• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
New Mutants isn't doing it for me anymore. The book is just so…slipshod. It's hard to pin it down but I'm bored by it.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
So I'm watching Young Justice S3 and it's funny that this week's X-books are Marauders and New Mutants because I feel like Young Justice is a better version of both of these books. The basic premise of season 3 is that young meta-humans are being forcibly activated and trafficked internationally/intergalactically, and governments/bureaucracies are tying the League's hands, the young hero team works off the books to help free scared kids with new powers. It's basically X-Men lol. And I would expect more stories like this coming out of Marauders instead of kinda boring Hellfire drama.

And compared with the kids in New Mutants, I realize, they're a bit unlikable aren't they? Just a lot of bitterly yelling at each other with tiny moments of saccharine we're told they feel, instead of me feeling it myself by seeing it. I can relate a lot more to the teens in Young Justice and their drama. I guess it comes down to the dialogue writing.

Also, Ewing's gonna force me to start reading Guardians isn't he? Dammit.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So, they might have expanded Inferno. Said it was gonna be 4 parts at 40 pages a piece, for 160 pages total. But Inferno #2 (still "of 4") solicit has that at 56 pages for $6USD. It could be the original count didn't account for data pages, but 16 data pages sounds nuts for a single issue, regardless of basically any circumstances. The book got bigger.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, they might have expanded Inferno. Said it was gonna be 4 parts at 40 pages a piece, for 160 pages total. But Inferno #2 (still "of 4") solicit has that at 56 pages for $6USD. It could be the original count didn't account for data pages, but 16 data pages sounds nuts for a single issue, regardless of basically any circumstances. The book got bigger.
I'll take anything in these 16 pages lol

Seriously, I like these big book formats. Except when they pad out anniversary issues with stories I could give two shits about.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
S.W.O.R.D. is one of those books that just sounds really cool... until you start reading it and realize it's just a stage for other books and crossovers to occur.

If you really think about it, all the non-crossover issues of S.W.O.R.D. are just crossover issues for the Hellfire Gala. I haven't been able to read one story about the team itself yet.

S.W.O.R.D. exists only to serve other books, and none of its characters. What's worse is that this book's addition to the other items can be easily summarized in a sentence in the other books it is servicing.

Hard pass on this book from now on. What a waste of a premise.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
SDCC panel is pre-recorded. I skipped through it. Seems like a big nothingburger, but I did watch the Inferno part. Jordan says it's a "big turning point" for a lot of what they have planned and that it'll be hard to choose a side. So not the end confirmed, for whoever was still thinking this was it.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I'm watching it rn, and they openly discussed Evan being dead due to Age of X and not resurrected because of the protocols relating to clones. Did we know that for sure already?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
But still nothing about Hickman staying or going?

Nope. mention one way or another, at least not during the part where Inferno comes up.

I'm watching it rn, and they openly discussed Evan being dead due to Age of X and not resurrected because of the protocols relating to clones. Did we know that for sure already?

He was on a list of ineligible characters like Jimmy Hudson and Bloodstorm.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Inferno really is going to be Schism 2.0 after all isn't it? God I hated Schism and everything that came from it. It is Hickman writing it so I shouldn't condemn it, just got a bad taste in my mouth.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
SDCC panel is pre-recorded. I skipped through it. Seems like a big nothingburger, but I did watch the Inferno part. Jordan says it's a "big turning point" for a lot of what they have planned and that it'll be hard to choose a side. So not the end confirmed, for whoever was still thinking this was it.
I've noticed that Hickman stopped giving any public interviews about X-men this year. It's a little odd given how in previous years he was in the forefront hyping HoX/PoX, then X of Swords, etc. This year he has been super quiet...

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For someone who is 'The Head of X', Hickman sure does have a luxury of appearing in public however he wants huh.

Still strange to me that Jordan can't just say 'Hickman for sure is staying, this is not the end for him.'

Or perhaps it would spoil what comes next idk.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
For someone who is 'The Head of X', Hickman sure does have a luxury of appearing in public however he wants huh.

Still strange to me that Jordan can't just say 'Hickman for sure is staying, this is not the end for him.'

