• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
How is there no going back? All they have to do is blow up the planet and we're back to before X of Swords, there's a reason only Arakko was plopped on Mars, they're leaving the door wide open to undo this in the future.
The whole thing was setup to be undone by Moira's lives resetting on her death.

When they want to move on without all of the hardcore stuff of this run, they can kill Moira, which will reset time back to her birth. Then they'll keep all of the Marvel canon up to the point where they want to reset, with the difference being that Xavier, Moira, and Magneto did things differently so mutants end up not colonizing the moon in such a spectacular fashion, Arakki mutants are trimmed down except for the ones that matter like Isca, and any other plot point that contributes to the eventual mutants vs machines vs universal black hole intelligence.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The planet molding stuff was cool, but since Jamie can twist reality to make whatever he wants, couldn't he just as easily have terraformed the entire planet single handedly?
Probably, probably not. Depends on how we're going to define the reality manipulator/warper shit and how Jamie usually tinkers with what's already there versus making stuff from scratch, and so on. But that wouldn't be as spectacular as Magneto pulling a giant hunk of rock out of deep space.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The planet molding stuff was cool, but since Jamie can twist reality to make whatever he wants, couldn't he just as easily have terraformed the entire planet single handedly?

Does he have that kind of range to warp everything at once? Or even the stamina...before the S.W.O.R.D. 2 station he already said that this is the most he's worked in a while

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Of course there is always a reset button, just like you can always put the original team of X-Men back together after Giant-Sized

My point is that Planet-Sized feels like it is supposed to set up a new normal a place that can be treated as a starting point beyond Dawn of X for any person who comes onto the book later.

Its probably the biggest red issues we've gotten since Dawn of X concluded.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Maybe.

But then if wouldn't have been the show of force that it was. One mutant does all this and you can kill em and feel safe, the point was that mutants working in unison can do unimaginable things.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

The point is the optics of it. For humans and mutants alike to witness and think on what mutants can achieve as a collective society.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Planet Size X-Men. It's funny how merely a few weeks ago my anxiety over mutants maintaining their hold on Krakoa and its dominance was reaching critical levels, and now we have something arguably more incredible.

The only thing that felt off to me is how everything went swimmingly well in the issue. It was one big issue of non-stop bold successes. It Reading the issue while having Rick & Marty's "Heist" episode in the background felt funny and fitting. Somehow this issue felt like a giant heist montage.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Planet Size X-Men. It's funny how merely a few weeks ago my anxiety over mutants maintaining their hold on Krakoa and its dominance was reaching critical levels, and now we have something arguably more incredible.

The only thing that felt off to me is how everything went swimmingly well in the issue. It was one big issue of non-stop bold successes. It Reading the issue while having Rick & Marty's "Heist" episode in the background felt funny and fitting. Somehow this issue felt like a giant heist montage.

This makes me realize how well this blows up the "it's ending with Inferno" talk. It was always obvious it wasn't, that that's clearly just the next big step in the overall story, but boy was this a thorough rebuking.

Mutants aren't going anywhere they don't plan to any time soon.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant issue. Absolutely brilliant.

This is so exciting to see after years of witnessing Mutants on the receiving end of prejudice, discrimination and genocide.

God bless Hickman and his team.

Someone get Jean out of that hideous outfit though fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Franklin isn't a mutant...he was just a mutant because he wanted to be and his powers made him one...

www.ign.com

This Marvel Hero Is No Longer a Mutant, and Fans Are Angry - IGN

One of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe has just learned they aren't actually a mutant at all. Find out who just learned the bad news.

I would just like to go on record and say that years upon years upon years ago on a forum that won't be named. I said this and they all laughed. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MUAHAHAHAA

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I would just like to go on record and say that years upon years upon years ago on a forum that won't be named. I said this and they all laughed. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MUAHAHAHAA
THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

tenor.gif

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should introduce a fourth law that says we don't talk about Franklin.
We can keep Wanda because making fun of her still works.
And nobody talks about Pietro anyway lol

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
The kid remade the entire multiverse. Even if he was still considered a mutant, what he can do is not fireworks.

They needed to show how multiple mutants working together could change everything. Using Franklin wouldn't work for thst.
So even if Franklin was still one of them, they wouldn't use him ?

Tbh I don't miss Pietro and Wanda but that Franklin retcon still hurt.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Pepe is cracked, my god.

Giving Mars to Arakko, and world-building that goes along with that, was the twist that kept this from just being what we all thought it would be. The execution was cool to see though. Looking forward to SWORD to keep this train going to redeem this event.

It's kind of interesting that Mutants have Mars, while Orchis has Mercury and Venus, sort of. Aren't the Inhumans also supposed to have a kingdom on the moon? I love how it's like they don't even exist anymore lmao.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting that Mutants have Mars, while Orchis has Mercury and Venus, sort of.
Yeah, like I said last week, I could still see everything past Mars as mutant territory, while going sunward, it's human / Orchis territory with Earth acting as a buffer between the two.
The next thing you know, they're gonna Gundam this shit and mutants will be mining the Asteroid Belt and getting Helium 3 from Jupiter to blow the fuck out of Orchis in a full solar system war lol.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Who's the bearded guy in New Mutant's latest issue? At first I thought it was a JVN cameo (Queer Eye) but the guy in the issue is a total douche.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Dan Slott. The Franklin disrespect has found it's way to Hickman's X-men. I almost tossed the book. Pretender my ass.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I wish we had seen more of what the Arakko mutants got up to on earth and th response to them. There was a lot of potential stories there and now they're gone.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just dawned on me that when the council is all wishywashy about Gabby's resurrection that's another shit storm they're gonna have to deal with

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I want for Pietro and Wanda tbh. Their de-mutanting was a result of an unpopular editorial mandate and I'm surprised they're still rolling with it.

