• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
His impact on the exterior design of portable tech is going to be felt for a century. Guy's a legend.

That said, I don't think this changes much for Apple, but maybe Jony can groom some new design talent for them.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
no, that's on the verge website, that twitter account just gets their header and caption daily and posts it

JyQNrQz.jpg
Oh shit, didn't see that. Yeah that's messed up. I don't see what else it could be referencing.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
A computer mouse that was designed not to be charged while being used so people don't use it wired. Also, its full battery lasts 2 months, and takes literally 2 minutes for a full day of charge.

Still a bad design choice.
According to Apple, the Magic Mouse 2 shouldn't need to be recharged often, at least. A full charge takes about two hours and lasts two months. Two minutes of juice is enough for a full day as well. This is, of course, based onApple's often optimistic battery life claims.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jony is one of the few people in the world that doesn't need a resume - his name is enough.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Theory is it'll be no bigger than the current 15" just with much thinner bezels.

From what I hear, Ive's branching out into other areas eg. interior design, not just electronics products.

That could be an interesting design, though it does nothing to remedy some of my main complaints. As I'm ready to downsize, the 13" MBP might be a consideration, but to get a similarly spec'd system I'm having to pay almost $1,000 more (depending on what sales are going on with Lenovo), and I'd still end up with a keyboard I hate typing on, annoying ports/adapter situation, etc.
edit: And I'm no stranger to the so-called "Apple tax," as mentioned before. But that's $1k more than a high-end Lenovo, which is considered to be a premium laptop. I don't think the quality/performance-to-cost gap has ever been this bad since I started buying Apple laptops ~15 years ago.

I'm interested in Ive's other designs. He definitely has some great work in his portfolio.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we'll see the Ive-less laptops sooner than expected:

Jony Ive's Involvement at Apple Reportedly Tapered After the Original Apple Watch Launched in 2015
Following Apple's surprise announcement yesterday that Jony Ive is leaving the company, fresh details have emerged about the design chief's day-to-day involvement at Apple in recent years that suggest his exit has been a long time in the making.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that after the Apple Watch launched in 2015, Ive had already started relinquishing his responsibilities because of the strain it was putting on him personally.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
iOS and macOS have never been better.

Desktop Macs are finally back on track now we have an updated Mini and the Mac Pro (the iMac line has always been great).

Don't really have any complaints about the iPhones nor the iPads especially now that there's a low cost iPad and the Mini has returned.

The big problem that needs fixing IMO is the laptops. Some of that is down to Intel but things like the keyboard, the touchbar and the comical lack of I/O are self-made errors.

I can agree with this statement. Their product line has been fine (albeit messy and a little bit expensive but c'est la vie) but now they absolutely need to fix the Macbooks - there is a reason why people say that the 2012-2015 MBPs are the best they've ever made!

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't know if this will make apple any better but nearly every apple product I've purchased in the last three years, I've returned.
The watch, HomePod and tv4k I've all returned because the alternatives are cheaper and better.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It's still kinda amazing to me that Jonathan Ive and David Beckham went to the same school in Chingford not far from where I grew up (Harry Kane went there too). And they have such different accents, it made me wonder if Ive could have ever got to where he is with David Beckham's voice. I mean, imagine if Beckham narrated Apple's videos.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I'd say the mouse is more about less effort (didn't require them to redo the mouse shells) as well as philosophy (don't want you to just leave it plugged in all the time.)

Either way accessories don't get redesigned often, so you're gonna be waiting another 2-3 years at minimum probably.
I think that if they actually managed to get AirPower working, some sort of wireless charging cradle might actually be the ideal solution for a Magic Mouse anyway.

My guess is that in the wake of AirPower's failure to launch, they're rethinking their *entire* approach to wireless charging (they won't give up on it altogether, obviously, Apple HATES wires) and it may take another few years before we see that bear fruit.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, assuming the car was totally self-driving I guess you would only need to say "go to x".

Altought it's obviously ridiculous for a first or second gen self-driving car not having a wheel.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Deeper insight into Jony's departure. Pretty revealing stuff.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jony-i...tarted-leaving-years-ago-11561943376?mod=e2tw

Few on the outside knew that for years, Mr. Ive had been growing more distant from Apple's leadership, say people close to the company. Mr. Jobs's protégé—and Apple's closest thing to a living embodiment of his spirit—grew frustrated inside a more operations-focused company led by Chief Executive Tim Cook.

