• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Oct 8, 2019
Trial of Magneto was very good.
A bit perplexing to see Erik getting this violent again.
The art was good.

Also, the original Brotherhood having a toast was great.

A person that Magneto considers his daughter just died, and outside of two other people the council either didnt care (Storm, Xavier, Exodus), or were making snarky comments (Emma Frost, Mr Sinister) followed by Magneto going outside and seeing people celebrate the death of Wanda Maximoff.

The end result is the destruction of the House of M, as Quicksilver, and Lorna try to kill Magneto, Magneto insults Lorna, and Lorna fires back by blaming the deaths of the women Magneto loves on him. Quicksilver also blames Magneto for Wanda's death screaming at him before acknowledging that he failed to protect her something his sworn he would do since their very first appearance in X-men #4.

All of them are grieving and they are taking it out on each other in that grief. The Brotherhood meet and have a drink in memory of Wanda, Kyle comforts Tommy whose all alone because SWORD is preventing the Kree Skrull Alliance from contacting Earth, and Vision contacts the rest of the Avengers only to get the horrible news from Xavier.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The callousness towards Wanda's death in regards to Magneto is gross. I still hate the whole Pretender shtick with the mutants. Wanda has redeemed herself-in AvS she and Hope were responsible for the saving everyone and restoring the mutant population. And Uncanny Avengers redeemed her in Rogue's eyes. And let's not pretend half the mutants on Krakoa haven't done some vile shit in the past that were just forgiven. The Phoenix Five themselves are the perfect example. "Oh it wasn't our fault". Well it wasn't Wanda's. She wasn't well. The callousness is cruel and I'm on team Magneto.

If Selene, Emplate, Apoclaypse, Shadow King and Sinister got a clean slate then they can drop the animosity towards Wanda.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
The callousness towards Wanda's death in regards to Magneto is gross. I still hate the whole Pretender shtick with the mutants. Wanda has redeemed herself-in AvS she and Hope were responsible for the saving everyone and restoring the mutant population. And Uncanny Avengers redeemed her in Rogue's eyes. And let's not pretend half the mutants on Krakoa haven't done some vile shit in the past that were just forgiven. The Phoenix Five themselves are the perfect example. "Oh it wasn't our fault". Well it wasn't Wanda's. She wasn't well. The callousness is cruel and I'm on team Magneto.

If Selene, Emplate, Apoclaypse, Shadow King and Sinister got a clean slate then they can drop the animosity towards Wanda.
Fair enough, but they're still actively cleaning up Wanda's mess whereas the problems caused by the other mutant villains have pretty much been resolved by now. The crucible existing as a Krakoan ritual is a direct result of Wanda's mass depowering, and lots of mutants are still contending with the loss of their abilities. They're literally dying to undo what happened because of her powers. She's also part of the reason why there's a constant backlog of mutants in the resurrection queue.

I didn't like AvX as an event, so I never really considered the bridges between her and mutants fully mended. Rogue might be over it based on later events, but I can understand why most mutants aren't, even without the additional demonizing that started happening once Krakoa formed.

But yeah, Magneto's attitude here was believable to me, and he's easy to root for. That's especially true since he's presumably being framed. I've never liked Wanda in the comics, but I could be convinced otherwise if they handle it well. I don't feel like AvX did that because it was a mess and everyone was acting dumb the whole time.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough, but they're still actively cleaning up Wanda's mess whereas the problems caused by the other mutant villains have pretty much been resolved by now. The crucible existing as a Krakoan ritual is a direct result of Wanda's mass depowering, and lots of mutants are still contending with the loss of their abilities. They're literally dying to undo what happened because of her powers. She's also part of the reason why there's a constant backlog of mutants in the resurrection queue.

I didn't like AvX as an event, so I never really considered the bridges between her and mutants fully mended. Rogue might be over it based on later events, but I can understand why most mutants aren't, even without the additional demonizing that started happening once Krakoa formed.

But yeah, Magneto's attitude here was believable to me, and he's easy to root for. That's especially true since he's presumably being framed. I've never liked Wanda in the comics, but I could be convinced otherwise if they handle it well. I don't feel like AvX did that because it was a mess and everyone was acting dumb the whole time.
Yeah and Wanda is a very convenient "devil" for mutant society to point to and unite against. She did all that shit and then it turns out she was never even a mutant in the first place and she's walking around free in human society, it's the perfect tale of human treachery to scare kids with and build a unifying culture around. The truth of her being "unwell" is completely irrelevant for that purpose and the Crucible acts as a constant reminder

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
The fuq is going on with the Marvel app? I used to buy all my digital issues from there. They have the Trials of Magneto on the front page as a banner, but when I click it I get a Comixology error. And the issue is not listed under "just added" for today like usual. The only X issue they have today is X Corp.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
The fuq is going on with the Marvel app? I used to buy all my digital issues from there. They have the Trials of Magneto on the front page as a banner, but when I click it I get a Comixology error. And the issue is not listed under "just added" for today like usual. The only X issue they have today is X Corp.
Wasn't the Marvel/Comixology app discontinued? I remember there being something about that years ago... YOu should just be able to use the Comixology app and have access to all your marvel comics there, I believe

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I'm sure they would if she's a mutant. The question is.... is she a mutant? :)
I'd like to know how she "tricked" Cerebro for so long and got backed-up... as well as how they figured out she wasn't a mutant... seems really convenient.

