints" the shit he peddles goes beyond differences between how to govern a country. He advocates for hurting people for the way they're born and things they cannot change about themselves.

Someone has to commit a crime as defined by the legal system to be considered a bad person? Get outta here with that BS.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Ms Peterson, who herself gives talks on self-help topics, said her father was suffering from an "endless, irresistible restlessness bordering on panic and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.".

As someone who has dealt with suicidal thoughts and tendencies since I was a child I know how horrible suicide and everything around it can be as well as how addiction can destroy a person as my father was and still is a serious alcoholic. Peterson is the kind of guy who make light of people like you or me just to please a bunch of rapid shitlords on the internet who pay his bills. I don't feel sympathy for him especially when his own bullshit seemingly caught up to him. I'm not wishing death or destruction on but but don't expect me to lament him or his cause just because he hit hard times while having a long history of attacking others for similar things that he now faces.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would the resident JP fans take any comfort knowing that Peterson's understanding of his Russian therapy is of the same caliber as his understanding of Canada's Bill C-16?

This post has been brought to you by the Marketplace Of Ideas™.

Oct 27, 2017
That meat-only diet is legit one of the dumbest things I've seen. If it has contributed to his sorry state, that's what we call a pro gamer move

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
i'm not entirely convinced you don't support lobster-based hierarchies. i'm gonna need more data on that.

Chief, this poster is doing a substantially better job of the argument you're trying to make (I think, I'm not really sure what you're trying to do):

Calling them viewpoints is giving credence to the idea that they are a position to be debated.

You might be right from a technical standpoint, but it makes it sound like something that has merit in being discussed in both directions.

From your post I understand that, as while as I have stated I don't agree or condone his ideas, they are for the most part ideas and are open to interpretation and debate whether we like it or not. I simply don't equate wishing physical harm, illness or death to someone with ideas I vehemently oppose. I don't think that makes me a better person or bring a sense of justice to a man spitting intolerance.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't know why people revel in the childlike "he hurt me, so I must hurt him" stage or why it's now being straight up encouraged.

Catharsis, since this is one of the only ways we can fight back.

Every day we're told to be nice, reach out, remain civil, compromise, and work with people who hate us and make our lives harder. Every single day. If you can take that and still have the patience to "be the better person" then congratulations, that's impressive. I can't always do that.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
That meat-only diet is legit one of the dumbest things I've seen. If it has contributed to his sorry state, that's what we call a pro gamer move

The types of people (some bodybuilders, youtubers, podcasters) I have seen advocate the all meat diet always seem to leave out the fact that it works so great because of their "supplement" routines. Usually trying to sell a book or a product as well.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How come the tone police NEVER attack Peterson for his toxicity towards women and trans folk?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

Everyone's going to hate me for making this comparison but let's be real, some of you would literally defend Hitler if he "was going through something". If I lived during that time and Hitler committed suicide I would celebrate it. If Hitler was addicted to drugs and was going through horrible withdrawals I would celebrate it. That doesn't mean I would wish those things on other people.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Posters expressing empathy for Peterson and trying to shame people into feeling bad for a shitstain bigot like him sure is something.
You can disagree with someone's viewpoints and call them whatever slur you'd like but being glad someone or their relatives are in bad health is fucking insane.

Some of you need to take a step back from twitter, as a start.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can disagree with someone's viewpoints and call them whatever slur you'd like but being glad someone or their relatives are in bad health is fucking insane.

Enough preaching already. Stop telling folks what they should or should not be saying or feeling. You are the one that needs to take a step back.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not asking anybody to do anything. And I'm a member of multiple groups he has targeted yet I can't help but empathize with his suffering, and I genuinely believe it's better this way and don't feel any weaker for it.

And you don't have to feel any different than that, and I certainly don't ask you to. But what I would say, is that you could use the same point of view to understand why there are those who empathize with him less or not at all, and not judge them for it.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You keep acting like they're just viewpoints when this guy has lobbied for bills against trans people multiple times. He was against a law that would prevent discrimination against trans people because he was scared of people policing his speech. He has said horrendously racist and sexist comments on a near constant basis all while radicalizing young white men. There is a reason that people are happy and it's because this man has attacked us constantly for years, and having one less person advocating against my rights and the rights of people like me is a good thing

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
And you don't have to feel any different than that, and I certainly don't ask you to. But what I would say, is that you could use the same point of view to understand why there are those who empathize with him less or not at all.

Oh, I understand completely, I just think it's unfortunate and we could do better.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's going to hate me for making this comparison but let's be real, some of you would literally defend Hitler if he "was going through something". If I lived during that time and Hitler committed suicide I would celebrate it. If Hitler was addicted to drugs and was going through horrible withdrawals I would celebrate it. That doesn't mean I would wish those things on other people.

The funny thing is Hitler was addicted to drugs, methamphetamine if I remember correctly, and he did commit suicide. So yeah you're probably right about that.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL

I probably should take a step back from Twitter, since I face transphobia that makes me feel like trash all the time thanks to people like Jordan Peterson.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people make it their lives' purpose to hurt others. JorP is one of them. His health is directly correlated with other people's harm. If he recanted, and dedicated the rest of his life to doing penance, maybe that would ameliorate his anti-fans a little. There is a simple calculus to make here. You're either with JorP and against his victims or with his victims and against JorP. This "let's just all be friends" shit is not real.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
From your post I understand that, as while as I have stated I don't agree or condone his ideas, they are for the most part ideas and are open to interpretation and debate whether we like it or not.

They're only "open for debate" because people like you insist on carrying water for them and ceding that they're still "open for debate".

How come the tone police NEVER attack Peterson for his toxicity towards women and trans folk?

"Decorum" is only demanded when people start punching up.

I know good people that have been taken in by his nonsense, and good people that have been hurt by people taken in by his nonsense.

If he stops disseminating his nonsense into the world, that's a net positive. It's unlikely that he'll stop himself, because A) he's hateful, and B) it's his big grift. Nobody's physically harming him or advocating that he should be physically harmed. This is something he's brought upon himself, and it's ironically the opposite of what he's been preaching.

Nov 16, 2017
This right here. Why the fuck am I supposed to feel bad for people who've shown no remorse in their own actions and have actively demonize others? Peterson is a partisan hack using quack medicine that seems counter to his "teachings". If homie wanted sympathy, he shouldn't be a massive asshole.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

It's a bed of his own making, I am glad he is the one suffering for his imbecility for once.

If you want to extract all context to make me look like the monster here buddy I don't give a shit.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The thing that all the people preaching a perfect world where everyone respects each other and doesn't wish harm on each other and debates on the marketplace of ideas and blah blah blah don't get is that, so long as people like Jordan Peterson exist, that world will never exist.

Jordan's not interested in intellectually weighing ideas. Jordan's interested in pushing his own biases and making as much money as he can doing so. Actors like that aren't conducive to your wonderful enlightened future.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm speculating, but this is very likely Xanax. Need to be very careful when being prescribed that for anxiety (like it should only be distributed and used for extreme episodes), and it really shouldn't be used recreationally.

Yes, I am quite appalled when I hear people are taking benzos on a regular basis for anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.