• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I concede this was impressive. Not just terraforming, but fundamentally altering the core of a planet - that's some hardcore stuff, and it took what, 10 mutants?

Man, the nasty Franklin cuts keep coming though.

Last edited:

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Hi ho, I'm reading the whole Jonathan Hickman's X-Men thing, finished House of X and Powers of X, I'm currently reading X of Swords but I am quite confused as to where I would have to continue later. Just the normal X-Men issues?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Hi ho, I'm reading the whole Jonathan Hickman's X-Men thing, finished House of X and Powers of X, I'm currently reading X of Swords but I am quite confused as to where I would have to continue later. Just the normal X-Men issues?
After Hox/PoX you can read the Dawn of X trades of single issues, there's a reading order at the end of every issue. If you jumped straight from HoX/PoX to XoS you missed dozens of issues.

If you follow the reading order feel free to skip issues of series you don't like.

After X of Swords the first issue would be Hellions #7

5b457799-dcbb-41c2-ajckj0.jpeg

After HoX/PoX the first issue is X-Men #1

52a8be01-92b0-416f-9klj2g.jpeg

But like I said, feel free to skip series you don't like.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else not have New Mutants 19 show up? I'm subscribed to the series but it's showing as "add to cart" on Comixology

OK, I concede this was impressive. Not just terraforming, but fundamentally altering the core of a planet - that's some hardcore stuff, and it took what, 10 mutants?

Man, the nasty Franklin cuts keep coming though.

That Franklin line was again brutal

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
After Hox/PoX you can read the Dawn of X trades of single issues, there's a reading order at the end of every issue. If you jumped straight from HoX/PoX to XoS you missed dozens of issues.

If you follow the reading order feel free to skip issues of series you don't like.

After X of Swords the first issue would be Hellions #7

5b457799-dcbb-41c2-ajckj0.jpeg

After HoX/PoX the first issue is X-Men #1

52a8be01-92b0-416f-9klj2g.jpeg

But like I said, feel free to skip series you don't like.

For now I'm interested in pretty much anything, although I really really like the moments where Xavier and Magneto plot stuff. I'll read this in this order instead and see what I like and such. Thank you so much!!!

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Planet Arakko is the capital of the Solar System"

Yeah, this will not be seen as hostile.
"Let me congratulate mutantdom on the conquest of your home planet"

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Larraz is amazing. Wow. And although Hickman didn't write this issue you can really feel his hands all over this. Incredible stuff.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Larraz is amazing. Wow. And although Hickman didn't write this issue you can really feel his hands all over this. Incredible stuff.

Amazing to contrast how consistently good this output is, with how terrible Heroes Reborn is.

Might want to brush up on your English lessons, guy. I'm correct here.

coax[SUP]1[/SUP]
/kōks/

verb

1. gently and persistently persuade (someone) to do something.
    "the trainees were coaxed into doing boring work"

Nothing there says Xavier was responsible, only that he persuaded her telepathically. At BEST it's "gentle assistance." But nice try.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It had that Hickmann thing where he pulls like 25 new characters in the span of a minute but Planet size was good, and feel a bit like It's undoing X of Swords.

The other two series where great this week too, i assume the nazi brothers are getting punished for this?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It had that Hickmann thing where he pulls like 25 new characters in the span of a minute but Planet size was good, and feel a bit like It's undoing X of Swords.

The other two series where great this week too, i assume the nazi brothers are getting punished for this?

I agree with the rapid fire "where did all of these people come from" thing. Felt like I barely had time to get my hands around who was who.
It DID seem like this issue sort of slid under the radar that the X-men (or at least Magneto) are aware of where Absalom Mercator is and what he's doing. Up until this point that seemed a bit vague.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They know them but it sucks that the Arakko mutants feel mostly like Pokémons, and in a run that is mostly about mutant asserting their place, it feels like making them second-rate characters has some troubling implications.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They know them but it sucks that the Arakko mutants feel mostly like Pokémons, and in a run that is mostly about mutant asserting their place, it feels like making them second-rate characters has some troubling implications.