But, of course, as we've seen, she isn't really dead... Maybe we should call her Wanda Schroendinger instead of Maximoff

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the Marvel/Comixology app discontinued? I remember there being something about that years ago... YOu should just be able to use the Comixology app and have access to all your marvel comics there, I believe
Not to my knowledge. I've been using the app to buy all my Hixman issues lol. I can still buy stuff on it today, it's just that Trials is marked "not available digitally" on Marvel.com. First time I've had this issue.

As an aside, stuff I bought on the Marvel Comic app is definitely not under my library the Comixology unless I'm doing something wrong.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Trial of Mageneto is fucking dumb. Such a waste of character development. Considering dropping x books.

Kelsdesu I'm starting to see things your way. This shit is fucking stupid.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get about the Trial of Magneto … when he was accused of having killed Wanda why didn't he just say "No, I did not!" with his helmet off. They have how many telepaths who could have easily confirmed of he was telling the truth or not?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get about the Trial of Magneto … when he was accused of having killed Wanda why didn't he just say "No, I did not!" with his helmet off. They have how many telepaths who could have easily confirmed of he was telling the truth or not?

He obviously has something to do with it. He probably didn't literally kill her, but he's probably an accessory in some way.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Trial of Mageneto is fucking dumb. Such a waste of character development. Considering dropping x books.

Kelsdesu I'm starting to see things your way. This shit is fucking stupid.
I kind of feel the same way. it is dumb. The X-Men are dumb for blinding attacking him based on guesses. He's dumb for lashing out. I wasn't impressed with the writing in the book sadly.

This is a world where things are never what they seem, telepathic manipulation, shapeshifters, etc. They should know better.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel the same way. it is dumb. The X-Men are dumb for blinding attacking him based on guesses. He's dumb for lashing out. I wasn't impressed with the writing in the book sadly.

This is a world where things are never what they seem, telepathic manipulation, shapeshifters, etc. They should know better.
Yes, precisely. I can't believe they're serious with this series.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Magneto and Xavier are still keeping Moira a secret. A telepathic probe might have revealed that.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Because I think he's only half telling the truth. She was bond by magnetism use. Confirmed by multiple sources.

Oct 8, 2019
Look people if my loved one was murdered and signs pointed to her father I would be completely rational

Its not like these scenes are call backs to previous comic scenes like House of M

house-of-m-1-quicksilver.jpg

Magneto's wife Magda fled from him when their child Anya died, and Magda was so scared of Magneto that she abandoned her children to the High Evolutionary and Bova and fled into the winter and she was never seen again.

Polaris accidentally killed her own parents before seeing first hand the destruction of Genosha

These people have lived fucked up lives, and haven't been portrayed as mentally stable for decades

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Look people if my loved one was murdered and signs pointed to her father I would be completely rational

Its not like these scenes are call backs to previous comic scenes like House of M

house-of-m-1-quicksilver.jpg

Magneto's wife Magda fled from him when their child Anya died, and Magda was so scared of Magneto that she abandoned her children to the High Evolutionary and Bova and fled into the winter and she was never seen again.

Polaris accidentally killed her own parents before seeing first hand the destruction of Genosha

These people have lived fucked up lives, and haven't been portrayed as mentally stable for decades

I understand the point you are trying to make but I disagree with it. The whole point of self reflection is understanding your past and ensuring you don't make the same mistakes multiple times because you have been down this road before. Magneto violently lashing out at Xavier to me over this past year is out of character for someone who made this promise just a year ago:

magnetoxavier.png

This shows that someone is not paying attention. Regarding awareness, existentially speaking, Krakoa knows there are outside forces out there attempting to destroy what they have built. Because, you know, they have done it before. Subterfuge is obviously the case. They are on an island where there is all manners of abilities and technology that could have easily done this and can be used to do something like this. Lets not forget a certain person who was reveling in Magneto's rage who was supposed to do a job but didn't. My point being that the conflict in the book was completely lacking in any self awareness or knowledge of the continuity of the past year.