Mr. Cook, an industrial engineer who made his name perfecting Apple's supply chain, sought to keep Mr. Ive happy over the years, in part with a pay package that far exceeds that of other top Apple executives, a point of friction with others on the executive team, people familiar with the matter say. Apple doesn't disclose Mr. Ive's pay. But people in the design studio rarely saw Mr. Cook, who they say showed little interest in the product development process—a fact that dispirited Mr. Ive.

Mr. Ive grew frustrated as Apple's board became increasingly populated by directors with backgrounds in finance and operations rather than technology or other areas of the company's core business, said people close to him and to the company.

Mr. Ive was devastated by Mr. Jobs's death. The studio's cadence slowed.

"When Steve Jobs was alive, there was a lot of effort toward: Steve's coming to the studio today, so we have to have a lot for him to see," said a former member of the design group. "When he died, that went away."

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I guess he ran out of things he could copy from Dieter Rams

BItjWYSCUAAHHwc.jpg

digitalskeuomorphcalcul.jpg

braun_isight-e1346851041949.jpg

lmao have you ever worked in a creative capacity? It's all copying other ideas. No one can be 100% on that wholly original shit all the time. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel constantly, and it's simply not possible to do that on an even generous production timeline.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
lmao have you ever worked in a creative capacity? It's all copying other ideas. No one can be 100% on that wholly original shit all the time. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel constantly, and it's simply not possible to do that on an even generous production timeline.
Just curious, what is your opinion on the Samsung vs Apple case?
Regarding Ive, his stamp on Apple's consumer unfriendly design (which was copied by the entire industry basically) will linger. IMO, we should be able to service broken components. They look nice though.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
VICE basically ran a hit piece about Ive and it was hinged on the lack of repairability of the products. Consumers don't even care, lol.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will change for at least a few more years as designs do take 2 years to come into effect from what I understand

Jonny probably wants a change I can't imagine he feels challenged anymore from doing it for so long.

Being that he is going to work with Apple still confirms there's no bad blood

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, what is your opinion on the Samsung vs Apple case?
Regarding Ive, his stamp on Apple's consumer unfriendly design (which was copied by the entire industry basically) will linger. IMO, we should be able to service broken components. They look nice though.

That's Jobs' legacy, not Ive's. Remember Jobs was doing custom hardware screws and blocking apps years ago.

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ive leaving might push them in a needed different direction, but WSJ article points out how fundamentally different and operations focused Tim Cooks leadership has been. That position probably needs new blood too.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that perfectly jives with how I feel Apple's design has stagnated and they're not coming up with anything new.

This is the worst criticism of Apple post Jobs because it's revisionist to an extent. Yes, Apple/Jobs delivered revolutionary consumer items (iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac) but they also had a lot of misses (G4 Cube, iPod HiFi, their mice, services).

Not to mention it's absolutely ludicrious to hang on this idea that Apple should and will deliver another iPhone. It's also completely dismissive of how Apple has been able to capture and execute on the smartwatch segment.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With no disrespect, what's your point?

In a thread about a designer leaving I'm referring to the design aspect of their products, not how much money they have.
My point is that even their design has been scrutinized by the market and passed the test with flying colors.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
People on the internet complaining about products they weren't going to buy anyway is not what makes something bad I'm afraid.

Jony was sick. Godspeed my dude.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Considering Apple airpods, newer design Apple Watch, new iPad Pro's are one of the best designs from Apple and came after Jony Ive started phoning it in, it seems Apple is going to be fine

On the other hand Apple will continue with issues as long as Apple is the ceo. It has to be Toby Patterson as the next CEO.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
probably for the best.

the macbook/imac has pretty much had the same old design since 2007-2008. even the iphone held onto the same kind of look (6-8) for a long time until the X. the XS is the same and from leaks the new iPhone will look even worse. hopefully the next macbook/imac gets a good update and the 2020 iphones have a new look.

also the devices have no consistency with cables. iphones use lightning and so do some ipads. some ipads and macs use USB-C. all the devices should move to USB-C. of course Apple just wanna sell dongles. not only is the cable situation a mess but the focus on selling dongles has meant they removes a lot of ports on their laptops.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Considering Apple airpods, newer design Apple Watch, new iPad Pro's are one of the best designs from Apple and came after Jony Ive started phoning it in, it seems Apple is going to be fine

On the other hand Apple will continue with issues as long as Apple is the ceo. It has to be Toby Patterson as the next CEO.

I'll agree with the iPad Pro, fantastic design, but Airpods and the Apple Watch are not really known for being great designs. The Apple Watch especially is one of the uglier looking smart watches on the market, even though it is one of the best.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Some of these stories sound a bit like an attack piece. There were even remarks about AirPower, which has zilch to do with the design team.