• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Way of X ending with a one shot in September, Trial of Magneto and Inferno should both end in December. Seems like a natural end point for Reign of X. 2022 will probably be ????? of X. Since Hellfire Gala was the big crossover event for Reign and Inferno is just a mini, I wonder if they will start the next stage of this saga with a crossover early next year...

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Reading the new AIPT X-Men Monday article and it sounds like Hickman's contract ends with inferno! Makes me sad as that seems to indicate the end of krakoa...

Also, they hint that something might happen between Scott and Jean:(

Oct 25, 2017
Way of X ending with a one shot in September, Trial of Magneto and Inferno should both end in December. Seems like a natural end point for Reign of X. 2022 will probably be ????? of X. Since Hellfire Gala was the big crossover event for Reign and Inferno is just a mini, I wonder if they will start the next stage of this saga with a crossover early next year...

Oh no Way of X is ending already?

Oct 25, 2017
It would only be palatable this time if Scott leaves jean for Logan...
ok i'm back in

tenor.gif

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I thought it was confirmed that they were doing the TV Series model? 6 issues of one season. 6 of another, etc.

Maybe I just made that up.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Way of X always felt like a miniseries idea anyways
It does. I don't know how they'd make exploring the philosophy and religion a long form thing. An arc against the Purifiers, Church of Humanity, and those mutant cultists would be sure things, but beyond that, no idea.

Some of these books should be rotating mini-series though. And backups! CoTA could be a backup in the main X-Men book.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Erm, he said to relax...
Yeah, it could very well be a "we'll talk about plans beyond Inferno when the time is right". They want to hype that up right now, no point in talking about what's happening after that, especially since we can expect that series to drop some bombs in regards to the status quo.

Marvel could stand to do what DC is with some of their series, and organize limited runs into "seasons".

That way readers expect a discreet story arc, and it leaves the door open for another run in the future if there is demand. Season 2, 3, etc.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking if Wanda is the one killed by magneto and he potentially walks. They are definitely going to war with the kree/ skrull alliance. They would of killed their kings mom. Heck it's even referenced in sword.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Unclear, but the solicits through Way #5 and The Onslaught Revelation certainly lean that way.

Spurrier has said the Onslaught one-shot is like a season finale to the first Way of X arc but that the series will continue, although who knows. All the X series are ongoings until they suddenly aren't. I really like Way of X but it feels very niche.

It does. I don't know how they'd make exploring the philosophy and religion a long form thing. An arc against the Purifiers, Church of Humanity, and those mutant cultists would be sure things, but beyond that, no idea.

Some of these books should be rotating mini-series though. And backups! CoTA could be a backup in the main X-Men book.

Yeah, a lot of these books could easily be limited series up front. With something like X-Corp I won't even bother checking it out until it hits MU because it feels like it's on borrowed time from issue 1. Even Maruaders, which is selling well, feels like a thin premise stretched too far, but it gets by because the cast is so strong. I'm hoping Storm moving to SWORD gives that series legs because it has a lot of potential.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Spurrier has said the Onslaught one-shot is like a season finale to the first Way of X arc but that the series will continue, although who knows. All the X series are ongoings until they suddenly aren't. I really like Way of X but it feels very niche.
It sounds like the creative team is going to continue but maybe it won't be called Way of X?

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
So I was thinking if Wanda is the one killed by magneto and he potentially walks. They are definitely going to war with the kree/ skrull alliance. They would of killed their kings mom. Heck it's even referenced in sword.
Unless he does it as a way of arguing and proving she is a mutant and then having her resurrected...

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Careful out there on the internet. Twitter has X-Factor #10 spoilers out in the open thanks to Australia and the magic of time zones.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sad for X-Factor. The last two issues have been so rushed, having to tie up major plot threads that were intended to span 10-20 issues. And the sad goodbyes at the end.
Cancelling this and keeping Excalibur is the worst decision the X-Office have made since Fallen Angels.

That said, I called this ages ago and you all pooh-poohed me, now who's laughing? Spoiler: not me, because omg poor Speed.

There's an interesting potential subversion that someone pointed out on Reddit: we're all interpreting The Trial of Magneto as Magneto being put on trial, but what if it's Magneto holding the trial? I went back over the event announcement and solicits, and nothing explicitly says it's Magneto on trial for murder - just that there's a murder and a trial.

Edit: In case anyone isn't aware, Cable and COTA are both a month behind due to delays, which is why Cable's issue isn't set at the same time as the Gala and why someone from COTA shows up in X-Factor while a pre-Gala storyline is happening in COTA.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the new AIPT X-Men Monday article and it sounds like Hickman's contract ends with inferno! Makes me sad as that seems to indicate the end of krakoa...
I don't know, there's definitely something afoot but I can't tell what :

AIPT: OK, as we wrap up, let's try to resolve two issues of great concern for fans of Jonathan Hickman's X-Men era. X-Fan My mutant power is spell check asked, with the Hellfire Gala ending this week and Inferno on the horizon, where are we in the grand scheme of this mutant epic? The first act? The second? Neither?

Jordan: You know, I think the answer is that those terms are obsolete at this point, that we've moved past that idea so far that we're not really charting it on that map.

AIPT: Yeah, I see a lot of people bring this up and I assume Jonathan mentioned the acts initially?

Jordan: For sure. What it is is that Jonathan came in with plans. Jonathan came in with plans like he always does, but working with everybody changed his plans and they have changed to a degree that trying to apply his original act structure to it — it doesn't work. That's not the structure we're following right now. It's a new one and it's one that he likes better. So the answer is, we're not in an act…

AIPT: The answer is don't worry about it.

