• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This may and probably does apply to some people in the thread, but it's not uncommon at all to have celebs and directors called pompous or pretentious, hell they don't even have to say anything sometimes.
I am aware that people have a habit of calling creators pretentious. My argument is that the vitriol being expressed over Jordan having pride in his achievements- down to the point of comparing him to a director with a bad record despite not having bombed yet- is inseparable from common displays of vitriol towards minority creators.

Why in the name of god are people bringing up M. Night Shyamalan?!
A non-white director stepped into a traditionally white genre.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do love when people take any tiny opportunity to tear down something that by all accounts is quite good!

You're.... gonna need to rephrase this
It was good until the "other family" went into the house. Everything after that was awful.
So I guess the first 20 minutes were good?

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: trolling
It was good until the "other family" went into the house. Everything after that was awful.
So I guess the first 20 minutes were good?
Cool, stop acting like your opinion is the objective truth. Add caveats into your language so you look less like a fool.

Edit: Mods don't know what trolling means lol

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Dude is saying don't send him pics. What is wrong with y'all?
I think the guy has every right to ask people to stop sending him pics if he doesn't want them for sure, I don't think it makes him an asshole, I do feel bad for people who the movie resonated with who went to lengths to dress up as it and sending it to the creator thinking he would appreciate it and to find out he doesn't want it. When you make something iconic it just kind of becomes part of culture so I could see a lot of good people being disheartened over it. But, like I said if he doesn't want it and he's asking nicely (and he did say it in a nice way) it would be cool if people just said "okay, we won't send pics".

madstrike

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not racist but why is this black dude being so uppity, he needs to know his place"

Progressive ERA strikes again ...

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird when people brag about being out of touch with popular things.
Thats not bragging. I've never heard of it. It's weird when people like you cant understand something as simple as that. I've heard of his other movie because it was extremely popular and it was everywhere.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
It's a Halloween costume of characters he created. It's pretty strange he's "creeped out" by it.
It's not unheard of to receive psychological effects from your own work. Dave Theurer, one of the main programmers behind the old arcade game Missile Command, had nightmares working on the game where he envisioned his home town, friends and family included, suffering constant nuclear strikes.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simply letting you know that it's a real bad look for you, sorry!
I'm simply letting you know that you being so mad at me because I didn't like a movie as much as you do is... a real bad look for you, sorry! And I guess now it's time to move on. All this because of a cheesy Hollywood horror movie.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's not unheard of to receive psychological effects from your own work. Dave Theurer, one of the main programmers behind the old arcade game Missile Command, had nightmares working on the game where he envisioned his home town, friends and family included, suffering constant nuclear strikes.
I mentioned Scott Cawthon earlier. Fun fact: He had nightmares of Bonnie being in his room despite the door being locked. That's why he says Bonnie terrifies him the most, and also how he thought of the loss mechanic in FnaF 1 where the door disables if an animatronic gets inside while you weren't looking.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
The movie was a disappointment. Coming from the highs of get out it was definitely a more ambitious sophomore undertaking that didn't quite land the landing

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie was a disappointment. Coming from the highs of get out it was definitely a more ambitious sophomore undertaking that didn't quite land the landing

Peele: I'd rather not have unsolicited pics of horror movie stuff that's left me with emotional baggage.

Era: Your movie was bad.

Also Era: His trajectory is similar to this other brown director, because we can only compare minority to minority. There are zero white directors to which I'd compare this person.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Peele: I'd rather not have unsolicited pics of horror movie stuff that's left me with emotional baggage.

Era: Your movie was bad.

Also Era: His trajectory is similar to this other brown director, because we can only compare minority to minority. There are zero white directors to which I'd compare this person.
I love Peele don't get me wrong he's the most ambitious director out there. His ideas and themes, makes someone like George Miller look like a amateur, but Us was still dissapointing

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
George Miller is an incredible director don't get me wrong it's just his themes are no where near as ambitious as Peele's

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The Tethered ain't ever gonna be "iconic" like Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees. Peele can either enjoy the attention now or never, because no one will dress up as those characters next year.

Aine

May 27, 2019
ITT: People mistake their own opinions for the general consensus of what movies are popular.

If only the internet got this mad over people being bigots...

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Sounds like he was very disturbed by Lupita's performance in real life and this brings back those darker memories.

I think it's fair that he doesn't want random posters to trigger him. It's not likely to stop, but he's just asking.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Myers was part of something that is considered the movie that revolutionized slashers

Get Out and Us are good movies, but they do not have the same impact as Halloween
You're delusional if you think Get Out won't be looked back on the way Halloween is now. The sound of a spoon scraping the side of a teacup makes you think of the movie immediately and everyone knows what the sunken place is, like do you guys ever leave resetera?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I think that Jordan Peele takes his material seriously. Like to him, 'Us' isn't meant to be a horror movie, but his personal thoughts personified about society and about a different world which he sees possible.

So I don't blame him for feeling uncomfortable about this.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
You're delusional if you think Get Out won't be looked back on the way Halloween is now. The sound of a spoon scraping the side of a teacup makes you think of the movie immediately and everyone knows what the sunken place is, like do you guys ever leave resetera?
I don't think it will..Halloween literally established most of the horror tropes we see. Teenagers, final girl etc. etc. Get Out is an incredible film I don't see it having the same effect on the genre

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've never heard of anyone cosplaying Us. I really don't expect to see many tethered costumes this Halloween. Not even on the internet. Some "phenomenon."

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Being a celebrity must suck sometimes. You can't even try and get people to stop spamming you their shitty Halloween costumes without them getting all hot and bothered.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I don't think it will..Halloween literally established most of the horror tropes we see. Teenagers, final girl etc. etc. Get Out is an incredible film I don't see it having the same effect on the genre

It's not the same kind of film bruh. And it's a horror that speaks about completely different topics than slasher flicks. Come on.

You all are working SO HARD to devalue this mans work. Never did you do that for any other horror creators themes that you could relate to. GFTO with this shit.