Not sure I get the Pokemon reference.

As for the Arakii, one would think the problem is the opposite. They've recently gotten into the habit of simply "asserting" dominance of human property by force simply because they can. There was an incident in the UK in Cable (again over alcohol, oddly enough), in addition to this second incident in Japan. Asserting their place is what they do, but that isn't sustainable on planet Earth.

Humanity simply isn't equipped to deal with millions of warlike, combat ready mutants if it came to blows which is why what Cap said made a lot of sense. Arakko appearing out of nowhere would have put the entire planet on Red Alert if not full blown panic. Nice to see that point (finally) addressed.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Might want to brush up on your English lessons, guy. I'm correct here.

coax[SUP]1[/SUP]
/kōks/

verb

1. gently and persistently persuade (someone) to do something.
    "the trainees were coaxed into doing boring work"

Nothing there says Xavier was responsible, only that he persuaded her telepathically. At BEST it's "gentle assistance." But nice try.

Way to stop at the first definition only

"arrange (something) carefully into a particular shape or position."

Xavier (the subject doing the coaxing) arranged "something" (Emma's consciousness) carefully into a particular "position" (her physical brain)

"Professor Xavier telepathically coaxed her mind back out of Iceman's body"...stated right there...in plain English.

To make your desperate fabrication make any sense, the text would have had to read "Professor Xavier telepathically coaxed EMMA to bring her mind back out of Iceman's body"

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Way to stop at the first definition only

"arrange (something) carefully into a particular shape or position."

Xavier (the subject doing the coaxing) arranged "something" (Emma's consciousness) carefully into a particular "position" (her physical brain)

"Professor Xavier telepathically coaxed her mind back out of Iceman's body"...stated right there...in plain English.

To make your desperate fabrication make any sense, the text would have had to read "Professor Xavier telepathically coaxed EMMA to bring her mind back out of Iceman's body"

you're still here? amazing.

And definitions are arranged from most common/likely to LEAST common/likely, this is how dictionaries work.

Emma was capable of moving her mind on her own. We know this because that's how she got into iceman in the first place. Xavier talking her into putting it BACK (or at worst guiding her through it) is the correct interpretation of the word by the most common definitions. Especially since at the time Emma 1.) was still a villain and 2.) was extremely upset over the hellions being killed.

There's *some* room for debate as to the specific process, but trying to imply it's a "desperate fabrication" in this context is silly and quite honestly a little sad on your end.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
That Franklin line was again brutal

Can anyone refresh me on the whole Franklin situation currently? The latest development I know of was from the FF/XMen crossover, where they tried to figure out why Franklin was losing his powers and Xavier put a mind-block in Reed's mind.

Magneto calling Franklin a pretender is similar to Wanda's status as a pretender too... what does it mean exactly?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
"Planet Arakko is the capital of the Solar System"

Yeah, this will not be seen as hostile.
"Let me congratulate mutantdom on the conquest of your home planet"
Which now obviously meant Mars as they declared it their home planet.

And it makes sense for mutants to present themselves as the rulers of the Sol system. They were some of the first people to make extraterrestrial contact, they have always held good relations with the Shi'ar at the very least.

The biggest thing I took from PlanetSized X-Men is that there is no going back from this anymore. This is the new normal for the mutant race even after Hickman leaves.

Just like Giant-Sized X-Men in the past. This is now the new starting grounds for any writer who takes over a X-Men book.

Mutants did what humanity could not. Colonized Mars and made it impossible for a single planetary disaster to end thier species.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone refresh me on the whole Franklin situation currently? The latest development I know of was from the FF/XMen crossover, where they tried to figure out why Franklin was losing his powers and Xavier put a mind-block in Reed's mind.

Magneto calling Franklin a pretender is similar to Wanda's status as a pretender too... what does it mean exactly?

