• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
This seems a bit unlikely.

Xavier and Magneto in particular were pretty shitty to Franklin Richards after they discovered he had been faking his X-gene, and Magneto specifically had a line (in SWORD?) about not needing the assistance of any more false mutants.
Sinister made himself a mutant and nobody cares. Neither Xavier or Mags ever thought Franklin was their child so they don't have an emotional connection and would want to break the rules for him. Even if Mags didn't kill Wanda and I don't think it was him, I can see him trying to bring her back as a mutant.

Oct 25, 2017
What if in trying to bring her back as a favor to Mags, they realize she really was a mutant but maybe with a different power set or something, i don't know.

Oct 8, 2019
Wanda isn't a mutant though, unless they want to Retcon out Uncanny Avengers. They *could* but it would be a ridiculous mess on top of what is already a ridiculous retcon mess.

Edit: Jason Aaron would definitely do it though, just to be clear.

To be fair modern X-men has been known to just ignore certain characterization if it gets in the way like Wanda being done with Martrydom

uncanny-a-1-scaled.jpg

Or Magik being written as an insane person who could have removed the Juggernaut's power from Colossus but kept it to teach Colossus a lesson which was that Magik was insane. Colossus vowed to kill her. Now she's being prepped to be the next sorceress supreme and teaches Children magic.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sinister made himself a mutant and nobody cares.

Sinister was approached BEFORE Xavier and Mags knew he was a mutant for two important reasons. They would need him to develop the technology that would lead to Chimeras, and he was too dangerous not to keep a very close eye on. Different ball of wax.

Neither Xavier or Mags ever thought Franklin was their child so they don't have an emotional connection and would want to break the rules for him.

Both of those all but declared war on the FF *and* Dr Doom for the right for Franklin to claim his birth right during FF/Xmen. On the other hand, The second Franklin's X-gene was determined to be fraudulent they dropped him like yesterday's trash.

Even if you want to stretch Magneto's attachment into wanting to make a crazy exception for Wanda, Council is more than just Magneto.

Nightcrawler would likely be the most in favor.

Professor X, Storm, Kate Pryde, and Emma frost are neutral at best.

Shaw and Mystique would be negative.

Exodus is openly hostile to the idea.

And Empyre: Xmen doesn't help her case AT ALL.

Even if Mags didn't kill Wanda and I don't think it was him, I can see him trying to bring her back as a mutant.

I don't entirely see this happening- again its a mess. If you bring back Wanda as a mutant what do you do with Quicksilver? Murder him too?

And even if she IS a mutant she's still the one that caused Decimation regardless and a LOT of people are very sore about this. They've been indoctrinatinating children that she's a great evil as long as Krakoa has been a thing.

Just walking that back with a resurrection is quite frankly a big old mess. I can see Aaron doing it because he's a hack writer and his book is a disaster, but the X books have been better written across the board since the HOX/POX collaboration and avoid stuff like this.

You're free to disagree of course.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sinister was approached BEFORE Xavier and Mags knew he was a mutant for two important reasons. They would need him to develop the technology that would lead to Chimeras, and he was too dangerous not to keep a very close eye on. Different ball of wax.

Both of those all but declared war on the FF *and* Dr Doom for the right for Franklin to claim his birth right during FF/Xmen. On the other hand, The second Franklin's X-gene was determined to be fraudulent they dropped him like yesterday's trash.

I don't entirely see this happening- again its a mess. If you bring back Wanda as a mutant what do you do with Quicksilver? Murder him too?

And even if she IS a mutant she's still the one that caused Decimation regardless and a LOT of people are very sore about this. They've been indoctrinatinating children that she's a great evil as long as Krakoa has been a thing.

Just walking that back with a resurrection is quite frankly a big old mess. I can see Aaron doing it because he's a hack writer and his book is a disaster, but the X books have been better written across the board since the HOX/POX collaboration and avoid stuff like this.

They don't need to walk it back, you can write into it and come out fine, IMO.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's also how we get Hickman, Ewing, and Morrison. Not everyone can do it, but it's not impossible.