Or perhaps it would spoil what comes next idk.
Saying nothing is confirmation that he's staying. If Inferno were the grand finale of his story, they would be advertising that point non-stop.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Saying nothing is confirmation that he's staying. If Inferno were the grand finale of his story, they would be advertising that point non-stop.

Excepting if there has been conflict and Marvel is continuing the direction without Hickman.

And look, I don't want to get into conspiracy theory nonsense and I recognize I'm approaching that now, I just find the whole thing odd that there can't be an easy confirmation.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What added a lot of smoke to that fire was that White interview where he could have just flat out said "yeah, Hickman is staying" when asked but instead went on a tirade that everything was going to be fine, that Hickman had mapped things out, and they had tremendous talent working on things, and everything was going to be fine.
I wasn't too worried before that "you know we love you very much much" moment tbh.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's felt aimless for the whole run, IMO. It's trying to balance too many characters.
Eh originally it was doing short contained stories and it worked. Since it's started the long haul with the kids and Shadow King and Wolfsbane's kid and Karma's Brother and Does no one care about this or that.

It just feels a bit bloated with no resolution forthcoming.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like games. And Madripoor--it's one big shell game. The place lures you in with seduction...distracts you with sleight of hand...then goes in for the kill.
You go swimming in dark waters...you're asking to get bit.
With that culprit still out in the wind and no leads, there's only one man for the job, and he's the best there is at what he does...

I can't tell if Percy is trying to be a parody of a 40s noir novel or play it completely straight. Either way it's delightfully campy.

The SWORD crossover is far better than the last one, because it just works on its own. You can believe that this thing is happening out there somewhere and SWORD is using it to further its own alliances.
And that data page placement is truly chef's kiss.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cable and sword were both great today

that doom storm dinner, god damn. I want a whole series of dinners between them, just talking and occasionally lighting the table up to flex

cable was such a good book, might be my favorite duggan book I've read so far. these last two issues really tied the whole book together and I loved all the stuff with esme. phil noto is great too. pretty sure there's a hardcover coming so I'll definitely be picking that up

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
1j3b9Mk.jpg
Artist mistake?

nMOscvI.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
S.W.O.R.D. is one of those books that just sounds really cool... until you start reading it and realize it's just a stage for other books and crossovers to occur.

If you really think about it, all the non-crossover issues of S.W.O.R.D. are just crossover issues for the Hellfire Gala. I haven't been able to read one story about the team itself yet.

S.W.O.R.D. exists only to serve other books, and none of its characters. What's worse is that this book's addition to the other items can be easily summarized in a sentence in the other books it is servicing.

Hard pass on this book from now on. What a waste of a premise.
I don't think that's entirely fair given when it launched; being caught up in Hellfire Gala and King In Black were a given.

However, the entire premise of SWORD is based off of Ewing's past stuff in Avengers: Never Surrender, No Way Home, and the Empyre crossover, so it feeding into the cosmic stuff, especially with the other book he's writing that also fed off of those aforementioned titles and his Ultimates run makes sense.

There was no way two space books written by the same person wouldn't cross over. If you like the premise, it makes no sense to leave when things are actually starting to lean into itself.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
The end of Cable that felt like an epilogue was confusing af to this novice reader. Then again, Cable and his time-traveling shenanigans have always challenged me. Does anyone have a quick summary?

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
X-men #2 was great, love the training/bonding with Jean and Everett, Jean and Lorna teaming up, and the whole vibe and dynamics of the team

Oct 25, 2017
I might start removing some of the weekly from my subs. I was really into New Mutant but just not loving this shadow king point. Excalibur is frustrating because I love it's weirdness but it also feels like it's spinning wheels. I'm indifferent on Marauders and XForce, at one point Marauders was a top pick for me.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm probably the only one in the entire X-fandom, but Pepe Larraz's art just doesn't do it for me. In a way, it's too good - there's too much going on at once in each panel and my eyes are having a hard time finding a focal point.
Also, isn't it a bit odd to have a one-shot with an Annihilation Wave happen at the same time as an unrelated Last Annihilation event is running?

Hellions, though. Hellions. I'm glad they seem to be going with a longer running arc now, because this series deserves it. Probably the best current ongoing, now that X-Factor's been cancelled.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hellions was just wow. Best issue in the week again. Finally Chimeras. Fucking Sinister. Praise Tarn.