• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree with both these takes. These last 5 years have been Apple's most incredible when it comes to design.

get the fuck out of here, lol

it's definitely been more middling. It depends on the product line honestly

also, this dude is definitely going to be making bank with his new consulting firm

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes at this take

They've still been best of class in regards to design - have they significantly innovated/changed things up like Jobs did? No, but they were still creating top notch hardware

just judging on looks only.
used to be a big fan of their designs, these days you get cheese graters and upside down mice more often than not.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ive hasn't been working on their designs for years now. These "his Apple design have been stale" takes are ... a little uninformed.

what has he been doing then for the past 2 years when they announced this:

"With the completion of Apple Park, Apple's design leaders and teams are again reporting directly to Jony Ive, who remains focused purely on design," Amy Bessette, a company spokeswoman, said Friday in a statement.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eh seems like it won't be a big deal

more designs like apple watch and less like the new ipad pro, please

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure hes a nice guy, no reason to think hes not

BUT

Goddamn I hate Jony Ive lol, HIS NAME IS JONATHAN. He is like, the face and PR of obnoxious product design speak

WE USED QUAXODIUM BRUSHES AND SMOOTHED THE SARLACCIOUS METALS FOR TWO DECADES IN ORDER TO REFINE AN EDGE THAT IS IMPERCEPTIBLE TO HUMANKIND FOR THOUSANDS, NAY ZILLIONS OF YEARS

ugh

Okay, rant done, sorry.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
iOS and macOS have never been better.

Desktop Macs are finally back on track now we have an updated Mini and the Mac Pro (the iMac line has always been great).

Don't really have any complaints about the iPhones nor the iPads especially now that there's a low cost iPad and the Mini has returned.

The big problem that needs fixing IMO is the laptops. Some of that is down to Intel but things like the keyboard, the touchbar and the comical lack of I/O are self-made errors.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It was a little raw at first but it was a step in the right direction. I really don't like skeuomorphism and UI inconsistency!

Skeuomorphism has its virtues, and (like a lot of things in design) goes largely unnoticed by the user when done well. Most GUIs you've ever used implement some form of skeuomorphism. Pre-7 iOS's problem was that it was suffering from an unreasonable and mindless devotion to it.

I don't disagree that a change was in order, but the first few iterations of the new design were junk.

For example, iOS 7 used Helvetica Neue Light, a display weight of a display typeface, for its primary UI font, and it reduced the opacity of drop shadows under text. That is an insane usability/accessibility oversight that should have never made it past prototyping, but Apple was structured such that no one could tell Jony Ive what to do, so these bad decisions were set in stone. Anyone other than Ive would've been demoted for something that stupid.

Ive even left the marketing department in charge of 7's redesigned app icons, and then instructed the app design teams to extrapolate from those icons. In a fucking UI, Ive put form before function. That's stupid any which way, but it's even worse here because iOS 7 came out the other side looking like crap.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It was bound to happen, he has been there so long and I am sure he wants to do a lot more than design just Apple products and have more design freedom.

Still surprising, but the signs were there over the past few years.

I doubt much will change in the short term, he instilled principles and ways of thinking and processes that the team is following and the overall team is staying for now.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see his work in the gaming space. Not sure any of the big three console makers need someone like him though, as he's too upmarket.

In some respects I think he's had it 'easy' in that designing without real constraints is simultaneously liberating and terribly stifling.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing him work outside of the premium, aluminum box he sort of built himself into.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow, best of luck to him. I've owned very few Apple products in my life, but I have ALWAYS been envious of their tech design and have always gravitated toward Apple imitators when it came to Android devices and Windows laptops.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is Jony's first client and Tim Cook already said Jony is already going to be working on exclusive projects for Apple.

It's probably so jony can design other products in other industries that he is interested in while not being a full time employee of Apple.
Wonder if he's allowed to design other computers/smartphones.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if he's allowed to design other computers/smartphones.

