• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Why would he even have to justify this? I don't think filmmakers ever really have to justify hiring white actors? As if white is the default and it's somehow out of the ordinary to ever have none-white actors.

Haven't both of his movies had multiple white actors in anyway?

And his movies are making bank.

I reminded of similar talks about Spike Lee.

Oct 31, 2017
Where was this energy when Woody Allen says black actors need a reason to be in his movies

Woody Allen, Tim Burton and Ridley Scott have all vocalized that they would never cast leads of color in their films; I think Burton and Allen straight up said no black people in their films AT ALL without a REASON.

I would love too see footage of these Collider people even addressing those statements at all. Since they love the "if a white director said this, it'd be racist" bit, why haven't they called those directors racist?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, shit, they made a movie about a white lady that made a mop.

A mop.

A fucking mop, and it won Golden Globes and got a bunch of noms.

How you gonna tell me Peele is wrong after that?

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
It brings fresh faces into Oscar quality films and even put them on big movies down the road. And it brings more black people to the forefront.

People will still think about "WHITE PEOPLE RACISM" but those are fools.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It brings fresh faces into Oscar quality films and even put them on big movies down the road. And it brings more black people to the forefront.

People will still think about "WHITE PEOPLE RACISM" but those are fools.
People always say "the best person for the job" when not every gets in the room. Hell a good chunk are never told where the room is.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
As long as the artist is free to do what he wants, everybody wins. If the director feels the movie will be much better with a cast of blacks only, then that's fine. I really can't see any problem here, unless Universal stepped in and said no, only cast whites.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"If a white guy said it", LOL. A white guy wouldn't get asked why he wasn't casting black leads.

And if he did say the same thing in reverse, it wouldn't make any sense.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People really calling this racist? 🤨
JFC let the man make the movies he wants to make he doesn't have to explain himself. Critics adore him, let him do his thing. He been in the game a long time, shit let the dude breathe.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see what's so controversial. BET has been doing this for 40 years, so it's not like it's a new thing.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
People always say "the best person for the job" when not every gets in the room. Hell a good chunk are never told where the room is.

Agree with that. Sometimes those people never make it in, because of the skin color, race, and other factors. But what Peele is doing is crack that room open and let more people to share it with the rest. Which is a very good thing.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't see what's so controversial. BET has been doing this for 40 years, so it's not like it's a new thing.
The crazy part is that BET and Peele wouldn't need to do that if the whole media environment wasn't so hostile to black people working in the industry.
But nah, the real problem is not the industry being racist af.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
BET was a thing white people could ignore outside of idiotic arguments about parity ("If there was a White Entertainment Television...."). Peele is on center stage making millions and getting noteworthy accolades.

We can't have that.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding race
So if I got it correctly, he'll purposely judge actors by their skin colors and not their talent?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I got it correctly, he'll purposely judge actors by their skin colors and not their talent?

Black actors are just as good as white actors. So, no, you don't got it correctly.

Your post immediately assumes that a black actor is getting the job because of their skin and not their talent. Like he's just going to hire a bunch of shitty leads in his movie just because they're black.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

"And now, opportunities are being taken away because of the color of my skin" - White guy who kept saying racism is racism. This Josh guy is really bad. Really, really bad.
"I wasn't there! I didn't do!" when people brought up the decades and decades of minorities being ignored.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
all the reactions to this by angry white people remind me of this quote: "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Josh on Collider is a baby.

Edit: fucking hell, he even said "opportunities are being taken away from me because of the colour of my skin" (white).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh I cant watch the video right now. I see josh doesn't understandt j this shit but did Harloff change his tune atleast ?

I fucks with the scmoes but I can't rock with this. I hope Ellis doesn't jump to defense his boy.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"And now, opportunities are being taken away because of the color of my skin" -
giphy.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Like...There's a hot new director in town, and since he's NOT casting white people (as leads! mind you, he's still casting white people, lol), opportunity is taken away. The entitlement is INSANE. Nevermind that the opportunity was never there. lol
Yeah there's more white actors in get out than black.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Oh poor white actors, I guess you'll just have to settle with only having 90% of the leading roles in Hollywood. I am so sorry.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

I think people throw around the term white fragility too much but I'm not sure I've ever seen it so encapsulated in a video then here with Josh, from beginning to end. They even had to call him out when he got offended at the latino dude saying that minorities often are told they have to work twice as hard at the 30 minute mark.

30:01

That shit had me LMAO. This discussion should be listed in wiki article on white fragility.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Funny you bring this up. I remember being asked in middle school "why does BET get to be a thing. If we made a WET you'd call us racist"

Ofcourse, Every channel was basically WET at the time , and little has changed since then.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Both of his movies are lead by Oscar nominees/winners, so I yea, it's clear he doesn't give a shit about talent...

I'm sure you question the talent of EVERY white person who lands a role, because prior to Peele, Hollywood as been a perfect meritocracy. minorities are only under represented because they generally can't act.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Funny you bring this up. I remember being asked in middle school "why does BET get to be a thing. If we made a WET you'd call us racist"

Ofcourse, Every channel was basically WET at the time , and little has changed since then.
Why don't we have a white history month (holding in laugh just typing this).

Nov 30, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Racist rhetoric, inflammatory generalizations surrounding race, previous severe infractions
What Peele said is racist. He only mentions two colors. Disregards one race based on skin color, uplift another race based on skin color, and completely forgets to mention any other race at all as if they don't exist.

Sure his heart is in the right place, but how he said it is racist.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Both of his movies are lead by Oscar nominees/winners, so I yea, it's clear he doesn't give a shit about talent...

I'm sure you question the talent of EVERY white person who lands a role, because prior to Peele, Hollywood as been a perfect meritocracy. minorities are only under represented because they generally can't act.
I didn't get a chance to see Us yet, but does anyone really think Get Out would have been better with a white lead?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Peele said is racist. He only mentions two colors. Disregards one race based on skin color, uplift another race based on skin color, and completely forgets to mention any other race at all as if they don't exist.

Sure his heart is in the right place, but how he said it is racist.

He still casts white people in his movies. The fuck are you on about? You get this mad when people just pass up on black folks for random roles that have nothing to do with race for decades?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing he said was wrong or controversial yet here we are. Some white folks are too damn fragile. Damn. Acting like he's talking to these white folks personally, lol

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Far as I'm concerned he could spend the rest of his career doing solely black actors and actresses, not even just leads.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First they cried, "Minorities should make their own stories with new characters instead of changing white characters," and now Peele is a racist for doing... exactly what they wanted?

There is just no pleasing some people.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
First they cried, "Minorities should make their own stories with new characters instead of changing white characters," and now Peele is a racist for doing... exactly what they wanted?

So true.

As Jay Washington mentioned in the Collider Talk, some responded to OscarsSoWhite by saying the problem wasn't with Hollywood or the Oscars, it was that there weren't enough creators making movies with black people. Now we're getting that very thing and here we are.

I'm tempted to actually go listen to their thoughts on OscarsSoWhite.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

"Can't you protest peacefully?"

"Why are you kneeling. Do your job and respect the song. Do this in a corner or your closet."