• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I took more as Emma telling him "Take down Sinister if he does something he's not supposed to be doing."

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Ok I think I am getting the Hellions mixed up with the Hellfire club's Guards. I need to do a deep dive
Yeah the Hellfire Guards Wolverine took a part pretty handedly. A few of them even got cyborged up and became part of the Reavers.

The Hellions were Emma's answer to the New Mutants. They were Jetstream, Beef, Tarot, Catseye, Empath, Bevatron and Roulette. Firestar and the 2nd Thunderbird (you know him as Warpath) were also members for a cup of tea but left when Emma's more nefarious nature was revealed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I love way of X, I really need to read Spurrier's X-Men Legacy.

Also, from X-Men #20

Raven: "what about my wife?"
Xavier: "what about her?"

What a fucking dick.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I saw a page on twitter where Beast is completely aware of what a cunt he is and seemed quite proud of it lol
I thought that page was superb. Hank's increasing paranoia about others doing to him as he's done unto others is *chef kiss* for me, right down to his concerns about others tampering with his potential resurrection (as he did to Omega Red, having Charles push The Five to act according to his request when they objected to Hank's request, they had wanted to find more humane means to Hank's objective.)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the start of the Hellfire Gala, Hellions especially (as usual). It's a weird event since its basically just what it was advertised, its just a big party, and its fun to see all the other heroes there interacting (and Emma realising she reminds Rogers of his mom lol).

And not Hickman era related per se but connected to Way of X, I've been reading X-Men Legacy (the Legion book by Spurrier) and it's really good, which isn't surprising since Way of X is fantastic.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Completely speculative but I have a feel Emma might take over krakoa after Inferno. Re-reading Dawn and Power of X and a few other books and she is on the same level as Xavier and Magneto as a leader and doesn't have nearly as much baggage and secret evil plots.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Completely speculative but I have a feel Emma might take over krakoa after Inferno. Re-reading Dawn and Power of X and a few other books and she is on the same level as Xavier and Magneto as a leader and doesn't have nearly as much baggage and secret evil plots.
Yup, I was actually expecting that during the Gala, she's been scheming for a while.

And she's also controlling a good chunk of the votes in the council esp with the new council nomination hinted at in the Inferno previews/teasers.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jonathan-hickman-declan-shalvey-launch-x-men-unlimited-weekly-today/
X-MEN UNLIMITED is at the forefront of Infinity Comics, a new ongoing series that will follow the rotating adventures of Krakoa's mutants. While Wolverine and his battle against A.I.M. kicks off the first arc, expect many more guest-stars, including prominent X-Men, in weekly chapters to come. "When [series editor] Jordan White contacted me about this project, I could see the potential to experiment with how to tell a story and that was very intriguing," says series artist Shalvey. "By coloring and arranging the vertical flow of the panels, it's offered a level of innovation and control I hadn't previously experienced, which has been both uniquely challenging and satisfying." "Of course, to get to work on an X-Men title has been a dream too. I'm a huge X-fan and have very much been admiring what Jon and the X-crew have been doing. Getting to work with Jon was also very appealing… the one thing I knew going in was that working on a project like this was going to push me as a storyteller and that definitely turned out to be true." "Declan and I were pretty obsessive about stressing what we can do within the [Infinity] format and we think X-fans will be happy with the result," promises series writer Hickman. "Ask anyone and they'll tell you that I'm always up for trying out new ways to make stories, and this turned out to be a very interesting format."

I'll put it this way - if Xavier and/or Magneto are taken out of the picture, Emma would my number one pick to fill the vacuum.

Almost feels inevitable, when I think it over. Emma schemes and Has Plans but she is also direct and free of much of the existential angst that drives - and sabotages - Charles and Erik.

Emma wants the basics. Personal autonomy, stability, resources, and to her credit - she actually does care about the children and their future.

And unlike the other two who so often seem preoccupied, Emma is usually three steps ahead of anyone who poses the slightest threat to her reign and will pre-emptively fuck them right into the sun.

She seems like the perfect steward for a mutant nation.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And she has been that steward before during the Secret Empire arc. Where she indeed ran a mutant nation quite successfully considering.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I'll put it this way - if Xavier and/or Magneto are taken out of the picture, Emma would my number one pick to fill the vacuum.

Almost feels inevitable, when I think it over. Emma schemes and Has Plans but she is also direct and free of much of the existential angst that drives - and sabotages - Charles and Erik.

Emma wants the basics. Personal autonomy, stability, resources, and to her credit - she actually does care about the children and their future.

And unlike the other two who so often seem preoccupied, Emma is usually three steps ahead of anyone who poses the slightest threat to her reign and will pre-emptively fuck them right into the sun.

She seems like the perfect steward for a mutant nation.
I agree fully. Just her approach to Shaw, Beast, and Sinister shows she is way more in touch with the realities of Krakoa than Charles and Erik. They've been caught up with their own ghosts and secret plots and let some of the biggest monsters run wild. She also ran the Gala and Murader distribution which are all major political successes.

With that said I don't think Charles and Erik need to be taken out of the picture, and some of their interactions with Emma makes me think they would be ok with the change in power. They both know that they never win. Why not support a different approach of someone they always make a point of recognizing as a key piece of krakoa.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So on Reddit someone posted a question posing people's pros/cons to the Hickman era as it winds down and it got me thinking some:

Initially I was hella hyped and way into what was being laid out, but now close to two years later I don't know if things really ended up as great as we all hoped. There's definitely some really great moments and threads in there, but the entire sum of all things Hickman is leaving a little disappointed? For what it's worth i felt this way after reading Secret Wars too and how it eventually ended.