And with the people on the X-line right now, I think they could pull it off.

We'll see where they go with it. Should be interesting.

I would say that the biggest argument for "not doing that" doesn't lie in the issue that its a continuity disaster that makes little sense.

It's that a lot of effort has gone into aligning 616 Wanda and MCU wanda into having similar origins.

Rewriting her into a mutant (why?) blows all that up. Do you still consider it likely?

Oct 8, 2019

The whole problem with Wanda is that they have never had a follow up plan for Decimation or any of the fixes.

Wanda goes insane and kills a bunch of Avengers and mutants, she then just disappears for years.

Its really Quicksilver who pressured her into it, Quicksilver does a bunch of stuff with the inhumans but they never really address it in a meaningful way

It was Dr Doom the whole time, I dont remember there being any followup to this either. Like Dr. Doom doesnt declare war on the mutants, nothing.

Wanda is kind of sad, but she would like the X-men to stop whining about all the dead and depowered mutants, this just makes her come off like a huge asshole.

Wanda is no longer a mutant so lets pretend that the past 50 years of comics never happened, oh dear god this is one of the stupidest retcons ever. It basically left Quicksilver with nowhere to go, it made Wanda Maximoff into the Great Pretender, and Marvel writers have spent the past 5 years just flailing around, first their parents are Django and Marya Maximoff, then her mother is Django's sister who was a witch, and no one can figure out who the father is because they still need for something for Quicksilver too do, and they burned down any good will the Inhumans had.

The problem is that you need something for Wanda and Quicksilver that doesnt seem like Marvel's editorial department is just throwing shit at the wall. If Hickman, Ewing, and the other writers actually have a plan to work this in, than its the best shot at actually addressing all the problems in over 15 years at this point.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see where they go with it. Should be interesting.

I would say that the biggest argument for "not doing that" doesn't lie in the issue that its a continuity disaster that makes little sense.

It's that a lot of effort has gone into aligning 616 Wanda and MCU wanda into having similar origins.

Rewriting her into a mutant (why?) blows all that up. Do you still consider it likely?
They're similar, but not that similar. MCU Wanda has latent magical potential that was brought out after her home was bombed and she was experimented on by Hydra.

Comic Wanda having magical potential because her mother was the Sorcerer Supreme for witches and warlocks which was enhanced by living on Wundagore mountain and experimentation by High Evolutionary. Sprinkling in "her magic is boosted by her natural mutant powers of energy manipulation" isn't going to muddle anything.

High Evolutionary's involvement could be explained away by wanting to investigate the magic & mutant potential and later used the post House of M stuff to leverage a "non-mutant" Wanda into advancing whatever super science. Nothing's blown up because nothing's retconned as not happening.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The whole problem with Wanda is that they have never had a follow up plan for Decimation or any of the fixes.

Wanda goes insane and kills a bunch of Avengers and mutants, she then just disappears for years.

Its really Quicksilver who pressured her into it, Quicksilver does a bunch of stuff with the inhumans but they never really address it in a meaningful way

It was Dr Doom the whole time, I dont remember there being any followup to this either. Like Dr. Doom doesnt declare war on the mutants, nothing.

Wanda is kind of sad, but she would like the X-men to stop whining about all the dead and depowered mutants, this just makes her come off like a huge asshole.

Wanda is no longer a mutant so lets pretend that the past 50 years of comics never happened, oh dear god this is one of the stupidest retcons ever. It basically left Quicksilver with nowhere to go, it made Wanda Maximoff into the Great Pretender, and Marvel writers have spent the past 5 years just flailing around, first their parents are Django and Marya Maximoff, then her mother is Django's sister who was a witch, and no one can figure out who the father is because they still need for something for Quicksilver too do, and they burned down any good will the Inhumans had.

The problem is that you need something for Wanda and Quicksilver that doesnt seem like Marvel's editorial department is just throwing shit at the wall. If Hickman, Ewing, and the other writers actually have a plan to work this in, than its the best shot at actually addressing all the problems in over 15 years at this point.