Franklin isn't a mutant...he was just a mutant because he wanted to be and his powers made him one...

www.ign.com

This Marvel Hero Is No Longer a Mutant, and Fans Are Angry - IGN

One of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe has just learned they aren't actually a mutant at all. Find out who just learned the bad news.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Slott in FF made it so Franklin was never a mutant.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which now obviously meant Mars as they declared it their home planet.

And it makes sense for mutants to present themselves as the rulers of the Sol system. They were some of the first people to make extraterrestrial contact, they have always held good relations with the Shi'ar at the very least.

The biggest thing I took from PlanetSized X-Men is that there is no going back from this anymore. This is the new normal for the mutant race even after Hickman leaves.

Just like Giant-Sized X-Men in the past. This is now the new starting grounds for any writer who takes over a X-Men book.
I'd say yes and no.

No because Hickman has repeatedly said what he was doing could be rolled back if Marvel wanted to (I think "put the toys back in the chest" was his euphemism for it) or it could serve as a new normal. I think it's an incredibly ambitious, well built status quo, but I don't know how things will look by the time Hickman leaves X-Books (hopefully in many years).
I don't really disagree with you though, because by the only metric that ultimately matters, the team here made it 100% believable that this was a seminal moment with a before and an after, of an incredible magnitude. That this lasts or not is up to future writers and editors.

As a Legion fan, I don't know how they fucked that up, but it's crazy that DC didn't manage to secure Hickman on it. Not that I'm complaining, X-books have been a permanent source of joy and excitement for two years now, something I hadn't felt to this degree since the late eighties.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Because Dan Slott doesn't want anyone to use the toys he's currently playing with. The moment he leaves FF, someone needs to go behind him and fix what he broke.

Someone needs to correct Wanda and Pietro, too.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Franklin isn't a mutant...he was just a mutant because he wanted to be and his powers made him one...

www.ign.com

This Marvel Hero Is No Longer a Mutant, and Fans Are Angry - IGN

One of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe has just learned they aren't actually a mutant at all. Find out who just learned the bad news.
Slott in FF made it so Franklin was never a mutant.

Well.. that's a shame.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Laraz is really a god of art. This was just bliss to look at.

These mutants are really bold I give them that. This can only end in disaster.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, Namor is probably still better off avoiding Planet Arrako at this point. That Omega level fish dude mutant could probably hand him his ass.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is Larraz really going to be a regular on X-Men? he strikes me as one of those amazing artists that can't keep a schedule at all, and then everytime he's not on the book it's super jarring *cough*joemadinthe90s*cough*

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
is Larraz really going to be a regular on X-Men? he strikes me as one of those amazing artists that can't keep a schedule at all, and then everytime he's not on the book it's super jarring *cough*joemadinthe90s*cough*

Larraz drew House of X. He's gonna need lead time and breaks (he's human after all), but yeah, I can see him drawing the majority of the run, however long if it (probably a year and a half or so.)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A shot at Franklin is a shot at Slott, fuck him.

Planet-Size X-Men was stunning. Probably one of the favorite books I've read in this entire thing. It was so damn cool

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That callout to Franklin was nice to see.

What an awesome issue though.

Now im really curious how many other upcoming X books had fake solicit text

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Larraz drew House of X. He's gonna need lead time and breaks (he's human after all), but yeah, I can see him drawing the majority of the run, however long if it (probably a year and a half or so.)
And there's plenty of other artists who have styles that invoke Larraz, so even if he does take a break, it's not going to be a jarring change.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Larraz has done other issues in the past with another artist doing the details over Larraz's layouts. (see the last issue of Extermination) So there are ways to stretch out his work lol.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

How is there no going back? All they have to do is blow up the planet and we're back to before X of Swords, there's a reason only Arakko was plopped on Mars, they're leaving the door wide open to undo this in the future.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The planet molding stuff was cool, but since Jamie can twist reality to make whatever he wants, couldn't he just as easily have terraformed the entire planet single handedly?