For the writer to miss this point in the first book sets a bad tone for the rest of the series and X-men books going forward. Especially if Hickman is done.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Because I think he's only half telling the truth. She was bond by magnetism use. Confirmed by multiple sources.
If she was bound by magnetism (which might not be true after all) and Magneto was involved that would be a reason for him to resist a probe but not for a telepath not to try or at least suggest it. They just don't do it until it's too late and he's in a coma.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems a bit early to conclude the writer isn't paying attention to me. I imagine there's another explanation for why certain people are acting out of character.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Seems a bit early to conclude the writer isn't paying attention to me. I imagine there's another explanation for why certain people are acting out of character.
I feel like it's all due to the religious zeal that has painted Wanda as a true villain AS WELL AS the absolute trauma all mutants went through during NMM.

Wanda did horrible stuff, but she has been severely traumatized and abused. From what I've seen in other books, she is processing and healing, but she is not off the hook.

However, krakoa compounded her crimes by making her out to be a Judas figure. Mutants don't see her as a person but a force of nature that infiltrated them and then destroyed them. They can't see her as a person; everything is stacked against her.

But, ultimately, that didn't kill her. She is being used by another party... Again.

I hope this arc brings some therapy and recovery to Wanda... As well as a restoration of her mutant status.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Lost me at "Rachel, help me bring Magneto to the Healing Gardens"...help with what? How? He's a normal sized and weighted man well under even a single percent of Jean's or Rachel's TK strength.

Hate dumb writing like that

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Xavier was so clinical about her death was just off the charts bizarre.

"Whelp. Sorry that this superhero who has saved the world countless times died from foul play in our tropical paradise-and I know she's your adopted daughter Eric-but does anyone else have anything else to say? I have a tee time at 3. I *could* bring her back-since this is Krakoa and all the rules are made up-but I'm not so there."

I know Xavier changed in House of X to be focused on mutants foremost but the lack of compassion is baffling. Xavier has always been a complex character but he was never flat out cruel. There was always a reason for his moral ambiguity.

I didn't even like Storm voting against resurrection. Storm is always a beacon of decency and being humane.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
lol

IMG-0779.jpg

Sure but it must get tiresome worrying about the fate of the entire line at the start of every new storyline.

Honestly, yes. Especially when it sets the tone for other writers post Hickman. Have you read Slott's F4? It has the same exact problems this book does and I have been on it since the start of the run. If anything I have gotten really good at spotting these early.

Honesly, if anything it frees up money to buy other books.

Oct 8, 2019
Considering how Hickman has been writing Xavier as a guy who lies to Mystique about bringing back her dead wife. Then yeah this series portrayal of Charles Xavier has been accurate to how his been written.

X-Men-20-Mystique-Warns-Professor-X-Magneto.jpg

Hickman also portrayed Xavier as making an alliance with Mr. Sinister to change his focus from cataloging DNA in general to exclusively focus on Mutants, which lead to the mutant Massacre, the original Inferno, and the Legacy Virus storyline (Stryfe had it released by telling Mr. Sinister it was Summers DNA from the future).

Charles Xavier has done a ton of questionable things that will eventually bite him in the ass come Inferno.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
You must've saw my hot take post. Bloated unoriginal mess. In fact yo ass shoulda known shit was trash the minute they let Dan Slott fuck up Franklin.
Yup. You right. Slott fucked the F4 all the way up. Imagine all that progress to get all wiped away because he doesn't know how to write a teenager. Or let Johnny Storm grow up. Dude was captured and tortured in the negative zone. If that doesn't give you scars.. or at least make you a responsible adult then I don't know man. Seems to me he has no fuckin clue and hasn't read a book outside of Stans original stuff if i'm being honest..

What's annoying mostly is this writer in particular is actually good. Williams X-Factor was a fun read and Marvel is so dumb to cancel that book. It's funny because they're the best part of this book.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder how important Onslaught's influence in Way of X is to everything that's going on. It's kind of hard to ignore that there's a psychic entity running around making everyone on the island more aggro and irrational. It would fit well with how Magneto flew off the handle but at the same that's a very cheap answer and comics have trained me to believe it'll mostly be self contained to Way of X

Oct 29, 2017
I do wonder how important Onslaught's influence in Way of X is to everything that's going on. It's kind of hard to ignore that there's a psychic entity running around making everyone on the island more aggro and irrational. It would fit well with how Magneto flew off the handle but at the same that's a very cheap answer and comics have trained me to believe it'll mostly be self contained to Way of X
WoX is super weird because there's so much bombastic shit happening there that doesn't make a single ripple anywhere else lol

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

Even if that were the case it would have been cheap excuse with all of the other psychics out there who would notice that.

I think I have said what I needed to say for this first issue. It's off to a bad start. They should have at least waited another year or two to tell this story.

WoX is super weird because there's so much bombastic shit happening there that doesn't make a single ripple anywhere else lol

Same with X-corp imo. A lot of things happening there that don't seem to impact anything. It's pretty good though.