No clue, but I would think no. He would probably want to design other products in industry that don't compete with Apple. I just don't see how he could like work with Samsung or another electronics company unless it was given the okay with Apple. But thats just me. Could be totally wrong.
Like maybe designing a OLED 55" TV would be fine if Apple was never planning on releasing one.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Jony got bored. He wanted to design things beyond computers and smartphones. When Apple Park was being built he moved his priorities to agonizing over things like doorknobs and desks. It's time to thank him and let him move on, because his mind is so distant from iPhones and Macs at this point.

Calaba

Oct 27, 2017
Not too surprising he's leaving.. when tech is going the route of all-screen everything, there's only so much you can do design wise. I bet you when he started designing the new Apple campus he knew it was time to go outside designing consumer tech products

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
am i overreacting or is the verge's tagline for this a bit... inappropriate?

JyQNrQz.jpg

to me it seems like it is referencing the "Night of the Long Knives":
a purge that took place in Nazi Germany from June 30 to July 2, 1934, when Adolf Hitler, urged on by Hermann Göring and Heinrich Himmler, ordered a series of political extrajudicial executions intended to consolidate his hold on power in Germany, as well as to alleviate the concerns of the German military about the role of Ernst Röhm and the Sturmabteilung (SA), the Nazis' own mass paramilitary organization. Nazi propaganda presented the murders as a preventive measure against an alleged imminent coup by the SA under Röhm – the so-called Röhm Putsch.

Last edited:

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
"Cupertino, California — Apple today announced that Sir Jony Ive, Apple's chief design officer, will depart the company as an employee later this year.............

YESSSS!!!!!!!!

to form an independent design company which will count Apple among its primary clients. While he pursues personal projects, Ive in his new company will continue to work closely and on a range of projects with Apple.

Fuck

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's getting older and probably feels he wants to have a design firm as his legacy, fair play to him, he's brilliant and deserves it. Doesn't seem like much will change anyway, with Apple outsourcing to him + a very likely strong internal design team, unless he's poaching everyone haha.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
His work in recent years has been terrible. I mean, the best he could do with iphone X and subsequently XS was take a four year old design (iphone 6) and basically just make it more premium-like? (polished stainless steel, glass back).

Problem is, now I worry if the 2020 iphones are still going to be the same damn form factor.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think it'll all be fine. The problem at the minute is that, as others have said, form has taken precedence over function of late - hence stuff like the keyboard issues with the Macbook.

Anyone anticipating a sudden drop off in design quality is kidding themselves. The designs for the next few years are likely pretty much locked into place. My only concern is that there's nothing in there about a successor. I'm assuming that they must have someone/a plan in place as it's been pretty common knowledge for the past few years that he's been working towards an exit but it'd be good to know what that plan is.

TBH I still see him doing work for Apple. I know that they don't usually work with 3rd parties but I can see the new company he's setting up with Marc Newsom providing things like exclusive Apple Watch straps. It'd be a very marketable association, kind of like they did with the RED phones.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Im sure hes a nice guy, no reason to think hes not

BUT

Goddamn I hate Jony Ive lol, HIS NAME IS JONATHAN. He is like, the face and PR of obnoxious product design speak

WE USED QUAXODIUM BRUSHES AND SMOOTHED THE SARLACCIOUS METALS FOR TWO DECADES IN ORDER TO REFINE AN EDGE THAT IS IMPERCEPTIBLE TO HUMANKIND FOR THOUSANDS, NAY ZILLIONS OF YEARS

ugh

Okay, rant done, sorry.
Isn't jony short for Jonathan. Bit like Chris is short for Christopher and Dick for Richard? Seem like a weird reason to HATE! someone.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's not a mistake, Apple just doesn't want you to use it wired.

Exactly. I don't get how people don't understand this.

You might hate the decision but it's as intentional as it can be. If you could use it wired a lot of people would wire their mice and Apple didn't want that. They are control freaks and wanted a wireless mice period.

And it charges fast enough that it's never an issue any way. But the design isn't "a mistake" is a clear statement.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I definitely agree with those who are saying his work has become subpar recently (especially since Steve died).

That said the man is a genius and deserves a tremendous amount of praise for his work.