On the subject of Hank being like Dark Beast I keep wondering about a possible Cerebro backup of Dark Beast from when he was alive and in 616. Kind of a nasty little present sitting there in the archives.

It gives me this feeling that the darker Hank gets, the more he might consider trying to make use of such a thing in some way. He's made the mistake of working with Dark Beast before.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
So on Reddit someone posted a question posing people's pros/cons to the Hickman era as it winds down and it got me thinking some:

Initially I was hella hyped and way into what was being laid out, but now close to two years later I don't know if things really ended up as great as we all hoped. There's definitely some really great moments and threads in there, but the entire sum of all things Hickman is leaving a little disappointed? For what it's worth i felt this way after reading Secret Wars too and how it eventually ended.
Hickman likes to play it patient with the way he writes but it's easy to stick with it because he usually spaces out regular big moments and big reveals at good intervals. You get the feeling it's always going somewhere and even the slow stuff is still well written.

But this time it's not just his story - it's a whole writers room. So he took it on himself to do a loooooot of seeding during Dawn of X but the only real resolution we got so far was X of Swords (Apocalypse's story.) That's it. So what Reign of X really needed to do was open the floodgates but instead there are still way too many loose threads (and redacted text left.) Reign of X hasn't resolved anything. It advanced X-Men Cosmic a bit with Planet Sized and it advanced Children of the Vault a bit but no resolution. Writers like Duggan and Percy are way too comfortable noodling around with threads that don't matter and don't go anywhere (Ex. Longshot was in the Reign of X teaser. What we got: Logan breaks Longshot out of an auction and then Longshot peaces out. Readers shrug.)

Now that Hickman's leaving, all these big ideas left hanging really stand out and it's disappointing. Does that mean the Krakoa era X-Men is a disappointment? Not necessarily. Inferno will finally move the needle and is an opportunity for the other writers to step up depending on where Hickman leaves things moving into the Second Krakoan Age. Ewing, Spurrier and Wells are still here and still excellent. If 2022 is more of the same, though, then we're in trouble but I have faith.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
them not letting Deadpool into the gala is a real dick move btw, I'm kinda semi-actually upset at that lol

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The momentum coming off of HOX/POX was immense but it tapered off once this became the status quo and not an ongoing, evolving situation. More and more dud stories/books kept sneaking in as it went along too but that feels inevitable. I still had a lot of fun with stuff like Hickman's initial X Men book, X Factor, Way of X, Maruaders and X Force though. I can't say I'm took disappointed, it just didn't go the way I would have taken it.

Oct 25, 2017
The momentum coming off of HOX/POX was immense but it tapered off once this became the status quo and not an ongoing, evolving situation. More and more dud stories/books kept sneaking in as it went along too but that feels inevitable. I still had a lot of fun with stuff like Hickman's initial X Men book, X Factor, Way of X, Maruaders and X Force though. I can't say I'm took disappointed, it just didn't go the way I would have taken it.

Initial run of Marauders was a blast, Hellions had been the best so far and yeah way of x has been a treat

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I feel that overall since X of Swords ended a lot of momentum has stopped. The Gala storyline and Wanda's "death" have been interesting for sure-but overall I feel that a lot of the books are just kind of directionless with no momentum. X-Force, Wolverine and Maruaders lately just feel like they are treading water.

Oct 8, 2019
Considering the previous quality of X-men comics yeah this is great, you have a lot of series doing stuff I want them to do.

I want the New Mutants to be about teaching the next generation of Mutants. I want Hellions to be about people recovering from trauma. I want the X-men to be about the X-men helping people.

I dont want to see the mutants under constant threat from extinction, I dont want to see X-men vs Fantastic Four, New Mutants vs the Young Avengers. I dont want to see marvel heroes come off like they actually despise a minority group, like the time that they started to compare Cyclops to Hitler.

cyclops-right-02.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that overall since X of Swords ended a lot of momentum has stopped. The Gala storyline and Wanda's "death" have been interesting for sure-but overall I feel that a lot of the books are just kind of directionless with no momentum. X-Force, Wolverine and Maruaders lately just feel like they are treading water.

Marauders is frustrating after the start

New Mutants feels like it's spinning wheels

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the previous quality of X-men comics yeah this is great, you have a lot of series doing stuff I want them to do.

I want the New Mutants to be about teaching the next generation of Mutants. I want Hellions to be about people recovering from trauma. I want the X-men to be about the X-men helping people.

I dont want to see the mutants under constant threat from extinction, I dont want to see X-men vs Fantastic Four, New Mutants vs the Young Avengers. I dont want to see marvel heroes come off like they actually despise a minority group, like the time that they started to compare Cyclops to Hitler.

cyclops-right-02.jpg
Ah that infamous period of time where the editorial line was that Cyclops had done something horrible but they couldn't decide what horrible thing he'd done. And when they eventually did that story, the terrible thing was revealed to be destroying a poison gas cloud which only killed minorities. Which in hindsight makes every character who slammed Cylcops a total monster.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in that Hickman interview, it was clear they were going to do bigger events sooner but everyone loved the setting so much they wanted to keep it going longer, I have a feeling we probably would have hit Inferno last year if we kept to hickmans timeline

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Did we get confirmation that X Lives/Deaths of Wolvie is weekly? Are they doing the same thing as Hox/Pox and then relaunching everything?

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I'm okay with Hellions stopping as long as Zeb Wells is starting another ongoing in 2022. I don't know how much more there is to get out of the Hellion characters, especially now that Sinister is on the outs. But I really need Wells to stay :(