To that i would say that Wanda has always been more of an Avengers character than an X-men character.

Her links to the X-books (other than AvX and HoM) have been extremely thin, but elsewhere? Not so much.

The majority of people familiar with her at this point are going to be familiar with her MCU storyline, which is basically a cleaned up version of where she is in 616 right now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They're similar, but not that similar. MCU Wanda has latent magical potential that was brought out after her home was bombed and she was experimented on by Hydra.

Comic Wanda having magical potential because her mother was the Sorcerer Supreme for witches and warlocks which was enhanced by living on Wundagore mountain and experimentation by High Evolutionary. Sprinkling in "her magic is boosted by her natural mutant powers of energy manipulation" isn't going to muddle anything.

High Evolutionary's involvement could be explained away by wanting to investigate the magic & mutant potential and later used the post House of M stuff to leverage a "non-mutant" Wanda into advancing whatever super science. Nothing's blown up because nothing's retconned as not happening.

The 616 origin is more convoluted, but both currently boil down to her magical abilities being an inherited trait that many people have (or had), as opposed to a unique mutation.

The H/E's involvement was additional tinkering on top of that, but is currently meaningless (for wanda) given where her abilities are now.

Quicksilver is in a different boat, he's sort of stuck being entirely a creation of the H/E.

Oct 8, 2019
To that i would say that Wanda has always been more of an Avengers character than an X-men character.

Her links to the X-books (other than AvX) have been extremely thin, but elsewhere? Not so much.

The majority of people familiar with her at this point are going to be familiar with her MCU storyline, which is basically a cleaned up version of where she is in 616 right now.

But you still have to address it in a meaningful way because having the Avengers and X-men just hating each other is just tiresome.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The 616 origin is more convoluted, but both currently boil down to her magical abilities being an inherited trait that many people have (or had), as opposed to a unique mutation.

The H/E's involvement was additional tinkering on top of that, but is currently meaningless (for wanda) given where her abilities are now.

Quicksilver is in a different boat, he's sort of stuck being entirely a creation of the H/E.
But you can have latent magical traits and be a mutant; the magic doesn't need to be a mutant power and for the mutants who do have latent magical potential like Pixie, none of her mutant powers involve magic. The magic she's learning is just stuff she has a natural aptitude for on top of that. However, if Wanda were a mutant, energy manipulation powers like Polaris and Magneto have would only boost her ability to use her inherent magic, which could then be rationalized as what allowed for her to be able to nuke mutants across the multiverse to the point of requiring a multiversal entity in the Phoenix to reverse.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which will then lead to an X-Men arc where they fight the High Evolutionary who reveals that the ruse, along with the third "sibling" were all part of his plan to have the Animen be the evolutionary successors to humankind, not mutants.
I'm not sure if this is what you're referencing, but the High Evolutionary is indeed making an antagonistic appearance early on in this run of X-Men.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99% sure this ends with Wanda being a mutant, resurrected, and the killer getting off because she's not technically a human... so no Krakoan laws were broken. I'm sure there will be plenty of twists along the way, but I expect that to be the ultimate outcome and I'll be happy for it.

It's the only reason to even do this. No one likes that she isn't a mutant anymore and they know that. The movie franchise incentive to divorce her from the X-Men is no longer there. Is it gonna be messy? Sure. Is that new for comics? Lol.

And making her a mutant again doesn't equal out to letting her off the hook fur decimation or everyone being happy about the outcome or anything like that. If anything, this will just lead to new dramatic avenues.

I honestly thought Wanda being the victim was too obvious for them to actually do, but since they are? Yeah, they're chugging her back. 100%.

Which will then lead to an X-Men arc where they fight the High Evolutionary who reveals that the ruse, along with the third "sibling" were all part of his plan to have the Animen be the evolutionary successors to humankind, not mutants.

Guess who's going to be in X-Men #3? :b

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only reason to even do this. No one likes that she isn't a mutant anymore and they know that. The movie franchise incentive to divorce her from the X-Men is no longer there. Is it gonna be messy? Sure. Is that new for comics? Lol.