Yeah. You could go with something like "High Evolutionary lied to drive a wedge between the Maximoffs and Mutantkind because her combination of Chaos Magic and mutant probability manipulation would be too powerful of a tool for ensuring mutant survival, and he wants to control what replaces humans"

Who do we think Magneto kills? Maybe the painter guy?

I've seen the theory floated that the murder victim could be Krakoa itself.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. You could go with something like "High Evolutionary lied to drive a wedge between the Maximoffs and Mutantkind because her combination of Chaos Magic and mutant probability manipulation would be too powerful of a tool for ensuring mutant survival, and he wants to control what replaces humans"

Damnit, no. It's too early to tear it all down.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

High Evolutionary should become a villain simply because Mars poses a threat to Counter-Earth.

Pay me Marvel!

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Could they....resurrect Krakoa?
Can Krakoa even be birthed from an egg Goldball makes? Questionable, but I think about it this way - Sinister has to archive every genomic detail about you, and Xavier has to archive every psychic detail about your mind. They can't even understand what Krakoa is saying without Doug, much less be able to archive every detail with nothing missing. My vote is no.

Oct 25, 2017
Can Krakoa even be birthed from an egg Goldball makes? Questionable, but I think about it this way - Sinister has to archive every genomic detail about you, and Xavier has to archive every psychic detail about your mind. They can't even understand what Krakoa is saying without Doug, much less be able to archive every detail with nothing missing. My vote is no.
that's my guess as well

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Could they....resurrect Krakoa?
that's my guess as well
I'm voting yes. Krakoa has been cloned before and not being able to understand someone wouldn't preclude Xavier being able to back up Krakoa's consciousness.

Remember, even before he recruited Doug, Charles was having telepathic communication with the island, as basic as it was. Not that it matters. If he can back up someone's mind without having to know Farsi, he can do the same to Krakoa.

That's assuming Krakoa would even need to be backed up; for all we know it can exist as a non-corporeal being like Proteus.

edit: Also, Sinister already has Krakoa's DNA.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I'm voting yes. Krakoa has been cloned before and not being able to understand someone wouldn't preclude Xavier being able to back up Krakoa's consciousness.

Remember, even before he recruited Doug, Charles was having telepathic communication with the island, as basic as it was. Not that it matters. If he can back up someone's mind without having to know Farsi, he can do the same to Krakoa.

That's assuming Krakoa would even need to be backed up; for all we know it can exist as a non-corporeal being like Proteus.

edit: Also, Sinister already has Krakoa's DNA.

Yeah I mean, the feats of cloning and replicating people and creatures is so vast and varied in the MU, even outside of X-Men, it's kind of a wonder why The Five are special at all. Sinister makes clones of anyone, at any age, all the time. Why don't we just use clone farms for bodies instead? For some reason, even though I don't remember reading this, I had the impression - from early Dawn of X conversations in this thread - that the process of Xavier and The Five is special, in that souls actually exist in the MU and the Mutant's process causes them to reunite after death. So we can say resurrected Mutants are actually the same person and not just endless disposable "The Prestige" copies. Why do I have this impression? Is this actually a thing or did my brain make that up lol?

Your Farsi example makes sense, but somehow in my head, there's a difference between not knowing something, and it being unknowable to you. That with Xavier's vast powers, he can only read emotions and intentions from Krakoa and NOT at all what he's saying. That there's a mystery box you can't wrap your head around makes it harder for me to believe you can then just replicate this black box into another body. Of course, like I said, your example does make sense and I'm probably reading too much into how enigmatic Krakoa seems be portrayed to me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean, the feats of cloning and replicating people and creatures is so vast and varied in the MU, even outside of X-Men, it's kind of a wonder why The Five are special at all. Sinister makes clones of anyone, at any age, all the time. Why don't we just use clone farms for bodies instead? For some reason, even though I don't remember reading this, I had the impression - from early Dawn of X conversations in this thread - that the process of Xavier and The Five is special, in that souls actually exist in the MU and the Mutant's process causes them to reunite after death. So we can say resurrected Mutants are actually the same person and not just endless disposable "The Prestige" copies. Why do I have this impression? Is this actually a thing or did my brain make that up lol?

Your Farsi example makes sense, but somehow in my head, there's a difference between not knowing something, and it being unknowable to you. That with Xavier's vast powers, he can only read emotions and intentions from Krakoa and NOT at all what he's saying. That there's a mystery box you can't wrap your head around makes it harder for me to believe you can then just replicate this black box into another body. Of course, like I said, your example does make sense and I'm probably reading too much into how enigmatic Krakoa seems be portrayed to me.
The Five are "special" because of the rate, speed, and lack of flaws their clone bodies have. Sinister clones take time, The Jackal's clones tend to either not be 100% accurate or they disintegrate. And they can pick up and do it anywhere. If the mutants need to run over to the Andromeda galaxy or the Shi'Ar galaxy, they don't need to worry about grabbing their cloning tech, either.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel like Gabby is going to be a problem to resurrect, she's biologically different enough from Laura to not be counted as a direct clone.