Jordan: We're in X-Men for all time, forever, eternally.

AIPT: And then X-Fans Miguel2004, Griffin and AdamTheUncaring are all concerned that Jonathan Hickman's time with the X-Men is ending after Inferno. Should these X-Fans keep worrying or should they relax?

Jordan: They should relax, but you know, you'll see. The answer is you'll see where we are and big things are going to happen in Inferno in more ways than one. And you'll get more information about Inferno pretty soon — relatively soon — before it comes out for sure. But don't worry. We do have a lot of stuff mapped out. We do have a lot of plans that Jonathan has been working on with everybody and yeah, you'll see. And you'll find out more very soon.

I don't know if they're preparing people to the idea Hickman is leaving the X-Office but they'll keep that general paradigm and creative teams, or if his role is changing or something like that.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The potentially good news is that everything else isn't pausing for/being caught up in Inferno like X of Swords. So we can at least be sure that the status quo is being kept afterwards to some degree.

This era is the most interesting thing they've done with the X-Men in a very long time, so I imagine it'll be a case where Hickman hands over the showrunner role to someone else, with an agreement for Marvel to bring him back for Fall of X or whatever, rather than going ahead and nuking it now.

Thought experiment: If this era is wiped out using the Moira reincarnation nuke at some point in the future, then I wonder if we'll get a "Dallas dream season" situation where Krakoa never happened and none of the developments over these years are acknowledged by any Marvel books ever.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Welp, guess some people weren't too far off on who the body was going to be for Trial of Magneto.

I'm so sad for X-Factor. The last two issues have been so rushed, having to tie up major plot threads that were intended to span 10-20 issues. And the sad goodbyes at the end.
Cancelling this and keeping Excalibur is the worst decision the X-Office have made since Fallen Angels.

I wouldn't go *that* far, but Excalibur has seemed to be kind of aimless since Apocalypse left. Hopefully they have something significant planned for it because otherwise the book isn't all that compelling and one of the lynchpins of the team (Rogue) is leaving.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trial of Magneto is gonna be fire.

Laughing at the Knight of Galador using a cane, excited about the REDACTED in 2023

Edit: In case anyone isn't aware, Cable and COTA are both a month behind due to delays, which is why Cable's issue isn't set at the same time as the Gala and why someone from COTA shows up in X-Factor while a pre-Gala storyline is happening in COTA.

Thanks for this, that confused the hell out of me.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
you weren't kidding although we all saw this coming, should be interesting to see how they make a trial without just having someone read his mind to see what happened.

The "no memory of the event" trope is easy enough to use I suppose here. Though it's obvious to the reader at least that Magneto had nothing to do with it.

Oct 26, 2017
Cause of death appears to be strangulation. Seems mundane for the master of magnetism. Not sure how I felt about the Prodigy subplot either.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Imagine if they resurrect Wanda as a mutant but Pietro is still out there.

Wanda isn't a mutant though, unless they want to Retcon out Uncanny Avengers. They *could* but it would be a ridiculous mess on top of what is already a ridiculous retcon mess.

Edit: Jason Aaron would definitely do it though, just to be clear.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wanda isn't a mutant though, unless they want to Retcon out Uncanny Avengers. They *could* but it would be a ridiculous mess on top of what is already a ridiculous retcon mess.
I'm still thinking that this is where this is leading to. They are going to resurrect her - and Magneto somehow convinces them to change her to a mutant using Proteus's powers-so her new body is a mutant body.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm still thinking that this is where this is leading to. They are going to resurrect her - and Magneto somehow convinces them to change her to a mutant using Proteus's powers-so her new body is a mutant body.

This seems a bit unlikely.

Xavier and Magneto in particular were pretty shitty to Franklin Richards after they discovered he had been faking his X-gene, and Magneto specifically had a line (in SWORD?) about not needing the assistance of any more false mutants.

It would also leave Quicksilver in a weird limbo where he's still not a mutant and she is- unless they kill him too.

Wanda and Pietro also have a third sibling created by the High Evolutionary with both of their abilities that is not a mutant who is still just wandering around somewhere?

That Uncanny Avengers arc wasn't particularly LONG but it did introduce a lot of stuff for those two that's just difficult to ignore. Not saying it COULDN'T happen (and I expect Wanda to show up alive sooner rather than later) but the X-books have been pretty good so far about not taking a wrecking ball to continuity for shock value (as Aaron does, all the time). If this was Avengers? I'd be 100% on board. With X-men I'm not so sure.

edit: it is pretty odd though that Quicksilver has been MIA since his brief miniseries following "No Surrender" in 2018 though. No cameos, guest appearances, or even a mention that I can recall. If I was a writer wanting to throw a curveball I'd have quicksilver be the guilty party- KOing Magneto at high speed, strangling wanda, then getting the hell out of dodge before anyone realized I was there.

Last edited:

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
I'm 99% sure this ends with Wanda being a mutant, resurrected, and the killer getting off because she's not technically a human... so no Krakoan laws were broken. I'm sure there will be plenty of twists along the way, but I expect that to be the ultimate outcome and I'll be happy for it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% sure this ends with Wanda being a mutant, resurrected, and the killer getting off because she's not technically a human... so no Krakoan laws were broken. I'm sure there will be plenty of twists along the way, but I expect that to be the ultimate outcome and I'll be happy for it.
Which will then lead to an X-Men arc where they fight the High Evolutionary who reveals that the ruse, along with the third "sibling" were all part of his plan to have the Animen be the evolutionary successors to humankind, not mutants.