And making her a mutant again doesn't equal out to letting her off the hook fur decimation or everyone being happy about the outcome or anything like that. If anything, this will just lead to new dramatic avenues.

I honestly thought Wanda being the victim was too obvious for them to actually do, but since they are? Yeah, they're chugging her back. 100%.
And once Slott leaves FF, I'm sure they could use the same mechanism to retcon Slott's stupid retcon, too.

And while we're at it, let's fix Squirrel Girl.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally a thousand people on Krakoa who might have motive to kill Wanda.
Although obviously the culprit is probably going to be a named character.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Strangulation most certainly isn't the cause of death either or if it is, that implies Wanda was in on it. She can obviously defend herself from something like that.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Suspects then:

Mystique- Bitter at Magneto for refusing to resurrect Destiny, though I think the Trial of Magneto story is happening the same time as Inferno.
Magneto- Wants his surrogate daughter to be a mutant.
Fabian Cortez- Humiliated by Magneto at the Quiet Council while advocating for the right to kill humans.
Exodus- Is on the Quiet Council and hasn't done anything apart from demonise Wanda to kids.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will be Mystique. They'll probably save her now for Inferno.
I think they might do a double bluff thing. Where at first you think Mags did it, then they'll shed doubt on that towards other suspects, then finally it will be revealed that it was Magneto after all.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Sinister could murder Wanda and get away with it by blaming his clone but I can't think of a good motive for him. He's got her DNA already.

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, there's no real motive for anyone to do it other than Mystique or Cortez, especially at the Gala. That smacks of wanting to either break the council or utterly destroy Magneto's hold on Krakoan power.

Oct 8, 2019
Here's what we know

Wanda appears to have marks on her neck, implying that she was strangled to death or had a broken neck

Here's the suspects

Magneto: Wants Wanda back in his life, and might have killed her to force resurrection in an attempt to make her a mutant. The problem is that if Magneto killed her why would he dump her body near a few bushes were it was easily spotted. Also he is the Master of Magnetism and could kill Wanda in ways a lot quicker than grabbing her throat.

Exodus: Hates Wanda, but also really likes Magneto. Cant really think of why he would force the situation like this

Beast: E-mailed Wanda to have her go through a Krakoan gate, which was right before Magneto e-mailed her about coming to meet him. Beast is also on the outs because of his recent behavior in X-Force

Scarlet-Witch-e-mail.jpg

Mystique: Hates Magneto and Professor X because they continually deny Destiny resurrection. Killing Wanda to frame Magneto will also bring the rest of the family which means more people she gets to kill, also this will also cause the Kree-Skrull Alliance to want revenge because they warned Magneto about how they didnt like how mutants treated Wanda.

So here's a thought

Mystique creates a fake e-mail address asking Wanda to meet her at this time and place. Beast suggest that Wanda try a Krakoan gate, which she does. Notice that Wanda seems to go by gate, and more importantly is missing a flower. Mystique pretending to be Magneto embraces her before attacking her, Wanda shocked by whats happening cant defend herself and dies. Mystique teaming up with Beast can get the trial to go the way she wants, and both get what they want, which is to create havoc. Mystique for revenge, and Beast because he can get the council to forget Terra Verde. This obviously brings Wiccan, and Quicksilver to Krakoa, while also bringing the Avengers and Kree-Skrull Alliance as well. This gives Mystique more targets, and will lead to the promised Inferno which will presumably lead to the big cosmic event that S.W.O.R.D and Guardians of the Galaxy have been hinting at.

To be fair, there's no real motive for anyone to do it other than Mystique or Cortez, especially at the Gala. That smacks of wanting to either break the council or utterly destroy Magneto's hold on Krakoan power.

Exodus and Beast have motives

Exodus hates Wanda as the Great Pretender

Beast has done actions that have put him on thin ice, so why not frame Magneto.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Cortez and Exodus would conceivably opportunistically murder Wanda if they drunkenly stumbled across her in the woods. You would have thought Wanda could have defended herself though so it seems to be a pre-meditated murder and she was either ambushed or had reason to trust her killer.

