• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Wanda is in on the whole plot. She agreed to be killed so Mags can prove she is a mutant.

When proven, she will be resurrected and, now known as a mutant, be cleansed of her role in destroying mutants. She will be purified and become a messiah figure...

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SWORD preview. All hail the queen
sword-7-preview-2-1274204.jpeg

sword-7-preview-1-1274207.jpeg

And X-Men 1. Pepe is the master.
3.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Exodus wouldn't do this. If you're indoctrinating your youth through a shared mythology, you don't actually kill Satan.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Um why is a Jewish Man and Romani woman being put in a classic Christian painting pose?
Magneto is one of the full-on Krakoan kool-aiders, so I doubt he cares about religion/ethnicity any more because they're human things.
Wanda...is dead and doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

The real answer, though, is "it looks cool". Also, Valerio Schiti is Italian so he's probably been dying to do this somewhere.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll go for it anyway. If I am wanting to start this, do I only need to read the series written by Hickman to get the full story?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Magneto is one of the full-on Krakoan kool-aiders, so I doubt he cares about religion/ethnicity any more because they're human things.

The real answer, though, is "it looks cool". Also, Valerio Schiti is Italian so he's probably been dying to do this somewhere.
I mean in the real world. It's sort of tone death.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll go for it anyway. If I am wanting to start this, do I only need to read the series written by Hickman to get the full story?
You could do that but given how connected everything is I don't think that's a great way of reading this era. The Hickman book was more about introducing stuff which was paid off in other books and then you get to the X of Swords crossover where you would need to read more than just the issues Hickman wrote because it crossed over with everything. I would strongly suggest if you wanted to get on board to read the Dawn of X trades after finishing House of X/Powers of X. The Dawn of X trades collect every single issue in reading order.

House of X/Powers of X
Dawn of X Volumes 1-16
X of Swords
Reign of X 1-onwards
Hellfire Gala

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You could do that but given how connected everything is I don't think that's a great way of reading this era. The Hickman book was more about introducing stuff which was paid off in other books and then you get to the X of Swords crossover where you would need to read more than just the issues Hickman wrote because it crossed over with everything. I would strongly suggest if you wanted to get on board to read the Dawn of X trades after finishing House of X/Powers of X. The Dawn of X trades collect every single issue in reading order.

House of X/Powers of X
Dawn of X Volumes 1-16
X of Swords
Reign of X 1-onwards
Hellfire Gala
Thanks for the reply. I'll follow that reading order when I start.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
More or less than a Romani woman being a literal witch?
I would say equally as bad considering they added the whole Romani thing later into her backstory.

At least you can call that a bad trope. Using that imagery though is a little what the hell

The art is real cool but it makes me cringe a bit to see it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

that's a Mark Brooks cover

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm guessing at this point Rogue's resurrections protocols include the instructions "mix in some Kree DNA because we're all used to those powers."
Our she is in her ultimate form where she can use any power she's absorbed before.

Edit - and bring back the sleeve tattoo dammit!

Rogue01.jpg

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like COTA ends next issue. It wasn't as bad as Fallen Angels, but I think it'll still be remembered as one of the era's duds.

Is it possible for Marvel to set up a superhero base that isn't in New York? There's an entire world out there and everyone keeps gravitating back to it.
Then again, this goes all the way back to Namor continually somehow finding himself in New York in the 40s, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by now.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Looks like COTA ends next issue. It wasn't as bad as Fallen Angels, but I think it'll still be remembered as one of the era's duds.

Is it possible for Marvel to set up a superhero base that isn't in New York? There's an entire world out there and everyone keeps gravitating back to it.
Then again, this goes all the way back to Namor continually somehow finding himself in New York in the 40s, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by now.
I think it always go back to the fact that Marvel is headquartered in New York and thus all the other major Marvel comics are set there, too.

Oct 26, 2017
I think CoTA spent a little too long on it's core mystery, the actual characters are compelling and I hope this isn't the last we see from them.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think CoTA spent a little too long on it's core mystery, the actual characters are compelling and I hope this isn't the last we see from them.
Yeah, I think it would have been much better if they spent issue one establishing the premise as "these are normal kids using alien tech to simulate X-Men powers, they wish they were mutants because they want to be special" and then the rest of the series was exploring their individual motivations and how it applies to their heroic acts.

They prioritised a largely uninteresting mystery over the characters, and it really suffered for it.

It's odd that the original sell for this was "a comic for Gen Z-ers". Do any zoomers here feel like this was more aimed at them than, say, X-Factor?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Since Comixology is having a Marvel BOGO sale this week, I decided to use it to buy the issues of S.W.O.R.D. to catch up. I've already been reading Hellions and will follow the new X-Men Book.

If Way of X and Marauders also worth catching up on?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Today's X-Men referenced John Proudstar's death way back in Giant-Size X-Men (at least that's what I assume the reference was), and characterized the new Treehouse as a memorial "to great mutants who are no longer with us." But shouldn't Krakoa render all that moot now? Or do the Cerebro backups only go so far back, and there are some mutants whose deaths are simply too old to resurrect?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Today's X-Men referenced John Proudstar's death way back in Giant-Size X-Men (at least that's what I assume the reference was), and characterized the new Treehouse as a memorial "to great mutants who are no longer with us." But shouldn't Krakoa render all that moot now? Or do the Cerebro backups only go so far back, and there are some mutants whose deaths are simply too old to resurrect?
I've wondered why John hasn't been resurrected.

Oct 26, 2017

Possibly, though there's also the fact that resurrection is a state secret for now.

EDIT: The X books this week were REALLY good, Hellions just won't stop getting better. I'm kinda shocked that I didn't like the book until the last issue of the first arc given how much I like it now.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

The concept really made that book DOA for me. I couldn't care less about what TikTok teens get up to in the Krakoan era. I don't really get who they did that one for.

Oct 25, 2017
CoTA sucked, all that mystery for nothing, wasn't even remotely interesting, glad it's ending. X-factor and Hellions tho, great stuff

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men 1 was great, interesting story with some old and new foes, and incredible art, I will definitely stick with it.
Hellions was Hellions, aka best book of the week every week it comes out.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is so intense now. X-Men are fighting aliens on two fronts. XENO is asserting its grasp over Weapon Plus. And humans are apparently cracking the res protocols.

Shit's hype.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is so intense now. X-Men are fighting aliens on two fronts. XENO is asserting its grasp over Weapon Plus. And humans are apparently cracking the res protocols.

Shit's hype.

X-Men #1 had that cinematic, "event" feel. Duggan has trained for this and Larraz has been here. Now they have the X-Men beating the Avengers at their own game.

Oct 25, 2017
The prior book started at #1 after Dawn of X/Powers of X mini-series. It was a monthly anthology that seeded plot hooks for the rest of the current X-books.

Now it returns to following a consistent team based in NY and numbering has restarted at #1.

Thanks, just bought it and re-subbed to the new series. I wish Comixology just did that instead of having to manage the series but i get why it's this why