Oct 26, 2017
Exodus and Beast have motives

Exodus hates Wanda as the Great Pretender

Beast has done actions that have put him on thin ice, so why not frame Magneto.

Exodus hates Wanda but could also kill her with a thought but he's extremely unlikely to do anything that could harm Krakoa so while yes he has motive, he's also the least likely suspect on the island lol.

Beast doesn't really have a logical motive, especially as Emma is aware of exactly what he's done already. Pinning a completely unrelated murder on Magneto after going through the trouble of trying to quell an international incident quietly would be fairly insane.

Whatever's happened, it's something that can't have a telepath read his mind or have Rachel look through time and see what happened and simply exonerate Magneto... Hell, if they were feeling particularly callous, they could have Layla Miller resurrect her and interrogate her directly... So maybe it was Magneto, possessed by Onslaught.

Oct 8, 2019
Exodus hates Wanda but could also kill her with a thought but he's extremely unlikely to do anything that could harm Krakoa so while yes he has motive, he's also the least likely suspect on the island lol.

Beast doesn't really have a logical motive, especially as Emma is aware of exactly what he's done already. Pinning a completely unrelated murder on Magneto after going through the trouble of trying to quell an international incident quietly would be fairly insane.

Whatever's happened, it's something that can't have a telepath read his mind or have Rachel look through time and see what happened and simply exonerate Magneto... Hell, if they were feeling particularly callous, they could have Layla Miller resurrect her and interrogate her directly... So maybe it was Magneto, possessed by Onslaught.

I will just say I will be extremely disappointed if the reveal is Onslaught possessed Magneto and killed Wanda because that would be on par with "Oh Dr. Doom did it, yeah Wanda Maximoff's completely innocent because she was manipulated by Dr. Doom who for some reason wanted to depower all mutants"

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trial of Magneto #1 cover is out:

XMENTRIAL2021001-BrooksVar.jpg

This lends credence to the idea that Magneto is holding the trial rather than being put on trial.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Beast and Terra whatever have anything to do with it. I'm so bored by that storyline and it seems so inconsequential.

I know that things build and build but I see "The Trial of Magneto" as a separate event that probably won't be too reliant on knowing what's happened in books like X-Force. I don't think it has anything to do with any of the current storylines in X-Factor, Wolverine, Way of X, Sword, etc. I think it's going to be it's own thing related to the main history of the Marvel Universe, Wanda's history and the Krakoa status quo.

House of M was a big storyline that you could step right into but you didn't necessarily need to have read Avengers Disassembled beforehand.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trial of Magneto #1 cover is out:

XMENTRIAL2021001-BrooksVar.jpg

This lends credence to the idea that Magneto is holding the trial rather than being put on trial.

Is there any real point to this? Given how popular Wanda is now they'll probably just reveal that she isn't actually dead, she just made the mutants think she was so they'd leave her alone. 🤣

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Question, what do the wider Marvel Universe as well as pepole like Tony,Reed,etc think of Krakoa/everything going on with the X-Men?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Question, what do the wider Marvel Universe as well as pepole like Tony,Reed,etc think of Krakoa/everything going on with the X-Men?
Reed is uneasy about it because of his son. The only other main people that have commented that I know of are Dr. Doom-who of course thinks it's beneath him-and Captain America. He feels that humans could have done more to help mutants-but is now feeling weird about mutants conquering Mars. He says he always felt we would all colonize other worlds "together"-meaning that mutants are clearly in their own path now and moving forward without humanity and he feels sad that there wasn't a united front. Tony and the others showed up to the Gala. Wakanda has turned down Krakoa's gift offerings.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, Cable #11 was great. loved the pacing, loved the ensemble cast, deadpool was great, jean was great, magik was great, cable getting dumped was hilarious, lot of touching moments with old man cable getting resurrected, jean and scott having a moment seeing cable mature, cable and esme, magik and old man cable. lot of great reaction shots too, I love noto's style. this book is so good. probably gonna splurge for a hardcover if they do one